Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vare Campaign - your thoughts apreciated
Old 15 Apr 2010, 23:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers
Default Vare Campaign - your thoughts apreciated

so in a couple months me and some mates will be running a little campaign and well im the one that likes to write and take pics lol. so heres a tiny little snippet of whats to come. ive tried a new style of writing and would like to know if the basic idea sounds any good?

[box]
Vare Campaign

Vare is an isolated planet that slowly drifts between Tau and Imperial space.

The only rock with an atmosphere to orbit itís sun, yet many planet sized asteroids orbit with no trace of air or life. This lone dweller of the void receives light but no heat, has air but no life, a history but forgotten. The entire surface has frozen taking hold of trees and fields, trapping all in a tomb of ice and burying everything under millennia of snow and frost.

From the peaks of the highest mountains to the sandy deserts of the equator the planets chilling skin hides the features that makes Vare beautiful.

For millennia Vare has held its prize, a history from before man or Eldar began to crawl. But with the clashing of two armies, a thirst for blood and for glory, cracks are forced into the ice of Varesí depths unleashing the dream that grew out from Vareís once flowing seas. As blood spills and stains the surface a storm grows above, beyond the skies and into the darkness. The warp grows ever more and before long hell rains to Vare, bringing the nightmare that Vare witnessed once before.

Despite all the knowledge that Vare has, the memories of ancient civilisations, the histories of billions of souls, the horrors and the delights of those forgotten - Vare is just a planet. Drifting aimlessly around an un-named star and watching the repetition of war. Not a whisper is said to those who cannot listen.

So the planets and the stars of the galaxy look down upon their sister, the only ones to hear her call, after such a long silence Vare has returned with a tale to tell.
[/box]
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8
Default Re: Vare Campaign - your thoughts apreciated

Does the planet have stragetic use between the two Empires, such as the ability to create a midpoint for attack, because otherwise it seems like a rather usefuless place to attack. The Imperium doesn't own it so I don't see why they would be interested or even know if the Tau attack it, unless you have a plan to do with the lost civilisation. For example, something activating under the surface of the planet which causes both the Tau and the Imperium to discover the lost planet and explore it. Then again, I suppose a Rogue Trader fleet would hit first, but that would give an interesting swist to the campaign. Either way it's looking good so far, and I would like to hear more!
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

in my bat reps ive used the planet as a stage for a some minor battles. basicaly as its right in the middle, the tau made a listening post of no significances. just picking up any imperial chatter from ships that strayed to close. over hundreds of years the listening post expanded to a self sufficient running colony. a single city with hydroponic bays etc (not sure if thats right, huge domes where they grow food in)

if u read my reports then ul know one of the other armies will be space marines, reasons for being there, i cannot say just yet...simply ive not got to that yet. but 2 other armies are also due to come in. now tau and SM fluff i can do. but with a huge 4 way battle in the making i cannot realy write the fluff until we have passed turn 2 of the big battle...WE HAVE A PLAN lol might not work but worth a shot. 8 turns on a large table, 1000 points each, tau and SM fight it out. at end of turn 2 two other armies join the table, placement is random but they will have full force, no deepstike mishaps etc, limited choice on deepstriking placements. i plane to wright the report up but use the spoilers so i can include the fluff at the right time without interupting the report, for those who wish to ignore the fluff and read the action.

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Bonkers
in my bat reps ive used the planet as a stage for a some minor battles. basicaly as its right in the middle, the tau made a listening post of no significances. just picking up any imperial chatter from ships that strayed to close. over hundreds of years the listening post expanded to a self sufficient running colony. a single city with hydroponic bays etc (not sure if thats right, huge domes where they grow food in)
Yeah, I was thinking that you might have used it for this sort of reason, being able to spy on the enemy effectively is a major part of war. Also, does your Sept use it as some sort of launching station where the Tau can refit and refuel 'spy ships' in order to spy on the enemy more effectively. It seems quite natural for the Tau to slowly increases their position on the planet if ships such as this regualry dock and refuel, as greater amenities would be needed the more the station is used.

Yeah, hydroponics is effectively test tube plants (I know it's not exactly this before people jump down my throat :P).

Seems like a pretty cool idea at the moment, and I how it works out for you, just make sure that the fluff is really well thought out, people on here know their stuff. :P
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 00:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

an idea i have for one army is something completely out of the norm. great concept but i can see people will moan or pick at it instead of enjoying it for what it is. still critisim can be ignored or taken on to help improve.

its like in the retail business. the customer is not ALWAYS right. if they say the carpet should smell like puke dosnt mean you will throw up all over it lol.

its trying to get people to be happy with what you can give at the same time as having your own image.

so this campaign i want it to be twisted in many ways. my tau, they are not so much spies. more a cadre that got contempt where they were and no longer seeked for the greater good and settled down. a tau son who learned of this disgrace and so went off into the tau empire and made a name for himself, expanded the borders of the greater good but thats not why he did it, he wanted to bring the Fire Warrior name back to his family line. but overall the planet stayed quiet, unimportant, making the effort not to pick up important communication lines. so a busy spy port may not work.

the space marines, maybe saw that a tiny outpost picked up on one of their communications. not of anything important just a recipe for some good soup, but it was enough to yulk these marines off. steal their soup recipe, how dare they!!!! (just joking, il let my mate try and think of a reason for his army to be there, if not its for the soup recipe, to purge all computer systems so that no tau shall remain in pocession of it lol)

3rd army, great idea i have and i dont think ive seen anything like it yet. i think alot of people could enjoy it but then again it could anoy alot of people as its one of those thoughts of 'what if' that will always stick to the back of your mind. at least i think. some will say great, others would say that just would not happen. i say why not? we have over 40 millennia to play with lol

4th army. no idea. closer to the time i may need some help, but ive not even had a chance to look at his codex yet so will bug my mate for it lol.