Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Stealth Cadre vs Black Templar Space Marines 1500 points [May 1st 2010]
Old 01 May 2010, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau Stealth Cadre vs Black Templar Space Marines 1500 points [May 1st 2010]

Introduction: Hey everyone, as promised, I went to play test my Shadowsun Stealth Cadre today. I played 3 matches, winning 2 and drawing 1. I figured I’d post a report from one of the battles I won. The army performs quite well and the recent changes worked nicely to my advantage. Now to begin…

Notes: The diagrams which are to follow in this battle report work as follows: yellow arrows are movement, red lines are shooting, red arrows are charges. Anything brown is difficult terrain, anything grey is a building of some kind, the light green are trees. Tau are blue, marines are black. The devilfish has no movement arrow... It seems I must have forgotten it... I hope everyone still gets the idea.

Lists:
Tau List:
HQ:
Shadowsun – 175 points

Elites:

4 XV15 stealth suits – 132 points
-team leader
-bonding knife
-fusion blaster

6 XV25 stealth suits – 194 points
-team leader
-bonding knife
2 fusion blasters

6 XV25 stealth suits – 194 points
-team leader
-bonding knife
-2 fusion blasters

Troops:

6 Fire warriors – 81 points
-Shas’ui
-bonding knife
-pulse carbines
-photon grenades

10 Fire warriors – 100 points
-pulse rifles

10 Fire warriors – 100 points
-pulse rifles

Fast Attack:
8 pathfinders – 181 points
-devilfish
-disruption pods

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead – 170 points
-railgun
-burst cannons
-disruption pods
-target lock
-multi-tracker
Hammerhead – 170 points
-railgun
-burst cannons
-disruption pods
-target lock
-multi-tracker

Total: 1497 points

Space Marine List (Roughly):
Emperor’s Champion
Chaplain
10 Terminators with lightning claws
10 Assault Marines
9 Tactical Marine
Rhino
5 Devastators (with at least 1 lascannon)
Dreadnought
Landraider Crusader

Mission type: Annihilation
Deployment type: Spearhead
Deployment:

The Tau deployed first, building up a very strong firebase(2x10 fire warriors and shadowsun) in some heavy cover. The hammerheads took to the flanks as far away from one another as possible and with some great firing lanes. The stealthsuits infiltrated in, but only one was placed way up front, ready to pop a dread. The Space Marines deployed with their landraider full of terminators on the far side of the board and the rhino as close to the other edge as possible. The bulk of the force was in the shadow of the big building near the center of the board.

Tau Turn 1:

Hopping in the Devilfish, the 6 man fire warrior team races off to break up the massive clump forming my deployment zone. The infiltrating stealth suits jump forward, exploding the dreadnought before falling back to relative safely. The second XV25 stealth team presses forward in order to take out the assault squad, however, because of the black templar special rule, they got into assault range of the XV25s who had popped the dread. Both hammerheads fire, one at the landraider which fails to so much as glance, and one at the rhino… which misses…
Space Marine Turn 1:

Moving the devastators into the cover of the building, and beginning to rush vehicles towards the Tau line, the assault squad fired at the stealth suits, killing 3. By removing the front 3 suits, my stealth suits were now no longer in charge range (Mwhahaha!). The landraider and rhino popped smoke.

Tau Turn 2:

The stealth suits were in a buzz of activity, the XV15s ready to attack anyone bailing out of the rhino when it was shot down while the 2 XV25 teams began to organize the elimination of the assault squad. The railgun missed the again rhino… then the fusion blaster failed to penetrate its front armour… fail. The second hammerhead immobilized the landraider.
Space Marine Turn 2:

Disembarking his tactical squad and Emperor’s Champion, the rhino tankshocked the XV15s. Death or glorying… the fusion blaster rolled snake eyes and failed to penetrate the rhino… being run over. The chaplain and his assault marines crashed through the cover after my stealth suits, only to fall down and hurt themselves, did not accomplished the charge and took 2 casualties in the process. The devastators took out the devilfish, leaving it wrecked and very in the way of the tactical marines and Emperor’s Champion.

Tau Turn 3:

The concentrated fire of 2 XV25 stealth teams, the pathfinder’s markerlights, the 6 man Fire warriors squad and a 10 man Fire warriors squad was enough to drop the chaplain and his buddies once and for all. Jumping the XV15s clear, I tried yet again to blow up the rhino using the hammerhead… only to miss once again (did I mention I have bad luck?). I turned the 9 Burst cannons of the XV15 team on the rhino and finally managed to glance it twice and score a single penetration. The glances became weapon destroyed (both, making one immobilized) and the pen was immobilized, meaning it was dead. The second hammerhead kept on hammering that immobilized Landraider, but only managed to land a weapon destroyed result.
Space Marine Turn 3:

the Emperor’s Champion and 9 Tactical marines run through the XV15 Stealth team like butter. The terminators reluctantly deploy from their immobilized vehicle. They run, but only make it 1 inch.

Tau Turn 4:

Shifting into position, the XV25 stealth teams, supported by a hammerhead large blast template, the pathfinder’s markerlights and the 3 fire warrior teams… the Tau still don’t manage to wipe out the Emperor’s champion, however, his tactical marine cushion disappears. The hammerhead manages to destroy the landraider!
Space Marine Turn 4:

The terminators begin their long march forward… it was going to be a long day for them as they rolled another 1 to run. Meanwhile, the Emperor’s champion makes a mockery of the Fire Warriors and wipes out the unit (what a surprise) before consolidating towards the pathfinders. The devastators still cannot get through the Hammerhead’s front armour 13 with a disruption pod, though they try pretty hard to do it.

Tau turn 5:

Leaping forward, Shadowsun delivers the final blow. Melting the Emperor’s Champion into a molten pile of slag with 2 fusion blaster hits.

The Space Marine’s forfeit since the game was 7 Kill points to 3, and the terminators would never make it into combat in the time remaining.

Result: Tau Victory! ;D

Afterward and thoughts: The game was pretty well fought in my opinion, with no clear MVP for my list (everything kind of sucked just a little too much to ever rise above the masses and earn MVP). In future, I will use spearhead deployment to take advantage of the spare table quarters to infiltrate into (it’s a lovely big space and the stealth fields will make me pretty well off just sitting out there all alone). The list seems to be working well, though Shadowsun’s leadership bonus was not a big deal this time around.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: Tau Stealth Cadre vs Black Templar Space Marines

Vassal is a wonderful program. Download it, and watch your battle reports come to life!

I will agree that stealthsuits are hard to use well, especially an army of them, so congrats on the result, but vanilla marines are not that hard of an opponent. I reckon shooty orks would really trouble you, same with Blood Angels.

Good result on the whole tho, well done, but Vassal is alot easier to use than self-drawn squares marked as vehicles

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 23:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Vassal is a little hard to find these days since they were pwned by GamesWorkshop... but I usually take pictures of my reports using a camera, which is better than vassal any day... this was just a 1 off.

I actually designed this list with shooty orks in mind. 2 of the Fire warrior squads would be wiped out, as would the pathfinders, but past that, shooty orks would be relatively useless, as the vehicle's disruption pods would keep them safe from harm and the stealth suits would likely be able to lay lowand not be blown away by a torrent on inaccurate firepower. The list really suffers against MEQ though. With only 7 fusion blasters as anti-armour, I am rellying on massed fire to chip terminator armour... something that just doesn't seem to happen that much.
Old 02 May 2010, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heh, that's hilarious; I just asked if you could do some battle reports in your Ninja list thread :funny:
[hr]

About the battle though:

Things I'd do differently: I wouldn't have Infiltrated those Stealthsuits that close to an Assault Squad. But frankly, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did so good job, I guess :P. I wouldn't have held Shadowsun back as much either, 2 BS5 Fusion Blasters could've helped in a few scenarios, but given your rolling... anyway, since you didn't appear to need her leadership boost and you wouldn't've lost because of her giving up a kill point (since you won by 4)... but things appear to have worked out fine regardless. Just mentioning that if it appears your initial plan isn't necessary you can go ahead and change it.

Things you did that I found good: it's nice to see Stealth hold their own shooting MEqs, I like the idea that I can actually do some good work with them... it's a pity you had such a hard time killing the vehicles with those Hammerheads but you adjusted to the bad luck marvelously (IMO), and didn't get phased because of poor penetration rolls or results rolling.
[hr]

Your opponent's list is illegal (unless I don't remember the Black Templars Force Org correctly and Assault Marines or Devs are Troops :P):
Orange is HQ
Blue is Elites
Red is Troops
Green is Fast Attack
Black is Heavy Support/Dedicated Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio
Space Marine List (Roughly):
Emperor’s Champion
Chaplain

10 Terminators with lightning claws
10 Assault Marines
9 Tactical Marine
Rhino
5 Devastators (with at least 1 lascannon)
Dreadnought
Landraider Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 00:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good report, and a nice win with a non-cookie cutter list. In the future don't tell everyone you won the game in the opening paragraph; kind of ruins the suspense. I think I might try out some fusion stealths in the future. I've got a bunch of XV25s and could put them armed with fusions and add them to my XV15 squads. I usually use them for anti-horde, but infiltrating and popping that dread was nice. I think I would have infiltrated the other two squads to go after that rhino and let the hammerheads concentrate on the land raider.

If you ask around you can still find Vassal, but pics would be better than paint map if you have a photobucket account. In future reports make the maps smaller too, so you don't have to scroll sideways to see them. Can you modify the title to include the points value the game was played at, as well as the date played?

Anything you would have done differently? Here's a cookie for the first of hopefully many reports :cookie:
Some fluff would be nice too, but not required.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 01:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrelio
Vassal is a little hard to find these days since they were pwned by GamesWorkshop... but I usually take pictures of my reports using a camera, which is better than vassal any day... this was just a 1 off.

I actually designed this list with shooty orks in mind. 2 of the Fire warrior squads would be wiped out, as would the pathfinders, but past that, shooty orks would be relatively useless, as the vehicle's disruption pods would keep them safe from harm and the stealth suits would likely be able to lay lowand not be blown away by a torrent on inaccurate firepower. The list really suffers against MEQ though. With only 7 fusion blasters as anti-armour, I am rellying on massed fire to chip terminator armour... something that just doesn't seem to happen that much.
Well by "shooty orks" i didnt mean "orks that cant assault" - And you probably underestimate ork shooting like many Tau players before you :P I have lost count of how many Tau players i have outshot with deffkoptas ridding of their hammerheads before his first turn, and lootas obliterating crisis and stealthsuits with endless volleys of lead - which is followed by the trukks of boyz hurdling towards their squishy blue-ead enemies :P

As for vassal, saying "its hard to find" is the biggest joke - seriously first google result got me vassal with absolute ease and that was only last month

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2010, 03:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alright! From the bottom up!

Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean by shooty Orks, every Monday at University I would play a game of 40K against an Ork player (or someone else... but the ork player is important for this example). His 1500 point army was composed of:
2 Big Meks with Kustom forcefields
Snikrot
Some number of Komandos
5 Deffdreads
and 30 lootas

Every game I played, the first turn would just be my firewarrior disolving, regardless of what I did, I couldn't move back because Snikrot was infiltrating in off the board edge and would charge me if I was close, I couldn't move forward because the dreads were lumbering in. All the while, those lootas just sat there and pumbled me.
So it's safe to say I know about shooty orks. It was that army which was the inspiration for this list.

A lot of the Vassal downloads I found through google had extra malware and stuff lingering around them, so my computer freaked out. I'm sure there must be some honoust downloads out there, but the first page of google I searched came back rather poor.

[hr]

In future, I will try to avoid telling everyone I won. The way I wrote this list, I kind of worked backwards, so my introduction was the last thing I wrote. None the less, I will try to build more suspense next time :P

There were a few things I would have done differently, though the net result worked out pretty well. I was thinking the whole thing over on my way home (its an hours walk to my nearest gaming location since the hobby shop up the street closed, so I had lots of time to think)... but other than a couple deployment changes and getting that home base on the move once the threats were neutralized... I think I did pretty well. I made use of the fact that I can move my full distance over cover (its a risk, but losing a suit is worth not being assaulted and losing the squad), which is something I've been working on and I think my target prioritizing was pretty good.

Normally I would write fluff, and if you'd like I will even post up some stories sometime (I really do like writing). I was even going to do it for this one... but when the time came I wasn't sure if you guys liked that sort of thing or were just in it for the facts, so I figured I'd leave it and go take a nap instead... yah...

[hr]

We-Tain, I was just on my way to send you a link for this... I guess you found it yourself :P

The scale wasn't exactly correct on my paint map, so the XV25's wern't as close as they seem in the picture, however, I agree, they were a little too close to that squad to be a good thing, and if the assualt squad hadn't opened fire letting me kill off enough suits to get out of assault range, I would have lost them. In hindsight, I could have infiltrated them 18 inches from the rhino, moved to 12 inches in their turn, shot it with 2 fusion blasters and probably popped it, leaving the hammerhead free to go after the dread and keeping my stealth team clear from any form of trouble.

I probably should have started moving forward when it was clear he was no longer coming towards me with any efficient tactics (around turn 3 I could have optimized fire the following turn by moving up the 2 units of 10 Fire warriors and Shadowsun... ah well, live and learn. I was playing this one a little too safe I'm afraid.

My luck is absolutely aweful, never in your life will you see so many missed shots than if you were to play a game with me... but, I've had this luck for a long time, and I've gotten pretty used to it now Just gotta make do with what we've got.

I think a big key to using the stealth suits when fighting marines is to bait their charges through difficult terrain (as I started to mention above). Since we can jump, sure we might lose a suit, but we're moving the full 12, I'd like to see a marine do that with much success (sure they will make it every once in a while, but they can't make it every time). I could go for some better guns though...

I may have missed something or gotten the details on something wrong in the guy's list, I was working from memory and I'm not all that familiar with the Black Templar codex... he might have been playing an illegal list (which didn't really matter either way) or more likely I left out a troop choice hidden somewhere I didn't see or thought something was something else.

[hr]

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it, I'll invite a friend over tomorrow for a game, if I have time and I'll take lots of pictures for everyone!