Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 pts Chaos Daemons vs Vanilla Marines 25 May 10
Old 26 May 2010, 03:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 2000 pts Chaos Daemons vs Vanilla Marines 25 May 10

Hello. I'll probably come back and forth to edit my report. I have a headache but wanted to start on it before I hit the sack.

Dream 2000 daemon army.
HQ
333 fateweaver
175 Skulltaker juggernaut

Elite
105 3 flamers of tzeentch
105 3 flamers of tzeentch
80 bloodcrushers
Troops
95 5 pink horrors: bolt
100 pink horrors: bolt, changeling
160 10 bloodletters
160 10 bloodletters

Heavy
160 Soul Grinder: Phlegm
1988 total

Vs
Captain with Relic Blade
5 Honour Guards with Relic Blades
Venerable Dreadnaught with plasma cannon
Dreadnaught with Multi- melta
10 marines power weapon, melta, rocket launcher
10 marines power weapon, melta, rocket launcher
rhino
rhino
razorback with assault cannon
10 scouts with sniper rifles and rocket launcher
10 scouts with shotguns
Thundercannon
Thundercannon
10 man devastator squad with max rockets

OK a side note this guy slightly tailored his list when I told him I wanted to try out daemons as a proxy. It's designed for all comers and not tailored to fight just marines. I've never used khorne and wanted to give them a go. Also wanted to see how fateweaver and 3 soulgrinders would work out.

Pre Game Setup
Kill points and standard mission setup with 12" deployment zone was what was rolled. He beat me on who goes and deploys first. He decided to go first which was good cause I would had let him go first.

He pretty much infiltrated his scouts and move his transports up with his army spread out to make it hard for me to come in I guess. He blew smoke on everything and waited fir me to come out on the board. I didn't want to roll for int but didn't win it anyway.

Turn 1
Pretty much moved his transports up and waited for the dsing.

- My Turn -
I split my forces in half and rolled a 2. This is why I think the tallyman and fateweaver is a waste of points. Weaver took 4th turn to finally come in to make a difference. But this what came in on turn 1.
10 bloodletters
5 horrors
Skulltaker with 2 juggernauts.
Soulgrinder
3 flamers
5 horrors

I placed my 3 flamers near his devastator squad and thunderfire cannon. The flamers was off by 4" but was still close enough to shoot. Soulgrinder and Skulltaker hit the middle with 5 horrors. 1 squad of horrors drop in his zone for rear dread and rhino shots. The bloodletters landed near shotgun scouts and other rhino.

- shooting -

I felt like I shot like orcs the whole game. The flamers toasted 7 devastator marines. Ran with bloodletters, Soulgrinder immobilized razor back, and horror squad took out venerable plasma cannon. Plus I ran with Juggernaut squad.

- assaults -
I wish

Turn 2
Marine Player
- movement -

Shotgun scouts move up to shot and assault bloodletters. Moved rhino near bloodletters 6". HQ squad jump out off razorback to fight juggernauts.

Needless to say before I go any further. The common misconception in my area is daemons suck. Further more he thought he could shoot away the daemons relatively easy. During our game he starting playing more serious and took daemons as a threat. To his horror he found out at the end of turn 3. Any back to the game at hand.

- Shooting -
Between marines in the rhino near the juggernauts, pistols from HQ squad, and assault cannons he manged to kill one Juggernaut with no wounds on the other two.

Sniper fire with rocket and thunder artillery killed 3 horrors. Other thunder artillery and shot guns managed to kill 6 bloodletters.

- Assaults -

His HQ squad assaults my skulltaker and Juggernaut. His scouts assault my 4 bloodletters.

The bloodletter assault I lost one bloodletter but I managed to kill 7 scouts. Some good rolling there. He runs and I catch him and he takes 6 wounds killing rest of squad. 3 bloodletters get ready to assault rhino which I would have str 5 hits hit rear on 4s.

Skulltaker and Captain goes at same time. Captain inflicts wound on taker. While taker hits the rest of the squad with a 5,5,6. We argued rather it not he was a retinue. I told him it was mute cause I was in base contact with the squad and directed the attacks towards the squad. He allocated a him towards his captain to get more attacks with squad. I told him if he fail he will die due to rending causes instant death. He took the chance and lost his captain 1 kp for me well 2. My Juggernaut kills another marine and the champion and other marine does nothing thanks to invul saves. He takes 4 wounds but saves them all.

My turn

- Movement -

Amazingly only 1 squad of horrors came in on the board.

Moved bloodletters closer to rhino. Moved flamer which two of them died to devastator fire moved closer to thunder artillery. Moved soulgrinder to back up bloodletters with a squad of horrors. Horrors basically going for rear armour shots.

- shooting -

Flamer takes out artillery. Which brings up the question do you roll to see what gets hit or roll to wound first. I rolled to see where the 2 wounds went which went to the techmarine. All I need was a 4 and off the artillery was gone since I killed the marine kps 3 so far. My shooting with the battle cannon kills 5 sniper scouts with battle cannon and secondary weapon. Horrors popped the rhino for 4 kps.

- assaults -

Bloodletters assault 8 marines and die to good marine die rolling. Jugger naughts and Honour guard get tied combat wounding skulltaker while killing other marine. My gosh I rolled really bad. With 5 attacks wounding and hitting on 3s you think he could at least kill one guy. The regular naught actually killed the marine.

Kps 4 Daemons
Kps 1 Marines

I'll save than spell check. Sometimes I lose my work the other way around. I'll post the rest latter tomorrow.

Turn 3
Marine Turn
- movement -
Not much just moved his juggernauts up.

- shooting -
Devesta tors kill lone flamer 1 kp. Multi Dread shoots and does nothing against grinder. Artillery hits a squad of horrors killing them 3 kps. Snipers shoot at grinder does nothing with rocket launcher.

- assault phase -
He assaulted with dread into juggernauts. I rolled five 6s to hit dread but fails to get a 6 to wound. Dread attacks squad but I reminded him he was in base contact with skulltaker and must direct his attacts towards him. Got 2 wounds but saved both. Champian and last juggernaut fight. Juggernaut kills champ and champ fails to wound skulltaker.

My Turn
- Movement-
Bloodletters, Flamers, and regular horror squad comes in. Move dread closer to marines from blow rhino. Move a horror squad near his other artillery. Moved other horror squad towards scouts.

The flamers mishapped cause I tried to flame his artillery. He place them in woods near the marines. The woods was sound since he was going for dangerous terrain checks which I passed all of them.

-shooting-
Flamers run out of the woods, Bloodletters run towards sniper scouts. Grinder fires at dreadnaught doing nothing to it. Horror squad goes for his artillery and took out the gun with the str 4 hits while the str 8 shot missed. Horrors fire at sniper marines killing 1 scout

- assaults -
Skulltaker finally gets a 6 for the rend and gets 6 on the damage chart. But it's venerable which I wind up immobilizing the unit. It fails to do anything with his 1 attack.

Kps 3 marines
Kps 4 daemons

Turn 4
Marine Turn
- Movement-
He exit rhino to double tap the bloodthirsters. In a way he would had been better off assaulting them. Dread gets into melta effect range against grinder. Tech Marine heads towards horrors.

-shooting-
TechMarine managed to kill a horror. Rhino, Devesta tors, Scouts, Marines rapid fire pour into blood letters killing 5 of them. Melta from dreadnaught only get a 4 not hurting dread. Marine squad fires into flamers killing 2.

- assaults-
Dreadnaught finally kills skulltaker tying the game 4kp to 4kp. I saved the no retreat wound for the remaining juggernaut. I probably could had put the wound on the naught but wasn't sure and research the answer one day.

My Turn
- Movement-
Changling squad and other grinder comes in. Also Fateweaver finally gets in the game. Grinder lands to where he can shoot marines in crater or dreadnaught. Fateweaver lands near other grinder. Changeling squad landed 1" away from rhino. Had to get a second opinion and it was retarded close. Next time I'll roll on it to avoid favoritism. He put them in his favorite woods where the flamers landed in the exact same spot. I actually took 3 wounds and lost 1 regular guy and my changeling. I move my other grinder near the marines and my last flamer as well. Move bloodletters towards marines out in the open. Moved horror squad away from tech marine.

- shooting-
Ex changeling squad fires at razorback and destroys assault cannon that was shooting up my poor horrors. Grinder runs.
Horrors shoot at techmarine insta killing him 1 kp. Horrors shoot at scouts. Flamer kills 5 marines from blown rhino leaving 3 left. Fateweaver pops razorback bringing me up 6kps

- assaults -
Bloodletters with 15 attacks kill 8 marines. 2 remaining killed a bloodletter. They flee and I catch them. Somehow he saved against 7 wounds. Juggernaut and Dreadnaught fail to hurt each other. To save time I'll just say they stay locked in combat till the remain er of the game. Dreadnaught manages one wound on Jugger naught.

Soulgrinder attacks 3 marines and kills them for 7 kps.

4 kps marines
7 kps daemons

Need sleep again and will continue. I loose material and have to cut paste and retype like 3-4 times.

Turn 5
Marine Player
- Movement -
Moves rhino away from bloodletters and dreadnought towards soulgrinder.

- Shooting-
Scouts and rhino shoot at horrors failing to wound them. Fires dread at soul failing to do anything. Devesta tor squad immobilize soulgrinder by shooting it in the back.

- Assault-
Bloodletters kill remaining marines 8kps consolidate towards scouts. Juggernaut and dreadnaught fight continues. Dreadnaught assaults Grinder and kills it 5kps.

My turn
- movement-
Last grinder comes in where my original grinder landed. Letters move toward scouts. Horrors move towards dread and rhino.

- shooting-
Soulgrinder 3 that came in finished off devastator squad 9kps. Shooting everywhere fails to do any thing.

- assault-
Bloodletters assault scouts being reduced to 2. 2 bloodletters kill 3 scouts leaving 2 alive. Juggernaut and dreadnaught continues. Weaver destroys dreadnought power weapon when he assaulted it.

Daemons 9kps
Marine 5kps

Turn 6 and Turn 7
I killed his scouts and dread bringing me up to 11kps. We called it at the end of 6 when the game continue to go on. I'll probably killed his rhino and don't know about the immobilized dread. Actually in turn 7 he killed my juggernaut finally.

Marine forces left.
- immobilized dreadnaught
- rhino

Daemon Forces
- 1 bloodletter
- 1 flamer
- squad of 3 horrors bolt
- squad of 2 horrors bolt
- 1 horror with bolt
- immobilized grinder
- soul grinder
- Fateweaver
Final Score
11 kps daemons
6 kps marines

Review
First time using khorne and that aspect did really well. I had some really bad shooting and horrible reserve rolling. The marine player noticed that finally and mention he would had hated if I got to re roll on my saves. Here is some observations.

Fateweaver: Man this guy came way to late to be useful and not dependable in combat. Grant it this is my first time using him. Even if he came out during the first turn I don't see him actually worth his points. If the re roll extended to 12"-18" than yes it's good. But 6" is too short of a range for an army that relies on dsing. Some icons may have to be use with this guy to actually help. My assessment not worth the points.

Skulltaker and juggernauts: The squad managed to kill a squad worth 100+ points more then they cost. Even the combat with the dread didn't go too bad. If it was a regular dread I would had won all that combat. Being venerable saved it. I liked they he took out the captain quick which also helped out a lot. I'm taking him out for a Herold and another juggernaut and see if they do as well. The chomp ability did help out in this game.

Horrors with bolt: To think about it they rarely shot at troops at all in this game. They was busy taking out vehicles. The AP1 helped out a lot but I just kept rolling bad with these guys. I'll hit but get shaken and stunned. But they did take out several weapons and destroyed some vehicles.

Grinders: didn't do super good but did OK. They took out a vehicle and kill marines in combat and shooting. Forgot they only have a 45% arc which hurt me shooting at targets. Also not very good facing dreadnaughts into battle.

Flamers: Did really well as always. Took out about 300 Pt's worth of stuff to their 210 Pt's.

Bloodletters: man they killed 15 scouts and 10 marines which about equals what they worth. Added an element my pure tzeench list was missing.

I realise I need to be able to handle dreads in combat. Antitank was OK since I only had to deal with 5 vehicles or 7 if you want to count artillery.

Bolt of tzeench and Philem did a pretty good job even though I rolled lousy.

The marine player rank daemons higher up now. Also the fact I always make saves seems to make a difference.
Old 02 Jun 2010, 04:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 2000 pts Chaos Daemons vs Vanilla Marines 25 May 10

Underestimated Daemons is not a good idea, especially SM players going against Khorne. Those high initiative power weapon attacks can be nasty. Seemed like you should have won the game much earlier than you did, but bad rolls were keeping the SM fighting.

In the future I'd just clump everything together in Daemons turn 1, instead of splitting it up into movement, shooting, and assault. When you type unit X shot unit Y, we'll figure out that movement is over.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2010, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Underestimated Daemons is not a good idea, especially SM players going against Khorne. Those high initiative power weapon attacks can be nasty. Seemed like you should have won the game much earlier than you did, but bad rolls were keeping the SM fighting.

In the future I'd just clump everything together in Daemons turn 1, instead of splitting it up into movement, shooting, and assault. When you type unit X shot unit Y, we'll figure out that movement is over.
Ok. It'll shorten up the report and encourage me to do more. On the iPhone it's a process that takes forever.

Fought eldar and won as well. Had problems with bad shooting as well in that game too.

Juggernaught of khorne is a really good unit. Also didn't realise you could take advantage of wound allocation with them. Cost the same as terminators but better.
Old 02 Jun 2010, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can't imagine writing a report on a phone, that must be horrible. Can't you just wait to get home? Don't tell everyone you won in the Eldar report, if you are planning on doing a battrep for it.

My friend uses bloodcrushers and equips them all differently, they are another tough unit to kill when you take WAC into account.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2010, 16:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh man, at first I read your list at 80 bloodcrushers :sadnshocked:. That would be terrifying.

Locally, daemons also get a bad rep. My most commonly played against army is daemons though, and for sure they are no pushovers. When one great evil dies another is just around the corner with these guys. Plus they are so unconventional many aren't used to fighting them.

I didn't think your opponent tailored his list, but really how can you. Invul saves are everywhere! Scouts seemed to be somewhat useless, so are relic blades, largely.

I have never seen the fateweaver used locally, apparently for good reason.

Old 02 Jun 2010, 18:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't have Internet at home. It's a really long story why not. So for the Internet I'm mostly on my iPhone 90% of the time while 10% is on computer. Things like spell check and some options don't work right or I loose all my progress.

So typically I sometimes type on pad and than post. Somethimes editing 3-4 times cause i don't have a spell check program. Although iPhone spell check auto pretty well though.

With the Fateweaver I think it's to situational and cost way too much. It's not bad and works well if it comes down turn 1 the same goes for the tallyman.

People always assume daemons is an easy win. I try to explain daemons is a specaltist army that is designed to tear an army apart. If a daemon player knows how to play against the opposing army than you'll have trouble beating them opposing just dsing daemons on the board and hoping for the best.

So far I slighlty fear mystics but I'm thinking dsing a foot away will solve that problem. Also a dark eldar boat list bothers me alittle bit.

But so far I never lost with daemons while with Eldar it was close simply cause of getting slaughtered early and keeper of secrets, juggernauts, seekers, and flamers helped turn that battle around. I noticed seekers does a decent antitank job as well.

I mention Eldar abit cause I decided not to do a report but did a summary of it on the deamon board. But I guess I could do a report of the battle, just was tired and didn't really feel like doing one at the time.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hay i just started playing daemons and i was wondering if you could tell me some tips/tricks to playing them.