Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commissar Ciaphias Cain [non-spolier]
Old 25 Feb 2006, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Commissar Ciaphias Cain [non-spolier]

Well, how did you like them? I read 'em all, out of order, and I loved them for a few reasons.

1. Writing style- it was first person semi-omniscient, and it was explanatory while being understandable. The author had a clear writing style throughout teh books, and it made reading all that easier to adapt to and really soak in the plot.

2. Plots- Although I'm not supposed to say them, I really liked the plots, specificlly of For teh Emperor. If you've read it, you'll know the little 'surprise' at the end, and it was a creative touch to the plot.

3.Originality- One of the best things was that Cain was human. You'll find within the first pages of any book, and even on the cover, he's a coward feigning bravery. His only motivation is to himself and his personal safety. Whoever this Emperor character
is, that's great, and he's god. So now what? Go die? Cain is much more believeable. He makes normal commissars look like members of the Eccilerchsiy [spelling is WAY off]. I also enjoyed the slight irony that he;s a coward, but he is known as one of teh bravest heros of teh Segmentum.

4. Its about Vallhalans- Whats not to love? I love Valhallans, I love the books!

Any other comments?

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2006, 05:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Commissar Ciaphias Cain [non-spolier]

I've only read the first, but plan on the others. I thought the first was pretty funny, not your normal 40k book. How in the heck did he even make it out of commissar training if he's such a damn coward!? We'll never know, as it's one of the galaxies greatest mysteries....
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2006, 14:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess thats left to the leader's imagination...

I inferred that he was a troublemaker, but he passed all his training, so they had to give it to him.

I definately recommend the other books; theyre great!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 03 Mar 2006, 00:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've been thinking about reading them... I guess I'll go out and buy one now. Off Amazon, that is. I don't trust the Black Library...
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2006, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I never liked the idea of Cain as a character... Commissars should never be cowardly! If the guy had a yellow-streak, the Progenium could have found plenty of other jobs for him... like a floor scrubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2006, 20:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thats the irony... he's a Hero of the Imperium... He built a reputation far beyond expected, and to anyone but his former instructors, he's a legend.

Old 03 Mar 2006, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

I just think that he was at the wrong place at the right time, and only he knows about it.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2006, 23:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

'Kay, I'm ordering the book now.

Wait a few weeks for my opinion.
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2006, 19:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Well, having heard some fo the short stories that come from before the books I'd have to agree with Wargamer, you'd think they would have caught him.

He wins his choice of command in a game of cards(rigged of course) and chooses a artillery company(no where near the fighting) and a Valhallan one at that(Disciplined already. Shouldn't have to do much). Fate though throws the tyranids at the planet, he catches on from comments he hears sooner than any of the officers in the company, takes off for the space port on 'a recon mission' with plans of course to get the heck out of Dodge.

Instead, fate throws another curve and he runs straight into the Tyranids while enroute to the space port. Turns heel and runs back to the artillery company screaming for bombardment the whole way. The oblige and since he was supposedly out on recon, they assume he ment to find the Tyranids and so saved the space port by having the Artillery company blast them and by distracting them from thier target with himself as bait. Cain the hero is born.

It seems Cains greatest gift is not getting caught in the lie. He knows what to say when and when to keep his mouth shut. Time goes on and it seems that Cain starts becoming the hero he is suppose to be. Yes, at his core self interest is what drives him but he will do the dangerous thing if it means keeping his comfort in the long run. Even if he's not doing it for the right reasons he still continues to dot he right thing, and in the end that's what everyone sees.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2006, 20:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

not the best not the worst
caves of ice for sure

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
cl.ryan sg-3 is offline   Reply With Quote