Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just finished The Saint Omnibus for Gaunt's Ghost
Old 08 Dec 2007, 08:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Just finished The Saint Omnibus for Gaunt's Ghost

Did anybody else actually feel that Sabbat Matyr was actually the weakest relatively of this series?

A lot of people might say Straight Silver, but I don't think Straight Silver was weak, it was just different. Sabbat Matyr on the other hand was just the one I liked the least, it was still good and enjoyable, but not, in my opinion, on the level of Honour Guard and Guns of Tanith.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Just finished The Saint Omnibus for Gaunt's Ghost

Oh, I don't know. They all blend together for me.

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
Oh, I don't know. They all blend together for me.
Same. Excellent stories by the best Author.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It doesn't help that I started with The Founding in August and read all the Ghosts' stuff pretty over a period a just a few months. If I had read them over the years and spaced them out I might have differing impressions of them. As it stands now, the only one that stands out in my mind is the last one, Only in Death.

One thing I did like about the two Omnibus editions were the author's notes in the prefaces.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 04:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I rather liked Sabbat Martyr. Some of my favourite moments are in that book. Some had me cheering, others laughing, and others had me reading the same passage multiple times in an effort to figure out if what I had just read was true (in a good sort of "holy crap! Did that just happen?" way). Only thing I wasn't a fan of was one of the Magister parts. Gave a good insight into what was going on, however to me it kinda read like an Egyptian hieroglyphic, which was cool stylistically, but I felt it made that part drag a lil bit. But that's just one lil nit pick.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I sort of know what you're saying. To me, I think it's because they kind of glossed over the Larkin/Cuu conflict in this book. There wa a little bit here and there at the beginning but then it gets largely forgotten until a sudden and important ending to it. It would have been much better if they'd had more build up to the end there.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 06:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I sort of know what you're saying. To me, I think it's because they kind of glossed over the Larkin/Cuu conflict in this book. There wa a little bit here and there at the beginning but then it gets largely forgotten until a sudden and important ending to it. It would have been much better if they'd had more build up to the end there.
I've not read the books in The Saint yet, though I'm looking forward to it, but that sounds similar to the whole Worlin sub-story in Necropolis, which seemed a little tacked on in the beginning and then thrown in at the last minute when he realized there'd been no mention of it for like 175 pages... All of Abnett's work that I've read is strong enough that he doesn't need to add in these little sub-stories just to include the plethora of characters he's established.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 06:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sabbat Martyr is my favorite book in the series thus far; because its an epic last stand full of heroics and sacrifices. Damn it, now I must go find and reread my copy.