Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Readers reccomendations?
Old 23 May 2009, 10:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Readers reccomendations?

So, it's the UK and half-term is coming up. I'm going camping for a few days and have run out of books. I'm into most fantasy and sci-fi. I have come to you guys for reccomendations.

As a side note, I would prefer for it to be available from libraries, and although I would like a 40k based book, any others you find particularly good I would like to hear about.
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 10:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Readers reccomendations?

Blood Angels Red Fury was a good one. (it even has a particular villan which I thought was cool)
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 15:57   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Take any book written by Dan Abett. He might be more Guard-biased but he's one of the best. Sandy Mitchell is another great 40K author that I highly recommend.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 16:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As Zenai said, go with Dan Abnett.

You might even find some of his works (40k or non 40k) in your local library.
Tyranids 1 / 0 / 0
Imperial Guard 0 / 3 / 0
Orks 1 / 0 / 0
levincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I'll probably be pariah for this, but anything by Graham McNeil. Guardians of the Forest and Heldenhammer were extremely good. The problem is, if you want it from a library, they probably won't have BL books, so I would recomend stuff by RA Salvatore or Margarete Weis/ Tracy Hickman for fantasy.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

For non-40K stuff:

Shakespeare: Even though the language is old, MacBeth is just great (and not too long). If you want to read about an Emo-love-romance, get Romeo and Juliet. Or just read through Hamlet and imagine Schwarzenegger as the lead.

Apart from that, I can suggest Terry Pratchett ("Small Gods", "Jingo" are amongst my all-time favorites, as is "Lords and Ladies").

And if you want to A read something dead impressive and B quite epic, try "Paradise Lost". You'll sure find this epic by Milton in the library, but make sure you get a version with commentary, otherwise you'll miss the obscure bible-and-occult references in the book. But I have to warn you - I have it now for about a year, and barely managed to read 100 pages... but if you plan on getting stranded on a lonely beach without internet access (or female company <wink&gt, take it with you - it should last for weeks as reading fun, and afterwards, you can re-use it as a "cooking aid" for the fish you caught with a harpoon you fashioned out of driftwood and pieces of your underwear. ;D

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I enjoyed the series of Ragnar Blackmane books by William King/Lee Lighter, and those suggested, such as Dan Abnett, Sandy Mitchell and Graham McNeill, I also liked Dark Disciple and Dark Apostle by Anthony Reynolds, I could suggest some more, but I'll leave others to suggest.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 19:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This not 40k related, but I feel I must recommend them anyway.

You could try reading Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings' book series or its prequel 'The Hobbit'. (The Hobbit I would more recommend, as its an easier read.)

Then there is Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. (I know its not a sci-fi or a fantasy [at least not a fantasy that involves orcs and dwarves], but you might find it good nevertheless.)

There is also "The First Men in the Moon" by H.G. Wells (pretty good sci-fi book, granted I should warn you it was written BEFORE man actually landed on the moon), "A Journey into the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne (also pretty good, even if it is also scientifically ridiculous XD), and "Silas Marner" by George Elliot (is rather heart warming IMO).

OH! There is also "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks just to be prepared for any 'unexpected' developments. XD (I got it to read just for laughs.)

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zoron
OH! There is also "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks just to be prepared for any 'unexpected' developments. XD (I got it to read just for laughs.)
Read it, quite interesting actually.

And to everybody, thanks for the reccomendations, i'll tell you what i choose when i get home tomorrow.
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 03:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry, bit too late now, but I would have/do recommend the first few Horus Heresy books and Grey Knights series for 40k reading.
Other than that I recommend Orson Scott Card, starting with either Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow and then going through either series if you like it.

So, what have you chosen?

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote