Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemonhammer - 3rd Grey Knights book
Old 29 Sep 2008, 16:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Daemonhammer - 3rd Grey Knights book

Hey just finished Ben Counters 'Daemonhammer'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Heya,

As someone who thoroughlly enjoyed Ben Counter's 'Grey Knights' and 'Dark Adeptus' novels, I can't wait for his third Grey Knight novel called: 'Hammer of Daemons.' Just look at the artwork, it's fething beautiful!?

I can't bloody wait for this to be released!
It was worth the wait.

I wont spoil to much for you guys, all I can say that since the first book 'Grey Knights' Alaric shows many aspects I don't think would be expected from a normal Marine but im not sure of a Grey Knight either. Anyway the book is very different to the other two while it shows Grey Knights taking on the odds that no one else could its a more indepth look at the enemy rather than the Grey Knights themselves.

Well worth reading even if you havent seen the first one
Old 29 Sep 2008, 20:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Daemonhammer - 3rd Grey Knights book

I thought it was the best one out of the three, and I wonder whom that mysterious guy was. And I agree it showed more of Alaric, and how one could come so close to losing his mind, it was more like a test the whole time.

I hope this series of Grey Knight stories doesn't stop. Well, maybe a couple more books.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2008, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
I thought it was the best one out of the three, and I wonder whom that mysterious guy was. And I agree it showed more of Alaric, and how one could come so close to losing his mind, it was more like a test the whole time.

I hope this series of Grey Knight stories doesn't stop. Well, maybe a couple more books.
True I liked the fact that through it all even when his core was being tested the line 'I am the Hammer' made me glad that I picked the first one up.

I think that after reading the book its going to focus more on The Inquistion side of Daemonhunters - Hope Alaric stays the main character - wont go more indepth incase someone posts/reads that hasn't yet read the book
Old 30 Sep 2008, 05:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Personally I think the Grey Knight series and particularly Daemonhammer were just downright dreadfull. Even a Grey Knight couldn't hope to survive on a Daemon World alone, without his wargear, wards or comrades. The previous books weren't any better but Daemonhammer was downright a rediculous fanboy trip that gives the Grey Knights a bad name.

While I don't necessarily like Graham's work any better I felt the representation of the Grey Knights in Killing Ground was better than anything the Grey Knight series has to offer.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2008, 14:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Personally I think the Grey Knight series and particularly Daemonhammer were just downright dreadfull. Even a Grey Knight couldn't hope to survive on a Daemon World alone, without his wargear, wards or comrades. The previous books weren't any better but Daemonhammer was downright a ridiculous fanboy trip that gives the Grey Knights a bad name.

While I don't necessarily like Graham's work any better I felt the representation of the Grey Knights in Killing Ground was better than anything the Grey Knight series has to offer.
I disagree with that respectively,
Grey Knights fluff wise are meant to be the greatest protection against the daemon, an incorruptible force that puts normal Space Marines to shame.
While I admit that Daemonhammer did seem to take it far over (I do agree with the ward bit as in the psychic shield though) that when it was one Grey Knight but he was being protected from a lot of the dangers that would normally kill him or break him by his Captor.

I am yet to read Killing Ground so I am not saying that Ben Counters series has a better representation just that Ben Counter did a very good one in his series.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wait...You found Hammer of Daemons to be fanboyish...but liked the portrayal of Grey Knights in Killing Ground? Seriously?

That guy is practically a parody of himself. The 13th company in Wolf's Honor are less fanboyish than he is, and that's saying something.
Old 07 Oct 2008, 21:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
Wait...You found Hammer of Daemons to be fanboyish...but liked the portrayal of Grey Knights in Killing Ground? Seriously?
Did I say I liked Killing Ground? No I did not, I said it portrayed the Grey Knights better, but not that I thought it was any good either. Killing Ground was pretty bad overall but it was still a good deal better than the rubbish of the Grey Knights series IMO.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote