Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolves vs. Tyranids (1850, 4/23) in "The Incredible Rolf!"
Old 24 Apr 2010, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Space Wolves vs. Tyranids (1850, 4/23) in "The Incredible Rolf!"

Space Wolves vs. Tyranids (1850, 4/23) in "The Incredible Rolf!"

Hi All,
Yes, I'm resurfaced again, if only that I had a great, great, great (yes, that's three greats) game that won't leave me alone until it gets written up. It's my Proxy (but quickly becoming less so) Space Wolves vs Tyranids. Now this is my experimental fluffy list vs a Vet with a hardcore Tournament list!
Who will prevail? Will it be one-sided? Will there be lots of chitin and power armor left scattered on the field?
Read on!

Best,
-BT

P.S. As usual, C&C is greatly appreciated.

SW List 1850pts "Initiation Run!": 46 Infantry, 3 Vehicles, 14 KPs
Rolf "Dogboy" Blacktooth: Wolf Lord w/ TW mount, PF, SS, Runic Armor, Wolf Talisman
Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith: Rune Priest w/ "Peckers" Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, JotWW
Wolf Priest Knut Greybeard, Wolf Talisman, Melta Bombs
Lady Agatha Brimstone: Inquisitor w/ Targeter, Psycannon, Hood, Heirophantx2, Mysticsx2
Grey Huntersx5 w/ Melta, PF/CM WGuard in Rhino
Grey Huntersx5 w/ Melta, PF/CM WGuard in Razorback w/ Las/Plas
Blood Clawsx12 w/ Melta, PF, PF/CM Wolf Guard
TWCx3 w/ TH, SS
Long Fangsx5 w/MLx4
Long Fangsx5 w/MLx4
Land Raider Crusader, Multi-Melta

Tyranid 1850pt List: 61 Infantry, 12KPs
Tyranid Prime w/Twin Boneswords
Tyranid Prime w/Twin Boneswords
Hive Guardx3
Hive Guardx3
Zoanthropesx3
Tervigon w/Catalyst
Termaguantsx10
Genestealersx5
Genestealersx5
Hormagauntsx27, Adrenal Glands, Poison
Trygon Prime w/Regeneration
Tyrannofex w/ Rupture Cannon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rolf Blacktooth glanced up at the massive carved out skull of the Tyranid Swarmlord. He couldn't help but smile. It had been an incredible couple of months since the Space Wolves had fought the Tyranids and driven them off of Auric IV. The Imperium had been grateful, but rather surprised when the entire planet suddenly vanished in a crackle of Warp energy.
Still, the Space Wolves had made sure that all of the population and equipment that could be removed from the planet, was removed and within days, the thankful citizens had found a new home. Rolf smiled. He had Agatha to thank for that one. She had pulled strings with the Imperium in a way that Rolf thought was impossible, somehow making the plodding bureaucracy fly through red tape and actually help people.

Rolf nodded as he glanced at the plaque underneath the skull.

"In Memorium for the Battles of Auric IV. Presented to Wolf Lord Rolf Blacktooth."

Rolf still couldn't believe it. Wolf. Lord. Him. Even though he tried to explain things to the other Space Wolves, there was no way around it. Even Logan Grimnar, the Old Wolf himself, had sent Rolf an accommodation, and had declared Rolf a force for the alliance between the Inquisition and the Space Wolves. It always seemed to Rolf that the statement had more than a bit of sarcasm to it, but no matter what, he was in charge. And what a difference it was...

Months of training had gone by as Wolf Priest Knut Greybeard and his horde of Blood Claws had arrived. The energetic, uncontrollable youngsters had run rampant throughout the ship, and Rolf had to admit that it was, in some way, nostalgic to watch their games, tricks, and stunts. Then again, he had to admit, it was a long time ago, and it was Knut Greybeard that had instructed Rolf in tactics and training that pushed him to the limit. But he had survived it, and was stronger. Much stronger indeed.

Still, he nodded, all of that paled in comparison to what Agatha had done. In a rare moment of emotion, the Inquisitor had kissed his cheek during the coronation process. Rolf had almost lost his balance at that point and earned chuckles from the crowd. Rolf nodded to himself again. It was a good sign of things to come... he hoped. Now just what to do with the new kids before they wrecked his Battle Barge...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tabitha Hargrove whimpered a bit, sipping her tea. As a Heirophant and member of the Ecclesiarchy, she had been brought up in a rather stringent environment. She had to admit that probably half of her job promotion was due to her father, the famed Inquisitor Nathanial Hargrove. Tabitha had always wanted to see what was out beyond the cushy and regimented society, but this was not what she was expecting. Assigned to the legendary Lady Agatha Brimstone was an amazing achievement, and Tabitha had done a little dance when she had found out her good fortune. However, the ride to meet her new superior was less than ideal.

A group of Space Marines were passing by and had picked her up. Tabitha shuddered at the memory. They were Space Marines! Supposed to be stoic, white (or blue rather) knights that fought for justice, peace and the Emperor! Instead, she had been stuffed into a cargo hold full of juvenile delinquents who took delight at scaring her and stealing her undergarments.
When she arrived on the ship, she was hoping that things would be better, but the young Marines were practically bouncing off the walls. Worse yet, the older Marines just didn't seem to care when she reported the mass mooning that occurred on her bedroom window at breakfast time, and refused to investigate the lewd drawings left on her door.
She didn't want to bother Lady Brimstone about it, but surely something had to be done! Yes, she nodded... As long as she wasn't the one who had to do anything...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agatha Brimstone frowned, looking down at her datascroll. The Tyranids had all but fallen back out of the sector after her... "adjustment" to the Swarmlord, but now the Hivefleets had stopped and were encircling nearby planets, ripping the life out of them. They had to be stopped, and the Inquisition had requested her aid. Agatha nodded. It had to be done, although it was more luck than anything last time. She only hoped that they would be so lucky again...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Man, oh, man was this the wrong list to try out today. My usual sparring partner was already taken for a game, but I really wanted to try out my "fun list." One of the vets in our league challenged me to try out his tournament list and well, it was going to be a doozy. We had joked that his list was a "Comp 3" and mine was probably at worst "Comp 9." I was sure I was going to get rocked...

Mission: Annihilation (I... I don't know what to say to this one)
Setup: Pitched Battle (Oh boy)
Terrain: Ruins

Setup: Terrain is fairly well clustered in the center on one side, but a but more spread out on the other.

The Wolves win the roll to go first and castle up in the center on the more heavy terrain side. Agatha and the Long Fangs take to the parapets, while the Land Raider with its deadly cargo of Wolf Priest and Blood Claws stayed in the center. Rolf and his Thunderwolves went to the right. Harry and his Rhino stayed behind the Land Raider. The Razorback goes behind some cover to the left.

Picture Caption: Look, a Land Raider! (Yes, it's actually mine!) Apologies for the blurrys, that's what happens when you let a Blood Claw take the picture...

The Nids deploy in a rather interesting fashion, mostly in the center. To the right patch of cover, the horde of Hormagaunts decide to populate the area with a Tyranid Prime. The Tervigon went behind it, and the Termagaunts went behind the Tervigon. The Tyrannofex stood around next to the Tervigon, daring me to shoot at it. The Zoanthropes and Hive Guard all went to the left with the other Tyranid Prime joined up to the Zoanthropes. The Genestealers went into reserve to outflank and the Trygon went into reserves to deep strike.

Picture Caption: This beautifully painted army is going to kick my nuts in!

Picture Caption: Man that is a LOT of guants. Wow. If that gets FNP I'm in trouble!

The Nids fail to steal the initiative and the game is on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sure gets to ya, doesn't it lad?"

Rolf glanced over at "Mad Harry" Runesmith, the hirsuite and rather odiferous Rune Priest of the Company, and his good friend. They were walking through strange, alien vegetation that had pierced through buildings, and the burned out rubble that was once a thriving city. The Tyrnids had come, and they had left nothing in their path.
Still, Agatha had said that something was still here, something significant.

Rolf looked around. It was hard to imagine that anything was left here.
He then paused as he heard screeching sounds and saw his new, enormous and now not-so pristine Land Raider careening through the streets. He sighed. The Blood Claws were getting driving lessons. At least something was getting done. Now all he would have to do is...

A cold trickle ran down his spine and he looked over at Harry who nodded. The Space Wolves scanned the ruins and their enhanced senses could make out a rustling of chitin and inhuman clicking sounds.

"Sounds like we woke 'em up Lad," Harry muttered.

Rolf nodded, "Then it's up to us put them back to sleep."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1: SW
Calamity hits and it hits fast and hard to the face!

The Land Raider tries to roll a bit forward and... breaks an axle, immobilizing itself in the patch of cover in front of it...

And then, to make matters worse, the Razorback tried to shift backwards and... yes, immobilized itself too! :initiate double facepalm:

Rolf runs back to in front of the Land Raider.

Well, that's not a good way to start.

Agatha, Harry and the Long Fangs did a good job making up for it, as the shot they heck out of the Hormagaunts, knocking them down below twenty to a much more manageable level. The Razorback tried to harm the Zoantropes, but to no avail...

Picture Caption: Sonova... what are the chances? A: 1 in 36...

Turn 1: Nids
Well, the Nids push forward with the Hormagaunt horde. The Tervigon manages to outfox Agatha and pops Feel No Pain on the horde. Everyone pushes forwards as well.
Shooting is very lukewarm, mostly thanks to Agatha, who shuts down two of the Zoanthropes. The Hive Guard fire into the left patch of Long Fangs, downing the Squad Leader. And the Tyrannofex fires at the Thunderwolves! But misses completely... (whew).

Picture Caption: Hey... that wasn't... so bad...

Turn 2: SW
Well, Harry tries to move forward to push up the left flank and tries to go over a patch of cover and... immobilized! Yes, immobilized! (At this point, I think the Blood Claws had stolen all of the good axle parts for bongs or something. Either that or someone let them drive and attempt popping wheelies. Yes, with a Tank.)

Rolf moves up, struggling through cover, getting ready to try and setup a charge on the Hormagaunts...

Well, at least we can shoot.
Shooting is pretty decent as Agatha downs a few more Guants, the Long Fangs take three wounds off the Tervigon, and wound a Zoanthrope and the attached Tyranid Prime (ah, so THAT'S what he's for!)
The Land Raider tries to harm the Hormaguants as well, but only takes down a few...

And Rolf runs forward... ONE inch (sob). His resulting charge fails... by ONE inch.

Picture Caption: A self-immobilization (odds now 1:216) and a failed charge... Yeah, that says it all.

Turn 2: Nids
The Nids seem to enjoy this good fortune, and one genestealer unit pops up to the right, moving and running through cover.
Everyone moves forward, the Tyranid Prime edging away from the Hormagaunts and attach to the smaller Termagaunts.

The Tervigon tries to give FNP again, but this time Agatha shuts him down!
Two of the Zoanthropes manage to get through Agatha's defenses, and fire onto the Long Fangs doing a bevy of wounds, but the hardy Wolves dive for cover and none are harmed!
The Hive Guard try to take down Agatha, but between mediocre rolling and awesome cover saves, they only manage to take down one of the Heirophants.
The other Hive Guard Squad fires into the Long Fangs again, but fail to do anything.
The Tyrannofex fires at the Wolves, but it glances off one of the Storm Shields.

The Hormagaunts then assault in, taking down one Thunderwolf and wounding both of the others. The Thunderwolves and Rolf give back a really sad four wounds (yes, this is AFTER counter-charge), and everyone stays locked in...

Picture Caption: Yeah, we're getting pwned right now...

KPs:
SW: 0
Nids: 0
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Wolves vs. Tyranids (1850, 4/23) in "The Incredible Rolf!"

Turn 3: SW
Rolf needs help. Rousing up his Blood Claws, Wolf Priest Knut Greybeard slams open the Land Raider's hatch and moves out. The Blood Claws get a great move through cover and are facing the Hormagautns up close and personal.

Shooting is right deadly this time, as Agatha spots the incoming Genestealers and puts a Psycannon shot in the heads of two of them. The Long Fangs down the Tervigon in a flurry of missiles! The nearby Termagaunt squad loses about half of it's members to the psychic shockwave, but stay intact otherwise.

The Land Raider then opens up on the Zoanthrope and wounds the Tyrant Prime and a Zoe! (wow, that's... unexpected!)

Harry, unfortunately fails his psychic test... yes, without Shadow interference... (sigh)
Assault is, as you would expect it, as the Hormagaunts manage to take down the last two Thunderwolves, but Knut's Blood Claws in a totally amateurish, but balls-out enthusiastic, manner give out a whopping 30-odd wounds! The Hormagaunts fall apart like butter. (I think I saw one of the Blood Claws teabagging one of the fallen Gaunts, but it was hard to say... )
The Blood Claws get a nice consolidate and fall back to the Land Raider.
Rolf then heads out to the left to try and deal with the Zoanthropes.

Picture Caption: Blood Claws... wow. Just... wow. Lil' Wolvy blenders!

