Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels vs Space Marines 1500 April 8/10
Old 09 Apr 2010, 04:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Blood Angels vs Space Marines 1500 April 8/10

So, I finally managed to get my new Blood Angels onto the table. It was a great learning experience and I'm definitely enjoying the new codex a lot. Not going to bore you this time with a whole bunch of rambling, so onto the report.

Army Lists

Blood Angels
Librarian, Jump Pack (The Blood Lance, The Sanguine Sword)
2x Sanguinary Priests, 2x Jump Packs, 2x Power Weapons
10x Assault Marines, 2x Meltaguns, Powerfist, Meltabombs
10x Assault Marines, 2x Meltaguns, Powerfist
5x Sanguinary Guard, 2x Infernus Pistols, Chapter Banner

Space Marines
Chaplain, Terminator Armour
5 TH/SS Assault Termies
Ironclad, Heavy Flamer
Ironclad, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Beacon
10x Tactical Marines, Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Powerfist, Rhino
10x Tactical Marines, Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Powerfist, Razorback (twin-linked Heavy Bolters)
Vindicator
Vindicator
Thunderfire Cannon

The Game

Setup And Deployment
The table was fairly simple, with a building in each quarter and one slightly above centre. A few random craters were spread about. It looks a lot more sparse in Vassal than it did on the table for some reason, haha. There was a fair bit of terrain and we were both very comfortable with it. We rolled for mission and got annihilation with pitched battle. He won the dice off and handed me first turn. Despite this, I still decided to place my entire army in reserve and deep strike. The librarian was in one squad of RAS, the priests in one each as well. He deployed his army in the corner with one of his drop pod iron clad in its pod. The razorback squad combat squadded, the multi-melta portion in the ruins that the techmarine bolstered. I rolled for red thirst and failed to get any 1's (something that would also happen in my next two games :P ). I'd normally post an image for what the table looked like, but nothing really happened in the first turn, haha. So, without further ado...

Turn 1

Blood Angels

They're all busy playing Contra.

Space Marines

The dread comes down above the middle ruin. His army fidgets about slightly. Here's what the board looks like:

Turn 2

Blood Angels

Some of the angels decide to put down their controllers. An overall meh set of reserve rolls mean the libby and his squad are coming down, the RAS squad without a priest, and the sanguinary guard (no priests make me a sad blood drop). I choose to combat squad both of the RAS squads (both split into 2x meltaguns in one and powerfist in the other; libby joins the powerfist group). I make my deep strikes and... only the sanguinary guard scatter! Four direct hits, whoulda thunk it? The meltagun combat squads land right above and below his two ironclads, one powerfist group behind both. The libby chills in the northern powerfist group. The sanguinary guard (white assault marines), not having anywhere particularly great to land, decide to drop behind the building in the centre of the table and end up scattering 4" to the bottom right (oh noes!). In the shooting phase, the northern meltagun squad fires at the ironclad nearest them and blows it up, leaving a massive crater! The southern meltagun squad fires at their ironclad, finding only a single melta within 6". By some miracle, that one manages to hit and penetrates, leaving the ironclad immobilized. The powerfist squads and the sanguinary guard all run into "Don't Template Me" formation and slightly forwards. Overall about what I was hoping for with what dropped. It would've been nice to have been able to pop both ironclads or to get the blood lance off, but there were no real good drops for my libby and I wasn't going to have him scatter even with only a d6).

(please note: I forgot to asplode the ironclad in vassal, so please enjoy my awesome MS Paint X)

Space Marines

So many guns... so very many guns. His rhino tac squad moves up and disembarks, his termies move up, and his razorback and vindicators finangle about. The ironclad kicks dust up in the back of the playground. His front vindicator unloads on my northern meltagun squad and scatters only 1", killing four of them. His rear vindie fires at my other meltagun squad and kills two (horrendous cover saves, lol). His drop pod plinks away at my last northern meltagunner and he bites it. The ironclad, thunderfire cannon, and finally the 5-man tac squad all fire at my other meltagun squad and just barely manage to take them out. His southern tac squad, combined with the chaplain's storm bolter (yup!) take out my powerfist squad kicking about over there. Overall, I lost a few more guys than I would have liked, but I'm not out of it yet. I do wish I had feel no pain there, plenty of guys it would have saved.

Turn 3

Blood Angels

One of the squads with a priest decide to come down, but the last squad still refuses to come in (darn you, 30 life code, sucking their souls!). I decide not to combat squad and drop them a safe distance south-east of his 10-man tac squad. They don't scatter (jeez! again!). My libby hops over to the west between the two buildings and my sanguinary guard hop over to the left. In the shooting phase, my librarian fires the blood lance off northwards, rolling a 19 for distance and hitting the ironclad, razorback, and one of the vindicators (I know it doesn't look like a possibility in the picture, but it worked in the actual game; I screwed up slightly in Vassal :P ). He fails to do anything to the ironclad, but pens both the razorback and vindicator. The SM player rolls cover for the vindie and gets it (darn!). However, the razorback explodes in a shower of awesome which kills one of the embarked marines. My 10-man RAS and SG both get great run rolls and set themselves up for the next turn.

Space Marines

The marine player takes a moment to think about this turn before proceeding. My army's far too close now to fire his vindicators willy-nilly, so he takes a minute before moving anything. The rear vindicator slides to the left while the front vindicator just swivels clockwise slightly. His termies move up, getting a great move through cover and end up right at the edge of the building (uh-oh...). In his shooting phase, he fires the northern vindicator towards the corner of my 10-man RAS. He knocks two out, but I pass the rest of my cover saves (only a slighty scatter to the left). His thunderfire cannon and smaller tac squads unload on my libby's squad but only manage to down a single marine (woo! FNP!). His big tac squad unloads on my big RAS and down a single marine... from the meltagun (seriously... FNP is awesome). In his assault phase, my librarian goes for the sanguine sword and gets it off. His termies charge, his chaplain being very careful to avoid my librarian (awww). I get my strikes in, the librarian managing to actually kill a termie. As expected, however, my entire squad gets mulched horribly. This ends his turn, bringing it back to me.

Turn 4

Blood Angels

My final squad finally makes it down. I combat squad it, sending the meltagun squad northwards to deal with the vindicator. The powerfist squad (with my final priest) makes a safe landing behind my remaining RAS. I advance my RAS northwards and my SG westwards, setting up for a nice little charge later in the turn. My meltagun squad fires at the vindicator and it explodes in glorious metallic rain. The 5-man RAS runs forwards to get in position to assist next turn. My 10-man RAS fire their pistols and meltas as the termie squad, managing to down a TH/SS termie (hooray!). My sanguinary guard fire their infernus pistols at the tac squad, not wanting to potentially kill enough to allow them to combat tacics away, and down one marine. In the assault phase, my sanguinary guard get FC from the priest and charge into the tacs. The priest's RAS multi-assault and, with some finangling, get 2 marines into combat with the tacs and the rest into the termies (including my powerfist in with his chaplain!). In the assault phase, the sanguinary guard completely wipe out the tacs before they have a chance to blink. My assault marines and priest manage to down another TH/SS before they have a chance to swing. His chaplain wiffs his attacks and his TH/SS termies do similarly bad, only managing to kill one marine (not quite what I wanted, to be honest, I was hoping to lose a couple more). My powerfist swings, getting two wounds on the chaplain, who promptly fails one of his invulnerable saves. The termies test leadership at -11 and fail to get snake eyes. My marines catch them and they're forced to take their no retreat wounds, losing another TH/SS termie. All my guys pile in with the final terminator. After surveying the table for a minute, my opponent extends his hand and gives me the game, as without being able to shoot at my RAS and SG, he doesn't see any possibly way of winning now.

Summary

Win for the Blood Angels!

Overall, it was a very exciting game. The first couple of turms had me nervous and wondering what was going to happen. The reserve re-rolls didn't help very much this game (I never passed a re-roll, lol), but descent of angels was great for when I did scatter (even if they had all scattered, it wouldn't have even been that bad, maybe a single mishap at the most). My opponent, while knowing what was coming (me and a couple other players had a big discussion about blood angels while we were setting up this game, and I made sure to explain everything to him), actually seeing it on the tabletop proved how brutally effective blood angels can be. Deep strike mishaps are going to be very rare. Sanguinary guard performed exactly how I wanted them to, racking up combat resolution like nobody else (no one was dissing SG after my games ) and are definitely a great unit. I had hoped the librarian would have done a little more than he did, but he sadly got killed early without a good opening early for him to take. The blood lance is a lot of fun and I could easily see myself racking up three or four vehicles on a regular basis. Sanguine sword is great and continued to be the best performing power throughout the day, by far. At initiative S10? Wooooooooo! The priests also proved to be amazing units (when they were on the board, lol) and I do believe two is plenty for how I run this army. It may not have the best coverage (three would be great), but it's sufficient to be sure.

So, anyways, I'm interested (as always) in what other people thought about this game, others they've had with or against BA, etc. etc.

^_^

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blood Angels vs Space Marines 1500 April 8/10

So why were the new Angels of Death kicking the crap out of some Space Marines? Can you tell I like fluff?

I haven't read the new book, so I don't know a lot about them. Playing all reserves is not my style, and I thought you were screwed in the beginning of that game, so well done pulling out the win. Is there anything you would have done differently, are there other units you want to try? Overall good report and I know Vassal never looks like real life, but the pictures do help convey the pace of the battle.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 05:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: Blood Angels vs Space Marines 1500 April 8/10

Hey, thanks for the comment!

As for fluff... umm... I call shenanigans! ;D

Reserves can work for BA because of descent of angels. It allows re-rolls to failed reserve rolls and you only scatter 1d6" when deep striking with a jump pack.

If I could have done it again, I would have been more careful with my libby squad, for sure. I was too eager to get off the blood lance and I took the hits when my libby squad got hit in combat. I also would have deep struck my sanguinian guard more to the left to perhaps get them into the battle earlier (put some pressure on the tac squad). Oh, and I'd like to roll better for reserves, lol. Besides that, there's nothing I can really think of. I probably could have pulled off a couple riskier drops to take out the vindicators earlier, but then I'm just tempting fate.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote