Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1,500 Tournament - Orks vs ? (June 2, 2010 - June 16, 2010)
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1,500 Tournament - Orks vs ? (June 2, 2010 - June 16, 2010)

The LGS is holding a 1,500 tournament this month but it’s being done differently than usual. The store is hosting the semis for ‘ard Boyz this month and wouldn’t be able to also host the normal monthly tournament. So what they’ve decided to do is hold the normal tournament over a three week period on the normal 40K gaming night. You have to stick with your army but can change your list each week. Everything else is normal, army comp scores, painting scores, etc.

Last Wednesday was the kick-off of the tournament. I got there later than I wanted and when I arrived there were already 6-7 tables going! I had to wait a bit for a game to end and ended up facing a Chaos player who is just getting back into the swing of things after eight months off. The mission was one from last year’s first round of ‘ard Boyz if I recall, Drawn and Quartered. Each side deploys using spearhead and one objective is placed in the center of the quarters not deployed in. To win you need to hold more objectives and have more kill points, well for a massacre anyway. Chaos won the roll and deployed first. His list was something like:

* Abaddon
* Sorcerer
* Berserkers x 6 + Rhino
* Berserkers x 6 + Rhino
* Plague Marines x 5 w/power fist + Rhino
* Termies x 3 w/claws, chainfist & combi-flamer, autocannon & powerfist
* Termies x 3 w/power weapon & combi-flamer, power fist, claws

My list was:

* Big Mek w/’eavy armor, cybork, choppa, KFF (kustom force field)
* Lootas x 8 (2 Meks w/kustom mega blastas)
* Slugga Boyz x 11 + w/big shoota + Nob w/’eavy armor bosspole, slugga, power klaw + Trukk
* ‘ard Boyz x 12 +w/big shoota + Nob w/’eavy armor, bosspole, slugga, power klaw + Trukk
* Shoota Boyz x 12 w/big shoota + Nob w/’eavy armor, bosspole, shoota, big choppa
* Grots x 10 + Runtherd w/grabba stikk, slugga
* Wartrakks x 3 w/twin-linked rokkits
* Warbikers x 6 + Nob w/big choppa
* Kans x 3 w/rokkits
* Looted Wagon w/’ard case, plates, big shoota x 1, boomgun
* Battlewagon w/’ard case, ram, plates, big shootas x 4, kannon

He had deployed his two Rhinos with Berserkers to run for the objective to my north trailed by Abaddon. The Plague Marine Rhino was aimed to head to my east with his Sorcerer hiding in some ruins to my northeast. I deployed everything as close to the center as I could to be split in two halves. I was sending my Kans, Warbikers, Wartrakks and ‘ard Boyz to the north and Big Mek w/Sluggas, Shootas, Battlewagon and Looted Wagon to the east. The Lootas were set up centrally to fire to either objective and Grots were in reserve.

There really isn’t much to highlight in this game so it really isn't worth a full on report. This played out very much like the last time I played this same mission against another Chaos player. With my split forces I was able to deal with each half of his army. I had the advantage of speed and numbers. I took my time getting to the objectives with my Trukks, relying on my armored fire support to remove transports and then my dakka and assaulting to remove occupants. At the end of the game he had Abaddon left and an immobilized Rhino. I took a massacre win and got 2 extra battle points, giving me a score of 22 out of a possible 25.

A great start to the tournament and one of the few massacres I’ve managed in all the tournaments I’ve gone to. Now to see if I can keep it up for the next two games. I'll reply to this thread for each week, the next game being tomorrow.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1,500 Tournament - Orks vs ? (June 2, 2010 - June 16, 2010)

Nicely done.

How differently would you of played it if you had to deploy first? Or would your deployment of been pretty much the same anyway...

Looking forward to the next update and good luck with the game tomorrow!
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 12:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Knowing he had so few units and almost no ranged AV support I'd have deployed the same. He really just didn't have anything to deal with all my armor.

Tomorrow will be fun. It's nice to get to play a tournament and not have to hammer in three games in one day, plus changing up my list each week is great. I've got my list ready for tomorrow, different than the one for game.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 13:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

My only problem when i play chaos in kill point games is that they dont have many if they footslog, meaning you have to kill every last one in 5 turns, which at 1500 points on a 6x4 table is actually fairly hard.

Apart from the kill points, i have no trouble with Chaos when using my orks (or Tau or Dark Eldar actually, mainly because of the low numbers and high points)

Nice list too - pity you dont have points to get a kilkannon on the battlewagon - that extra AP3 pieplate really hurts marines outside of their clown vehicles

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was in the mood to write a narrative bat rep for this. Here we go.

------------------------------

“Ye gitz ready?” bellowed Nazduruk to the assembled convoy of ramshackle vehicles that had halted momentarily to survey the Chaos Marines just ahead of their position.

The question was met with an overwhelming roar as the Boyz raised their choppas, stamped their feet and threw unwary Grots for sheer amusement. Nazduruk raised his prized wrecka hamma and swept it down. The vehicles lept forward at the signal belching oily smoke from their exhausts and throwing up an enormous dust screen. The Chaos Marines had split their force looking like they wanted to secure something with each prong of their army. What it was didn’t matter to the Sun’z Killaz, they just wanted a good fight and they knew the followers of the Blood God were of like mind. Nazduruk had also decided to split his force to meet each part of their force.

Reaching behind him Nazduruk flipped the switch on his kustom force field generator and with some rattles and groans it came to life. A shimmering green haze settled around Nazduruk’s trukk and the other vehicles around him. His attack force was speeding to the east to catch the single green diseased looking rhino that was plodding along. The other half of the army was driving north to catch two red rhinos and knowing red ones go faster they kept up a break neck pace.

The northern half of the Ork assault was the first to get in range. The Wartrakks wasted no time and launched a barrage of rokkits at the nearest Rhino. The lurching Killa Kanz lended their shots at the same Rhino. Much to the amazement of the Orks the Rhino exploded in a shower of flaming debris. From underneath the strewn pieces of the transport some figures in red armor got to their feet brandishing chainaxes, seemingly unphased by explosion.

In the east a lone figure was standing his ground facing down the advance of Nazduruk’s Boyz. The Sorcerer raised his hand and a swirling chaotic energy began surrounded him. The energy swirled faster and reached a cresendo, launching from the outstretched arm of the Sorcerer towards the Looted Wagon tailing behind the faster Trukks. The chaotic energy struck the kustom force field and was absorbed with a flicker of the field.

“Har, har, har!” Nazduruk laughed as he pointed at the Sorcerer and stuck out his tongue.

The Shoota Boyz riding in the Trukk beside Nazduruk opened fire on the solitary figure. The shootas proved to be effective for more than just making noise as the Sorcerer was staggered back from the blows. His armor was rent all over and his life blood spilled forth. The Sorcerer had spent centuries in the service of the dark gods, having faced things that would drive a mortal man insane to just look upon, and here he was being brought down by a hail of bullets from weapons wielded by Orks. Fate was nothing if not ironic.

Back in the north the second Rhino had been stopped by an endless stream of rokkits. The Kanz had surged forward and charged into the squad of Berserkers, ripping them in half and throwing them in every direction. The other Berserker squad had never made it far beyond the shell of their Rhino with the Lootas and Warbikers having struck them down at range.

While the Orks had their attention forward, two units of Chaos Terminators teleported into the battlefield. They arrived behind the forward Ork units and wasted no time in aiming their deadly arsenal and firing into the Warbikers. The smoky exhaust and dust kicked up by the Warbikers proved to be effective cover and none of the shots found their mark. The second Terminator unit had landed behind a Looted Wagon but their shots were deflected by Nazduruk’s force field.

The Plague Marines exited their Rhino now that they had reached their destination, whatever objective it was that drove them there. The Orks were but a few strides away and the Plague Marines charged forward to meet the lumbering Battlewagon head on. With a mighty swing the Plague Champion hammered his power fist into the side of the Battlewagon. The power of the hit destroyed the support chasis causing the Battlewagon to skid to a halt.

“Out!” came a yell from inside the Battlewagon.

Grots began clambering down the ruins of the Battlewagon followed by a Runtherd. Apparently they had grabbed onto the side of it and climbed aboard when it had driven by. However their ride was cut short and the Runtherd snapped his whip to encourage the Grots out. A squig hound pulled taught the chain leash the Runtherd retrained it by, drooling and snapping at the Grots.

Nazduruk was angered by the loss of a Battlewagon. The boss was not going to be happy. Thinking that if they killed the Chaos Marines fast enough that he might have time to try and fix the Battlewagon, Nazduruk raised and lowered his wrecka hamma, pointing it at the Plague Marines. The Boyz jumped out of the Trukk. As soon as their feet hit the ground the Boyz whooped and hollored in glee and charged for the Plague Marines. Lacking the enthusiasm of the Boyz, the Grots likewise charged for the Plague Marines, though forced and beaten into charging was more appopriate.

A few of the Boyz were brought low by blades of the Plague Marines. Grots had suffered more than the Boyz as handfuls of them would never live to see another whipping. Choppas swung and sluggas were fired at close range yet none of the Plague Marines had fallen. Scratching and clawing the Grots climbed over the Plague Marines looking for vulnerable spots to attack. One Plague Marine toppled over under the weight of six Grots and never rose again. A power klaw of the Nob leading the Boyz disintegrated more of the Plague Marines, leaving one left amongst them. That one Plague Marine was quickly brought down under the weight of attacks.

Only a few of the Chaos Marines were left on the battlefield. Those few remaining would be dealt with once the looting was over. Nazduruk on the other hand had a Battlewagon to fix but at least there were some Rhinos to salvage parts from.

------------------------------

Was trying to keep it short, and yes Grots did kill a Plague Marine in assault. It was the highlight of the game.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Awesome report, really nice.

I really enjoyed reading it when it is in the narrative style.

- Will
Old 09 Jun 2010, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

That narrative batrep was great. Its great when grots kill anything, and then people realize they're not that crappy. I had a unit of 10 shoot, and kill 3 bloodletters.

So your KFF is green huh, I always pictured mine as blue, since its lucky.

Good luck in the next couple games.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2010, 12:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The first time I played the new Blood Angels the person charged a Sanguinary Priest at my Grots on his own. The Grots beat down that Priest and he only killed maybe 2 Grots. Your example reminds me of the time my friend charged 30 Grots at 6-8 Daemonettes and destroyed them outright. Every game I play someone will mention my Grots usually and I straight up tell them that my Grots are brutal and to watch out. They never listen and pay the price.

I sort of see most Ork energy based things as being green, KFF, PK, KMB, etc. I have nothing to back that up of course, just what comes into my head.

Game tonight so I'll see if I can get something up here tomorrow.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 14:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Forgiving myself for double posting :P, played the second game last night. I played a Marine player, another person just getting back into the game. The mission involved six objectives, of which only three were real objectives. On turn 2, 4 and 6 you had to roll to see which objectives were legit. To get a massacre you had to have more kill points and hold more objectives and deployment was dawn of war. The mission was supposed to be night fighting the entire game but we completely forgot about it.

Here's my list:

* Big Mek w/KFF
* Tankbustas x 10 + Nob
* Slugga Boyz x 12 + Nob + Trukk
* Slugga Boyz x 11 + Nob + Trukk (Big Mek here)
* ‘ard Boyz x 12 + Nob + Trukk
* Shoota Boyz x 12 + Nob + Trukk
* Grots x 18 + Runtherd
* Wartrakks x 3 w/twin-linked rokkits
* Kans x 3
* Boom Wagon
* Looted Wagon (Tankbusta ride)

I omitted the wargear to make it easier to read. The Space Marines had:

* Calgar
* Termies x 6 + Landraider (Calgar joined them)
* Dreadnought x 2
* Tacts x 10
* Tacts x 10

Yep, that was it. He had half his points invested in that Landraider and unit. I wrote another narrative report. Below that is a breakdown if you want to skip it.

----------------------------------------------

Nazduruk grinned to himself. The Chaos Marines they had fought last week had hired them. Prior to the engagement with the Orks, the Chaos Marines were en route to a location to secure some devices. They wouldn't say what exactly they were, only that they were valuable and had to be retrieved. The conflict with the Orks had left them too weak to continue their mission and so they hired the Sun'z Killaz to complete the task. Such things were not all that uncommon for the freebooting Sun'z Killaz but it always amused Nazduruk when the foe they had beaten went ahead and hired them.

The location of the objectives was a small city that sat beside a river, about 20 miles west of where the Orks had fought the Chaos Marines. Six devices would be in the area but the only ones of value would be indicated by a flashing red light. Any device that did not emit the red light was of no use and could be left but the others needed to be captured and brought back.

The Orks drove to the edge of the city. Nazduruk waved back the other vehicles and drove forward in his trukk to evaluate the city. To the east was a river that ran through the entire town and edged on that were some tall stone walls, one of which he had parked his trukk behind and climbed up to get a view. Northwest of his position was a tall building with some small forested areas between him and the building. Glancing down at the map the Chaos leader had given him, Nazduruk knew that behind the tall building sat one of the devices. To his left, the west, sat another device in a glade of trees and just north of that, between the glade and the building, sat another in the open. Straight ahead was another device beside another small glade. To the east sat one and the last was far north at the end of a stone wall that ran the length of the river. The distances between the devices wouldn't be a problem for the Sun'z Killaz, they had enough speed to get to them and secure them quickly.

Looking again to the northwest, Nazduruk saw some Space Marines climbing on top of the tall building. A quick look to the northeast showed more Space Marines at the end of the long stone wall, right next to the device that sat there. Jumping down off the wall, Nazduruk landed with a thump in the back of his trukk, bowling over a few unwary Boyz.

Raising his wrecka hamma to get attention, Nazduruk yelled out,"Da 'umies are on da uver side of dis wall. We trukks sit here and wait a bit. Get dat wagon over dere," he pointed to the west near the glade of trees in which a device sat. "I want da trakks and kanz in front of da wagon and movin' for dat building. Da Grots need ta go into dose woods and wait next to the fing in dere."

