Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Armour of Contempt and Gaunts Ghosts
Old 19 Aug 2008, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default The Armour of Contempt and Gaunts Ghosts

Did anyone else find this book unsatisfactory? I dunno about everyone else but as this series drags on its getting more and more like a bad TV Series carried on way too long. After Bragg and Milo dissapeared for one reason or another the series just tanked. Even before that it was kind of a stretch at parts but now its just gotten rediculous. A depressing series of deaths and dissapointments. The whole book left a bad taste in my mouth and I found myself flipping through a short story anthology for something to lift the spirits some. With every character that dies off the novelty is shattered. Ok some stranded Tanith guys fighting against the odds... thats cool. Oh hey by book 3 a lot of them are dead... oh boy whats gonna happen now... oh hey lets throw some more guys in there from Vervunhive... oh hey those are running thin too... lets throw in some more guys from Belladon!!!! Yea!

Its too much for too long. Like after the Power Rangers series got into season 4. Amusing for children with season 1, a little stretched with season 2, even more so with season 3, and after that...

The same with the last few Gaunts Ghosts books and The Armour of Contempt just slams it home. There's nothing satisfying about reading the book, nothing good happens, nobody's alive I care about anymore, the endings accomplish nothing, and even the major plot is stuck in some second front of the Crusade that nobody important cares about. The series should have ended with book 6.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 04:16   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: The Armour of Contempt and Gaunts Ghosts

Ya, I find the first 2 series of Gaunt's Ghost to be top-notch. Then the 3rd series was OK. And ya, Armor of Contempt has nothing good except maybe Dalin's first taste of combat
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 04:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I liked the look into the IG training regime aspect of the book, but the end was a real cop-out. A character like that deserved a better end than that. It was the same as what happened to Corbec. Hit by a stray shot? Hell, we don't even find out it happened until after he's already dead.... I really liked the first 6 books, and Sabbat Martyr was pretty good as well aside from the glossing over of Cuu and Larkin's rivalry and Corbec's death, but Traitor General onward really changed the style and pacing a lot. You see more and more things happening you'd expect expect from B action movies and the one liners to go with them. The newer books have had their fair share of good moments as well though, so I'll keep on with it and see how it turns out.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd stick with it though, Only In Death is maybe the best Gaunt's Ghost book yet, in my opinion. I also wasn't a fan of the Armor of Contempt, except maybe for Sobile proving that not all Commissars are awesome.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 16:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've liked them all, so far. Can't say as I've found anything I'd really criticise in the series. It's gone through a few transitions and the last few have been a bit more episodic than the Saint series, all of which were quite well linked, but then the first three were a bit like that too...

Personally I thought the sequence detailing Dalin's first taste of combat was epic!

The fact that occasionally characters get killed off in a somewhat anticlimactic way (read Corbec and Caffran) is probably just Abnett trying to say "Hey, shit happens, people, even to the big names!" The death of Corbec was handled in a poignant way (I don't admitting there was a trace of a tear in my eye) whereas Caff's was done in a sudden, "Hey, I really wasn't expecting that!" kind of way. Nothing wrong with it.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2008, 21:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea shit happens in war but its hypocritic. So many characters die yet Gaunt keeps surviving despite numerous close calls, injuries and impossible circumstances. Gaunt ALWAYS survives. Seriously we all know how war goes and that people die but this is a novel series, when the characters that made the series are dead the series should die too. When you completely replace the vast majority of the characters that made the series what it is, you don't really have the same thing anymore. I think Gaunts Ghosts should have ended with the Saint Trilogy and Abnett should have moved on to something else.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just bought several gaunts ghost books can anyone fill me in for what I'm in for?
NightLord is offline   Reply With Quote