- Regeneration

Heavy Support 2: Trygon - 235 points
- Regeneration
- Adrenal Glands

Heavy Support 3: Trygon - 235 points
- Regeneration
- Adrenal Glands

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1843[/size]

A more anti-tank variation on Amon Amarth.

Eldar army-

HQ - Autarch on a bike

HQ - Autarch, was attached somewhere but I can't remember where.

Elite - Fire Dragons x10
-Wave serpent

Elites - Striking Scoprions x~8
-Exarch with claw

Troops - Guardian x10
-Scatter laser

Troops - Dire Avenger x9
-Exarch with bladestorm
-Wave Serpent

Troops - Pathfinders x~6

Troops - Bikes x~8
-Warlock

Heavy - Fire Prism
-Holo field
-Star engines

Heavy - Fire Prism
-Holo field
-Star engines

I wasn't exactly sure of most of his army's equipment. I wasn't too concerned, to be honest.

Mission type - Seize ground, 3 objectives

Deployment type - Pitched battle

First turn - Tyranids

Map;

Very simple map. One piece of terrain in each corner, three in the center in a < shape. One tiny piece of terrain 15" from my table edge offset to the left of the center. So, the terrain radiated out of the center in an X.

Objectives were in the bottom left corner terrain, in the center of the map, then in the offset to the right of the center 12" from my table edge.

DEPLOYMENT!

I put my termagants in the terrain on the left corner w/ the objective. Devilgaunts right on the edge of the right/center terrain. One Trygon far right on the edge of the terrain, to his left, 3 Hive guard w/ a prime, then the devilgaunts, the 26 hormies squeezed in between them and a Trygon Prime, then the next 3 hive guard w/ prime, 2 hive guard to their left, then a Trygon with the termagants on the left edge in terrain.

As I'm placing my units, we're discussing the new 'nid codex. He has never played it, or seen anything from it. He asks about some units and I hand him my codex while telling him about the changes. He asks why Trygons over squadrons of Carnifex. I inform him that the only advantage of a Carnifex is S9, which can be difficult to bring to bear. He lectures me on how I'm simply playing them wrong, and 2 squads of 6 carnifex would be "damn near unstoppable". I simply laugh and shake my head. He is very smug and has a major know-it-all attitude. I rarely play competitively, usually trying new lists from game to game and just trying to have fun. Yet I find I am determined to annihilate him.

Eldar place Pathfinders on the middle/left ruins closer to him, on the third floor.

Turn 1 -

Everything moves forward. Both terms hunker in cover around their objectives. Left hive guard w/prime shuffles into cover. The two groups of Hive Guard on the left blast at the pathfinders, knocking out two. Horamgaunts run forward

Pathfinders manage to do nothing vs the Trygon Prime

Turn 2 -

Everything moves forwards. The Hormagaunts rapidly spread out as my opponent taunts me about his blast templates coming next turn (Thanks for the heads up, retard!) My right HG and Trygon move away from the table edge in hopes of avoiding the scorpions. I pray they don't come in on my gaunts to the left. L HG grounds and both the LTrygon and Trygon Prime blast at the Pathfinders, bringing them down 2 more. Hormagaunts are now about 20" from his table edge, domination a HUGE section of the board since I decided to spread them out to the limits of unit cohesion. Eat THAT blast templates!

Everything comes in from reserves. Scorpions come in my right, he taunts me about how his scorpions are S4 and he's going to crush me with them. I just laugh and approve. His Guardians walk on directly infront of my gaunts. Fire prisms and wave serpents come in to the right of the guardians, bikes to the left. Everything moves up behind the cover to my right about 15" off his edge. He fires EVERYTHING he has at the hormagaunts... and still 6 stay up. (EAT THAT! Cover saves are a biotch) I taunt him mercilessly, he assaults them with the bikes and wipes them out, consolidating back. He taunts me saying my Trygons are at least 14" away. I laugh and say he's right (Apparently he doesn't remember me telling him they were fleet). His scorpions assault my RHG and lose combat 4-3, luckily for him majority I was 2, cause I rolled a 5 and he rolled a 4. He starts crying about how HG are T6 and he never would have assaulted me if he had known that, and proclaiming he's screwed. I've come to the conclusion that he's possibly mildly retarded, considering he has a power claw and I've got 5 wounds left in the unit with no power weapons.

Turn 3 -

L Trygon and prime move up towards the bikes, he tries to explain to me, in detail, a more effective use for Trygons. His plan involves deep striking all three and using them to "Draw fire and disrupt the enemy lines". I'm becoming really annoyed. R Trygon foregos joining in on the assault vs the scorpions and moves towards the fire dragon's wave serpent. The two left hive guard blast the pathfinder down to 1, rather than waste shots on the bikes. He does a double take as I fleet both LTrygon and Prime right up to his bikes, and tries to mask it by calmly declaring he'll easily handle them. RTrygon fleets right up to the Fire Warrior serpent. The bikes get assaulted by both trygons... and it's bad. It's so bad. There's so much blood. Why would he let me do that? I take two wounds on the prime and utterly annihilate the entire unit. The RTrygon blows up the serpent and the explosion kills three inside. At this point he's getting visibly flustered and declaring the Trygons are ridiculously good. I smile and agree. Hive guard on the right don't do as well, the unit drops a scorpion but takes three wounds and louses a HG. I make both fearless saves. Here's where I made my only real mistake of the game. I consolidated both LTrygon and prime towards the Guardians. Both had 5s, I should have moved the Prime towards the center, but I didn't take the time to think and just did an aggressive consolidation like I usually do. Apparently my instinctive behavior is feed.

He flies both prisms away from R Trygon, jumping over the terrain. The avenger serpent turbo boosts to the devilgaunts objective and does a 180 to point at my prime. I take some serious shooting this round, and the RTrygon takes 5 wounds, Trygon Prime takes 3 more, putting him at 5. I make it through shooting and am PRAYING to make it to my turn for regen. RTrygon is my "New one eye" Trygon, he has a history of regening at least 1 wound a turn, with a record 6 wounds in 3 rounds. I know deep in my twisted black soul, he'll regen if he makes it through the dragon's assault. Guardians assault my prime hoping to take it down, dragons against RTrygon. Both combats go exactly as I expected, and he's slaughtered. Guardians run up to the table edge, dragons get nomed. I lose the Hive Guard and my prime. He consolidates towards my devil gaunts.

Turn 4 -

Regen time! The Prime, true to his ways, rolls none. I can't begrudge him, as he's always a complete beast in assaults. New One Eye, also true to his ways, regens two. A spectator who has suffered at the hands of New One Eye proceeds to attempt to finish it off with hurtful words. Luckily they're only S1 so I'm good. The group of 2 Hive guard moves towards the right, Prime moves towards the center prism, LTrygon moves down but stays within 6" to force the guardians off the board. RTrygon moves towards the RPrism, ready to eat some more space elves. My devilgaunts move through cover, getting 5 models behind the wave serpent with hopes of glancing. Shooting goes... mediocre. Devilgaunts and Hive guard x5 combined manage to immobilize and shake the serpent. I assault the LPrism with my prime, and my opponent reminds me in a VERY patronizing manner, that I need 6s to hit. I laugh and roll 7 dice. I don't get a single 6. He begins lecturing me on the strengths of fast skimmers. I remind him I get to reroll misses, he begins asking why as I reroll and get 3 6s. Spectators reiterate the strengths of scything talons to him, for the fourth time, as I roll three penetrates. He remains confident his holo-field will save him. I roll a 5... and a 2. I roll a 6... and a 5. NOM NOM NOM. R Trygon manages 1 hit and no penetration (I forgive him, he regened.)

Guardians run off the table. The avengers disembark, the scorpions move towards the Trygon, the RPrism flies just north of my devilgaunts. The avengers blast the shtlk out of my gaunts, but I remove models in a way that he's gonna need a 6 to assault me in cover (I should have pulled it differently and been safer, but I wanted to stay on the objective... because I'm a retard). His scorpions shoot at RTrygon and do squat. The lone pathfinder rolls 6 and 6 to finish off my prime with a beautiful eyeshot. Scorpions assault R Trygon, get a wound with normal troops, I somehow only manage three wounds, and am finished by his claw. He's got the exarch and I think one scorpion left, moving towards the devilgaunts. Avengers assault the gaunts and finish them off.

Turn 5 -

LTrygon makes his leadership test and rushes back across the board. LHG moves within 3" of central objective. 5x Hive Guard blast at the Fire Prism, destroying it.

Pathfinder rushes out of his building sprinting towards the objective, sadly he's 4". Shooting from the serpent at the Trygon results in 0 wounds.

Turn 6 - 2x Hive guard waste the pathfinder, 3x Hive guard shake the serpent. The Trygon rushes closer, ending 8" from the avengers after his fleet.

More fail shooting, 0 wounds on the Trygon.

Game ends. Tied game. If it had gone another turn, I would've easily tabled him and won. Sadly, it did not.

Post game thoughts-

Hive Guard are good. They underperformed on their penetration rolls, and I didn't even get to use the right squad for shooting, but I will use them again. Once again, Trygons run the game. I have never had them let me down, they are my favorite unit. I've seen them run down skimmers, smash open land raiders, drop daemon princes, there really isn't much I don't think they CAN'T do. None of my gaunts really got a chance to do anything, except eat shooting, which was fine by me, as it kept my guard and trygons alive.

My opponent was very smug, and his overconfidence was his downfall. I offered him my codex and he only looked at it for about a minute. Considering I only ran five different units, he should've educated himself while he had the chance. The Hormagaunts were absolutely perfect, absorbing an entire round of shooting that would've surely dropped a Trygon if he'd been smart enough to focus fire. They only lasted that long because of cover saves and weight of numbers, two things the Trygon did not have.
TraceofToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 15:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: Battle Report - Tyranids vs Space Elves 1850

Another good battle report. Enjoyable to read as well! +1
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do you think that Adrenal Glands and/or the Prime upgrade are worth the points?

Do you think that you could live with normal termagants as opposed to hormagants, but with a tervigon?
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Too bad you didn't table him; he deserved it. Guess he picked the right army to play with that attitude.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 23:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to TraceofToxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanoob
Do you think that Adrenal Glands and/or the Prime upgrade are worth the points?

Do you think that you could live with normal termagants as opposed to hormagants, but with a tervigon?
The AG and Prime upgrades are a huge benefit. The 5 I is invaluable for marines, and I found it to be useful against Eldar for going simo. 7 Str helps with penetrating vehicles and eating bikes/plague marines. Prime is invaluable when you're using shooty warriors and they're not running, plus the shadow in the warp and extra 6 shots do make a difference.

Well, my problem with Termagants vs Hormagaunts is that they rarely keep up with the Trygons, as one bad fleet and they fall behind (I usually have one Trygon that spends the whole game running/consolidating 1/2s and suffering the same fate, but they have the advantage of drawing attention regardless). Yes they get the shooting, but I like Hormagaunts because they tie an enemy up, and 40-60 attacks with the reroll bonus that wound on 50% of the time usually turns into 3-7 dead marines. Enough to keep them locked in combat for several rounds. I would have to run 2 Tervigons and drop the prime upgrade, then just use the 18" synapse, more than likely. It would help a lot in objectives games, and vs mech as the Tervigons are 2 more T6 MCs people just want to kill.
Old 03 May 2010, 09:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Excellent report, that sucks that you only tied.

BTW there is a board specifically for battle reports so called we get this moved.
Corbulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 10:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbulo
Excellent report, that sucks that you only tied.

BTW there is a board specifically for battle reports so called we get this moved.
I'm aware, we post them here to share with other nid players then our wonderful mods transfer them after a few days.
Old 03 May 2010, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceofToxin
I'm aware, we post them here to share with other nid players then our wonderful mods transfer them after a few days.
This man speaks the truth.
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 13:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nice report, too bad it didn't go the extra turn for you though.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If there's anything my games have in common, it's that the majority of the time I roll annihilation (I've played... two? Objective games at the FLGS) and that if I'm about to table my opponent the game will end before I get to.

Thanks for all the support, it wasn't that he was being a jerk, more that he was so damn smug and condescending. The table would've been glorious though