Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points March xx, 2010
Old 12 Mar 2010, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Raving Bonkers
Default Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points March xx, 2010

Vare - Sept Recognition

So this is my first battle report ive written. and was my first battle in over 6 years. my opponent was a complete noob to the gaming side. and for this battle unfortunately there are no pictures. but we have a rematch in a weeks time where we hope things to be a bit better organised.

Settlement
The planet of Vare was once just a small outpost on the far western reaches of Tau space, bordering with the Imperial Empire. Only a small cadre of Tau were stationed there, defending an isolated listening post on the icy surface that eavesdropped on imperial communications. With many decades passing, the outpost grew in size as its value with monitoring Imperial orders and movements became more vital.
Back from the earliest days of the compounds erection, the planet was simply labelled HZ-208 and the single building became known as the Vare Listening Post, named after its Shas’O of the time. As the settlement grew and more structures were built the name evolved to the Vare Colony of HZ-208.
With discoveries of rich and valuable mineral deposits located deep under the frozen surface a large mining team of the Earth caste was sent to the Vare Colony to conduct more precise scans of the planet. Setting up small mining operations and constantly finding more underground fields of highly sought after minerals, the colony continued to grow with more of the Earth caste setting down on the planet and many offspring being born each year.
The Vare Colony soon became a thriving city for more than 10,000 Tau as all the castes worked together to build a safe life while the resources were extracted.
Due to the fact that without bio-domes no food or animal life could survive, no Etheral watched over the planet, the Etherals never envisioned it as a permanent station. The command of the Vare Colony was left to Shas’O Vare and passed down the generations of the Vare lineage. For so long did the Vare family deal with the politics of the colony and not over see the stationed Cadre that the name soon became O’Vare.

Present Day
O’Vare Taol was the descendant of many generations and he was old with age. He has three offspring and his final decision is choose his successor. However, this was no easy task as each of his children had minds of their own.
The first was Vare’Hike, the eldest, who showed little care for politics and instead had a flare for architecture. He would miss many council meetings so that he may work with the Earth caste, not just making buildings of art but making the entire colony look like a place of serenity.
Next was the youngest, Vare’Dim. He loved the war of politics and worked with his father and joined him in Council sessions and debates. Unfortunately he did not have the charismatic skill for himself and whenever he had a point to make there was always someone else who could talk louder and persuade harder.
O’Vare Taol had not heard from his third son in over seventeen years. The last time they spoke was when Vare’Rex revealed his confessions of disgust for the Vare name. Rex had read and discovered the honourable history of the Vare family and the countless Shas’O Vares that resided within the bloodline. The final time he saw Rex was when he demanded to let him make something of the Vare name once more and O’Vare Taol refused, ordering him to his chambers. That night Vare’Rex left his room with dreams of honour and glory. He sneaked aboard a leaving star ship and headed deep into Tau space.
With his final day as O’Vare coming to a close, Taol stood behind the towers pedestal that looked over the colony. For the first time in history he was about to give the title of O’ over the Vare Colony to a Tau that was not one of his descendants. With every Vare citizen watching he began to remove his symbols of office and pass them on to one of his colleagues.
As the final chain was removed from his neck a great looming shadow swooped overhead. No ships had been registered to enter orbit this day and with all citizens watching the ceremony, no one was sat at the listening post. As the shadow fell ever closer, coming down like a bird of prey, its shape started to become apparent. An Imperial transport was falling towards the colony as its lascannons opened fire.

High above, a Tau Water Caste Fleet was engaged with an Imperial armada. The Shas’O, fresh out of a recent Ork Conflict, was still strapped into his station as word of an Imperial Assault vessel had broken through the rushed blockade and was headed for the surface. Ignoring all orders he called to his pilot for a combat launch. Without hesitation the drop ship fell from the cruiser and began a rapid decent through the planets thin atmosphere, soaring ever faster over the Vare Colony.
Shas’O Va’Re’X once grew up on this thriving community and now it had fallen to a burning mess of ruined buildings. In the distance the pilot could see the Imperial Vessel was taking off from the surface and heading back up to the orbital conflict.
The Drop Ship skimmed along the colonies edge and lowered its hatch. The sole survivors of the Ork Conflict stepped out off of the shuttle, landing hard within the middle of a small mining camp and readied themselves for anything that was to stand before them.

Fight One - All or Nothing

Objective: Total annihilation of the enemy or for one commander to surrender.
Points Limit: 500
Turns: -
Special Rules/Notes: -

Battlefield: The scenery was fairly symmetrical. 4 towers were at the centre of the field with a wall in the middle. 4 high rise buildings were to each corner of the field and more walls and fallen trees were scattered around.

Deployment:
The space marines started out with 3 tactical squads of 5 men. 4 space marines and a sergeant in each. 2 sergeants have a bolt pistol and chainsword while the third wielded a bolt pistol and power fist. All other troops held bolters. One unit started within a tank transport that had a 360’ mounted lascannon. The army was lead by a librarian.
Starting on the north edge, two units of marines, including the power fist sergeant and the librarian were based behind a high rise and wall in the north-western edge. The tank with marines started on the opposite corner, ready to outflank.

Tau had a unit of 12 bonded fire warriors and 15 kroot. 1 was a shaper and all took extra armour to get a 6+ armour save. Having already outnumbered the marines the Tau had a broadside battle suit with plasma rifles and multi tracker for some heavy support. Shas’O Va’Re’X commanded the army wielding a plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, multi tracker and iridium armour, granting a 2+ invulnerable save.
Starting on the south the commander took cover behind one of the buildings in the south western edge. The broadside stood near, beside a fallen tree and the fire warriors were central - ready to charge forward into the towers at the centre of the field, ready to assist on either flank. The Kroot used the infiltrate rule to enter on the eastern edge behind the high rise building, eager to pounce on the space marines that sat inside the tank.

Turn One - Space Marines
On the first turn the librarian and power fist tactical squad advanced on either side of the high rise they started by. The unit behind the wall remained stationary and the tank trailed around a fallen tree to park up alongside the north east building, hunting the elusive Kroot.
The librarian used his storm bolter to take a crack at the broadside but was only successful in scratching some paint work off the suits plating.

Turn One - Tau
First I moved the fire warriors forward towards the central towers. The broadside remained still while Shas'O Va'Re'X moved towards the western edge and took cover on the buildings’ corner. The kroot piled in towards the tank but keeping out of sight of the tanks lascannons.
In the shooting phase all I could do was return the favour to the librarian. The broadside lined up his sights and unleashed his twin linked rail guns on the leader. With devastating accuracy the shots placed a hole straight through the body, leaving him slumped to the floor.

Turn Two - Space Marines
The western squad with the power fist continued its advance forward. The marines near by, in cover behind a wall started to head east towards the central towers and the coming fire warriors. The tanks unit disembarked so that 2 men lined up sights on the kroot.
Fist the tanks lascannon seized its opportunity to take out the broadside. With the finest of shots, skimming the central towers, the fire blasted apart the battle suit and left the pilot crippled and bleeding out. The 2 space marines that just disembarked and could see the kroot took their shots and took down 2 of the feral foes.

Turn Two - Tau
I first moved the commander out from his cover so that he could see the charging squad of tactical marines with the sergeants power fist. The fire warriors moved forward towards the tanks direction and the kroot leapt out from their cover, ready to shoot at the tactical squad, fresh out of the tank.
In the shooting phase my Shas’O could only get range with his Cyclic Ion Blaster but managed to kill 2 marines out of 5 shots, in his assault phase I moved him back into cover. The kroot used their rifles to take some shots at the marines but failed to put any of them down.

Turn Three - Space Marines
The power fist squad advanced forward still and his central squad advanced around the tower more. The tank declared a tank shock against the kroot and his marines headed towards the oncoming fire warriors.
The kroot failed to hold their ground and started to fall back as the tank roared towards them. The tank also used its lascannon to vaporise one of the Tau Fire Warriors and the tanks squad sergeant managed to kill off another with his bolt pistol.

Turn Three - Tau
So the kroot failed to regroup and the fire warriors moved towards the tank. The commander stepped out of his cover once more to line up sights on the incoming power fist squad.
Taking his shots with the Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle the Shas’O killed off another 2 marines, leaving the power fist sergeant to fend for himself. The remaining fire warriors were all in rapid fire range and unleashed on the tank. A desperate move but it was enough to disable the tank, a lucky shot shearing through the tracks.
In the assault phase my Shas’O failed to reach his cover once more, no thanks to the heavy iridium armour.

Turn Four - Space Marines
Now both units of marines moved past the tank and towards the fire warriors. The remaining sergeant with power fist ran around the western building to finally come face to face with the Alien Commander.
With all the movement only the sergeants and their pistols could be fired along with the lascannon resulting in 2 more dead fire warriors and the iridium armour of the Shas’O easily shrugged off its hit.
Assaulting forward the power fist sergeant caught the Shas’O commander and managed to inflict 1 wound.

Turn Four - Tau
The kroot still failed to regroup and fell further back. The fire warriors tactically followed their trail, taking the time to shoot back and reduce the tanks troop squad down to just the sergeant remaining.
The Shas’O continued his fight with the power fist which ended with no wounds for either combatant.

Turn Five - Space Marines
The 1 squad of marines and the lone sergeant continued forward towards the fire warriors. Between the marines and the tank the unit was reduced to 6 Tau remaining, lined up along the south eastern building.
In the hand to hand combat taking place with the Shas’O the power fist sergeant suffered his first wound.

Turn Five - Tau
The Kroot had enough of the battle and fled the table completely.
Knowing that no matter how far I went, the 2 sergeants and 4 marines would catch them, my fire warriors held their ground and let loose with 12 shots at the 5 strong marine squad - but only managed to inflict a single casualty.
The mortal combat between my commander and the Power Fist Sergeant commenced once more and Shas'O Va'Re'X finally proved that not all Tau are weak in hand to hand as the space marine fell.

Battle Overview
Had the battle ended there, then the space marines would have won it with his squad of 4 marines counting as the only scoring unit left on the table. However, as this was his first match he insisted on playing on. I think he was hoping to kill off my Shas’O commander and completely wipe out my army. He failed at this attempt though. Shas'O Va'Re'X marched east, using the central towers to block the immobilised tanks line of sight. With advancing, shooting and retreating each turn I shot the 3 marines and 2 sergeants off the field. Then he jumped out from behind the tower where out of 7 shots, only one plasma rifle penetrated the tank. Rolling a 4 the tank lost its only weapon, the lascannon. This brought an end to the game my opponent conceded defeat.

Hold The Line
Despite all the Tau philosophies of war, Va’Re’X refused to fall back behind the colonies walls. Even in the last moments of war, when he stood alone, the enemy were on the other side of the mine and he could have fled the battle, he set his thrusters to an over burst. Whether through rage, adrenaline or the skill and experience of over two decades of fighting Va’Re’X stormed into the last squads of Space Marines. Guns blazing away as his thrusters lifted the battle suit high up, he landed behind the squad leaving just a trail of dust and red mist where the marines once stood. Before stopping, he leapt again. The suits motorized joints launching him forward an incredible distance. He aimed his arm forward and fired off his Cyclic Ion Blasted. Five scorching shots of light struck the tanks flank but as the glare left his optical sensors, the steel brute remained. Seeing the lascannon turret turning to aim, Va’Re’Xs’ plasma rifle ignited. Two bolts struck into the tank, the fire merely denting the tank once more, but the second doing as intended. The lascannon began to melt under the extreme heat of a direct plasma blast and fused to the hull. Va’Re’X finally came to a stop in front of the metal box. No tracks, no weapons, the exit hatch fused shut, Va’Re’X planted some scavenged grenades onto the vehicles fuel tanks before leaving for the colony.
Tau Vs. Tyranids 0-W 0-D 1-L

Tyranids Vs. Chaos Marines 3-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Space Marines 2-W 0-D 0-L
Tyranids Vs. Tau 1-W 0-D 0-L

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Raving Bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau vs. Space Marines - 500 points March xx, 2010

Great battle report I really enjoyed the fluff looking forward to more.

Zaul
Zaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 22:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nice battle report totally agree with Zaul that the fluff was very enjoyable to read and a great touch to the whole report. Good luck with your rematch and will look forward to your next battle report hopefully with a few pictures if its more organised next time

Dev
Old 14 Mar 2010, 17:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

thanks for the comments and would love to hear opinions for the army list on the upcomming battle. with the insight of the last battle i have changed the formation a bit more:

with the early loss of my broadside i have gone back to an old set up i liked using, exchanging the plasma rifle for a fusion blaster. still 6 shots when in range and also he is now a second tank hunter.
HQ Units:
Shas’o Commander: Total - 127 pts
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Fusion Blaster
Multi Tracker
Iridium Armour

my firewarriors were not to impressive save the lucky shot on the tank so reduced them down. but now have more kroot over 2 squads so any retreating next time hopefully wont mean the loss of all my CC capability.
TROOP Units:
Fire Warriors x 6: Total - 75 pts
Shas’ui Team Leader
Bonding Knife

Kroot x 10: Total - 108 pts
Shaper
6+ Armour Save x 14

Kroot x 9: Total - 100 pts
Shaper
6+ Armour Save x 14

added on the advanced stabilisation system so he can actualy move a little and still shoot, something i accidently over looked last time until the battle began.
HEAVY Units:
Broadside: Total - 90 pts
Shas’ui Team Leader
Smart Missile System
Multi Tracker
Advanced Stabilisation System

TOTAL: 500 pts

Va're'x Campaign Battle #1 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #2 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #3 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #4 ---Va're'x Campaign Battle #5 --- Va're'x Campaign Battle #6
Old 14 Mar 2010, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good report. However the one thing I would ask is could you add in the army lists if you can remember them?

I find personally that it helps me understand the battle a bit more.

Apart from that its good and I like the fluff you did.

- Will
Old 14 Mar 2010, 17:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

2 quick thing.

1) Never post individual cost for unit and upgrade, just the total cost of the unit. It's a matter of respecting Games workshop IP and to avoid getting into legal suit for copyright breach.

2) Some units are expensive for nothing:
- A Shas'O in a 500 point game is usually consider a waste of precious points. And the multitracker was hardwired I hope.
- The Kroot shaper and especially the armour save are also a waste of precious points in a 500 point games. Hell I take kroot in 1000, 1500 points game and don,t give them the armour save, since I prefer the cover save provided by forested area.
- Is your multitracker on your broadside hardwired or not? If not then it is illegal.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Will of kaos: the troop count was in the deployment. i never intended to make a battle report so i didn't have a clear list of my opponents troops, what type of tank it was and what other options he took. so with that i simply stated as much detail about his troops as i could. to fit in with it and not stand out i wrote my tau units in the same way -
Quote:
Deployment:
The space marines started out with 3 tactical squads of 5 men. 4 space marines and a sergeant in each. 2 sergeants have a bolt pistol and chainsword while the third wielded a bolt pistol and power fist. All other troops held bolters. One unit started within a tank transport that had a 360’ mounted lascannon. The army was lead by a librarian.
Starting on the north edge, two units of marines, including the power fist sergeant and the librarian were based behind a high rise and wall in the north-western edge. The tank with marines started on the opposite corner, ready to outflank.

Tau had a unit of 12 bonded fire warriors and 15 kroot. 1 was a shaper and all took extra armour to get a 6+ armour save. Having already outnumbered the marines the Tau had a broadside battle suit with plasma rifles and multi tracker for some heavy support. Shas’O Va’Re’X commanded the army wielding a plasma rifle, cyclic ion blaster, multi tracker and iridium armour, granting a 2+ invulnerable save.
Starting on the south the commander took cover behind one of the buildings in the south western edge. The broadside stood near, beside a fallen tree and the fire warriors were central - ready to charge forward into the towers at the centre of the field, ready to assist on either flank. The Kroot used the infiltrate rule to enter on the eastern edge behind the high rise building, eager to pounce on the space marines that sat inside the tank.
@ Boneguard: sorry about the individual points, i will remember that.
-and yes Ive always used hardwired multi tracker where possible as it saves support system options.
-it is intresting about the shaper. i may try a battle without him and then either bolster up the kroot with a few more or possibly have a few more fire warriors, i think off the top of my head i will have an additional bonded fire warrior squad of 6...an interesting thought indeed...

Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Bonkers
@ Will of kaos: the troop count was in the deployment. i never intended to make a battle report so i didn't have a clear list of my opponents troops, what type of tank it was and what other options he took. so with that i simply stated as much detail about his troops as i could. to fit in with it and not stand out i wrote my tau units in the same way -
Quote:
Deployment:

Thanks, I must have missed that part some how, or not read it very well.

- Will
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Bonkers
@ Boneguard: sorry about the individual points, i will remember that.
-and yes Ive always used hardwired multi tracker where possible as it saves support system options.
-it is intresting about the shaper. i may try a battle without him and then either bolster up the kroot with a few more or possibly have a few more fire warriors, i think off the top of my head i will have an additional bonded fire warrior squad of 6...an interesting thought indeed...
No problem, thus the friendly reminder it's an often made mistake by new member, especially if they use a army builder program.

For the Hard-wired stuff it,s always a good idea to clearly indicate it on your list, so that people have a clear idea of what it is and avoid you being called a cheater during a tournement.

As long as your second kroot unit is brought to 10, it should be fine.

And against certain foe, smaller team of fire warrior but in greater number is the best option.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 05:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Don't know why but it took me a while to read this one. Nice job for your first report though. I liked the fluff a lot, but what will the colony do now that the Imperium has found them?

Couple things I noticed in the battle; your Shas'O should have been insta killed by that powerfist wound he took. Why were you out of range with the plasma rifle when the CIB was in range? I would have set up the fire warriors somewhere in cover where you could take advantage of their long range, and not move them around so much.

Looking forward to the next report.

Onto the list:
* Shapers are not worth taking in small games, and the 6+ armor is never worth it, just get more kroot with the points.
* A Shas'O is too expensive in such a small game, just take a Shas'el with TA
* There's no need to bond the fire warriors in such small numbers.
* I'd give the XV88 a shield drone so you can live through at least one lascannon shot.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote