Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points-Fight #2 w/pics - 03-2010
Old 22 Mar 2010, 18:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers
Default Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points-Fight #2 w/pics - 03-2010

first of all i would like to say thanks for taking the time to read this and id apreciate any and all comments.

The Reclaimer!

As Shas’O Va’Re’X walked out of the ruined mine a small explosion was seen on the horizon, the remains of the Space Marine tank going up in a final act of retribution. Its crew sealed inside. Scattered remains of fire warriors rose from the small mounds of bodies. Two helping a Broadside Pilot who suffered great wounds but so far had held onto the last strands of life. Va’Re’X found the runaway Kroot but had no bad feelings for them. The Kroot had been with the ’O through many battles with the Orks and had not rested since the last encounter. The sight of such a mighty machine was new to them as it tried to run them down, at the very least he could not afford to turn away troops when war may be upon them. He sent the Kroot off to search the dead Marines and see what new tech may be available or what survivors may be resting in an unconscious state.
He found his way to Vare Colony. The main gates opened up and within a thousand Tau lined the gates celebrating as drop ships settled down to bring in more troops and battle suits. Cheers and echoes of joy spread to the heights of the southern mountains and across the frozen seas to the east. Happiness felt its way through the snap-frozen forests of the north, millennia old but never changing, their beauty and colours trapped for an eternal picture. Joy and happiness was beaten back by the west…

A small tremor came and went, kicking up dust as the wave swept passed.
Mystery silenced the crowds.
A faint sonic boom whispered at the city walls, loose gravel and grit fell from the city’s heights.
Fear broke the silence with mutters of curiosity.
A mighty blast struck at the walls and chaos ensued.

As more shells fell into the city Va’Re’X focused his optics upwards, and for the part of a moment, Shas’O Va’Re’X and O’Vare stood eye to eye, hundreds of meters apart, an exchange of emotion lasting a lifetime. O’Vare saw him now. His son returned home…his son a Shas’O.
O’Vare had heard of Commander Va’Re’X, his true identity a great secret. A ferocious warrior with many tales of foolish heroics but always prevailing. The Reclaimer is what they called him, and now his official title Va’Re’X was recognised within the Tau language as ‘Reclaimer’, but no one knew why. O’Vare understood. Va’Re’X was his son, disgusted with his father and his families abandonment to the Shas way of life. Va’Re’X left his family of self made politicians to right this great wrong and has done everything in his power. Almost forgoing all Tau war tactics and ways of life in order to stand out, to survive, to win and to reclaim the family title of Shas’O.

Va’Re’X linked into the cities communications and over the city wide radios he ordered all Tau to their duties. O’Vare handed all military authority to Va’Re’X. The Kroot search party returned and the Shaper came forward, “The leader of mystic powers had survived and fled the battlefield. He returns with more metal warriors.”
Basic in language but Va’Re’X understood. The librarian survived his grievous wounds suffered from the rail gun. He had heard of Space Marines and their strength but he had truly underestimated their toughness. Now this librarian returns so soon and with more troops, maybe we will see who leads this army or why it is that they are here.
Va’Re’X turned and headed back out through the gates, taking with him his Kroot and the gate guards. Silent codes went through out the city. Orders to all his landing parties to ready themselves for a fight much harder than that faced before.

Space Marines are here and still on the offensive!

The Reclaimer stands in their way!

Fight Two - A Foot Hold

Objective: Dawn of War - Annihilation
Points Limit: 500
Turns: 5
Special Rules/Notes: First turn is night time fighting rules.
Battlefield: So a bit of imagination is needed here. The black disk in the middle is a bunker with AV12 giving 2+ save and the tray on the far left with 2 trees on it represents a forest offering 4+ save. The 2 small cardboard rings are classed as craters offering 5+ save. All cardboard boxes count as being to tall to pass over and the 2 plastic tubs are simple small buildings/shacks.

Deployment:
Tau -
So the Tau get to go first. Wonderful and I start on the south edge! I have a Cyclic Ion Blaster and Fusion Blaster on my Shas’O Vare Commander, also using a hardwired multi tracker and iridium armour who I place near the centre on the field, just behind the small plastic tub. A unit of 6 bonded fire warriors starts just behind the bunker and the unit of 10 Kroot are positioned in the western forest. A broadside suit with a smart missile system and advanced stabilisation system, and a 2nd squad of 11 Kroot start off the table awaiting turn one. Both Kroot squads have a shaper each and all Kroot took a 6+ save.
Space Marines -
Leading the army once more was the librarian with a force weapon, storm bolter and smite and force dome for his psychic powers. He started in the top left corner behind a building with a tactical squad consisting of 5 standard marines with bolters and 1 sergeant with power fist and bolt pistol. His second squad or tactical marines started in the top right behind a small hut. They had 4 marines with bolters, 1 with plasma pistol and chainsword and 1 sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol. A unit of Assault Marines remained in reserve, ready to deep strike, weilding 4 bolt pistols and chainswords and a sergeant with combat blade, combat shield and bolt pistol.

Turn One - Tau
The Broadside enters the battle on the eastern edge, ready to head off the unit of 6 marines, he attempts to get sights on the marines but fails to the darkness of the early hours. The second Kroot squad of 11 enter just behind the forest while all other units move forward. The Fire warriors enter the bunker and the Shao’O almost hides out of sight as he moves between the Hut and large building.

Turn One - Space Marines
The unit of marines on the left head towards the broadside but also fail their sight test. The Librarian and squad of marines on the right advance forward, keeping out of LOS from the central bunker. They end their movement, joining together, and shoot at the kroot in the forest to eliminate only 3 targets out of 13 shots.

Turn Two - Tau
The Broadsides’ Twin Linked Rail Guns fail me twice when rolling to hit, but the smart missile system manages to take one of the advancing marines. My Shas’O steps out from the alleyway to unleash with his Cyclic Ion Blaster and Fusion Blaster. Both weapons take down a marine each in a flanking manoeuvre. I leave my Shas’O in the open hoping the remaining 3 marines head towards him. Staying hidden in the forest my kroot advance forward and open fire downing another marine. My other kroot squad advance at full speed along the edge of the forest while the fire warriors remain where they are.

Turn Two - Space Marines
Failing to get his assault squad into play he opens fire with his 3 remaining marines on the right. Although I left my Shas’O out in play he ignored my bait and still went after my Broadside, but was unable to break the 2+ armour save. His librarian and attached squad opened up on my Kroot once more and downed another 2.

Turn Three - Tau
Between my broadside and Shas’O I finally finished off the 3 marines on the left and got my first scoring unit. In the centre, after advancing to far forward my fire warriors could get 3 shots off at the librarian and his squad, but failed to wound. On the other hand my Kroot squad of 11 took down 3 marines with their 22 shots. The 5 remaining Kroot in the woods charge the librarian and squad but fail miserably and after losing 1 member they flee back through the forest.

Turn Three - Space Marines
The Assault Squad deep strike into play and go for my Shas’O. In such a surprising attack he is quickly overwhelmed and falls without any sort of counter attack. Likewise the Librarian and remaining Spacers assault the second Kroot squad. In the massacre only one marine falls, but the kroot are all taken down in a sweeping advance when they flee from combat.

Turn Four - Tau
So my 4 kroot in the are still on the board and finally my fire warriors get a clean and clear shot at the librarian. 12 shots later and the Librarian and remaining sergeant die, gaining me another 2 kill points. Making it 3 - 2 to me so far. 1 more turn to go and its my fire warriors and Broadside versus the Assault squad. Using his Smart Missile System the broadside takes down one spacer.

Turn Four - Space Marines
With only 1 squad left this was a simple step. Move towards the fire warriors. Shoot all their pistols and fail to wound. So you would think charge and level the score BUT the Fire Warriors surprised us both. Not only ignoring the pistol fire, they survived the oncoming assault and won. All they had to do was let the marines run off the field with their 3D6 fall back move but surviving the attack and killing another Marine was not enough as they won the sweeping advance. But due to the Marines No Retreat special rule they survived and took no wounds.

Turn Five - Tau
The broadside could do nothing and the kroot still remained on the table as the fire warriors had one choice. Hand to hand ended in a draw as both units lost 1 more.

Turn Five - Space Marines
The final turn. The combat begins as fists, guns and swords are swung at each other in a flurry of attacks. At the end of it 1 fire warrior fell and did not even manage to make a single roll to hit back. After surviving 3 Close Combat Phases with a Space Marine Assault Squad the bonded team of veterans had taken enough. They began to fall back but the marines returned the favour of a sweeping advance and destroyed them. The final turn, the final phase and the Space Marines pulled off a draw, destroying their 3rd unit.

Battle Overview
The first half of the game went extremely well for me. My broadside could have performed better from the start, only getting 2 tactical and 1 assault marine kills but my Shas’O took out the other 4 tacticals before being jumped on by the assault squad. My 2 Kroot squads did their work and between them reduced a team of 7 down to just a librarian and tactical sergeant before giving it up, but allowing my fire warriors to easily gun them down. AND my fire warriors. Never have I seen my fire warriors fair so well in hand to hand combat. If only that luck had stretched out for one more phase and then I would have won the match. But with positive and negative performances I can settle for a draw this time.

Kudos to the SM Assault troops who made light work of my units. But would have been nice to just have passed 1 morale test or initiative test and had either my second kroot squad, fire warriors or commander survive a CC

Which fate rests with Shas'O Va'Re'X and the Tau of the Vare Colony, Prosperity or Despaire?

Why were the Space Marines intrested in this worthless planet all of a sudden?

Keep your eyes peeled for more fluff filled battle reports to discover the true extent of this campaign.
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 05:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points-Fight #2 w/pics

I remember the days of box terrain ;D It takes a while to get your home board to look as nice as a game store, but keep it up. Nice battrep with pictures this time too. I liked the fluff and the ongoing story.

Just a note though; assault marines can't assault the turn they deepstrike in, so your Shas'O would have been safe for a turn and with the broadside probably would have done quite a bit of damage to them.

Have a :cookie: for your continued efforts.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

are u sure? i dnt have the marine codex but my mate said in his 'dex it says they can assault the turn they deepstrike

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I was under the impression that you couldn't assault units in a building from the outside, and you said the black disc with the firewarriors on it was a building?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 14:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
I was under the impression that you couldn't assault units in a building from the outside, and you said the black disc with the firewarriors on it was a building?
Depends. Is in a "building" or is it a ruin? If it is a ruin you can walk in and out through the walls all day long, but if it was a building you would have to go in via entry point. You can still assault, grated that they are within 6" of you to the door to them.

Also, Vanguard with Jump Packs may assault the turn they Deepstrike, but they may not shoot and if you aren't in range... that sucks for you.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 14:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

again thanks for the posts. before my mate assaulted the bunker we skimmed through the rule book to look about assaulting buildings and we couldn't find anything so classed it as assaulting against a unit in cover, but he had grenades which meant he didnt lose his higher initiative.

we hadnt clarrified the access points although to make it a fair plan i would have assumed them to be at the sides of the bunker, in line with the 2 shorter edges. i will remember this for next time though as even if they were at the sides i believe he would never have reached my men, again meaning my FW may have lasted out till the end of the fight.

Old 26 Mar 2010, 00:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The best thing you can do before the game starts, especially when using household terrain, is decide how the units interact with terrain? Can they climb it, land on top of it, assault in it, is it difficult/dangerous, what cover save do you get when behind it, and those types of things? If you wait until a problem comes up the decision made will always help one player and hurt the other one, so figure it out before it becomes a problem.

Like Goliath said, vanguard veterans can assult, but regular assault marines can't. Make sure you always bring your codex to games, and tell your opponents to as well. You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how to legally play their armies, and then when you ask them to look up a rule they find out they've been doing it wrong for years.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Like Goliath said, vanguard veterans can assult, but regular assault marines can. Make sure you always
so is that they both can or is that suppose to be regular assault marines cant???

Old 26 Mar 2010, 01:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Regular ones can't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 18:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points-Fight #2 w/pics - Date Played?

just been skimming through some old topics. i would like to thank you for noticing that. after he double checked his codex he agreed they shouldnt have been able to and called it a defeat for him. i was fine to still call it a draw. anyway, me and the other local players now wind him up calling him cheater as like myself would rather play properly and lose than to cheat and win :P dont learn anything if you have cheat!