Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle for the Abyss *Spoilers*
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Battle for the Abyss *Spoilers*

Well all, i just finished reading this book, it pains me to say it, but i thought it was Klkn!!. It just seemed like mindless violence, with very little else, it could easily been set in the current 40k times and not HH era. For me, it just wasn't a good read.

Other may like it, but not me, what do you think?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Battle for the Abbyss

The thousand sons character was interesting, I'd like to see how his story develops. I think the book had alot of potential, but was let down by mindless violence like you said. The word bearers were poorly portrayed as bad guys. They all felt....pathetic.

It also feels like every book I read by ben counter has an honour duel in it, though in all fairness I've only read a couple of them.

I'm beginning to believe that many BL authors don't understand even basic close quarters combat, and simply assume that half the time the bad guys will just stand there and let themselves get whacked, or are so poor at fighting that they have no hope (despite being Astartes). Read the book to see what I mean.

If you want a book on word bearers, read dark apostle. If you want ultramarines, most of the Graham Mcneil stuff if ok. If you like word bearers or ultramarines, then don't read this book. You'll stay happy that way.

Yes thats pretty harsh, but the book was pretty bad. Aside from the bit with the thousand sons captain.
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought it was alright. Yes, the bad guys died in droves, and ben counter is hardly a subtle author, but the story was entertaining and i actually enjoyed it more than Legion. Although legion was more story-ish and very revealing, it seemed to take to long to get anywhere....you could read the second part and get it without the first lol.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I liked Mtohep as I think in my opinion he was portrayed very well, overall he was my favorite character throughout the book and probably the best ;D . And yes I agree, there were bits were it was just mindless violence here and there. And I agree with Kalarn, some authors don't understand close quarters combat, maybe they could read about it first, and then write out a close quarter scene? See if they like it, then write it into a book?

It was another good book in my opinion, another which makes the HH series even better, but maybe some work could of been done to it.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I found it to be an adequate BL book, a good action yarn. It just didn't feel like it advanced the storyline of the Horus Heresy any. Then again, that's not precisely limited to this book (Descent of Angels, I'm looking at you!)

I did notice that the fabricator general is described as seeking/being programmed towards "union with his slumbering God"...Dragon anyone?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 11:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I noticed that too.

I thought that this was the worst of the HH series, perhaps a bit harsh, but i feel that it was no where near HH enough, if where set in a standart 40k time, it might of been ok, but for HH, just didn't cut it.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 16:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Although not quite finished with it I have to agree. It doesn't really do much to develop the HH storyline and doesn't manage to suspend my disbelief enough. Compared to some BL publications it's readable enough, just not enough substance to get my teeth into. As far as portraying the different legions involved, I don't think it does any of the justice, except perhaps for Mhotep.

Bring Dan Back!!!

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Battle for the Abbyss *Spoilers*

I second Extarius, in my opinion the character development was terrible.

"Ooh, I'm a Space Wolf stereotype! Feral and Savage and beasy! Gr!"
"Ooh, I'm an Ultramarine stereotype! Dutiful and arrogant!"
"Ooh, I'm a World Eater stereotype! I like blood and carnage and am a total uncontrollabe frenzied monster!"

The only decent one was Mhotep, who had a fairly unique character. I thought the Word Bearers were absolute pansies, and were not well portrayed at all. Also, while the author tried to get across the concept of brother vs. brother, it just didn't work. Nowhere near as well as it did in the earlier HH books.

I agree that it wasn't really connected to anything else either. I mean, it might as well have happened in the 'present day' 40k.

I hope the Mechanicum is better.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Re: Battle for the Abyss *Spoilers*

I found it rather amusing that just about everyone in that book died.

Gulliman, the Emporer & Kor Phaeron's fleet don't count.
Old 05 Aug 2008, 10:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Re: Battle for the Abyss *Spoilers*

Sorry for double post, but Mhotep almost seemed to be a pre-heresy version of a Grey Knight to me, with the way he was shouting oaths at the daemon & that.

But the way he regarded he daemons with utmost hate & whatnot made me wonder why his legion made that pact with Tzeench later on. They knew more about the warp, the dangers it presented, the creatures that lurked within it & their true agendas than just about any other human (John Grammaticus not included, he said himself he wasn't human).

Any thoughts?