Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Planetstrike - I have dug my grave... [1,5K Ravensquig vs Black Templars]
Old 02 May 2010, 20:03   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Planetstrike - I have dug my grave... [1,5K Ravensquig vs Black Templars]

"Wot's Dat, boss?"
Killkwik lowered his spyglass and attached it to the ever-growing mountain of junk on the back of his bike. "Dat," he said, pointing to the distant base. "Dat is a
challenge! Da Beakies built dis shrine to honour one o' dere Warbosses who died krumpin' our Boyz a loada years back. It's guarded by one of da 'ardest Beakies in da universe; da one called Grimaldus!"
The name was known by the Tribe - one of the Space Marines who fought on Armageddon; the Waaagh to end all Waaaghs.
"So, we'z gonna' crump 'im?"
"'course we'z gonna' crump 'im ya' stoopid git!" There was a loud bang as Killkwik smacked the Ork in the face with the first thing that came to hand, which turned out to be a power claw. "Mount up! We'z gonna' ride d'em Beakies down!"

Da' Ravensquig:

Warboss Killkwik Squigsplatta; Masta of Da Ravensquig
[uses Wazdakka Gutsmek's Rules]
-180pts.

Warboss Klankrot 'Eadpounda
Big Choppa, Attack Squig, Bike.
-120pts.

Nobz:
Painboy with Grot Orderly and Bike.
Nob with Power Klaw, Waaagh! banner and Bike.
Nob with Power Klaw.
Nob with Big Choppa.
2 Nobs.
-375pts.

Warbiker Mob 1:
Nob with Power Klaw.
5 Warbikers.
-185pts.

Warbiker Mob 2:
Nob with Power Klaw.
5 Warbikers.
-185pts.

Warbiker Mob 3:
Nob with Power Klaw.
5 Warbikers.
-185pts.

Deffkopta Mob 1:
3 Deffkoptas with Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha.
-135pts.

Deffkopta Mob 2:
3 Deffkoptas with Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha.
-135pts.

Total: 1,500pts.

The Black Templars:

Chaplain Grimaldus: Hero of Helsreach
-195pts.

Squad Grimaldus – Command Squad.
Apothecary with bolt pistol and close combat weapon.
Standard Bearer with Sacred Standard, bolt pistol and close combat weapon.
Company Champion.
2 Initiates with Flamers.
Initiate with bolt pistol and close combat weapon.
-188pts.

Brother Sejanus – the Emperor’s Champion
Suffer not the Unclean to Live.
-125pts.

Crusader Squad Acheron:
Initiate with Power Fist & Bolt pistol.
Initiate with Flamer.
8 Initiates with Bolt pistol and ccw.
Neophyte with bolt pistol and ccw.
191pts.

Crusader Squad Vindictus:
Initiate with Power weapon & Bolt pistol.
Initiate with Flamer.
8 Initiates with Bolt pistol and ccw.
176pts.

Crusader Squad Pergatus
2 Initiates with Meltaguns.
8 Initiates with Bolters.
-180pts.

Crusader Squad Hecate
2 Initiates with Meltaguns.
8 Initiates with Bolters.
-180pts.

Land Raider Crusader
-265pts

Total: 1,500pts.

Defender Strategems: Fortified Stronghold [the Chapel].

Attackers Strategems: Scorch the Skies, Dawn Assault.

The Battlefield:
The Battlefield consisted of a fortified Chapel, with a Generator complex and Skyshield Landing Pad. The Chapel itself was monstrously over-gunned, with two Heavy Bolters per facing and THREE quad Auto-cannons mounted on the roof. Taking this place would be a monumental task, especially with Grimaldus guarding it! The Templars set up as shown, with the fourth squad mounted in the Crusader.

Turn 1 – The Storm Approaches:
The Ork turn began well, with the Firestorm generating nine shots for the Orks! Putting them straight to use, the Orks subjected the Skyshield landing pad to an extensive bombardment, but even with five direct hits the Ork assault merely caused a Shaken result! The final shots were dropped on the squad guarding the north wall, but their cover saved them.

Despite this setback, the Orks attacked with reckless abandon. Killkwik, Klankrot and the Nobs came howling over the unprotected southern wall, though one Nob was injured in the attempt. The Warbikers followed suit with one of their men crashing into the defence tower, much to the amusement of his peers. The Deffkoptas came in from above, but the triple Quad-autocannons of the Chapel tore them to bloody pieces before they could so much as fire a shot.

Though the firefight had gone poorly, the Orks would not be deterred; they hurled themselves at the Skyshield pad, tearing its support struts apart with power claws. One of the Nobs was caught in the collapse, but his supernatural constitution saved him. The Templars guarding the facility were not so lucky; three of their number were hurled into the waiting blades of the Orks, or crushed by collapsing metalwork. The survivors were trapped, buried under rubble and unable to strike back at the foe.

The Black Templar retaliation was less than ideal. Grimaldus and his men opened fire from the Bastion, adding pistol and flamer to the thunder of the Bastion’s heavy bolters. Grimaldus claimed a single Ork, as did the Emperor’s Champion, but the rest of their firepower proved useless. Even the Crusader’s formidable arsenal could not bring down the seemingly invulnerable greenskins! Squad Acheron abandoned the Generator, electing to sprint across the snow to help rescue their kin. Pergatus moved up behind them to secure the now abandoned generator.

With the opening moves over, the stage was set for a bloodbath...

Turn 2 – Blood on Snow:
With the Ork Horde now present in full force, the survivors of the crushed landing pad found themselves the target of a murderous storm of dakka. Knights fell as heavy calibre slugs pounded into them, whilst the Crusader was struck repeatedly with anti-tank missiles. Thankfully, the Ork projectiles lacked the penetrative power to harm the lumbering battletank.

With a blood-chilling cry, Killkwik hurled his Nobs into the melee. Neophyte Quintas was cut down instantly, his master faring little better as Ork blades hammered against the Marines. One of the brave warriors landed a blow against Klankrot, his chainsword biting deep into the beast’s hide as its monstrous axe swung left and right. Brother Ivansis hurled himself forward, power fist crackling, and smashed one of the Nobs from its machine in a burst of arcing energy. However, it was not enough – Killkwik personally ripped four of the Knights apart, and a fifth was crushed beneath heavy wheels as he turned to bellow a challenge to the Master of the Ravensquig. The survivors of the Landing Pad’s collapse scrambled from the rubble, only to be torn limb from limb by the Nobs. The Skyshield Pad was now in Ork hands, and things were looking very, very grim for the Black Templars...

Believing the best form of defence is a strong offense, Grimaldus roared a challenge and signalled the counter-attack. All of the surviving Black Templars rushed forward to tear the Nobs apart in a flurry of blades and pistols. The Crusader proved its worth, all but wiping out a squad of Bikers and causing the survivors to flee. The Nob escaped beyond the fortress walls, but his last surviving comrade was not so lucky, losing control and dying in a bloody heap. The guns of the Chapel roared, tearing apart one of the Orks holding the Skyshield pad’s rubble remains.

With screams of hatred in his lungs, Grimaldus threw imself into combat. As he charged, Grimaldus ordered his Servitors to hold the relics high, inspiring his men to ever greater feats of glory. The combined might of Grimaldus and the Emperor’s Champion was enough to hurl the mighty Klankrot from his saddle and down into the dirt, the Warboss lashed out. Grimaldus was wounded by the blow, but the attention of the Apothecary was sufficient to treat the injury. The rest of the Templars stuck with righteous anger, pulling Orks down left and right. The Orks were not willing to sit idly by, however, and they killed as two Templars for each loss of life. Blood soaked the ground, but with no clear victor the fighting became a bogged down stalemate.

Turn 3 – The death of Heroes:
The Orks had lost momentum, but they were determined to regain it. The remaining Warbikers raced forward, slamming into the back of Grimaldus’ retinue. The battle was increasingly bloody, with both sides losing warriors left and right. The Emperor’s Champion hurled himself towards Killkwik, thrusting for a killing strike. The Warboss was ready, ducking aside and lashing out with murderous intent. His weapon closed around the Champion’s neck and severed the head without effort. Grimaldus himself was mortally wounded a heartbeat later, but pushed on. He fought with righteous anger as his men died around him, striking out with a hammerblow that avenged the fallen Champion. However, Grimaldus did not live to savour his victory; another Ork rushed at him from the flank, and he was crushed beneath the wheels of the beast’s mount.

Both sides were now crippled, and victory for either side seemed unlikely. Nevertheless, neither side would give in whilst the other drew breath; the final battle was close at hand.

Turn 4, 5 & 6– The Last Knights:
Seeing no hope of victory against the Crusader, the Deffkoptas fled. The remaining nine Templars were locked in battle; a battle swiftly joined by the surviving Warbikers. They hacked at the remaining Nobs, anger burning in their hearts as they sought to define the enemy banner, but the inhuman endurance of the Nobs protected them time and again. One by one, the Knights joined their brethren – dead in the cold snow.

The surviving Orks turned toward the Crusader. Seeking vengeance, the machine let fly upon the remaining Nobs, its crew taking a sense of fierce pride at finally seeing the Waaagh! Banner fall. Their victory was short-lived, however; Ork Rokkits blew apart the vehicle’s treads, and seeing it could no-longer flee the Nob commanding the last of the Warbikers rushed forward, leaping from his bike and climbing the machine. Hatches were torn off and blood was shed one final time. In a few moment of carnage, the last of the Templars was slain – the field belonged to the Ravensquig!

HOLD IT!
Some of you may have noticed that the Black Templars appear to be a squad down. Well, this is because the Black Templar player put them to one side, choosing to deploy them "in the Land Raider". He then completely forgot they were there until after the game had ended! D'oh!

In recognition of this mistake, I let him take a moral victory on the grounds of "We Woz Robbed!", and the Templars departed with a promise that they'd be back!

Sounds like an excuse to field Orks on the Defence...

Grimaldus lay bleeding on the ground, surrounded by the dead of enemy and ally alike. He could smell burning in the air - flesh and timber and fuel all consumed together. He craned his head toward the sacred chapel, feeling pure fury boil up inside him as the sacred shrine to the Templars was razed by the Greenskins.
"You iz gonna' die, Humie!"
Grimaldus turned to face the challenge. A Bloodied Ork stood above him, a long spear readied for a killing thrust. Before the Ork could strike a burst of plasma struck it in the chest, reducing the hulking beast to ashes. A new face stepped into view; the foul, scarred face of Warboss Killkwik.
"You iz strong!" The Ork chuckled, "Shame you ain't strong enough! Your Boyz iz comin' soon, but we'll be long gone. We'z taken your gubbinz an' killed loadz of you gitz, but you I iz gonna' let go; I want to fight you at your best! I'll come back for you someday, Grimaldus, and den we'll have a proper good fight!"
"I will be waiting, Xenos filth!" Grimaldus spat the words, but the Warboss was already storming away, laughing loudly and dreaming of what wonders he could create with the plunder of the shrine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Planetstrike - I have dug my grave... [1,5K Ravensquig vs Black Templars]

Great report, and nice use of Vassal for the pictures. Good to see someone playing the expansion games too. I like how you let the commander get away in the end. I've done the same thing in my fluff; it just makes sense for Orks not to kill the wounded, but let them heal to fight another day.

Too bad your buddy forgot that last squad. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but would have added to the carnage. I think everyone has done that though. I left a pair of koptas under my table, during the last round of a tournament, and they probably would have helped against the mech Eldar force I was playing against.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 13:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Planetstrike - I have dug my grave... [1,5K Ravensquig vs Black Templars]

Congrats on being the latest featured report.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

An epic report Wargamer. And an epic fight to match. I would have thought that the landraider would have done more with those assault cannons, but CC happened pretty quickly so i guess not.

+1 ie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 15:38   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

This is a featured battle report? When did that happen? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
This is a featured battle report? When did that happen? :P
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote