Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Space Marines 750 points fight #3 w/pics 01-04-10
Old 07 Apr 2010, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers
Default Tau vs. Space Marines 750 points fight #3 w/pics 01-04-10

A New Threat!?

As Va’Re’X was helped up into a new XV8 suit he welcomed the upgrades of stims and shield drones. The last fight had been to close when the Space Marines sent their assault troops on a hell bent rage attack to stop him. He could not falter though. Lead by example and advance forward against the enemy.
Deployment planet side had been almost completed but a vital supply drop had been shot down. These weapons and ammunition were going to be needed if Va’Re’X was to secure the planets listening post and there was not enough time to return to the city. With an increase in spatial disturbances, possibly an incoming warp storm, Va’Re’X had so far been unable to communicate with the empire to request reinforcements.
A small Cadre had gathered and was now following Va’Re’X while the bulk of the force remaining to defend the planets only city. The supply drops’ beacon had been damaged and so the cadre split up in order to find the needed supplies.

When Va’Re’X came upon an abandoned Kroot camp he could see the supplies and they were still in tact, but beyond the horizon stood more of the blue armoured brutes; advancing to slow the Tau march.

[box]
Fight Three - Vital Advance

Objective: Seize Ground - Spearhead
The Tau need the vital supplies while the Space Marines want to take the supplies to reduce the Tau offensive abilities.
Points Limit: 750
Turns: 5
Special Rules/Notes: Each player can pick an objective which may be destroyed, acting as an Armour Value 11 building.
Battlefield: At the centre is the ammo drop as one objective. Both craters are objectives in order to take territory. The black disc the space marines start on is another bunker that the Tau indicated as their designated destroyable objective. The front box with walls on top is one of the Tau starting objectives that the SM chose to be another destroyable objective. Walls offer a 4+ save and craters a 5+ save, the bunker gives a 2+ save.

Units and Deployment:
Tau - HQ Units:
Shas’O Vare:
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Fusion Blaster
Hard-Wired Multi Tracker
Iridium Armour
Stimulant Injector
Drone Controller with 2 Shield Drones

ELITE Units:
Shas’ui XV8 Crisis Suit:
Team Leader
Twin Linked Plasma Rifles
Missile Pod
Hard-Wired Multi Tracker

Shas’ui XV8 Crisis Suit:
Team Leader
Twin Linked Plasma Rifles
Missile Pod
Hard-Wired Multi Tracker

TROOP Units:
Fire Warriors x 9:
Shas’ui
Bonded
Fire Warriors x 6:
Kroot x 12:

HEAVY Units:

Broadside:
Shas’ui Team Leader
Smart Missile System
Hard-Wired Multi Tracker
Advanced Stabilisation System

Broadside:
Shas’ui Team Leader
Smart Missile System
Hard-Wired Multi Tracker
Advanced Stabilisation System
TOTAL: 750 pts

Starting within the buildings worked as a great advantage. I placed a broadside on top to give him a great field of view and the 6 man squad of FW to join him. My tactic was to have them behind the wall and dash for the ammo in the last turns. My 9 man squad would head along my table edge for the large crater while my commander and other broadside would head to stop any encroaching forces getting to the small crater. My 2 crisis suits and 12 strong kroot squad would stay in reserve.

Space Marines - HQ Units:
Space Marine Captain:
Artificer Armour
Lightning Claw
Storm Bolter
Digital Weapons

Elite Units:
Ironclad Dreadnaught:
Hurricane Bolter
Chain Fist
Hunter Killer Missile x 2

Troop Units:
Tactical Squad x 10
Flamer
Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad x 10
Sergeant with Power fist
Flamer
Missile Launcher
Razorback Transport
Twinlinked Lascannon
Mounted Storm bolter
TOTAL: 748 PTS

One unit of 10 starts within the bunker while the other gets as far forward towards the wall as possible and the Captain joins them in advancing. The Dreadnaught starts behind the bunker out of view and the razorback gets ready for a storming charge towards the front lines.

Tau - Turn 1
On top of the building the 6 man squad moved up and behind the wall along with the broadside. The other broadside moved steadily towards the small crater with Va’Re’X. The 9 man team of fire warriors moved along the bottom table edge towards the large crater.
On top of the building the broadside unleashed its mighty rail gun at the razorback tank. A direct hit caused the vehicle to explode. The second broadside took a shot at the closest squad of marines and managed to kill 1. The 9 man squad took this chance to make a run move towards the large crater, as did Va’Re’X make a further move towards the small crater.

Space Marine - Turn 1
The squad joined with the captain marches forward to the wall and the dreadnaught moves into the remains of where the razorback once stood.
In an attempt of revenge the dreadnaught launched its 2 Hunter Killer missiles at the broadside standing on top of the building but one missed its target and the other failed to cause a wound.

Tau - Turn 2
The only unit to move is the team of 9 fire warriors as they go to take the large crater, the Kroot however manage to infiltrate onto the right hand side table edge using the ‘Outflank’ special rule. I bring them in to the top side so they can hold the small crater.
Both broadsides attempt a shot at the dreadnaught but only manage to immobilise him. All other shooting from Va’Re’X and the fire warriors fails to wound the space marines.

Space Marine - Turn 2
With no movement taking place, 1 unit holding the bunker while the other takes cover behind the wall and the dreadnaught immobilised, the marines take their shots.
From behind the wall the unit of marines along with the captain destroy one of the Tau Commanders’ Shield Drones. From within the bunker the unit of marines along with the dreadnaught shoot at the fire warriors holding the large crater. 5 tau soldiers fall but the unit passes its morale test and holds the ground still.

Tau - Turn 3
1 crisis suit deep strikes onto the field and my Kroot advance towards the small crater. Both the broadsides shoot at the stuck dreadnaught once more but still only cause an immobilised hit, failing any more damage to it. Every other unit shoots at the marines behind the wall but only manages to kill one of the super human soldiers.

Space Marine - Turn 3
Still the marines hold their ground. Hunkered down behind a wall, holding the bunker objective and the dreadnaught unable to move.
The Captains squad shoots again at the Shas’O but still only another shield drone falls. The dreadnaught and squad in the bunker shoot at the crisis suit putting him down as fast as he came into the battle.
Before I could finish smoking my cigarette, the SM had finished their go.

Tau - Turn 4
To start with my second battle suit enters the field and deep strikes next to the objective. I decide not to move anyone else. So far the table is looking favourable for me, with 2 objectives held to his 1, and my tactic of 6 fire warriors ready to make their move for the ammo supplies. With all that fire power in range of the centre objective I hold off from making them move yet.
So all my units unleash their fire power at the space marines behind the wall but only get 2 successful kills. Both broadsides pick at the dreadnaught some more, still causing minimal damage as he loses one of his arm mounted weapons

Space Marines - Turn 4
Its time for them to make a move. The guys in the bunker hold their position but the squad behind the wall make a break for the small crater, getting halfway there.
They then shoot at the crisis suit that deepstriked in and cause 1 wound. The other squad and dreadnaught shoot at the 4 fire warriors in the crater, killing 2 and they fall back off the field.

FINAL TURN

Tau - Turn 5
So now my plan comes into play. First my 6 man team of fire warriors jump of the building and advance. Then they make a run move and get right up to the centre objective. My Shas’O advances forward to stay in range of the space marines with the captain and the kroot charge onto the small crater.
My commander and crisis suit shoot at the captains squad. 10 shots, that’s 5 from the CIB and one from the Fusion Blaster on my commander and 2 from the plasma rifle and missile pod on the suit. After their hail of fire only 3 marines remain, along with the captain. Now it could easily go to 2 points each on his turn as his Captain is blatantly going for the large crater, so this is when I bring in my final act. It takes both my broadsides, but as we had agreed at the beginning of the game, they shoot at his bunker. All throughout the game those marines sat safe holding the objective which ended up as a pile of rubble and taking away one of his objectives.
In the final moments to try and hold the captain back I threw my crisis suit at the captain, but for all the guts that brave warrior had, he fell under the might of the captains superior weapons and skill. This then worked against me as he consolidated towards the small objective.

Space Marines - Turn 5
This was it. Try and make a draw. Even with the consolidation from the last turn the captain and squad had to make a run move, along with their normal move to get within the centre on the large crater. This was the end for that squad. To hold the one objective.

The marines had one final chance to pull a draw. The squad that now sat in a pile of rubble all took a shot at the 6 fire warriors holding the centre objective. With all the shots and the dreadnaught, only 1 fell.

This was it. The games final action.

The squads missile launcher going for a blast marker hit.

The most tense roll I ever had to watch as the scatter dice tumbled across the table.

DIRECT HIT. Blast marker covered all 5 fire warriors and so the tension grew even more. He rolls to wound and again, all 5 are wounded. My turn to roll for saves and if any survive, to see if they hold their ground. The tension falls on me.
Two tests would decide this game. First to see if any survived and should even one manage to hold onto his life I still roll a morale test. If I fail they would fall back and the game ends as a draw. I blew on the dice. I prayed to the dice gods. I closed my eyes and dropped them. We both admitted that with every bounce of the dice against the wooden table top our heart rates increased…

[/box]

A thick dust had risen into the battlefield. Streams of bolter fire whizzed across the battle field, crisscrossed by intermittent fusion and ion blasts. The Space Marine Captain ran with his squad of marines towards the crater to take the ground and hold for reinforcements. The air cracked apart as Railgun fire deafened all on the battlefield. To the distance an ancient bunker had given up and began to crumble in on its self, the Marines inside scrambling out to safety. Still the Marines Captain made his way to the small crater. With a shout of orders six Shas’la Fire Warriors bail out of the safety they enjoyed within the hardened Kroot hut. Sprinting forward they felt their stomachs rise up into their throat. This was not the Tau way. Every bound forward was met with dozens of bolter fire. Still they prevailed on. Closer they came. Both forces almost had reinforcements, but one must fall back. The only advantage here was the supplies. Get the supplies and gain success for the day. The Space Marine Captain could be seen standing on the craters rim. A roar of victory bellowed from his armour as a missile struck at the advancing fire warriors. Alien screams filled the air as a red mist engulfed the squad. Reinforcements arrived to the filed, a small army of men and tanks ready for full engagement.
Yet, from the bloody fog there was movement. Two warriors pulled themselves to their feet. They were at the crates. One Shas’la reloads his pulse rifle and unleashes a rapid fire of pulse destruction towards the marines. As he braves the oncoming Bolter fire the other drags the ammo back. He meets with the broadsides and a Hammerhead Cadre that had come to lend a hand. All reloaded, a line of rail guns form up. Unleashing the fury of the Tau empire the great fields of ice are shredded apart, along with any poor soul that was to be caught from the deadly accurate weapons.

TAU WIN!

My BRAVE Shas'la that win me the game!

The End Game

Overview:
Well what can be said. It was a fairly easy match for the Tau. The SM held their ground to much and I think now my mate realises that is not the way to play them. It gave me full dominance of range with my weapons. The twist of objective destruction made it more enjoyable and I think helped towards that tension of the final turn. Sure I could have left my 6 fire warriors on the building all nice and safe and won easily but where is the heroics and cinematic value in that lol.

Thanks for your time and love to hear your opinion. Il end it with a final bit of fluff :P readying
for the new army.

[box] Shas’O Va’Re’X walked through the rubble that was his drones, thinking of thanks to the Earth caste that designed and built them. He looked at the battlefield as the last of the marines retreated into the distance, leaving behind a mass of rubble of what was once their tanks.
He remembered his childhood, seeing these plains on a sunset and the suns light reflecting off the ice in an array of inspiring colours. The Kroot camp busy with primitive life as the Kroot had adapted to this planet. So blissful and beautiful was this picture that it would cheer up even the dullest of moods. Now it was a scarred skin of the planet. Cracks and scorching tainted this happy place. It was time to move on to the listening post, the Etherals needed to know the Imperium of man had found interest with this planet.
As all began to leave their was a great thundering sound. Va’Re’X turned back to look. At the centre of the battlefield a crack grew. Bigger still as ice broke away and fell. Within seconds it grew, going from crater to crater, joining the impact blasts together like a game of dot to dot, reaching for miles either way.
The ice snapped, acres of the frozen fields falling into a dark and unknown depth. Faint sights of steam began to rise as the planets cold warmth fell into this forgotten canyon. A chilling warmth of death brought life to a horror that chilled the souls of every human or xeno.
Screeching echoed up from the many depths down. A cry of freedom from a millennia old prison. A cry of the horde to come…[/box]
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2010, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau vs. Space Marines 750 points fight #3 w/pics 01-04-10

Love the story! :rockon:
Old 08 Apr 2010, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great report. You have a good style, puts you in the game. The story is well done too. Karma earned.

I agree, the Marines held back way too much. It's a rare day when Marines sit back and trade shots with Tau and win as a result. The magic number with Marines is really the 12" mark for rapid firing. He should have fielded the Razorback as a Rhino and put a Tact Squad in there for mobile gunfire. Also it just seemed as though he wasn't aware of your plans or maybe he had a plan he thought would trump yours? Either way he was playing too reactionary and defensively instead of going on the offensive.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

it was only his 3rd match. in my other 2 reports he played far better and he has learnt his lesson now. the fact my fusion blaster on my commander could hit him meant if he wanted to he could have assaulted with his captain and then taken on the kroot to.

thanks for the comments though. its good to hear what people enjoyed but also any critisism on how i can improve.

and thanks for the karma

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Old 09 Apr 2010, 22:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good to see your Cadre in action again, and this time with a few GW pieces of terrain too; now you just have to paint them. I agree with the others that the SM player was too timid for some reason. I would have charged your commander and the kroot, and not stayed still.

Why did you keep shooting at the dread after it had been immobilized? I would have just pulled the fire warriors back out of range. I also would have waited for turn 4 to bring the 9 strong unit out to claim that objective, so they wouldn't be targetted so soon. Well done in any case, and karma deserved.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 00:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

well, i was expecting him to send marines that way and i was so looking forward to using some rapid fire to kill the marines, but that never happend. and early on i realised i should have held my 9 man squad back with the other squad. by the time my kroot had moved onto the crater i realised the SM wouldn't be moving and i wanted to win this. ive heard to many people moaning about Tau losing so every win is a great victory.

as for shooting the dreadnaught...i realy wanted to kill it as he had bragged so much about how it was suppose to be so great...i just wanted him to feel railgun death lol.

next match im losing the crisis suits and bringing in a hammerhead lol. the crisis suits will return when i can buy some new ones, maybe XV9s and we increase our point limit again.

Old 10 Apr 2010, 00:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

With their 3+ armor save never rely on rapid fire pulse rifles to do a whole lot. You'd be lucky to kill 3 marines with 18 shots, and the other 7 would chew your squad up in close combat. Use your range to your advantage and whittle them down first.

You will often find people get tunnel vision during a game, and throw too much firepower at a certain unit trying to kill it, when tactically its a bad idea. I had a guy the other day just keep shooting at a single Ork trukk, but was frustrated because he couldn't take it out. He kept firing though and wasted a ton of shots on it, while everything else was untouched.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 01:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

thanks for the tip. if it was a serious match then yes i think i would have left the dreadnaught to himself. but as you saw with my 6 man squad of fire warriors we like the heroics and to make it as exciting as possible.

fire warriors sat in a building holding an objective is boring and what you expect. Fire Warriors jumping off a building and running through a hail of fire in order to gain vital ammo supplies...its not what tau are suppose to do, but if the situation demands it, the cadre heavy weapons almost out of ammo, then im sure theres a few tau within the empire who seek glory as much as they strive for the greater good.

Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree, but think of the XV88 pilot who is ordered to consistently shoot a neutered dreadnought, wouldn't he rather blow the head off a captain, sergeant, or get into a Space Marine killing contest like Gimli and Legolas?
Old 10 Apr 2010, 13:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Congrats on being the newest featured report!