Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Nids vs 1500 Imperial Guard 30 Mar 10
Old 01 Apr 2010, 03:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1500 Nids vs 1500 Imperial Guard 30 Mar 10

The game lasted 3 turns. Due to me trying to finish before the store close and trying to remember how to play nids I'll do a quick battle report with a decent review. I barely remember what he has but I'll try to list all he had. I just remembered all the plasma this guy had.

1500 pt Nids
-hq-
280 Pt's Swarmlord

-Elites-
60 Pt's zonathorpe
60 Pt's zonathorpe
140 Pt's Deathleaper

-troops-
50 Pt's 10 termagants
50 Pt's 10 termagants
50 Pt's 10 termagants
195 Pt's tervigon: toxin, a glands, catalyst, cluster
170 Pt's tervigon: toxin, a glands, cluster
195 Pt's tervigon: toxin, a glands, catalyst, cluster

-heavy-
240 Pt's trygon prime

Vs

Command Squad 4 grenade launchers Psyker that gives me -1 reserve, 2 body guards, re-roll morale banner

Chimera multi-laser and heavy bolter

Chimera multi-laser and heavy bolter

vet squad with snare mines and 3 plasma

vet squad carapace with 3 plasma

vet squad carapace with 3 plasma

vet squad 3 meltas

vet squad 3 plasma

vet squad 3 plasma

Vanquisher

Vanquisher

Medusa

Lascannon Armoured Sentinel

Valkyrie

Opening
I'm thinking that this will be a rough game for me. The only thing going for mr is that I noticed a lack of anti-infantry and I'm only facing 6 vehicles. At the start of the game he has like 76 models to my 39 models. I'm really hoping I get to go first cause if I don't this game is gonna hurt.

We set up 7 big pieces of terrain and we decided to play a standard mission. Annilate was rolled so kps is the objective. I have less kps unless I use my Tervigons to spawn gaunts. I decide to use my gaunt spawning to try to over whelm with numbers.

For deployment we winded up getting quarters. In a way this set up helps me. I know he's gonna outflank with the Valkyrie. Also this set up gives him limited running space which I could box him in and hopefully wipe him out while trying to survive the Valkyrie's shooting till the game ends. I've to ds with the deathleaper and decide to ds the trygon prime. I was gonna field the prime but thought better of it.

I won the roll to go first and set up my Tervigons 12" away from the center. I put my gaunts behind my Tervigons with my Tyrant and Zonathorpes hiding behind the Tervigons.

When he set up he pretty much put his guys way in the back and put some guys in terrain. He had his Sentinel and Medusa rather close to my forces just so he could hide behind a building. I think both of those units should had been farther back. Also his two vanquishers was in between his troops and his sentinel and Medusa. His set up was very helpful for me to reach his vehicles in 2-3 turns. He tried to steal int and no dice.

Turn 1
- movement-
Well first thing first I spawn 3 waves of Termagants. Wave one was 14, wave 2 was 12, and wave 3 was 15. I just dropped 41 extra models in turn 1 which more than doubled my starting size. Bringing me up to 80 models where I slightly out numbered him. I rolled 2s on two so I can only use 1 tervigon for spawning.

I gave feel-no-pain to my tyrant and my spawned gaunt squad closer to the sentinel.

I noticed doing movement due to the spawning effect I all ready had nids at the middle of the board. I had 1 termagant squad, Zonathorpe, and Tervigon hit the left flank bearing down on his tanks. My Tyrant, Tervigon, and 3 gaunt squads hit the left flank. While a Tervigon, Zonathorpe and two termagant squads hit the middle heading strait for the Vanquishers.

- Shooting -
I fleeted with everyone. The models up the middle rolled 1s which hurt me and my right flank was getting pretty close to his Medusa.

-Guard Player Turn-

- movement-
He moved his two chimera's on the left to not get trapped by the horde of bugs. He's actually annoyed about my army just doubling in one turn. So I'm figuring he's gonna shoot my Tervigons like there is no tommorrow. Everything else just sit back while he moves his sentinel to support his Medusa.

- shooting-

Both Vanquishers target my left flanking Tervigon putting 2 wounds on him. The sentinel hits putting a wound on the right flanking Tervigon. He seems a bit confused rather to shoot the small bugs or the big bugs. So the rest of the shooting goes towards the small bugs with him not using plasma. He kills about 12 assorted bugs due to cover saves and feel no pain. The Medusa fires and misses horribly due to no line of sight.

Turn 2
- movement -
I was able to get my deathleaper and trygon in on this turn. The deathleaper wouldn't have gotten on if it wasn't for the +1 from the swarm lord. I spawn 15 gaunts rolling doubles which pretty much negated his first turn shooting. Sadly I can't spawn anymore gaunts. But I can't complain about the good rolling and the 56 extra guys showing up. This time I put feel-no-pain on two of my gaunt squads since his army is AP1 heavy. I'm scared to move my big stuff up but really don't have a choice and just have to hope my gaunts hit combat this turn. I drop my Trygon and Deathleaper near the Medusa.

- Shooting -
Not as much running as last turn. The right flank Tervigon shoots at a guard squad with his cluster shot killing one guardsmen. My zonathorpe misses the sentinel. Deathleaper misses Medusa but the Trygon knocks the main gun off the Medusa.

- Assault -

I can possibly get into combat if I roll 5" or higher with move through cover. Of course I can't get it when I really need it. My poor gaunts is where I didn't want them to be. Man I haven't played nids in so long I placed my nids in rapid fire death range.

- Guard Player's Turn -

- movement -
He disembarks both chimera's and move his guardsmen up. I was hopping to avoid the rapid firing death but lucky me I'm gonna get a full bath. Valkyrie still doesn't come in. He moves his Vanquisher tanks back some since the nids was so close. As an after thought I could had given a squad furious charge and assaulted a Vanquisher trying to get glancing hits on it. But I forgot but it's OK that I did anyway.

- Shooting -
I got to admit I really hated this phase. First he orders bring it down on the left flanking tervigon with 4 wounds. With plasma he put 3 wounds on it and kill the big guy with a twin linked lasgun. The two disembarked squads and the other squad concentrated on the feel-no-pain squad killing them all. When my Tervigon died it effected 5 squads killing around 20-25 gaunts. Man he rolled good on that. So he just got 2 kps to my 0. A Vanquisher wounds my Trygon and a plasma team puts 2 more wounds on my Trygon.

- Assault -
Rapid Firing st oped the assaulting.

Turn 3 final

I have to make up for my heavy loses on the last turn and get some kps.

- movement-
Feel-No-Pain on my right flanking termagant squad. Moved everyone so they can be able to assault everything. Moved on up with everything.

- shooting-
Zonathorpe kills a vanquisher as does the other Zonathorpe killing another Vanquisher. Both vehicles explode killing about 5-8 gaunts and killing like 5 guardsmen. Swarmlord lowers guard squad ws to 1 and kills nothing with scream. Everything else runs or don't bother shooting.

- assaults -
Deathleaper assaults Medusa blowing it up. The explosion kills 3 of my feel no pain gaunts and 9 guardsmen. Man got to love those 6" explosions with my men around it. I lost more gaunts to explosions and exploding tervigons than anything else. Feel no pain right flanking squad kills the one guy and bumps me up to 4 kps. Tervigon and Trygon manages to Immobilize, weapon destroyed, and other effects but the one I really need si they stay locked in combat. One of my middle squads assault his guardsmen winning combat but they stay in combat. The main horde assaults his middle squad with snare mines winning combat chasing off the vets. I actually almost lost combat with my swarmlord and 3 gaunts. The swarmlord barley wins and is locked in combat which is a good thing.

At this point he decides to call it. His Valkyrie comes in wounding my other Tervigon just to wound him. Most if his army is locked in losing combat or will get assaulted by nids on all fronts. He still had two chimera's, hq squad, Valkyrie, and 1 vet squad that might ex cape the circle of doom. My swarmlord won combat and was capable of hurting a chimera while the rest of his army was literally encircled. I could keep poping behind rear armour with my lictor taking out one of the vehicles. It was doubtful he could win so he gave me the game and the store was closing.

Review
Swarmlord: This model isn't really working out for me. Against regular troops it seems to only kill 2-3 guys. In combat it seems he's more geared to take out tough hard to kill characters rather than normal troops. The +1 re-roll is nice but it's not worth the points. Out of all the games I used him he really didn't do very much. I'm thinking it would be better for me to run a Tervigon as hq or a warrior prime. I ran a warrior prime twice and it out performed the swarmlord everytime.

Tervigons: Man I must spread out my Tervigons out more. The explosion killed way two many gaunts. I'm thinking of like 2 squads per Tervigon. A dying Tervigon can cause a lot of damage. This guy works best just supporting the gaunts. Make sure he's close enough to give off it's effects but far enough not to get plasma death or even in close combat. Between the termagants and the tervigons they pretty much soaked up the fire from other units.

Deathleaper: Worked pretty well. Was pretty much ignored due to the
Tervigons. Wish the BS was slightly better. But did very well in close combat against vehicles.

Trygon: It slaughter troops in droves and the am out of shooting can possibly take out armour from the rear or side.

Termagants: In the tervigons radius these guys preformed very well. Hard to remember which squad is which.

Zonathorpes: Was surprised to see no one really shoot these guys. The Tervigons draw much heat from these guys. Game could had went differently if they was taken out.

I'm thinking of taking out the tyrant and adding a tyranofex. I think a Tyrannofex will help out with antitank greatly cause it's capable of shooting from a distance with str 10. I can see skimmers can be a problem since they can run circles and possibly kill me off with hit and run tactics.

So far this list is doing far better than I thought It would. I think the intimidation factor of 39 models jumping up to 100 models in game makes a huge difference. I'm gonna proxy a Tyrannofex or two to see how well they would work for me.

Old 18 Jan 2013, 18:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, bring a T-fex.
toss in a mawloc with deathleaper and u can wipe out infantry with his blast upon entry, then assault rear armor on vehicles. give it adrenal glands to make it an even better tank-killer, although it still wont be able to pop land raiders or monoliths, thats what the rupture cannon on Tyrannofex does. although T-fex only hits on 4+, so half the time hes gonna miss his shots. I have a decent amount of success with my tyrannofex, although my most recent opponent's land raider redeemer gave me a bit of trouble, i kept missing my shots and i hit 1 time and got a glancing hit and rolled a 1 for vehicle damage. also consider a carnifex with scything talons and/ or crushing claws coming down in a spore pod to pop tanks. adrenal glands up him to S10, and that combined with the living abtterinbg ram rule it goes from I1 to I4 on turns it charges in.

Hive Fleet Briares
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2013, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

*battering ram, sorry dumb typos

Hive Fleet Briares
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote