Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WAARGH Grumgutz vs. Flying Mech IG (1850, 3/7/10) in "Vengeance Rematch!"
Old 09 Mar 2010, 23:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default WAARGH Grumgutz vs. Flying Mech IG (1850, 3/7/10) in "Vengeance Rematch!"

WAARGH Grumgutz vs. Flying Mech IG (1850, 3/7/10) in "Vengence Rematch!"

Hi All,
Yes, it's another Grumgutz.
And IG is back with... a much different list. It's a doozy, and something to worry about.
I bring back the same list though, with Wingnut, Lorilune, and a lot of hope that I can pull something out before being shot off the board.
The results are umm... interesting.
As usual, usual caveats dealing with the thing that is VASSAL. Real photos will be back soon, don't worry
Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S. As always, C&C is greatly appreciated.

WAARGH Grumgutz Alternate 66 "Hot Dakka!!!"(1850pts): 78 Infantry, 3 Walkers, 2 Vehicles; 11 KPs
Big Mek Wingnut (Big Mek w/KFF)
Ex-Farseer Lorilune, AKA Big Louie (Weirdboy w/Warphead upgrade)
Nobzx7 w/Dokta Chop, PKsx3, BCsx3, Kombi-Skorchasx2, WAARGH Banner, Bosspole (BW Ded. Transport)
Lootasx10
Shootazx25 w/PK Nob, Rokkitsx2
Shootazx25 w/PK Nob, Rokkitsx2
BigToof (DeffDread w/Skorchasx2, counts as Troop)
Da Beast (BW w/Deffrolla, Armor Plates, RPJ, Big Shoota; Ded Transport)
Flash Gitzx9 w/Painboy Redsaw, More Dakka, Shootier, Blastas
Killa Kansx2 w/Grotzookas
Da Big Red Cheez (BW w/Ram, RPJ, Killkannon)

Flying Mech IG List (1850pts) 54 Infantry, 9 Vehicles; 15 KPs
Command Squad w/ Medic, Plasma Gunsx3, Carapace Armor in an EA Chimera (All Chims are HF for HB)
Psyker Battle Squad (Pyskersx8, Overseer) in EA Chimera
Vetsx10 w/Meltax3 in an EA Chimera
Vetsx10 w/Meltax3 in an EA Chimera
Vetsx10 w/Meltax3
Vetsx10 w/Meltax3
Vendetta
Vendetta
LR Executioner w/EA, SS Plasma
LR Demolisher w/EA, SS HBolters, Lascannon
Manticore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-Farseer Lorilune snorted derisively, watching the Mon-Keigh base from the top of her Battlewagon. The fleeing Tank from their last battle had made a beeline straight to their camp, and Lorilune was not pleased by what she saw. The Orks needed fuel and supplies to make their trek back, which the Mon-Keigh's base had in substantial amounts, but they had something that irritated her to no end: Mon-Keigh air-transports.

Known as "Valkyries," "Vendettas" or something else that was supposed to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents, Lorilune knew them well. They had come into fashion just as she was captured by the Orks, and they didn't impress her. Being once of the Saim-Hann, she knew Skimmer technology, and the huge, noisy, burly looking things that barely kept themselves in the air weren't impressive. The fact that the Mon-Keigh were CLEARLY trying to imitate their superiors didn't help matters either. However, the Mon-Keigh couldn't help but seem to compare their primitive machines with the sleek perfection that was Eldar technology, and with jackanape arrogance, declared that their machines were superior.

She gritted her teeth. It didn't help that the Orks were apparently in full agreement.

"Oi! Louie! You see dem flying wagons?"

Big Mek Wingnut was beside himself. He'd seen a few of the Hummie planes before, but this was a whole camp of them flying in, out and around. They were looking for the Orks, who were keeping quiet (for Orks) off to one side in a secluded hill overlooking the base.

Wingnut smirked, watching the big, beautiful flying things zipping around.
"I fink, yep, dat's da ones with da Big Guns!"

The other Orks nodded in agreement. The runty hummies did one thing well, and that was make big guns for the Orks to loot!

"Yes, I can see them. Big, ponderous, inefficient. It's a wonder they don't make the craft plummet just by their weight alone."

Wingnut smirked. Yep. Big Guns. Even Louie had to admit that.
The Big Mek paused as an idea bubbled up to the surface of his thoughts.
"Uh, Louie? How's we gonna be able to get in dere if them flying Wagons is zippin' around? Da Battlewagons is hard as anyfing up front, but well, da backside's a bit more weedy if you get my drift."

Lorilune sighed. She had been pondering that as well. Clearly, the Orks would last a few microseconds if the Skimmers could get a bead on them. The Orks didn't seem to understand that maneuverability was just as (if not more) important than firepower, but the Ex-Farseer understood that well.

She thought, pacing a bit. She had dealt with rival factions who had more transports in the past, but it required a tactical advantage. Something that could somehow distract the opposition. Something that would cause them to overreach themselves and then be smited for their ineptitude. But what could that be...

"I like dem flying guys."

Lorilune turned in irritation, and saw the huge, ponderous form of DeffDread BigToof. The enormous Dread was poking it's head over the Wagons, trying to get a view of the flying vehicles.

"Dey's pretty keen. Just like dem Panzees, but bigger!"

The Orks all nodded in agreement. Lorilune's eyebrow wagged in irritation, and she was about to say something... Then inspiration hit, and an all-too-familiar Eldar smirk crossed her face...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commander Vasily Romanov poured himself the last of the ReCaf. It wasn't a good night. Or a good day, or a good last couple of days. With the loss of the Commissar, the rest of the army was more relaxed, but discipline was at an all-time low. He tried to instill some kind of order into his troops, but the Veterans, who were all more experienced than him, rarely payed attention.

Already tales of Vasily's defeat were spreading like wildfire, and more and more troops were muttering talk of pulling back or hiding further in the valleys.

Vasily wiped some sweat from his hands. It didn't help that the nightmares weren't stopping. He still dreamed of the men's screams as they were roasted alive by that enormous Ork Dreadnaught, and the huge, unstoppable monster kept following Vasily when he closed his eyes.

Perhaps it would be good to pull back, disperse the men, somehow try and get away. But without his leadership, things would fall apart, insurrections might happen, and whatever chance they had to try and stem the Orks would fail. He didn't know what he could do against such overwhelming odds, but it was only a matter of time before reinforcements came...

He sighed. At least it made himself feel better saying that over and over...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Wow, someone really re-worked their list. Man, this one's going to be hard. I've always had a problem with Valkryies, and Vendettas are even worse! He had them both proxied, but it was clear that he was going to use them to give me Lascannon hell. Hmm, need a plan, and to stick with it, no matter what...

Mission: Command and Control
Setup: Dawn of War
Terrain: Jungle (ooh!)

Setup: Well, this was an interesting one. Two big ruins were placed, one in the back, one in the center, two on what would be Ork's side, and a lot of trees and a small ruin on what would be the IG side.

IG won the roll to go first, and took maybe two seconds to decide to give the Orks the side with little cover. (why does this always happen like this?)

Two Chimeras went down behind the big center ruin, with the Command Squad Chimera behind them. He put his objective near the far left corner of the board.

At this point, I think I had him a bit rattled as he dared me to bring out "that damned Dread." Hmmm, while I do like BigToof, it's nice to see that he's made an impression elsewhere...

And that's when a plan started to form...

Well, I put BigToof square down in the right little patch of ruins. And behind the ruins I put the Ork objective... Oh wow, target acquired!

Picture Caption: Ok, you lot, come get me!

The Orks try to seize the initiative but fail (Hmm, I think that's now 0/70 odd attempts now...).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vasily hit the entrance to the base running, pushing aside some of the men. He panted, listening carefully. There it was again, some kind of strange howling sound. There was a sound of trees being crushed, as if some sort of enormous beast was prowling around.

He had all of his men on alert, and all of their vehicles were ready. Whatever it was, man or beast, it was going to be in the shock of their lives... as soon as they could see it.

Vasily paused as the howling died down a bit.

"'Ey? Do I start sayin' it... Oh, OK!"

The men looked at each other in confusion. That sounded like... an Ork?

"Uh... LISTEN UP YOU MEASLY LIL' GROTZ! Heh heh, measly grotz, dat's funny... Wha? Oh right.
I'Z DA INVIN... INVUL... WHA? Oh, right! UH... TOUGH AS TEEF DEFFDREAD BIGTOOF!
YOUZ GITZ DONE RUN, BUT YOU AIN'T RUN FAR ENOUGH!"

Vasily broke out into a cold sweat. That was it. That was that thing! It had followed him! But how?!

"YOUZ FINK YOU KAN HIDE IN DA DARK, BUT YOUZ IS GONNA GET KRUMPED! COME AN GET ME IF YA KAN!... Wha? But ain't that gonna make 'em come and... Uh, right... SO PRAY TA YER WEEDY GIT IN DAT STOOPID CHAIR, CUZ I'M COMIN' FER YA!"

That last bit made Vasily straighten up in anger. He looked at his men, who obviously felt the same way. The Ork had dared to insult the Emperor! And he was all alone in the dark! Why were they afraid? Were they children?

"Guardsmen. Mount up. We're going to find that thing and bring it down. Commendations to the squad that brings that thing down."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1: IG
True to his word for vengeance, all the heavy hitters come out on the right side. Both of the Vendettas fly out, and the Lemun Russ Executioner rolls out as well to the right.

The Psyker Chimera (oh, I hate those guys!) went down the center, next to the Demolisher. And last, but not least, the Manticore tried to roll into the ruins on the left and immobilized itself...

Deciding to be gracious, I let the Manticore roll into the ruin and be immobilized rather than argue it should be removed. After all, I have plans for it!

The right-most Chimera rolls forward, lights up BigToof who then takes a horde of Plasma Cannon shots, Multi-Laser and 3 Lascannons. I think he misses once... I make all the saves but one pen, but it's enough to wreck 'Toof (sniff...)
Enthused that the "big bad" Dread is dead, he hands the turn over to me.

Picture Caption: The mighty have fallen...

Turn 1: Orks
Oh, look, everything I was worried about is now on the right side... Hmmm....

The Battlewagons, Kans, Lootas, and Shootas all go down on the left side, the right-most shoota mob slowing inching it's way toward the Ork objective... More importantly, the Battlewagons nicely turn to the right, presenting a much harder target to all of those Lascannons.

Lorilune fires up a Warpath. (uh, thanks?)

Picture Caption: And now, we'll just go on the OTHER side then...

Turn 2: IG
I think he just realized the problem with his setup, as he has both Vendettas zoom up trying for side-shots on Da Beast (good luck with that ), while also moving closer towards the Ork objective. (Hmm, it's a bit early for that, guess he wants to stop me from slowly inching in).

Everyone shuffles around a bit, the Executioner is the only one that tries to put the pedal down and move to the left, but doesn't get that far...

IG Shooting is as usual, pretty painful. Luckily, the Manticore hits completely off target, taking down a small number of Orks. Some scattered Multi-Laser fire drops a single Ork. (I love KFF).

The Vendettas try their luck, but is only able to get a glance. It goes right through the KFF, but fails to do anything other than shake the Wagon. (Hmm, going to have to get that thing adjusted...)

The Demolisher fires and misses it's Lascannon. The Psykers warm up and try to punch through the Wagon's armor, but again, fails to penetrate (wow, they really don't like Da Beast, do they?).
A bit demoralized with the shooting this turn, IG hands it over to the Orks.

Picuture Caption: Re-Deploy! Re-Deploy now!

Turn 2: Orks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Louie? What do ya fink yer..."

Those were the last words Lorilune heard just before she teleported her squad. She looked around at the large Orks who were momentarily mystified that they weren't in their Battlewagon anymore. They looked around, shrugging as they saw the exposed backsides of two Vendettas!

Lorilune chuckled. Silly Mon-Keigh! Falling for the same trick twice!

"Gentlemen? ... Yes, that means you. Pick one, any one. Bring it down."

Lorilune smirked. It was all too easy...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Orks continue to creep forward and to the right.

Da Beast rolls into the Chimera in front of it and wrecks it.

Shooting was... interesting.

Louie... ok, this is becoming a habit or something, she rolls 'Eadbanger... and... wait for it...
The re-roll gets 'Ere We Go. Oh, no. How... It... Need to talk to that girl some more...
She DS's again OFF target and lands behind both of the Vendettas. (Good!)
Right out in the open where the Executioner has a clear bead on her. (BAD!)

The Flash Gitz figure that they won't get lucky twice, and unload into the back of the Vendetta closest to them, exploding it and taking down about half the Vets. The Vets are fine, other than that.

The Lootas look out, and wave at the Manticore that is nicely sitting in the ruin... without anything more substantial than a few pebbles in front of it.

The IG player realizes this only after the Lootas fire and explode it! (I was actually hoping he'd roll up the Psykers so I could Loota and then Kill-Kannon them to death, but oh well...)

Da Big Red Cheez fires at the right Chimera and gets a decent pen (bless Ordinance 2d6!) which skips though the cover save and immobilzes the vehicle.

The Kans, now realizing there's not much for them to do, run forwards.

And, last, but not least, the right Shootas run in, getting very close to the Ork objective.

Picture Caption: LOUIE! What are you?! Gah! Bad, Eldar, bad!

BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2010, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: WAARGH Grumgutz vs. Flying Mech IG (1850, 3/7/10) in "Vengeance Rematch!"

Turn 3: IG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorilune heard the crackle of energy before the rest of the Orks. Not bothering to turn, she leapt behind the largest Flash Gitz she could find, bracing herself for the blasts. A huge amount of burning plasma filled the area, and Lorilune heard the Orks around her scream... and then go limp. The explosions seemed to take forever to stop, but after a few moments, she ventured a look, poking her head out of the mass of burnt Ork flesh. A few of the Gitz still lived, but it was clear they were in a fire zone!

Stupid Wingnut! she snarled to herself. What was he doing convincing her to leap out like that?

Not bothering to wait for the Orks to try and rally, the Ex-Farseer glanced around for the nearest friendly Orks (which were some distance away) and ran as fast as her Eldar feet could carry her...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, wow, Vengeancex2. That much was clear.

The Vets get out of their immobilzed Chimera and start to hoof it to the IG objective.

The Executioner (right aply named), moves out to get a clear shot on the Gitz.

The Chimeras sort of shuffle around (again), and the Demolisher gets into position to try and stop the Wagons...

One Chimera decides to try it's luck with suicide melta and zooms forward, deploying it's vets.

The Vendetta, perhaps realizing that if the Ork blob gets to the Ork objective, moving them off will be nigh-impossible, boosts onto the Ork objective, nicely contesting it. (I'm actually not really sure why he did this, I asked later, and he said he didn't know either... It was dramatic I suppose.)
Shooting is well... painful.

The Executioner, with clear LOS fires at Louie and her crew! The hits wander a bit (thank Mork), but in the end, the Gitz are left with 9 plasma wounds (ow... You know your models are clearly loved when your opponent punctuates each shot with the word "DIE!", Still that's FAR better than average...). I ask for cover possibilities, but he laughs (It's a good natured snorty laugh, but still, I had to try...)

So, four Gitz down. Then the Melta gun guys who had just been knocked free from their Vendetta open up (Oh, yeah, them, I almost forgot...). They fry one Gitz (whew), and their Lasguns well... uh... they're pretty lights... yeah...

Louie and her crew lose their gumption and run! (wow, this so did not work like last time...)
On the other side of the board, a few more Orks are downed by Multi-Laser (hmm, those things don't do too much, do they?).

The Demolisher Cannon fires at Da Beast and scatters again off target, and the Lascannon fails to penetrate.

The Psykers again try their luck at Tankbusting (not much else is in LOS), but fail to do any meaningful harm...

And the suicide melta vets fire in, but fail to get through the KFF! (whew)

Picture Caption: It's not over yet!

Turn 3: Orks
Well, Louie and her crew are too close to the melta-Vets and their crater, so they hoof it backwards... getting perilously close to the OTHER Vendetta. (Man, you just can't win some days...)

The Battlewagons have finally met up with the massed Tanks, and roll forward.

Da Beast unleashes the Nobs. (The IG player looked actually pleased about this. I guess he doesn't realize what's about to happen...)

The Shootas all move forward/to the right, slowly spreading out and lining up a possible assault...

The Kans and left Shootas move towards the suicide meltas, ensuring that they won't be bothering anyone again...

And down to shooting.

Well, I was hoping Louie would make me something nice before she leaves the board, and does she ever!

A Zzap pops up, and I whole-heartedly take it. The Flash Gitz fire, but fail to do anything (including luckily, wounding themselves), but Louie melts the heck out of the Vendetta, immobilizing it...

Hmm, wait, it boosted last turn... Boost + Immoblized = CRASH POSITIONS!

The Vendetta crashes, and the Vets pile out, none the worse for the ride. They wisely position on the far side of the Vendetta, again feeling they're out of range... (Hmm...)

Da Big Red Cheez fires it's Killkannon and it lands square on the Vets in the back, who go to ground, but lose a few anyway...

The Lootas fire and shake the Psyker Chimera. And that's when Wingnut calls the WAARGH!

The Nobz run forward, getting close to the Demolisher, the Psyker Chimera and the Command Squad Chimera while nicely getting within range of the Vets in the back.

The Shootas on the right get a decent jump as well, and go around the burnt out Vendetta, nicely in the face of the Vets.

The Kans fire and "accidentally" hit a bunch of the suicide vets while aiming at their ride, cutting a swath through them, and nicely opening up a hole for the Kans to assault through.

Assault was... well... ugly.

The Nobz run in PAST the Chimera line (there was a space one model wide between the tanks, the IG player first called me on it, saying that I couldn't do that unless I was assaulting both of the tanks... He doesn't know me very well, does he? ) hitting the Vets, the Demolisher, the Psyker Chimera and the CS Chimera! (It's nice they're all so close!)

They wreck the Psyker Chimera (Darn Ld10 guys aren't pinned though), immobilize the CS Chimera (good enough!), and wreck the Demolisher. They also down a few of the Vets, who do a flesh wound back to one of the Nobz.

The Vets then roll for morale... and make it! (Good job guys!)

The Nobz then pile around the Vets, and the IG player realizes that he's in a very big problem all of a sudden.

As to the other battle next to the downed Vendetta...

20 odd-Shootas vs. 10 Vets... Well, the Vets down an Ork before being wiped out.

The Shootas consolidate back to the Ork objective.

And the Kans and left Shootas take down the suicide Vets and their Chimera (barely). Whew, that's a lotta krumpin'...

Picture Caption: Ok, that was... vicious...

Turn 4: IG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sir? Are you sure about this?"

The other Guardsmen looked at Vasily a bit worried. Leaving the confines of their tank, although now immoblized, didn't seem safe, but then again, neither did staying inside...

Vasily looked at the men around him.

C'mon, he told himself. Say something inspiring, something majestic. Something that'll make them fight like wild animals.

"... It's better than dying in here?"

The Vets looked at each other, sighed and nodded.

Vasily cringed. He'll get the hang of it, he told himself, if the Orks would give him half a chance...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a taunting, hearty Eldar laugh, Louie (with a 1,1!) makes her morale check and moves out of range of the Vets meltas and the LOS of the Executioner.

The IG player is just stunned I think at this point, but tries to make up for it.

The Psykers move forward, getting ready to do... something. The CS squad actually disembarks, and run out hopefully planning to take down the Nobz... (ooh, good luck there)

The Executioner rolls forward, getting a bead on the side armor of Da Beast.

Nobody does much else.

The shooting is pretty well... meaningless, except for the Executioner deviating and wounding a Nob (aha! IG trickery!)

The Command Squad assaults! (wha?)

The Nobz finish off the Vets, and notice that something is... poking them? They look over at the Command Squad that is trying desperately to jab them with bayonettes.

One of the Nobz gets a little too curious and gets a flesh wound for getting too close.

The Nob roars and raises his Power Klaw, taking down two of them.

The CS makes it's morale check, and stay stuck in.

Turn 4: Orks
Hmm, well, almost done, just have to Deff-Roll to clean up a few tanks.

Da Beast rolls in and wrecks the CS Chimera.

The Shootas move up. Louie and the Flash Gitz run deep into cover, as far as and far as possible.

Shooting starts as you might think, with the Lootas opening up... and hitting 10 times. Hmm, 10 shots, 10 psykers, no cover save. (ouch).

The Shootas and Kans run a bit, finally getting within sight of the IG objective.

The assault is again, kind of sad, with the CS squad actually doing two wounds, but FNP negates them both.

The Nobz draw straws to see who gets to cut down the hummies, but instead, democracy falls to a rapid onslaught of Power Klaw-based violence.

And with that, the IG player calls it.

Picture Caption: And that is that!

Result: Ork Victory!

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, just... wow. I can't believe the Orks pulled this one out. I suppose it might be that my opponent wasn't that sure what to do with the Vendettas, and he got pretty shaken after Lorilune blew up one of them.

A moment of silence for 'Toof, who was sacrificed like all good Eldar catspaws to allow the Horde to come out victorious... (Don't worry, he'll be back! )

As for the others...

Louie.... What are you... Gah! Women. Eldar. Warpheads. Whatever. I'm just so lucky that the Gitz have two wounds each otherwise I'd be in real trouble... Still, she pretty much castrated both Vendettas herself, what with the mass rear shooting by the Gitz and the Zzap... Although I suppose she didn't get off scot-free this time...

As for the rest of the Ladz, well, the Deff-Rolla again claimed it's bloody toll, but the Nobz also just... fell all over everything.

It's amazing what a little bit of space in a tank line will do, but boy, did it ever let them do so much damage.
In a way, I'm sort of glad that the Psykers were there, as they made me stay in the Wagons more than I usually would, and it was actually surprising to see the CS get out and try to do some good. It, umm..., didn't pay off, but it was refreshing to see the attempt...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingnut looked around, watching the Hummies run (again). He shrugged. The base looked like it had plenty of gear, and he was already working on fixing up BigToof, who was slagged up pretty well, but no more than usual.

He whistled to himself and heard the crackle before it hit him.

A jolt of greenish energy hit the Mek who howled and turned around. He saw Lorilune, covered in burnt Ork flesh, panting and looking well... kind of irked.

"Uh, hi Louie. Whazzup?"

"What... is... up?" Lorilune snarled. "I just spent the majority of the battle tunneled under the corpse of a particularly loathsome smelling Ork, that's what's up!"

"Uh, so youz ok then? I figgered as much when I saw dem planes go down. Shame though. Dey blew up real good."

Lorilune paused, smiled and said, "Yes, I suppose they did."

"Dat's da problem with Hummies. Dey always blow up real good. Panzees wouldn't do dat."

Lorilune paused looking at the Big Mek curiously. "They... wouldn't. No. So you... admit that the Eldar are superior?"

Wingnut paused for a second and shrugged, "Yup. Looks like."

A broad smile crossed Lorilune's face, but then she looked down in disgust at herself. Muttering something, she stormed off looking for something to clean herself off with.

Wingnut looked up. Hmm, she left before he could say somefin' about how da Panzees don't blow up so much as make weedy squeakin' noises, and how da Orks would be just beatin' the weedy Wagons with Power Klaws and not botherin' with wastin' all that dakka... But gotta leave somefin' to talk about later...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:01   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: WAARGH Grumgutz vs. Flying Mech IG (1850, 3/7/10) in "Vengeance Rematch!"

Valks are aircrafts, not skimmers despite the game mechanics. The comparison should be made between it and a Vampire or a Void Dragon rather than a falcon or Wave Serpent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Valks are aircrafts, not skimmers despite the game mechanics. The comparison should be made between it and a Vampire or a Void Dragon rather than a falcon or Wave Serpent.
Thanks for the comment!
I actually didn't know that Eldar made aircraft that weren't skimmers.
I'm actually not familiar with the Vampire or Void Dragon vehicles (and couldn't find them easy in Lexicanum). Do they actually look like Imperial aircraft?

Best,
-BT
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:04   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
I actually didn't know that Eldar made aircraft that weren't skimmers.
I'm actually not familiar with the Vampire or Void Dragon vehicles (and couldn't find them easy in Lexicanum). Do they actually look like Imperial aircraft?
Well here are the pics from forgeworld.

Eldar Vampire raider (a rather huge-dyi transport, similar to a Thunderhawk)

Eldar Vampire Hunter (Titan Hunter/Heavy bomber)(Marauder aircraft-equivalent)

Eldar Phoenix (Also known as the Void Dragon only void dragons are specific to the Void Dragon corsair group, as their armament are slightly different)(Ground attack and support aircraft)

Eldar Nightwing (Thunderbolt/Lightning-equivalent)(Interceptor and Air-superiority fighter)

A Valkyrie is a Blackhawk/Huey in the Imperial arsenal while the Vulture is the Apache/Cobra of the Imperials. Nonetheless, due to it not having any single anti-grav plates in any way whatsoever, a Valkyrie is never ever a Skimmer. If you see the model correctly at the landing gears near the wings, there are mini thrusters which give it its VTOl abilities. Opsrey would be good to measure up, but from the role of the Valkryrie and its Vendetta variant, it is more like a Blackhawk/huey since they both can carry transport and do carry some close-air support capabilities.

Comparing any of these to a Eldar aircraft is akin to comparing a fighter to a helicopter.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You know, this is why I love TO
I don't think any other site (especially mods) would go out of their way like this.

Well, enough complimenting.

Nod, I can see how the term "skimmer" is entirely off. I was just trying to put it in Lorilune's terms, as it seems that Eldar haven't used anything resembling Imperial tech in well... ages. (I took it out from the BatRep )

From Lorilune's POV, I can see that all of the Mon-Keigh pitiful attempts at aeronautics just fail miserably compared to the Eldar. Even when you compare a Falcon to a Vendetta, the differences are obvious. The Falcon (if tooled with Holo-Fields and Star Engines) is substantially more maneuverable and survivable, and you know, fluff-wise sleek and quiet.
The Vendetta is the rough equivalent of the guy who brings his Hummer to a street car show because "it's big, so it's kewl." (If this sounds pretentious, c'mon, this is Eldar we're talking about )
The only thing that could possibly be more ramshackle would be something made by the Orks (Yes, I'm looking at you Fighta-Bomba!)

And that Void Dragon and Vampire are just... wow. Just wow. No wonder they're more works of art than weapons of war...

Note that this entire spiel is sort of derived from all of the Eldar players in my area grousing over the Vendetta Not so much that it was "better," but that everyone kept comparing it to Eldar Skimmers...

Again, thanks very much!

Best,
-BT
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Great battle BigToof

I was a lot more impressed with your opponent this time, which made your victory far more enjoyable for me.
This time, you honestly out shot the IG, well done
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Another great report, and good to see the unplanned teleport worked out again; though with casualties this time. I felt the same thing when I saw the Valkyrie for the first time; I must loot that. You really should get one and make a fighta bomma out of it.

Couple things:

The IG guy deployed illegally. Transports count for dawn of war deployment, so a transport and its troops count for the two troops slots. That also means the HQ can't start in a transport.

Were your flash gitz too far away from the 1st group of vendetta vets, when it was blown out of the sky, to charge them?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:35   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
And that Void Dragon and Vampire are just... wow. Just wow. No wonder they're more works of art than weapons of war...
I don't know. If you ask me, the larger eldar things go, the more fish-like they become. Their battleships tend to look like some lionfish in my opinion.

Quote:
Note that this entire spiel is sort of derived from all of the Eldar players in my area grousing over the Vendetta Not so much that it was "better," but that everyone kept comparing it to Eldar Skimmers...
Well, it's because of the rules stating that it is a skimmer. It is only logical that it tend to be compared to other skimmers.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 10 Mar 2010, 07:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Congrats on the win, Bigtoof! Although I don't think I've ever read one of your batreps where you lose. It's probably never happened, anyway.

You've inspired me to do my own battle reports, and unfortunately I don't have Vassal or a camera (right now anyway) so I'm making one on paint! I'm going to throw in some of the story, too. Don't feel like I'm copying you. You just rock ;D