Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which Horus Heresy books can I do without reading?
Old 04 Nov 2009, 06:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Which Horus Heresy books can I do without reading?

Ive been reading alot of Horus Heresy books recently and quite frankly, getting burnt out on the Heresy. Ive read Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames and Flight of the Eisinstien. Im taking a break right now and reading the new Soul Drinkers book Hellforged, which is a breath of fresh air from the heresy. Anyway, my question is this. Of the books out, and coming out which ones do I need to read to get the important parts of the Heresy? I already intend to read Fulgrim and Mechanicum, so whichever books besides those two.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Re: Which Horus Heresy books can I do without reading?

Legion definitely. The ending is superb, not saying anymore so nothing is spoilt. One of Mr Abnetts best.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2009, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

That's pretty much it, Descent of Angels & Fallen Angels are specific to the Dark Angels only (& Descent of Angels is terrible in my opinion anyway, haven't read Fallen Angels yet), while Battle for the Abyss (which I actually quite liked) isn't very relative to the 'big' plot.

Tales of Heresy is apparently quite good. Not sure if any of the short stories in it are part of the main series though.

And as Pettsy said, Legion is a brilliant book & deserves to be read even though it only has the Alpha Legion in it.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

No offense but the horus heresy series all tell different parts, and they are all good reads. I wouldn't skip any.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 04:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I used to not particularly like Descent of Angels. Then I read Fallen Angels and things started falling into place.

Don't skip any, if you really love the 40k fluff you should see it from all angles. This is what the Horus Heresy is meant to do, show us every scenario from as many perspectives as possible.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 00:51   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler
Ive been reading alot of Horus Heresy books recently and quite frankly, getting burnt out on the Heresy. Ive read Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames and Flight of the Eisinstien. Im taking a break right now and reading the new Soul Drinkers book Hellforged, which is a breath of fresh air from the heresy. Anyway, my question is this. Of the books out, and coming out which ones do I need to read to get the important parts of the Heresy? I already intend to read Fulgrim and Mechanicum, so whichever books besides those two.
The only Horus Heresy books you need t oread are Horus Rising and Mechanicum. Ignore the rest (seriously, how the hell did you get to the end of False Gods? It was utter crap!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler
The only Horus Heresy books you need t oread are Horus Rising and Mechanicum. Ignore the rest (seriously, how the hell did you get to the end of False Gods? It was utter crap!).
I cant help loving anything to do with space marines killing things :P

hell i liked the blood angels books by james swallow.

and i quite liked false gods thanks