Turn 3: Nids
One of the Genestealers pops in, still on the right. Realizing the utter killy-ness that is the Blood Fangs, they both decide to hide in the far corner of the board for the rest of the game
Now all of the Tyranids fall BACK! The Zoanthropes and Tyranid Prime fall out in front of the Hive Guard.
The Termagaunts run into cover, back near the center of the board.

Shooting is not too surprising, as the Tyrannofex pops the Razorback.
The Zoanthropes power up their psychic badness. Agatha shuts one down (go Ags!), the other one fires at Rolf and... is deflected by his lucky Wolf Talisman! (woot!)
The Hive Guard fire into the Long Fangs again. The Long Fangs lose two of the members, but stay firm.

Harry PERILS this time with a double six... (what are the chances, I say!)

Picture Caption: Agatha says. Sit. Stay. Good Zoes.

KPs:
SW: 2
Nids: 2

Turn 4: SW
Now it's time to get personal!
Rolf runs forwards towards the Zoanthropes.
Using the skills that come from centuries of dealing with Blood Claws, Knut Greybeard grumbles to himself about an open keg in the Land Raider. The Blood Claws race past him and back inside the tank.

Shooting is pretty dead on, again, as all of the Termagaunts go down from Harry and the Long Fangs, and Agatha (with some help from the Land Raider) dismantles a Zoanthrope and puts another wound on the Tyranid Prime! (The Tyranid player was a bit aghast when he realized that Agatha's Psycannon ignores invul saves!)

Rolf assaults in and the Tyranid Prime shoots up to assault him. It hits, wounds once and... Rolf deflects it off his shield! (whew!) Rolf then goes to pound the Tyranid Prime flat with his Fist.

Picture Caption: More Nids are a fallin'!

Turn 4: Nids
The Nids realize they are in trouble now, but the Trygon has FINALLY arrived.
It deeps strikes a bit off target, landing to the far left and clearly out of Agatha's Mystic Area of Doom.
The Hive Guard and Tyrant Prime move towards each other, but are a far cry short of joining up... Leaving the wounded Tyrant Prime out in the open!

The Hive Guard realize they have to get KPs NOW, and fire into the Long Fangs, downing them all. They also fire at Agatha and hit the squad 6 times (yikes!). Agatha fails her single wound...

As if some kind of great force hit the table, Rolf sees Agatha fall and just... cracks!
Roaring some kind of feral cry, he smashes the Zoanthropes apart, hitting and wounding with ALL of his attacks!
Oh, and scrounging up KPs, the Tyrannofex manages to blow up Harry's Rhino.

Picture Caption: You shouldn't have done that... You wouldn't like me when I'm angry, Mr. Tyranid, you would like that at all...

KPs:
SW: 5
Nids: 6

Turn 5: SW
Rolf continues his Rampage, moving next to the Hive Guard.
The Long Fangs fire and eliminate the Tyranid Prime in a flurry of missiles.
Harry and the Grey Hunters all run to behind the Land Raider.
Rolf Assaults in and wipes out two of the Hive Guard! (wow!) He then runs them down as they're out of synapse!

Picture Caption: Wow, I think I just took the lead!

Turn 5: Nids
Wow, it's down to the wire now. The Hive Guard fire and down two Long Fangs, who make their morale check. The Tyrannofex tries to crack the Land Raider, but only manages to glance and shake it.
Now to the main event! If the Trygon can take Rolf, the game will be tied!
The Trygon fleets in, hits Rolf for a cataclysmic number of wounds, but Rolf deflects them all!
Rolf then hits him back, wounding him three times! The Trygon takes another wound from fearless, and is suddenly wondering what the heck just happened!

Picture Caption: Trygon plus overconfidence hits the brick wall of Storm Shield and balls-out Rolf! (I can't believe I just said that!)

KPs:
SW: 7
Nids: 6

Dice=2, game ends!

Result: Space Wolf (and Inquisitorial) Victory!!

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, if any game made me feel like I had to work for it, it would be this game. A narrow victory and a game that went back and forth A LOT in terms of luck. I can't believe I immobilized ALL of my vehicles (roll eyes), but I was just amazed how much damage the Wolves could give out. Have to give it up for the Blood Claws, who went over the top with Knut's help, the Long Fangs for dead on killy-power against all of the Nids, and the Land Raider for it's sheer whittling-down ability. But MVPs have to go to Agatha for shutting down so much and getting her killy on with the Psycannon, and especially Rolf who went completely bonkers on this one, just eliminating everything he touched! Someone definitely found his groove in this battle!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolf wasn't sure what was going on. The only thing he knew was that someone had hurt Agatha. He had taken them apart, but it wasn't enough, as something was fighting him. It didn't matter. They all had to pay for what they had...

"Lad? Lad are you there?"

Rolf's brain kicked back in, as he recognized Harry's voice.
"Agatha's..."

The comm cut out suddenly as the huge Tyranid he was dueling shrieked and pulled away from him. Rolf turned to see it suddenly run off with the other massive creature. He considered chasing it for a moment, but thought better of it. Turning his Thunderwolf around, he headed back to the remains of his party.

Agatha Brimstone peered over at Rolf who almost fell off his running Thunderwolf, bounding past the Space Wolves protectively encircling her. She sighed. It was barely a flesh wound. She had taken far worse... for far worse reasons...
"Mr. Rolf, Mr. Rolf... Please, there's no need to..."

Agatha tried to ward off the huge Space Wolf, but to no avail. Suddenly, Rolf was a fountain of orders, barking at Harry, Knut and the others to bind Agatha and make ready for transit off the area. The leaders of the Swarm had been broken for the moment, but Rolf's attentions were clearly centered elsewhere.

Agatha stole a glance at the Blood Claws around her, who, surprisingly, were no longer mocking their leader, but instead were jockeying up to see who could do the best imitation of the rampage that Rolf put out. The Inquisitor smiled a bit, as the usual inflation aspect of the youngsters hit Rolf's deeds, and soon Rolf had apparently saved her from a tide of Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants. Still, she had to admit to herself, it was remarkable that Rolf had changed so much. Perhaps he was finally showing signs of becoming something... mature.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 12:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

All immobilised in the first couple of turns. :sadnshocked: Bet you wish you'd not put them all in cover right away eh?

Sounds like Rolf really did well there, I guess being upped to a Wolf Lord really helped him. And those Blood Claws, wow. Just wow.

So, did the change to Agatha's henchmen help? I noticed a change. (I think there was a servo skull in there before).

Anyway, sounds like a great come-back towards the end there. Anything you would have done differently? anything you plan to keep in your army from now on?

Keep up the good work, I hope to see you back to regular reports asap.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 13:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
All immobilised in the first couple of turns. :sadnshocked: Bet you wish you'd not put them all in cover right away eh?

Sounds like Rolf really did well there, I guess being upped to a Wolf Lord really helped him. And those Blood Claws, wow. Just wow.

So, did the change to Agatha's henchmen help? I noticed a change. (I think there was a servo skull in there before).

Anyway, sounds like a great come-back towards the end there. Anything you would have done differently? anything you plan to keep in your army from now on?

Keep up the good work, I hope to see you back to regular reports asap.
Hi Cammerz!
Thanks for the reply.
Didn't see any replies for a while and thought that maybe I had posted in the wrong place
In any case, yes, the self-immobilizations were insane.
Again, being a primary Ork player, I'm used to re-rolling dangerous terrain tests, and didn't give things like oh... cover a thought. But three in a row? Now that's just silly.
Rolf did amazingly well in the last few turns of the game. Still don't know why, but I guess it was when Agatha went down.
And those Blood Claws... I guess they really wanted to show their stuff, as I was re-rolling due to the Rune Priest and I had 40-odd HITS. Not attacks, HITS. Which came out to more than 30 WOUNDS. Crazy? Yes. And probably the turning point for the game.
I kind of wonder if I should have pressed the attack? I kept them back to keep the stealers away, but maybe I should have gone Nid hunting. It might have kept Agatha going, but maybe not... Any ideas?
I dropped Sage for the Heirophants, just because I made her an Elite Inquisitor instead of an HQ, so I can still Psychic Hood decently. Ags is really needed to shut down all of that Tyranid nonsense.
The comeback was amazing, and my opponent was just shaking his head at my dice. (Both before when I immobilized myself and later when Rolf just didn't miss).
I'm going to keep the Blood Claws and Wolf Priest with their ride for at least one more game. I just got the Land Raider, and I'm having fun with the big 14 block. Never had it before, and it's actually quite comforting. As long as it doesn't get immobilized in any case...
I would have played a LOT more aggressively if ONE of my transports had remained mobile, but as it was, I was hard pressed to catch anything. I often wonder though, if I should have sent the Blood Claws out to hunt the Tyrannofex or the shooty Bugs, but they did have range on me and could just pepper me while pulling/running back, denying the KPs. Though it would have made for a tighter game, as he probably wouldn't have been able to snipe out Agatha...
In any case, if you have suggestions, let me know!

Best,
-BT
Old 24 Apr 2010, 14:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry for the additional post, but I wanted to put a general question to everyone reading:
I'm not a Space Marine player, first of all, and still, I'm not sure when to advance up with my troops.
In annihilation especially, it doesn't seem worth it, but in this game, maybe I should have?
Also, was my list tougher than I thought?
It seemed that my opponent's Nid list was pretty tough-as-nuts, but it seemed to struggle against Rolf and his crew even given my mistakes and well... really sad luck...
Trying to get opinions for next time
Thanks!
-BT
Old 24 Apr 2010, 14:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers

thoughroughly enjoyed your report. I'm not a SM player but I do have Tyranids. (sadly have not yet used them in battle)

I would say that it was a very shooty 'nid army and it was probably wise using the cover, although bad luck with the vehicles being immobilised. The middle ground was very open terrain so realy you both had two options, to hold back and shoot like crazy or risk running the open area and taking shots. The 'nids had advantage of some units having fleet but luck determines how effective that would truly be.

Me perosnaly would play the opposite of that army as I use full CC and a few heavy weapons and zoans to shoot, or i plan to at least.

I think that the best way you could learn to use your army is to play more, having a little more cover in the center. This will make you think a little more and may force you to play differently as the hoarde could advance without being seen so much. But it could work for you if you use the terrain differently also. The saying goes 'Practice Makes Perfect'. I would like to give my opponent what advantages he can, simply so I can learn to beat them still.
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 14:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Bonkers
thoughroughly enjoyed your report. I'm not a SM player but I do have Tyranids. (sadly have not yet used them in battle)

I would say that it was a very shooty 'nid army and it was probably wise using the cover, although bad luck with the vehicles being immobilised. The middle ground was very open terrain so realy you both had two options, to hold back and shoot like crazy or risk running the open area and taking shots. The 'nids had advantage of some units having fleet but luck determines how effective that would truly be.

Me perosnaly would play the opposite of that army as I use full CC and a few heavy weapons and zoans to shoot, or i plan to at least.

I think that the best way you could learn to use your army is to play more, having a little more cover in the center. This will make you think a little more and may force you to play differently as the hoarde could advance without being seen so much. But it could work for you if you use the terrain differently also. The saying goes 'Practice Makes Perfect'. I would like to give my opponent what advantages he can, simply so I can learn to beat them still.
Thanks for your reply!
I'm glad you liked the report, I have this habit of being long-winded, which people will either like or hate, I can only hope for the former
The immobilizations were just... frustrating, but what can you do?
As for the shooting threats, I really was worried about throwing the Blood Claws out there, given the Zoanthropes and the Hive Guard, but maybe I shouldn't have been as the Hive Guard's guns are only AP4, but still that's 6 scary shots that will slowly whittle you down...
Still slightly kicking myself for not using Agatha's Psycannon earlier against the Zoes, but maybe that would have not been as wise, as my opponent immediately focused all of his firepower in taking her down shortly afterwards, and I wanted to keep her around to fend off the incoming Trygon threat.

Oh yes, the Trygon. That was why I was worried about going out. It could tie up/smash apart the Blood Claws long enough for the Genestealers to get mobilized and force me to loose my center. Or at least, that was my concern...
Maybe should have just let the Grey Hunters hold the fort so to speak while the youngsters went up to smash faces with their plethora of attacks and two meltas and two powerfists?

Best,
-BT
Old 24 Apr 2010, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh Bigtoof, one other thing...

There's this nice little 5 point upgrade called a dozer blade.

Look it up.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Oh Bigtoof, one other thing...

There's this nice little 5 point upgrade called a dozer blade.

Look it up.
Ouch! Felt the burn on that one
In any case, yes, deeply considering it.
One thing is for certain, if I ever, EVER get a Vindicator, a seige shield is going on it SO fast.
And if anyone ever asks me, I will refer to this game and my insane attraction to immobilizations.

Now if only Land Raiders could get something like that!

Best,
-BT

P.S. Nobody else is chiming in, so I guess I didn't do THAT bad for the Wolves. Something always makes me feel like I did a subpar job, so I get rather anxious looking for critiques. But perhaps the whole "no news is good news" is a good sign! -BT
Old 25 Apr 2010, 01:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I very much enjoyed this report, and congrats on a hard-fought win! And maybe you should drive around the terrain next time :P, but that was some astronomically bad luck anyway. Looking forward to the next one!