Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Legion
Old 26 Feb 2008, 16:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Legion

Dan Abnett has done it again, the book is easily as good as any Ghost novels he's written. The Legion themselves don't feature through alot of it, but their presence is always felt. Characters were good, though Alpharius wasn't done as well as Horus and the plot keeps you guessing.

Lots of interesting secrets come out during the book, though the reason for Alpharius joining Horus surprised me.

Oh, and if you read it, you'll understand why I think the Legion primarch is still alive, and not killed by Ultramarines.....

Read it :-D
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 10:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Legion

You sir have more time then I to read lol.

Although I'm only one page 147 currently, I can say it is a damned good read so far and I'm enjoying it alot!
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not more time, just have a problem that when I get into a book I tend to not stop reading, even if the entire night does pass and its suddenly time for lectures again.....

The last quarter of the book is the most surprising. You'll get hints about the legion and its primarch as you read the earlier chapters, but you won't understand the significance of some conversations etc until you learn the secret about the primarch.

Let me know how you go with it.

The primarch lives :-)
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2008, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Being in the US, we won't get it until next month
Old 18 Mar 2008, 17:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

This was the best damn book I have ever read yet, I have enjoyed this book all the way though. And I agree, there are a lot of interesting secrets which are yet still unknown to those who haven't picked up the book and read it. Dan Abnett has done an amazing job! ;D

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2008, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've just started reading this book today, its already head and sholders above most of the other books in the series (so far) can hardly put it down! Except to check TO that is :-)

Third Sphere
Old 27 Mar 2008, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I believe I'm on chapter 13. So far so good. I like how the focus isn't entirely on the marines, and the characters seem just as ferocious or cunning as any Astartes, which makes you appreciation them even more.

I have that book problem too, where once I get going it's hard for me to stop, especially when the chapter ends in a cliff hanger.

I love the leader of the Lucifers (name escapes me) he's so "aware of everything". And all the secrets and plotting and "shadows shadows" ah!, I love that as well.
justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I enjoyed the book now that I've read it myself.

*Spoiler alert!*

I think it's good that Grammaticus got to die in the end, and leaves the possibility for him to be brought back a third time... And that shock at the end about why the Alpha Legion turned against the Emperor's light is just astounding, and leaves in place plenty of questions...
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I concur, this was an excellent read. The intrigue sections on the planet, in particular, were my favorite bits.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I just finished reading the book this morning. Very nice ending and all. I just have some questions/thoughts:

*spoilers*

So the Alpha Legion sided with Horus because in the end it meant the destruction of chaos, right? But it also meant the destruction of humanity and the Emperor. So, in order to save the Emperor and humanity, they have to destroy the Emperor and humanity...correct? if so.. : /

Also, now in the present, seeing as how all that failed, what is the Alpha Legion up to? (if anyone actually knows) Have they succumb to chaos and are now just trying to tear the Imperium apart for the hell of it, or are they still trying to accomplish their goal? (there probably isn't any good answer for this)

And I find it sad that John got betrayed by his "friend" and "lover" and then he died alone ):. He should've got together with Rokshana (or w/e her name was). But that probably wouldn't work anyways. I hope he doesn't get reincarnated, for awhile anyways, let him sleep.
justinl is offline   Reply With Quote