The vehicles given orders moved into position and the Runtherd drove on his Grots. Seeing the Marines on the roof, the looted wagon's turret raised up with a groan and hurled a large shell. A blast erupted and a few Marines were blown clear off the building. Following the opening shot the wartrakks took aim and fired, blowing another Marine off his feet. The disciplined Marines regrouped with a practiced efficiency and returned fire. The wartrakks leading the assault took the brunt of the hits but fortune was with them and they kept on moving.

Nazduruk had climbed back on to the wall and turned on the magnifying ability of his helmet's visor lens. Behind the northern building he could barely make out a red light that was reflecting off nearby structures. He climbed back down the wall and jumped back into his trukk.

"Time to move out!"

Taking the lead, Nazduruk's trukk raced around the west edge of the wall and turned north. Following his trukk was another full of Boyz and Tankbustas in their looted wagon. The Shoota Boyz with their trukk had gone around the wall to the east and was followed by another trukk of with 'ard Boyz. The plan was to spread out and cover the center of the city so they could react to the devices as they came online. A Landraider was the only transport vehicle the Marines had with them and Nazduruk planned to take full advantage of their slowness.

The firing of the looted wagon, wartrakks and kanz continued to blow apart Marines as they held their position on the roof. Two Marine dreadnoughts had come around the corner of the building. The return fire of the Marines and the dreadnoughts exploded two of the trakks in a showing of burning fuel. The last trakk kept driving at full speed forward through the wreckage of his squadron and was followed still by the killa kanz.

The continual firing of the Ork advance saw more Marines fall. The Tankbustas filled the air with their rokkits, firing from the top of their wagon. Only a few of the shots hit their mark but a dreadnought's weapon arm exploded and its legs stopped moving. Nazduruk's trukk took a direct lascannon hit from the Landraider, turning it into a fireball. Grumbling, Nazduruk and the boyz got clear of the trukk's remains. Some of the boyz had become impaled by some of the flying debris. If only Nazduruk had remembered to turn on his kustom force field. However, luck was on his side as the device they landed next to activated and the red light shone.

The east advance was going well. They had reached a device there when a lacannon shot from the Marines at the end of the wall detonated the Shoota Boyz trukk. Boyz were flailing around on fire, running in circles as though it was somehow going to extinguish the flames. Meanwhile, the Slugga Boyz in the west had sped past Nazduruk to drive around the building where the other activated device sat. Reaching their destination the trukk halted next to the device.

A bright red energy stuck the looted wagon. Unlike the other Ork vehicles the wagon did not become a flaming deathtrap, it just fell apart. As they climbed out of their wreck the Tankbustas aimed at the dreadnought still fully functional and fired. Two bomb squigs were also released and ran straight for the dreadnought. Cheering the Tankbustas watched the dreadnought erupt in an amazing display of conflagration.

Still racing north the 'ard Boyz' trukk took a glancing hit, blowing off the front axle. Dirt flew up as the nose of the trukk ground through the dirt and eventually came to a stop. Unwilling to accept that his trukk wasn't going to move, the Nob leading the 'ard Boyz smashed his power klaw against the vehicle's hull. When nothing happened the Nob raised his arms and let out a load cry of Waaagh! The Space Marines weren't that far away and they would pay in blood for the loss of a trukk.

The Shoota Boyz who were regrouping after the loss of their trukk heard a strange mechanical noise. Looking around they found the device under a wheel off their trukk and it was flashing red. As the 'ard Boyz fought with the Tactical Squad the Landraider advanced on the Shoota Boyz who were holding a device. A bang was heard as the front ramp of the Landraider lowered and coming out of it were Terminators but they were too late to take the device.

----------------------------------------------

I had managed to claim two of the three objectives. The Termies got in range to contest the third one I was holding. He had more in kill points but I had more objectives so I claimed a major victory and also took two battle points to get a score of 19.

I got lucky on two of those objectives popping up where they did, right where my blown up trukk units were standing. I wasn't sure I was going to get the one behind the building. I knew I had the speed to reach it but it I had to remove those dreadnoughts before they decided to turn around and smash my trukk when it got there. He made some bad choices on target priority, especially since he had so little shooting considering how many vehicles I had. I told him that holding back his Landraider the whole game had cost him. I planned to ignore it and with him not using it aggressively meant it was all the easier to ignore. Ultimately his lack of mobility was his undoing.

So next week is the final game but it's a tight race. There's about 4-5 of us all within a few points of each other. I'll need to take as many points as I can next week and hope the other point leaders don't take massacres themselves.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, I really like the report. Really well written.

Also congratulations. A shame the grots didn't kill Calgar though.

- Will