Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels Vs. Eldar 1500 points- April 18
Old 19 Apr 2010, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Blood Angels Vs. Eldar 1500 points- April 18

I told myself I wouldn't, but I DO have a fully painted Blood Angels army, why not at least TRY the new list out. Kinda grab bagged the army list and went for something unique: It was at 1500.
'Hemo'Angels
HQ
Librarian: Unleash Rage, yep...really basic needed points for later. He was with the Death company in the Rhino
Troops:
10 man Assault squad, 2 flamers, Sarge with a power sword.
5 man Death Company, 2 with power fist, in an extra armor Rhino
1 DC dreadnought, Blood Talons.
Elites:
1 Sanguinary Priest, with jump pack: Flew with the Assault troops.
Fast attack:
4 Man bike squad, 2 had flamers
2X 5 man Vanguard veterans with Jump packs, and 1 power sword.
Heavy:
3 Dreadnoughts, 2 were just Multimelta DCCW, the other was Tl-LC/ML, I was 3 points short, they all got spotlights.
In all, this army had 4 dreads for support, and 2 vanguard vets ready to take on easy targets w/ heroic intervention. The real problem was with objectives, having only one real scoring unit

Eldar Warhost
My buddy just grabbed a few Fire dragons and wanted to get them on the field (I didn't know at all what his army was going to be, and neither did he know mine). His army was

HQ
Farseer, Both runes, Spirit stones, doom, guide, fortune
Elites
10 fire dragons with exarch in a TL-Bl serpent that had Star engines spirit stones.
Troops
5 Pathfinders
2x 10 Guardians with Eldar Missiles
5 Dire Avengers, Exarch with power sword and shimmer shield, Farseer accompanying in the Falcon
Heavy
Falcon, Spirit Stones, Holo field, EML, Shuricannon
Fire Prism Same upgrades as last.
5 Dark reapers with Exarch Double tapping an EML.
Basically, a large infantry anvil with falcon and dragons being a hammer.

Deployment Synopsis: It was Dawn of War deployment with 5 objectives to capture, 1 in the middle (in a river actually), and two on either side. In my deployment, I had one objective in front of a wall, the other side was in front of some ruins, making HOLDING the objectives unsafe until last few turns. The Eldar had one in a forest, the other behind another wall. The middle was slightly closer to me (being the real only good thing about my side of the table I thought). I roll for Red thirst, my bikers, and one multimelta dread get it.

Roll for first went to the Eldar, deploying Falcon with farseer and troops on the right on the objective, and pathfinders on left in the woods Objective. I countered By placing my assault squad on right, and rhino with DC and Libby on left (pathfinders Vs. assault squad isn't a fight I wanted, plus ruins could protect my assault squad from the falcon until re-enforcements arrive). So everything came on, his Guardians running onto the board an claiming two objectives on left and right, reapers taking up position behind the left side objective, menacingly... The fire prism floated on and really wanted to fire, but nightfight gave a range of only 27 inches. The waveserpent raced on the field, blitzing right at my assault team in the woods so much for protection, the falcon moving up, but also suffering from night blindness. The pathfinders took shots at the rhino, to no avail. The Hemos then got their go, I blitzed in my bikes on left to try and get to flamer range on some juicy eldar targets later, moving up the rhino to block any shots on them from the reapers. My Shooty dread walked on right in the middle, and issued a challenge to the Fire Prism, and without waiting for a response shook the tank, preventing later firing. All other dreads walked on right (shot multimeltas at wave serpent, doing nothing), the DC dread taking the lead, ripping through the cover (I would be TERRIFIED), and getting a huge run roll, assaulted the wave serpent, the assault team wanting to ensure a kill did so as well. the assault team stuck 2 kraks on (lucky really) but only shook, the DC Dread landed two penetrates, immobilizing, and therefore wrecking the skimmer, and unleashing the dragons contained therein.

Turn Two Eldar considered its options, and realizing it was an objective game opened up on my assault team with the dragons and Falcon, The farseer tries to guide the falcon but my psychic hood prevents it, but not the doom on the assault squad. The assault squad was obliterated, no FNP mattered against any of that instant death fire that they took. The guardians felt lucky, and for good reason, blew open the rhino with their EML, then the Reapers opened fire on them, killing only two death company inside. the pathfinders took aim at the bikes, and took out one from some poor rolls (4 1s and 2s to hit). The other guardians fired at the DC dread, getting a stunned result, allowing me to declare that "none could stay my wrath" and ignore the result. The fire prism went flat out to avoid further damage. The Hemo Angels were about to close the gap, and could use some intervention, which the vanguard veterans gladly gave, landing next to both guardian squads (left and right side, Descent of Angels is my new favourite rule) and did 7 wounds each oddly enough, took no damage in return and wiped each of the pathetic guardians out. The death company closed the distance on the reapers, and the bikes used their flamers on the pathfinders, I lost a DC in assaulting the Reapers (the Libby tried to unleash rage, but perilled due to Runes of Warding), but the powerfists took out everyone else. Just to recap, that indeed is everything on the left side gone. The right side saw my DC dread infuriated charging the Fire Dragons with his Blood talons, utterly destroying them, before continuing toward the Falcon. The two other dreanoughts fired at the falcon, but thanks to the holofields, only shook (I would be shaking anyway after seeing the DC Dread wreck the waveserpent , dragons, and now coming for me!). The shooty dread missed with the TL-LC, somehow, but the penetrating missile struck the fire prism and shook it again! (no flat out protection here!).

Turn 3 Eldar, They just suffered TERRIBLE losses, and all seemed doomed, but the Dire avengers wanted one last hurrah, leapt out of the falcon, receiving fortune but not doom on the vanguards, and having to use fleet to reach them, but assault them they did! The vanguards, had little care for other eldar infantry and struck from their cover with arrogant blows, doing little damage and only taking down one avenger, but vengeance was swift, the exarch killing two, farseer killing another; The veterans morale was strained, but refused to fall to such weak beings. The DC dread was rammed by the Falcon after being shot by its Pulse Laser, all of which seemed to only infuriate. the Fire Prism against keeping its speed at full swept in position to finally destroy the dreadnought once weapons were back online. The Ordo Hemos. Now bathing in blood were sensing victory, the entire left side charged with speed right to quash any resistance. The Shooty Dread finally lined up a good shot on the Prism and let loose, missing with the TL-LC, and missile (3 1's, well total 5 in a row now), the pair of melta dread noughts finally ending its brief dance about the battlefield. The DC dread assaulted and annihilated the Falcon, no doubt believing himself to be indestructible now, continued forward to the farseer and Dire avengers.

The Eldar sensed doom all around, sighting a downed falcon, fire prism, and waveserpent, all the while fighting on the shatter remains of their stalwart guardians; but were determined to make the marines pay for the blood they spilled. The avengers fought back, with the farseer killing one more marine, leaving only one left with his power weapon. In disbelif that these few eldar has killed all his brothers he struck out against the squad, but some the Exarch's protection was strong, no eldar fell. Still the lone marine was too fargone, and remained to fight. The the now dark red DC dread bounded forward, crashing through the ruined wall nearest to him finding the beleaguered veteran fending off many eldar, and set to work furiously sweeping away the Aspects with his terrible talons, none remained. the battlefield was silent for a moment before the DC dread continued his deliriously berserk charge forward against unseen opponents which the librarian took a small memorial for the brothers lost, and thanks for the victory

PostGame: Wow, that DC Dread is really quite a machine. I am certain the dragons could have bested it but its really up to the gametype, in this case he went after the troops, not sure if it was the right choice. But The DCD destroyed everything it touched, and really is not that expensive. The Death company felt a lot of pain this game, I guess they got the reapers, so alright. vanguard veterans unsurprisingly smashed the guardians, but I didn't really kit them out that hard, I may in the future. The Librarian basically stopped a doom/or guide a turn, over 4 turns, its almost 100, but couldn't really use his powers at all. Bikes and dreadnought did well, but due to the duality of this board (river acted as a divide) they acted alone and couldn't synergize well if bikes needed a vehicle dead or dreads had troops to fry.

My eldar friend commented that chargin the dragons forward was unwise in retrospect, almost too eager to use them! Staying back using the Brightlance on the WS, and waiting to pop the first squad that came close while protecting the guardians might have done well, especially with Falcon support. The left side though, everything was done that he could do, aside from some unlucky shots. I mean even IF they did do well he would have lost everything.

Overall this unconventional list did quite well. In the future I think I'll take away a dread and add another assault squad, or add a chaplain. I also think the Shooty dread could be replaced, for again an chaplain, or maybe upgrade the vanguard veterans so that they COULD kill MeQ efficiently. Not sure if a librarian is the best HQ for this army either.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blood Angels Vs. Eldar - April 18

Nice job on your part making up for not having (m)any Troops. Can't say I play an army much at all like your friend's (Guardian Defenders? :P) but he put up a good show for the first, and maybe second, turn. I could see a few things in the list that weren't going to help him (170pt Wave Serpent for one :-X).

You did an excellent job explaining the action though, I got what was going on quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
The right side saw my DC dread infuriated charging the Fire Dragons with his Blood talons, utterly destroying them, before continuing toward the Falcon.
Just one thing: urm, Fire Dragons have Initiative 5 (Exarch has Initiative 6) and melta bombs. I think it's highly unlikely that they'd've just perished without doing anything to the Dread.

Did your friend forget that they had melta-bombs or did they just completely wiff the 10 attacks they had? I admit those nasty Blood Talons would've worked the squad over unless the Exarch hit and killed it before it attacked... and since it got the charge it would strike at the same Initiative as the 9 normal Dragons but even then there'd be the 9 melta bombs (~2 hits?) to survive regardless of the whole squad dying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 06:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blood Angels Vs. Eldar 1500 points- April 18

Nice report and good job defeating the Eldar player, though I give props to him for finishing the game. That new dread sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to rip one apart with a power claw.

We-Tain was right though, the report was easy to follow and well written, so here's a cookie: :cookie: Keep up the good work.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Tain
Nice job on your part making up for not having (m)any Troops. Can't say I play an army much at all like your friend's (Guardian Defenders? :P) but he put up a good show for the first, and maybe second, turn. I could see a few things in the list that weren't going to help him (170pt Wave Serpent for one :-X).

You did an excellent job explaining the action though, I got what was going on quite well.

Quote:
The right side saw my DC dread infuriated charging the Fire Dragons with his Blood talons, utterly destroying them, before continuing toward the Falcon.
Just one thing: urm, Fire Dragons have Initiative 5 (Exarch has Initiative 6) and melta bombs. I think it's highly unlikely that they'd've just perished without doing anything to the Dread.

Did your friend forget that they had melta-bombs or did they just completely wiff the 10 attacks they had? I admit those nasty Blood Talons would've worked the squad over unless the Exarch hit and killed it before it attacked... and since it got the charge it would strike at the same Initiative as the 9 normal Dragons but even then there'd be the 9 melta bombs (~2 hits?) to survive regardless of the whole squad dying...
Thanks, glad to share the report.

Waveserpent etc: Yea, I try and play a more basic armylist, opting for as bare as possible specialization when I use my Eldar. I do like theinclusion of a brightlance in my army, but can't really rationalize putting it on anything but a wave serpent (guardians are cross eyed, maybe a falcon, MAYBE on a warwalker with a few buddies with him.

Dragons: Oh man, he did forget, and I forgot too! That would have certainly changed the outcome of the game. I'll be sure to inform him of that. They would have been quite hard to eradicate, as my dreadnoughts do NOT want to go in CC, and were not prepared to kill that many dragons.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I do like theinclusion of a brightlance in my army, but can't really rationalize putting it on anything but a wave serpent (guardians are cross eyed, maybe a falcon, MAYBE on a warwalker with a few buddies with him.
I'm most fond of the Wave Serpent mounted Bright Lance (Twin linked is a god-send for any of my tank hunting attempts ) but my major problem with the Wave Serpent your friend brought was that it had TL Bright Lances and Star Engines. Not what I'd do. If I bring a Serpent with Star Engines it's only got a TL Shuriken Cannon.

Quote:
Dragons: Oh man, he did forget, and I forgot too! That would have certainly changed the outcome of the game. I'll be sure to inform him of that. They would have been quite hard to eradicate, as my dreadnoughts do NOT want to go in CC, and were not prepared to kill that many dragons.
I didn't really expect you to remember (although you do play Eldar ) and since he only just got them I figured it was likely he forgot they had them. I bothered to mention it because of his declaration that "Fire Dragons might not have been the best choice" which isn't at all what I'd think against Blood Angels with lots of Dreads :funny:.
The Codex is tricky about it though: on the Fire Dragons page it's only mentioned they have them in the fluff section at the top of the page and the only other place is in the Elites section in the back with the specifics.
[hr]

Although, Assault isn't necessarily suicide for a Dread against Dragons. They'll only get a bit more than 1 Penetrating hit on average, and if you survive or strike at equal initiative (DC Dread on the charge >.&gt there's good chance of doing some serious damage (Blood Talons <.&lt.

On top of that; if you're in Assault range, they'll be in Melta Range next turn. Charging them, killing a few, and getting hit twice (definitely pen'd once, but likely twice) is preferable to getting slagged without the chance at causing any casualties... and a Dread in that situation is pretty much screwed unless they've got an Assault Cannon and good luck or you've got Vanguards handy for a Heroic Intervention of "Big Damn Heroes" proportions.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 20 Apr 2010, 20:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I did have veterans on hand I suppose they could have assaulted the dragons, I mean that area of the board was congested (dreads, dragons, falcon, many mishaps!). I guess I would have bit the bullet, assault the dragons till they run out of bombs (or rush with al the dreads at once :/).
Old 21 Apr 2010, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I guess I would have bit the bullet, assault the dragons till they run out of bombs
Dragons can't use Melta Bombs on anything but vehicles and they have an unlimited amount. I'm not sure what the "run out of bombs" thing is about, that's why I said this .
[hr]
Other than that, sure it may have saved your DC Dread, but you'd run into the same problem as he did: go for Troops or take out the uber unit and risk being unable to take out the Troops...

It's entirely possible that the Dragons killing the DC Dread could've affected the outcome of the battle now that I look at it. Lots of things are possible though...
Quote:
Quote: