Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech IG (3/3/10, 1850pts) in "Dakka vs. Dakka!"
Old 04 Mar 2010, 03:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech IG (3/3/10, 1850pts) in "Dakka vs. Dakka!"

WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech IG (3/3/10, 1850pts) in "Dakka vs. Dakka!"

Hi All, I bring another Grumgutz!
This one, still using my crazy "Hot Dakka" list with Big Mek Wingnut and Ex-Farseer Lorilune.
They're going up against IG, and yes, it's Mech IG!
Granted, not the most hardcore IG, and the player wasn't the most experienced, but he knew his stuff.
Still, an interesting themed IG list with well... a LOT of plates. LOTS.
And umm... again, apologies for the lack of real pics. Did my best with VASSAL. I know it's not exact, but did my best to try and create the proper feel for it.
Hope you all enjoy the fluff as usual!

Best,
-BT

P.S. C&C, as always, is greatly appreciated!

WAARGH Grumgutz Alternate 66 "Hot Dakka!!!"(1850pts): 78 Infantry, 3 Walkers, 2 Vehicles; 11 KPs
Big Mek Wingnut (Big Mek w/KFF)
Ex-Farseer Lorilune, AKA Big Louie (Weirdboy w/Warphead upgrade)
Nobzx7 w/Dokta Chop, PKsx3, BCsx3, Kombi-Skorchasx2, WAARGH Banner, Bosspole (BW Ded. Transport)
Lootasx10
Shootazx25 w/PK Nob, Rokkitsx2
Shootazx25 w/PK Nob, Rokkitsx2
BigToof (DeffDread w/Skorchasx2, counts as Troop)
Da Beast (BW w/Deffrolla, Armor Plates, RPJ, Big Shoota; Ded Transport)
Flash Gitzx9 w/Painboy Redsaw, More Dakka, Shootier, Blastas
Killa Kansx2 w/Grotzookas
Da Big Red Cheez (BW w/Ram, RPJ, Killkannon)

Mech IG List (1850pts) 47 Infantry, 8 Vehicles; 14 KPs
Command Squad w/PP, PW, Medic, Plasma Gunsx3, Carapace Armor, MoO in an EA Chimera (All Chims are HF for HB)
Lord Commissar w/ PP, PF, Carapace Armor
Vetsx10 w/Meltax3, Demo Doctrine in an EA Chimera
LR Executioner w/EA, SS Plasma Cannons
LR Demolisher w/EA, SS HBolters, Lascannon
Manticore

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vasily Romanov squirmed uncomfortably in his Carapace Armor in the underground PDF shelter. How had this all happened? Within a span of a few months, he had gone from being a lowly lieutenant to now being in Command of a whole armored company! Granted, it had been through the tried and true Imperial method of rank climbing by being the only one alive and talking after the end of a battle, but it was still surprising as to how much he was given charge of. Or rather, supposed to be in charge of it.

He glanced nervously at the Lord Commissar next to him. Lord Commissar Arnold "Iron" Grant joined the Company moments after Vassily was assigned, and ruled the company with an iron fist (rather literally as the man did carry around a sizable Power Fist). Although Vassily was in charge, the Commissar made it very clear that the commander should take his "suggestions" very seriously. And, if at all possible, he had gotten more serious since the Ork invasion. Grant paced constantly, scowling at the situation, and making everyone decidedly uncomfortable.
Vassily swallowed. He didn't mean for any of this to happen. He didn't mean to let the Commissar walk all over him, his men, and his army. He knew he should stand up for them, but the Commissar was just so... bowel-drenchingly frightening.

Grant had always carried around his well-notched Bolt Pistol and Power Fist, scanning the area as if looking for signs of treachery or cowardice. The fact that he used to gesticulate with the end of his pistol in his speeches had unnerved Vasily so much, he had ordered up Carapace Armor for his Command Squad. That had given him a full week's feeling of happiness until a Plasma Pistol arrived for the Commissar...

Once, Vasily looked up Grant's record, and found that a single mission had no noted major casualties, but the company had to be reformed. Thinking that odd, Vassily looked up the battle, and found that Grant had declared a good chunk of the Company as being cowardous traitors and executed them using a Baneblade. In the middle of a combat. Obviously the man held bravery in very high regard, although Vassily wished that "keeping alive" was higher up on the list. He sighed. It could have been worse. At least the Orks had stopped stomping around, and hopefully would soon leave.

The stomping of heavy boots made the Command Squad break out into a nervous sweat. They looked over and saw the Commissar looking at them. With a voice like gravel rolling over glass, he spoke:
"Commander. We're leaving. I'm not letting the Orks have this planet. We will find them and kill them all."

It wasn't a question, nor an order, but Vasily swallowed and nodded at his men, who looked at him with a mix of shock and disbelief. It was either die now, or die later, and Vasily believed in putting death off as long as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"By Khain's ruptured eye-sockets, how are we lost?!"

Big Mek Wingnut glanced over at the fuming Ex-Farseer Lorilune. Wingnut looked around.

"Well, we'z ain't lost. Really. Uh, we'z still in da trees."

Lorilune glared at him. "Yes, but WHERE in the forest? I think that's the same rocks that we passed... Oh for the love of..."

Wingnut glanced over and saw a rather familiar set of burnt out ruins. Hmm, maybe they were lost. Sort of.

"We were JUST here!" Lorilune snarled, stamping her Eldar foot against the floor of her Battlewagon.

The Big Mek screwed up an eye and thought. Hmm, they were here. They fought the Beakies. They drove around a bit. The Panzee yelled a lot. The sun went up and down a few times. And then they were back. Hmm...
"Ya don't fink it's following us, do ya?"

Lorilune hung her head. "Oh, yes, yes, that's exactly it!," she said with scalding sarcasm, "The ruins are following us... Ooh! Maybe they're haunted!"

Wingnut and the rest of the Orks looked around. Haunted? By Gork, Wingnut nodded. He knew it!

"Right ladz, get your dakka ready. We'z gotta shoot this place down. Show it to keep from bein' all sneaky like."

The rest of the Horde nodded. Shootas, skorchas and cannons were raised at the surrounding mounds of rubble.

"STOP!"

The Orks all looked at the thoroughly exasperated Lorilune. "You... complete... IDIOTS! The... the ruins are not..."

A crackling from Wingnut's talk-box interrupted the rant. Wingnut nodded. It was BigToof. He'd sent the Dread out a while ago to find out the way back. It was sort of a questionable decision, but Wingnut figured that when you had a tricky situation that you couldn't get your brain around, it was best to send someone who had very little brain to solve it. That way, they wouldn't get confused none.

"Wingnut? Youz dere?" The Deffdread's voice came out of the comm a bit excited.

"Yeah, I'z here," responded the Big Mek. "Where'z you at? You find da way back?"

There was a pause as BigToof's brain worked the fact that there were TWO questions. Both that needed SEPARATE answers. Boy, this was getting hard.
"Uh... I'z over by dat place where we'z fought Da Beakies."

Wingnut nodded, "Huh, we'z close by, you..."

"Can I have a Wagon?"

The Big Mek paused. What kind of question was that?

"'Cause dere's lots of lil' Hummies here. Dey got a lotta Wagons. Hey, I think they saw me. Huh. OI! HUMMIES! CAN I HAVE A WAGON?! YOUZ GOT..."

A sudden retort from a Demolisher Cannon cut the Deffdread off.

"Wingnut?... I fink dat means no."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Game thoughts: Huh, now this is an interesting list. A lot of vets, Chimeras, and a Commissar? It has the usual meltas and a LOT of Demo charges. But there's also an Executioner, Demolisher and a Master of Ordinance?
Wow, that's a lot of shooty. And a lot of potential big plates. The Manticore is always a thorn in my side, and the fact that he has plenty of boxes to castle up with does not make me feel better.
Those Lemun Russes are going to be a problem, and a full mech list is just... going to be painful. Just hope to try and survive and get down there to try and shoot him out of his position. I wish the Flash Gitz were S7... S6 is going to just trickle off of AR12...
Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be annihilation?

Mission: Command and Control (Gah!)
Setup: Dawn of War (Ok, I feel slightly better about this)
Terrain: Ruins and Trees

Setup: Well, again, another board of Ruins and Trees with a big ruin in the center, and three more scattered near the edges of the board with a good deal of forest scattered about. (Note: To those long-time readers, this is the same board as the Calgar game. I hope it'll bring me good luck, although that big ruin in the center is going to either be a blessing or a curse, it's gone both ways with me at times...)

The Orks won the roll to go first (wahoo!). They gladly take it, fearing an Alpha Strike of epic porportions. Granted it meant that I'd be last when it came to contesting, but I was hoping I'd live that long...
After some thought, I put BigToof in the center of the big ruin, and that was it!
And in true Ork fashion, declare that everything will be coming on first turn.

IG was a bit surprised that a Dread could be a Troop, but let it go.
After carefully measuring out the 18" (and perhaps not deeming 'Toof to be worthy of destruction), the IG player decides not to deploy anything, but have everything roll on first turn (IG not pulling out reserves? That's a first...)!

Picture Caption: Oi! Anybody herez? I fink I saw someone out dere!

IG tries to steal the initiative, but fails...

Turn 1: Orks
The Orks all come on first turn, with the Battlewagons riding right down the center into the ruins (luckily not throwing any axles), the Kans to the right, the Lootas to the left into cover, and both Shoota units down the flanks. BigToof runs up behind a wall, waiting for Ninja Dread action!
I think Louie made a Frazzle... (Down, girl, keep it for later!)

Picture Caption: When in doubt, go straight down the middle!

Turn 1: IG
IG rolls everything on, the Manticore going in the left corner (hmm, didn't see that one coming ), and everyone else castles up in the center, with the five chimeras making a good castle behind some trees.
The Lemun Russ tanks, though, bold as brass, drive straight up the left-middle of the board out in the open, daring the Orks to waste shots on their AR14! The Executioner in particular is placed directly across from the Lootas... I had a feeling I would be having a lot fewer Deffgun toting boyz pretty soon...

Picture Caption: I wish I could say I was surprised, but... Hmm... Lootas, I'm sorry guys... It looks so bad for you.

Turn 2: Orks
Everyone moves forward some more, except BigToof, who just waits.

Louie powers up and rolls a Headbanger (whoa!). I use the Warphead re-roll and out comes... 'Ere We Go... Oh no.
(If anyone wonders why I facepalm whenever this one comes up, you simply have to do the math of: Tightly packed group of Orks + S8 templates = Dead 400-odd points of Greenskins)

I place Lorilune out in what is hopefully safe DS area, and the IG player smirks as the dice deviates her towards the IG lines! (gah!) After measuring, we find (the IG player checks just to make sure), that she hits right behind the Executioner, dangerously close to the edge! Well... at least she didn't go off the board...

Shooting:
Figuring this might be her last chance to do anything, Louie fires (with a lot of AP1!) at the Executioner and immobilizes, takes the turrent off, and shakes it!

And with a completely randomly scattered shot, Da Big Red Cheez manages to fire and hit a Chimera on the far right (The shot bounced around a bit, I had to sit something in that parking lot) and stun it (it was actually on side armor, but out of LOS!).

Picture Caption: Louie! What does it mean, keep both arms inside the ride at all times?

Turn 2: IG
Nobody moves that much at all, except the Demolisher who rolls forward to make sure it has LOS to the Battlewagons (Hmm, I think they forgot about someone...)

One of the Chimeras moves out to zap Louie. They stay inside though, trusting to the Multi-Laser to take down the Orks.

Shooting has the Manticore opening up with three (!) shots! Two hit dead on. One scatters too far forward to do anything than kick up dirt. Two easy pens, but the KFF stops them... (I think my heart just skipped a beat)

The Master of Ordinance then opens up and fires... Unfortunately, without LOS, it travels WAY off target, hitting not very much but splattering some dirt on the Kans.

A bit irked, but not yet done with the firepower (he's STILL shooting plates at me?), the Demolisher fires, fails to do anything with its Lascannon, but hits square on with the Demolisher round. The KFF buckles at this, and the round gets through...

He rolls the pen shot and gets... a 3!

I'm about to get the guys out of the Wagon, when I realize that it's not AP1 (Thank Mork SOMETHING in the IG list isn't...), so Da Beast is just immobilized... really far away... That's not good.

The Chimera shooting at Louie is a bit suprised when all of the Multi-Lasers hit and do six (!) wounds, but the big Orks save them all! (Heck, I've done more wounds to myself with Get Hots!)
There is some scattered shooting with Multi-Lasers to the right, but they manage to only shake one Kan...

Picture Caption: Well... that's... not so good. At least Louie's ok...

Turn 3: Orks
The Flash Gitz and Louie are amazed they're not dusted (I was so worried, he might zip up and throw the Demo Charge), and then move towards the Manticore.

The Orks continue to move forward, the shootas and Kans coming down the sides, and Da Big Red Cheez shuffling forward.

And BigToof springs into action! The IG player is floored that he totally forgot about the Dread, who gets a great difficult terrain test, and scampers out towards the Demolisher.

The Lootas realize that a few of the Lootas can see the Chimera firing at Louie, and it's on side armor!
They fire, and despite getting a good number of hits, the wily Chimera makes all of it's saves, and nothing happens...

Still, Louie and the Gitz sight down at the Manticore, who, nicely enough, didn't rotate (perhaps figuring that the Orks would be dead). They fire and wreck the Manticore! (Wow, that's a BIG relief. They can run now or whatever...)

The Killkannon fires again, hitting another Chimera (wow, it's great when they're so tightly packed!) getting a shaken (shrug).

The Kans and Shootas fire and hit a Chimera, getting a lucky shaken as well...

Everyone else runs forwards...

In the assault, BigToof decides to play "Kick da Kan" with the Demolisher, wrecking it!
Oh, and Wingnut fixes Da Beast! (The IG player does a double take at this point. Target reaquired, mayhaps?)

Picture Caption: Now that's more like it! Wagons gettin' krumped everywhere!

Turn 3: IG
The IG shift around a bit, really worried that the Orks are getting so close, but there's nowhere to run!

The left-most Chimera tries to back up, but gets stuck in the trees!

The Chimera in the back sniping at Louie moves forward a bit, but is unwilling to go too far and expose itself completely to the Lootas. They stop, hoping to be within Melta range.

The Vets get out of the immobilized Chimera and look out at BigToof, readying their Meltas.

Shooting is pretty spot on, but the Flash Gitz aren't harmed by the Multi-laser and the Chimera is JUST in range of hitting the Flash Gitz with the meltas... However, mediocre melta rolls again means that only one manages to kill one of the big Orks (yay!).

The Master of Ordinance tries his luck to take out the Battlewagon, but must have stuttered a bit on the coordinates, as the shot goes completely wide.

The center Chimera snipes at the Kans a bit, but fails to do any damage this time.

The disembarked Vet Squad fires out and hits BigToof, who is fortunately partially obscured by the nearby foliage, but only shear off one of his CCW! (It's ok, still have a spare!)

Oh, and the badly hurt Executioner fires it's Plasma Cannons at the Lootas, but the Lootas manage to keep their heads down well enough...

Picture Caption: I have no idea how you're still up 'Toof, but keep going!

BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2010, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech IG (3/3/10, 1850pts) in "Dakka vs. Dakka!"

Turn 4: Orks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigToof was happily playing with his new Wagon, which although now slightly on fire, still rolled on it's treads when he pushed it. Making "VROOM VROOM" sounds, the big Deffdread was quite happy... That was until a massive wave of heat hit him on the side. BigToof looked over. Did he forget to shut the Skorchas off again? No, no, he looked down and saw one of his arms burnt up. Huh, dat's weird, he thought. He then looked over and saw a bunch of little Hummies that had popped out of somewhere.
"Oi! Youz guys! What do ya think yer doin'?"

The hummies didn't say anything and were reloading their guns for another shot. A few were firing already with their little guns that shot out pretty red lights. Aww... they wanted to play too.

'Toof nodded, but then he saw something even better than lil' Hummies! Another Wagon! And this one wasn't on fire yet! He ran over, but the Hummies wouldn't get out of the way.

The Dread hopped up and down. "Hey! Beat it! We'z play another..." The hummies were reading their guns and one even had a big sack that he was twirling around. Hmmm... that was probably bad.

Looking around, 'Toof spied the big red button marked with a big Burny fire. He pushed it and two big gouts of flame blocked his vision for a moment. The hummies screamed a lot (they tended to do that), and then, when the fire cleared, there were no more hummies, but just the Tank! The Dread smashed forwards over the burnt and crispy remains of the Veterans. Maybe if he was really careful with this one, it wouldn't catch on fire quite so quickly!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now everyone is just so wonderfully close!

Both Wagons and the Shootas move forwards. (I think about this time, the IG player realizes that his flanks are in trouble) Even Louie and the Flash Gitz close in.

The Lootas down that pesky Chimera that is shooting at Louie & Co., exploding it and taking down 7 of the Vets. OUCH.

And the Flash Gitz fire in and take down 2 more the Vets, leaving only the Demo Charge Vet...

Da Big Red Cheez, Shootas, and Kans manage to fire out and again shake the rest of the front Chimeras (wow, those things are tough! I'm only getting glances!)

And BigToof rolls in, flicking on BOTH of his Skorchas. He fires, aiming at the Chimera, but "accidently" catches the Guardsmen in front of the Tank (I love you Skorcha). They are toasted to a man. The big Dread then proceeds to smash the Chimera, wrecking it (and more importantly getting into KFF range).
(I think at this point, he stopped making fun of my Dread )

After what has been a very, very long run, the left Shootas assault in and wreck the heavily damaged Executioner.

Picture Caption: Ow. Dat's a LOTTA burny...

Turn 4: IG
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BigToof was disappointed! This one broke too! These Hummies didn't make good toys. Someone should talk to them about that. He turned as he heard more zapping sounds and saw some more little hummies. Hmm, well, they weren't as fun as Wagons, he had to admit, but at least they were lively! One fired a big bolt of fire right at his head, but it shimmered against Wingnut's big glowing-thingy. BigToof liked the glowing-thingy. It hummed prettily. The hummies didn't seem to like that one bit.

The Dread looked over and saw another hummie, all by himself, and he was whirling that little bag again. Then (just a like hummie), he dropped it! It sailed through the air and landed at BigToof's feet. Aww, poor hummie dropped his toy!

BigToof deftly scooped it up and tossed it back.
"'Ere ya go! Ya dropped th..."

The firey explosion cut the Dread off...

When he was able to see again, there was just a few hummies left. Huh. Did he do that?
The head hummie, who was really mad for some reason, ran in. 'Toof thought he was going to start yelling or something, but instead stuck something on the Dread's leg. There was a sudden crack and burst of light, and 'Toof looked down at his leg. It was busted! Now, that was enough! He was nice enough to give back their toy they dropped and everything. Now they went and busted his leg! He swung in a wide arc, tapping the hummie on his head with his Buzzsaw. The hummie fell into a couple of pieces. BigToof paused.

Now he sort of felt bad. The poor hummies didn't know right from wrong. They were just doin' what came natural... 'Toof nodded. He'd be nicer to the next little one he met. As soon as he got his leg working...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, there's not many guys left.

The CS continues to stay back. The single Satchel Charge Vet tries to consider who to throw the charge at, but after some thought (and the fact that Lorilune and her crew had FINALLY spread out a bit), he decides to hoof it to the right towards BigToof. Desperate to stop the rampaging Dread, but not wanting to disrupt the steel line, the left Chimera deploys out its Vets, who run over to BigToof, getting their Melta ready. They fire, pen once, but it rolls off of the KFF! After some trepedation (but figuring, why the heck not), the Vet hurls his Satchel Charge at BigToof... and watches in horror as it deviates right back! (I've always pondered the wisdom of throwing out a 6" range plate...)

BOOM!

The Vet who threw the charge is fine, but the charge deviates onto the tightly packed together squad! We check it a few times, but we have to agree that it encompasses almost the entire squad... He considers going to ground, but decides against it. 9 wounds are rolled (ouch!), leaving only the Vet Sarge.

The Sarge passes his morale check and then goes balls-out assaulting BigToof!.

He plants a melta bomb (oh crap, forgot about those!) with a lucky 6 and immobilizes the Dread. However, his jubiliations are cut short as he is clumsily but thoroughly torn apart by the big Dread! Oh, and the Master of Ordinace tries to give out one last shot at the incoming Wagon, but again it falls wide (someone needs to give him a better comm!).

At this point, there's still one last group of Vets holding onto the point by the skin of their teeth...

Picture Caption: There is no picture this turn. The horror is too mighty...

Turn 5: Orks
Da Beast rolls forward, eager to give out the hurt!
It rolls forward, hitting the empty Chimera and wrecks it! It continues on down the line, smashing the last of the "Steel Curtain" on the side, wrecking the Chimera. The Vets wisely disembark on the opposite side of the Wagon, trying to stay away from the Orks. In true Orky fashion, the Nobz leap out... onto the still burning wreckage of the Chimera (owww...), taking a few wounds, but nothing that would slow them down.

All of the Orks close in more (except BigToof, who unfortunately is a bit err... stuck at the moment).

The Kans fire, blasting a few Vets (and accidently wounds a Nob or two), who minimize their losses by going to ground. The Killkannon fires, but is way off (I guess it's harder to hit a Target when it's not three Chimeras wide...). The Shootas though, do a better job and whittle down a few more.

Oh, and Louie and Co. march forward and blow apart the poor Demo Charge guardsman...

The Nobz assault in at this point (taking luckily no dangerous terrain wounds; whew!) and destroy the Vets while managing to sneak a few Nobs around and take a few weapons off the CS Chimera.
At this point the IG player calls it.

Picture Caption: Rolled? Check. Dakka'd? Check. Krumped 'em all? Mostly check.

Result: Ork Victory!

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, that Lorilune DS really made a difference. I couldn't believe it when she did that second turn, but somehow that sneaky Eldar knew where to hit them. If the Executioner and the Manticore had survived, many, many more Boyz and Wagons would have been toast. Again, shooting from the Flash Gitz was pretty dead on (by Orky standards), and I think I only lost a few Orks this time to my own shooting

A few mistakes were made by the IG player here and there, and I wonder if his decision to castle so centrally instead of to the side (where there was granted, less cover, but further from the Horde) would have made a difference. Also, he seemed a bit confused as to what to take down, as I guess too many things were coming in from too many directions... But that's Orks for you, I suppose

Still, I had pretty hot dice, as Tanks were blowing up all over the place! And I was amazed as to how much BigToof got to smash this time around. The Demo Charge was just hilarious for both of us. I think he took them out of his list immediately after this one...

Overall, a good game, and the IG player was just shaking his head that he was "outshot" by Orks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vasily swore, watching the huge Orks slam into his Chimera. The crew operating the weapons were thrown clear from their seats. He was about to order the driver to pull back, when he saw Lord Commissar Grant readying his weapons. What was he...?

"Guardsmen!" the Commissar snarled, "Ready weapons and fix bayonettes. We're going to tear them apart."
The surrounding Vets looking pleadingly at Vasily, who just swallowed. He was about to say something, when the driver spoke.

"Sir! Begging your pardon, but they're all over us, we have to pull..."

The driver didn't get to finish his statement before the Commissar drew his plasma pistol and melted the man's face off. The shot roasted part of the control panel as well.

Grant paused, smirked and laughed. It was a deep, hearty and sadistic laugh.

What happened next, Vasily was never really sure about, but he was told that he picked up a fire extinguisher and bashed the Commissar on the back of the head. The rest of the Vets joined in, and then picked the Commissar up and threw him out the top hatch. Vasily pushed the dead Guardsman out of the driver's seat and rolled backwards as fast as possible. It may be cowardice, it may be heresy, but by the Emporer it felt right...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Commissar Grant staggered to his feet. The din of battle rang in his ears and his vision swam.

"Cowards!" he screamed, "You're all cowards! I'll kill you all! Do you know who I am? I am Arnold Vestus Grant! You've signed your death warrants! I'll ensure that you're tortured in..."

He then paused as he heard a rumbling sound and saw an enormous Ork tank rumbling toward him with some kind of huge roller in front of it. Grant scowled. He readied his plasma pistol and ran screaming at the Tank. He'd show them, he'd show them all!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wingnut paused when he felt a sharp bump jostle the Battlewagon. He looked down, around, but didn't see anything. Maybe it was a tree stump or a rock or something. Surely nothin' important...
Old 04 Mar 2010, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

I swear mate you could write books filled with your battles of the year, and ppl would PAY for it. Your reports are superb and a thrill to read, and your feedback to the people who give you feedback is always quick and great. In a way im thinking about doing battle reports too (using vassal is a great idea, while my camera is screwed so perhaps in the future)

I am currently running my own shooty ork list, and its funny because lately my opponent has been a blood angels (assaulty) marine player...the gw staff said obviously neither of us know how to write lists :P mind you saying that Tau are a pretty good CC army when you think about it.

Anyways, great to see (another) victory for the orks...you should post up your stats to give us an idea just how well you do, because you always seem to be winning by heaps! Yet they are still interesting.

Keep it up mate, your doing a great job.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2010, 04:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
I swear mate you could write books filled with your battles of the year, and ppl would PAY for it. Your reports are superb and a thrill to read, and your feedback to the people who give you feedback is always quick and great. In a way im thinking about doing battle reports too (using vassal is a great idea, while my camera is screwed so perhaps in the future)

I am currently running my own shooty ork list, and its funny because lately my opponent has been a blood angels (assaulty) marine player...the gw staff said obviously neither of us know how to write lists :P mind you saying that Tau are a pretty good CC army when you think about it.

Anyways, great to see (another) victory for the orks...you should post up your stats to give us an idea just how well you do, because you always seem to be winning by heaps! Yet they are still interesting.

Keep it up mate, your doing a great job.

Zambia
Thanks for your comments!
I'm glad you're liking the reports. I enjoy making them as well, and any feedback I get (positive or negative), really makes me feel that the effort was worth it.
I think I'm ALMOST getting the handle on VASSAL, as it's only taking me a few hours to put a Batrep together (though the darn models seem to keep spinning with a life of their own at times...).
Also, glad to hear that there's more shooty Orks out there!
It's actually pretty fun to do the shooty, but I find (as do many I'm sure), that sometimes you have to krump them to finish them off...
As for my "stats"... Well, I'll have to try and do a count. I must admit, I have games that I haven't put up for publication as they don't really have anything interesting about them or I can't get a fluff idea in my head. But that's how it rolls sometimes

Best,
-BT
Old 04 Mar 2010, 04:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your stuff is very funny and good reading. I like the part they threw the commissar out of the vehicle.

What can I say. I'm surprised he didn't try to really kill your farseer squad. They could take out the manicore and had rear shots to another tank. I was just confused by it. But the teleporting actually worked out for you. That's why orcs are so fun cause you'll never know what will happen.

MoO needs to actually see what he's shooting at to be of some use. Even though he can see it's still hard for him to hit anything.

Plasma Pistols glore. I don't use them cause it would effect the leadership of my squad to much if the sargeant dies or something.

Demo Charges. It isn't bad. For Marbo it's actually good cause he's likely to actually hit with it. Not bad for a cheap squad to blow themselves up. But on vets with melta guns wow.

I don't think the guard player had a bad list. I think with what he had he should had played more aggressive. Majority of his army has short ranged weapons. He should had moved his chimeras up throwing demo and heavy flaming the orcs to death. I think playing passive and boxing himself in was his main down fall. Also allowing the farseer unit to do what it did. Should had thrown a demo charge on the unit.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 04:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Your stuff is very funny and good reading. I like the part they threw the commissar out of the vehicle.

What can I say. I'm surprised he didn't try to really kill your farseer squad. They could take out the manicore and had rear shots to another tank. I was just confused by it. But the teleporting actually worked out for you. That's why orcs are so fun cause you'll never know what will happen.

MoO needs to actually see what he's shooting at to be of some use. Even though he can see it's still hard for him to hit anything.

Plasma Pistols glore. I don't use them cause it would effect the leadership of my squad to much if the sargeant dies or something.

Demo Charges. It isn't bad. For Marbo it's actually good cause he's likely to actually hit with it. Not bad for a cheap squad to blow themselves up. But on vets with melta guns wow.

I don't think the guard player had a bad list. I think with what he had he should had played more aggressive. Majority of his army has short ranged weapons. He should had moved his chimeras up throwing demo and heavy flaming the orcs to death. I think playing passive and boxing himself in was his main down fall. Also allowing the farseer unit to do what it did. Should had thrown a demo charge on the unit.
Thanks for the comments!
Re: the Fluff
I do like that little bit too
I can only imagine the debriefing:
"Uh, Orks. Orks got him."
(Nods all around)

As for the suggestions, I have to agree, I think he played far too conservatively. I also think he didn't know what the Flash Gitz could do, and was actually worried that I might wreck his tank if he got too aggressive.
Also, I think he was of the opinion that Orks fell over pretty easy if you shot them, and was really surprised when he learned they were 4+ with FNP. Granted, they look just like fancy Nobz at this point (if the Gitz perform ONE more time well, I'll have to properly model them with full on bitz) but I guess he wasn't used to seeing them... Goodness, who is really?
When I came off strong on Turn 2 and burned out his Lemun Russ, I could tell that he was surprised and went to classic IG turtling, reacting to strikes and then hitting back only when it was in his favor.
As for all the plasma, well, I guess he figured the medic would save guys. I don't know, didn't see it in action, but he was swearing by it for Terminator killing and whatnot.
The Demo charges were more a theme. He really liked them for throwing them out of Chimeras and hitting them with Flamers. However, I kept shaking his Chimeras, which sort of ruined his plans.
I also think, in a way, he just wasn't experienced enough with Orks (especially my crazy list), and thus was getting frustrated when things weren't dying (which you would expect in a classic Ork horde). Granted, I rolled very well, but he had solid on rolls as well. Still, it was a good game, and I can't knock him for anything he did. Things could easily have swung the other way, and if not for a few key rolls, he could really have hurt me and left me stranded with not much to do against a LOT of shooting.

Best,
-BT
Old 04 Mar 2010, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nice report Bigtoof, glad to see the return of good ol' Vasily, I like it when past fluff comes back. Loving the fluff BTW, it is superb and can't be beaten.

Excellent luck when it came to Louie, I'm glad she's working out for you, as well as those flash gitz. Although my favourite bit had to be all that was done by Bigtoof, there is no dread better. One thing I have wondered is, with your looted marine dread being your namesake and the new plastic kit coming soon, will Wingnut see the damaged legs as an oportunity to make a new, krumpier dread?

Anyway, great report, Job's a good'un!!! :rockon:
Old 04 Mar 2010, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Nice report Bigtoof, glad to see the return of good ol' Vasily, I like it when past fluff comes back. Loving the fluff BTW, it is superb and can't be beaten.

Excellent luck when it came to Louie, I'm glad she's working out for you, as well as those flash gitz. Although my favourite bit had to be all that was done by Bigtoof, there is no dread better. One thing I have wondered is, with your looted marine dread being your namesake and the new plastic kit coming soon, will Wingnut see the damaged legs as an oportunity to make a new, krumpier dread?

Anyway, great report, Job's a good'un!!! :rockon:
Thanks for the comment!
I really do like writing Vasily, as he's one of the ones with common sense in a crazy grim-dark world. He's just sort of lucky, but he knows it, and that makes it worse. I was hoping that his insurrection of the Commissar would come off ok, as you can only do so much to a man before he snaps.
Yes, very much in the way of luck with Louie! I was pretty sure she would have gone right off the board as it was REALLY close to both the Executioner and the back of the board. The IG player was pretty nice about the whole thing, and even reassured me that the DS was ok... Though perhaps he was regretting it later...
And I'm glad you're liking BigToof. He's so easy to write, it just sort of flows. He's simple, yet violent and fun
As for the new kits, I'm torn between getting the Kans first and then working on the Dread, or getting the new Dread and then having two (Which in itself would be neat, but it's really hard to beat the prie on those Kans...)

Best,
-BT
Old 04 Mar 2010, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
As for the new kits, I'm torn between getting the Kans first and then working on the Dread, or getting the new Dread and then having two (Which in itself would be neat, but it's really hard to beat the prie on those Kans...)
I know what you mean with those new kans, i'll definately be getting them. I'm also thinking of getting a dread just for the sake of having one and maybe using him in an alternate list or something. They just look so cool.

Even if you do go for the kans first and don't decide to replace 'toof. You still get loads of extra bitz to add on to him from the kan set. It's a win-win, and of course, Orks never lose so it's a win-win-win. ;D
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Haha, that's true.

You know it's interesting, lately I've been watching more and more people getting interested in Orks. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I've had a bunch of Tyranid/SM/IG come up and ask how Orks are and all...
It's kind of shocking. Perhaps the Green Machine is back?

Best,
-BT