Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Horus Heresy book order
Old 04 Sep 2008, 03:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Horus Heresy book order

Well, I finished all of them now. Some were better than others, but I enjoyed all of them in some way. I really liked the first three books, and Fulgrim.

Edit: Here's the order so you don't have to scroll down. I'll edit this with newer books as well.

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstien
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Mechanicum
Tales of Heresy
Fallen Angels
A Thousand Sons
Prospero Burns (Delayed until 2011)
Nemesis (Aug 10)

Audio Books:
Raven's Flight
Lightning Tower/Dark King

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 13:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Horus Heresy book order

I believe the order is shown on the inside cover of every book.

But anyway

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstien
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels (skip this one, it sucked donkeys)
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 15:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
I believe the order is shown on the inside cover of every book.

But anyway

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstien
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels (skip this one, it sucked donkeys)
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Don't skip decent of angels, it was a good read. However, you could skip battle for the abyss
Old 04 Sep 2008, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

I'd reccomend you don't skip any of them, as they're all good reads (although Descent of Angels has very little relevance to the Horus Heresy).
Old 04 Sep 2008, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Grim
I'd recommend you don't skip any of them, as they're all good reads (although Descent of Angels has very little relevance to the Horus Heresy).
Actually, I'd say it had a lot of relevance. It gave a history of Lion El Johnson before he found the emperor, it showed a meeting with the emperor, and then it showed the split. It did leave a lot to be desired in the end though, so hopefully a sequel will come.

Battle for the abyss on the other hand....
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I love the Dark Angels.

I play Dark Angels, they are without a doubt my favorite chapter.

Descent of Angels sucked donkeys. Hard, like a hoover. It opened wide, bent down and didn't stop till it's face turned blue.

It was poorly written, painfully predictable*, to call the protagonists one dimensional characters is to insult ever one dimensional character that was ever existed. In the end nothing happened in the book. We didn't learn anything new, the overall plot wasn't advanced and it didn't conclude it just ended when the author hit his predetermined "I get paid when I write X amount of pages"

So yeah, go ahead and skip it, and continue to enjoy the awesomeness of the Dark Angels.

*I'm aware that all the Horus Heresy novels are predictable, in that we know what will happen, however the unpredictability comes in the new characters and events. In this book there was no surprises at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Legion, Descent of Angels, Fulgrim and Battle for the Abyss ALL sucked donkeys very hard indeed.

Fulgrim because it was rushed, poorly written, didn't make much sense, was full of whiny characters, Legion saw the Alpha Legion turn traitor to the Emperor cause some Xenos said it was a good idea... bull shit. Whoever came up with that plot idea really needs a new thinking cap. Descent of Angels and Battle for the Abyss were both poorly written and didn't advance the Heresy plot at all.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 02:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks guys. It is weird but none of the books I have, have the list of other books in the cover; confused the hell out of me.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 02:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Legion, Descent of Angels, Fulgrim and Battle for the Abyss ALL sucked donkeys very hard indeed.

Fulgrim because it was rushed, poorly written, didn't make much sense, was full of whiny characters, Legion saw the Alpha Legion turn traitor to the Emperor cause some Xenos said it was a good idea... bull Shtlk. Whoever came up with that plot idea really needs a new thinking cap. Descent of Angels and Battle for the Abyss were both poorly written and didn't advance the Heresy plot at all.
=O Fulgrim was by far one of the best three. Why? Because it gave you an insight into the slow decent of Fulgrim and the ECs as they were taken over by Slannesh, as well as showing how Eldrad Stepped in to intervene thinking he could stop it from happening, only to choose the wrong person for the job. The Plot was well written actually, and brought several great visuals that could be used to build some awsome models/dioramas. The characters in this Novel were very well developed, and shown to fall slowly into seduction by slannesh...not realizing what they were doing until it was too late. It also showed a further insight into Grudges and Brotherhoods that were forged and broken. Where you saw Whiney characters...I still havn't found, a few of them showed self Loathing, or doubt...which made sense, concidering their positions, but none were whiney. find a new term.

Legion is extremely multi dimensional. It put a new perspective on things, making you realize that Chaos and the Heresy have numerous facets, We always saw things from the perspective of either: A. The Emperor was really wrong, and Horus was trying to correct that and take what should have been his. or B. The Emperor was just and good, and was betrayed by his closest son and follower, who drug down the others with him. Instead we saw that there are multiple shades of grey occuring during this entire course of events. And that not all the Primarchs were doing things for themselves or acting against their Father. Alpharious was actually doing his father's work by ensuring that chaos would burn itself out, and those that survived could live in freedom, instead of Ages of death and war. Alpharious indeed said "everything I do from here on, I do for my Father and his great work" (paraphrased). He saw that the xenos were right, and that by taking this path he could ensure that Good, in the end, would win over evil...not because he wanted power and control like Horus did.

Decent of Angels was ok but left a bit wanting, read it anyhow.

Battle for the Abyss seemed a bit sideline story, but did give some insight into how far the Word bearers had gone, and set the stage and background for the battle the Ultramarines and WB had. Still decent writing.

If your going to bash a book because you didn't understand it, then please at least add "in my opinion" to your post.

@scoutfox,
you will understand alot more Fluff for the entire Space marine Line, and the Emperium if you go ahead and read them all, the order has been listed correctly a few times, Don't let criticism stop you from reading something.
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2008, 03:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTerminator
If your going to bash a book because you didn't understand it, then please at least add "in my opinion" to your post.
See thats just unnecessary. I fully understand the novels and I bash them anyway. But of course its always my opinion so please don't make such statements again, its unbecoming of everyone.

Quote:
=O Fulgrim was by far one of the best three. Why? Because it gave you an insight into the slow decent of Fulgrim and the ECs as they were taken over by Slannesh, as well as showing how Eldrad Stepped in to intervene thinking he could stop it from happening, only to choose the wrong person for the job. The Plot was well written actually, and brought several great visuals that could be used to build some awsome models/dioramas. The characters in this Novel were very well developed, and shown to fall slowly into seduction by slannesh...not realizing what they were doing until it was too late. It also showed a further insight into Grudges and Brotherhoods that were forged and broken. Where you saw Whiney characters...I still havn't found, a few of them showed self Loathing, or doubt...which made sense, concidering their positions, but none were whiney. find a new term.
See the bolded part I have to disagree with. It was not a slow descent by any means. Instead the book read like the Emperor's Children plunged headlong into chaos like there was no tommorrow. There was no gradual descent, there was no subtle machinations. One moment the Emperor's Children are proud and skilled warriors and the next they are raving lunatics. Sure it took a few chapters to happen but overall the descent was incredibly fast and didn't make a whole lot of sense. The motivations behind it were a bit thin. Now this isn't necessarily the writers fault, the fall did have to be contained in one book but thats the problem. Given the extent of their fall it happened far too quickly as the plot progressed. The World Eaters didn't fall as suddenly as the Emperor's Children did. Also don't tell me to find a new term, I use what terms I like, who are you to tell me what word to use? I say whiney because I read whiney. Lucius does nothing but bitch, Eidolon prances and preens like a peacock and whines when any character tells him off and so on and so forth.

Quote:
Legion is extremely multi dimensional. It put a new perspective on things, making you realize that Chaos and the Heresy have numerous facets, We always saw things from the perspective of either: A. The Emperor was really wrong, and Horus was trying to correct that and take what should have been his. or B. The Emperor was just and good, and was betrayed by his closest son and follower, who drug down the others with him. Instead we saw that there are multiple shades of grey occuring during this entire course of events. And that not all the Primarchs were doing things for themselves or acting against their Father. Alpharious was actually doing his father's work by ensuring that chaos would burn itself out, and those that survived could live in freedom, instead of Ages of death and war. Alpharious indeed said "everything I do from here on, I do for my Father and his great work" (paraphrased). He saw that the xenos were right, and that by taking this path he could ensure that Good, in the end, would win over evil...not because he wanted power and control like Horus did.
Multi-dimmensional doesn't equate quality or good reading. I mean whether Alpharius thought he was doing his fathers work or not it still doesn't add up. Firstly he takes the word of an Alien over the Emperor?!?!?! That alone just... doesn't make any sense. The Imperium is incredibly xenophoebic and always has been, for Alpharius to betray all of his oaths of loyalty because of alien witch craft... its a weak plot really. No matter how multi-dimmensional and different the writing was, the plot didn't add up. The best writing in the world can't make up for a terrible plot and Legion's plot was just that. Ontop of that... this is humanity we're talking about, this is the Imperium, these are Space Marines. Nothing is impossible, no matter the odds, no matter how many prophecies are against anyone it doesn't stop the Imperium and the Space Marines from fighting on. No prophecy in the 40k universe is perfect, or at least no interpretation of any prophecy is perfect, no result is set in stone.

All in all Legion wasn't badly written and the idea behind it wasn't too bad, but the plot does not do it justice in any way, it doesn't do the series justice, it doesn't do the Alpha Legion justice.

Quote:
Decent of Angels was ok but left a bit wanting, read it anyhow.
Descent of Angels left everything wanting, it told us nothing new at all. Sure it went into a little more depth about pre-marine Caliban but most of the core details we knew already and the extra stuff... well just wasn't really worth it. The book doesn't advance the Horus Heresy plot, or tell us anything new about the Dark Angels and unless your an uber DA fan wanting to squeeze every drop of fluff out of the Black Library that you can, its not a very worthwhile read.

Quote:
Battle for the Abyss seemed a bit sideline story, but did give some insight into how far the Word bearers had gone, and set the stage and background for the battle the Ultramarines and WB had. Still decent writing.
We already knew how far the Word Bearers had gone, and it didn't set the stage for anything. It was extraneous, it was unnecessary. It was pointless. The author created some new part of the Heresy where he could invent the existence of some uber Space Ship and in a very fanboyish fashion have a handful of loyalists destroy it. Now the battle for Calth... that would have advanced the plot, that would have been interresting, that would have been epic and given excelent insights into the Word Bearers and the Ultramarines. Instead we get a fanboygasm that makes the Word Bearers out to be utterly incompetent, arrogant and overconfident and makes the loyalists out to be nigh on invincible.

[hr]

Anyway all that is besides the point, I voiced my opinion and you up and say I don't understand what I'm talking about, and don't use the right terms. Don't do that, I respect your opinion, have some respect for mine. You can disagree all you want and are welcome to do so, but don't say my opinion is wrong just because its not the same as yours GKTerminator.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote