Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Horus Heresy series
Old 20 Jun 2009, 13:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Horus Heresy series

I just started the series, and I have really liked it. I've read Horus Rising and False Gods so far, and I'm going to get Galxy in Flames today. What I wanted to ask is, are there any books in the series that are so bad I should just skip them?
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 13:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Horus Heresy series

I enjoyed pretty much the entire series. A lot of people will tell you that Abyss is terrible, but it's really just an action flick like many of Ben Counter's books. Legion is excellent; do NOT skip that one. Descent of Angels iffy; it was a mildly interesting pre-pre-pre-history of the Dark Angels, but it didn't really effect the Heresy-at-large.

I'm a completist when it comes to book series, however; I can never skip stuff. Your mileage may vary. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've only read the first three so far, and of them, Horus Rising was definitely the best one. There are a few contradictions in them, that I noticed, and when I sold a copy of Epic Space Marine a month or two ago, I noticed that the fluff in the beginning of the epic rulebook almost totally contradicted the books.

Not that anyone's likely to find that out anyway.
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 19:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Yeah, the Horus Heresy series actually takes precedence in GWs eyes now though. That being said, you really want to read the Flight of the Eisenstein now that you've read the first 3. I skipped it because I was pissed about all of my favorite characters dieing, but when I finally went back and read it, I loved it.

The dark angels book is one you don't want to take as a horus heresy book, but rather enjoy it for what it is, a very early history of the dark angels. I loved the book because it told you where they came from, even if it wasnt really part of the heresy.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 05:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm up to Descent of Angels, and I'm happy with it so far.

IMO the first three are best so far. Fulgrim was cool because it traced the whole of him falling apart, really strong at the end. I hated Flight of the Einstein. It was a lot of rehash. Don't skip any, since it is a series, but some are better than others

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There's a new Dark Angels book, which I think is actually pretty good. It paints an interesting picture of the lion.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
I'm up to Descent of Angels, and I'm happy with it so far.

IMO the first three are best so far. Fulgrim was cool because it traced the whole of him falling apart, really strong at the end. I hated Flight of the Einstein. It was a lot of rehash. Don't skip any, since it is a series, but some are better than others
You're right, I just finished Flight of the Eisenstein, and it is a lot of rehash, but it's done from a different characters perspective, and he is a similarly honorable character to Loken, from the first three books, so I found it pretty good. I especially liked at the end, how the implication was that he would be used to found the Grey Knights chapter. I've always had a soft spot for the Grey Knights, since my first models were two pewter Grey Knights, back in 1988.

I've also bought the Einhorn? Or is it Eisenhorn? book, that contains three novels about Gregor Eisenhorn, the Inquisitor, and his activities. Stories about the Inquisition are really cool, when done well, and Dan Abnett, the author of the Eisenhorn books, is the best of the Black Library authors that I've read so far. James Swallow is a close second, I think...
Sgt.Booraem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 18:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Booraem
I've also bought the Einhorn? Or is it Eisenhorn? book, that contains three novels about Gregor Eisenhorn, the Inquisitor, and his activities. Stories about the Inquisition are really cool, when done well, and Dan Abnett, the author of the Eisenhorn books, is the best of the Black Library authors that I've read so far. James Swallow is a close second, I think...
Be sure to say how it is, I've been thinking about getting Eisenhorn for a while. I need to finish up the Space Wolves books first though.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Booraem
Be sure to say how it is, I've been thinking about getting Eisenhorn for a while. I need to finish up the Space Wolves books first though.
I would definitely recommend Eisenhorn, it's such a great book and written by the best author IMO.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote