Old 21 Aug 2007, 23:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Gaunt's Ghosts: Only In Death!

Here!

Nov 07 (UK) / Dec 07 (RoW)

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2007, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Gaunt's Ghosts: Only In Death!

I'm waiting for the Saint omnibus coming out next week. I've only read the Founding omnibus to date. I really like the Gaunt and his Ghosts, I was the mini's for them were better.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2007, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

I have to wait for Fething December to read the new book!? OUTRAGE!! An outrage I say! :P

I can't wait, that and for a new Iron Snakes book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to smurf

I've just finished reading it, and it is the most beautiful book i have ever read or will ever read...

There's very little i can say without giving away the plot, but still... wow
Nothing in life is forever, but none of your deeds were in vain
Deep in our hearts you will live again, you're gone to the home of the brave
R.I.P Kangaroo Joe
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 20:17   #5 (permalink)
Anton

Hmm, wait for a 2nd and 3rd omnibus? Or just buy all the Gaunts Ghosts Books and occupy a lot of shelf space? Feth it, I'll just buy all of them! :P
Old 13 Nov 2007, 22:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just finished it today, this was so excellent! Best read ever!

Looks like someone we knew, met his peace at last. (Not saying who for those who haven't read the book) :P

And it seems he does survive after all! ;D

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I got the book for Christmas and stayed up until 6am on Boxing day to finish it... feth! It was absolutely phenomenal. I mean, just fething incredible. Definitely the best book I have ever read, and likely ever will read.
I honestly can't praise it enough. I've never before had such a drive to finish a novel. I tried to go to sleep at midnight but I just couldn't, I couldn't go to sleep without knowing what happened; without experiencing more of the book.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I got the book for Christmas and stayed up until 6am on Boxing day to finish it... feth! It was absolutely phenomenal. I mean, just fething incredible. Definitely the best book I have ever read, and likely ever will read.
I honestly can't praise it enough. I've never before had such a drive to finish a novel. I tried to go to sleep at midnight but I just couldn't, I couldn't go to sleep without knowing what happened; without experiencing more of the book.
ditto on that one...too bad it ended so soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 20:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just finished it today. I enjoyed it quite a lot. But it is not the best book that I have ever read.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 02:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Yes. Very, very awesome. I love how it's almost a horror novel with the psychological stuff. Definately the most complex 40k novel to date.
I have to admit, though, the ending kind of disappointed me. The revalation that {SPOILER ALERT}[color=yellow] it was all Soric's psychics
[color=#ffff00][color=black]was a bit of a let-down after all the suspense and psychology. It was a great plot point, of course, very good, but it was just "good" while it explained a part of the novel that was "really freaking awesome". I'd have loved for it to have been something really Chaos-inspired or something, maybe like the ghost of Heritor Asphodel trapped in Gaunt's sword, or something else like that.

Anyway, really freaking awesome book. Good enough that it could be a successful mainstream novel, if it reaches enough people. (And make sure it does! Make the hobby grow!) I guess the only other thing, and this is really minor, is it's starting to get a bit tiring how the Ghosts face complete and utter annihalation in every single novel. In Necropolis everyone was about to die. In Honor Guard they'd all have been killed except for the miracle at the end. In The Guns of Tanith they almost all died on Cirenholm, and they faced certain death on Herodor and in His Last Command, too. Really, only the original two books and Straight Silver didn't really risk the destruction of the entire regiment, though Straight Silver risked the destruction of 2/3s of the Ghosts. Traitor General doesn't count because it doesn't involve the entire regiment. (Still, every single Ghost there nearly dies.) I'm leaving out Armour of Contempt because I haven't read it yet.
I think it would be just as cool to just have a normal battle where the Ghosts always have a clear line of retreat and everyone isn't about to die.

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote