Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau VS Tyranids (4th ed Codex) - 750 points - February 28, 2010
Old 03 Mar 2010, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau VS Tyranids (4th ed Codex) - 750 points - February 28, 2010

This was a very unconventional format, so for background, please follow the links.
http://pagegaming.com/index.php?n=Wa...ournamentRules
The particular mission being played is located at the following link:
http://pagegaming.com/index.php?n=Wa...PatrolMission5
Although I knew the mission, I did not know I was going to be playing a 4th ed Nid list.

My list:

HQ 1 - 1 Ethereal with 12 Honor Guard Firewarriors (11 Shas’la, 1 Shas’ui with Markerlight, HWMT, HWTL, and Bonding Knife, all Pulse Rifles)
TROOP 1 – Firewarrior Team (12 Shas’la with Pulse Rifles)
TROOP 2 – Firewarrior Team (12 Shas’la with Pulse Rifles)
TROOP 3 – Firewarrior Team (11 Shas’la, 1 Shas’ui with Bonding Knife, all Pulse Carbines)
TROOP 4 – Firewarrior Team (11 Shas’la, 1 Shas’ui with Bondingknife, HWDC, and Gun Drone, all Pulse Carbines)

Opponent:

Unit 1: Lictor able to deep strike and re-roll reserve roll once, re-roll to wound, and rend
Unit 2: Lictor able to deep strike and re-roll reserve roll once, re-roll to wound, and rend
Unit 3: 15 or so Genestealers that re-roll to wound, rend, 3d6 for diff terrain
Unit 4: 15 or so Genestealers that re-roll to wound, rend, 3d6 for diff terrain

Order:

He places terrain first and goes first.

Deployment:

He deploys nothing. Lictors are deep striking, stealers are outflanking. I form a front line approximately 12” from the daemon. My formation was like this:
T1-T2-T3
__HQ1-T4
I squeezed my forces as close together to avoid the outflanking genestealers as much as possible. In hindsight, I probably should have spread my flanks, or put my carbine teams on each flank, but I had to kill the Daemon objective with rapid fire.

Turn 1: It’s quiet… too quiet.

My opponent does nothing.

I march forward all units, squeezing in as much as possible, and moving T4 to rear guard of my HQ unit to block assault. T1 rapid fires the daemon objective target, and kills it in the first volley (myself and my opponent were impressed, as it failed all 6 saves it was required to roll). I then use this opportunity to run with my remaining units in order to sit on the objective. In hindsight, I should have made a tactical retreat to my table edge away from the terrain where the lictors would be showing up.

Turn 2: Incoming!

My opponent rolls reserves and everything comes in. Lictors deepstrike into terrain near T1 and T2. One genestealer unit shows up at each of my flanks. On my right flank, they are unable to get close enough to assault. On my left flank, the stealers get into T1 (the daemonslayers) and tear them apart in one turn (he rolled a 6 on his Init test), and fall back toward the terrain for cover.

My attention turns to my steady right flank. My hope is to free up the less contested flank so that I could shift my army to the right and rear to increase the distance needed for his remaining forces to assault. T3 advances towards the stealers to form a buffer should they survive the round of fire (gutsy, I know). HQ1 marches thru some difficult terrain where T3 use to be. T4 drops back, reversing to my table edge. T1 fires into the right flank stealers. T4 also fires into the unit, and HQ1 rapid-fires, but roughly 4 or so remain.

Turn 3: Equilibrium

Both lictors assault T2 and kill enough guys to win the sweeping advance and wipe the unit. T3 is assaulted, suffers four wounds and saves none of them, and gets overrun. I am left with HQ1 and T4.

HQ1 and T4 finish securing the right flank.

Turn 4: The Tides Turn

Lictors assault HQ1, deal 4 wounds, I save 2. HQ1 returns the favor, with the Ethereal dealing 2 wounds to the lector for which it did not save. The combat tied!

The combat between the lictors and HQ1 continue. Lictors inflict 5 casualties upon HQ1, but the remaining troops and ethereal finish off the last Lictor to win the combat! T4 fires at the left flank stealers.

Turn 5: Tyranid Tactical Retreat

Remaining wounded genestealer unit runs for the objective.

T4 fires at the unit, and the Nids take minimal casualties. HQ1 moves to get closer to the objective.

Turn 6: Cheese!

Genestealers arrive at objective and immediately go to ground.

T4 and HQ1 unload on unit, but are unable to kill enough with a 3+ cover save granted. Nids win it; considered a major victory, though I disagree with this, as the Nids did not kill the daemon, and in my opinion, a major victory is when one has accomplished all tasks required to gain victory without the influence of the other army.

Conclusion:

I felt pretty burnt that I had moved my army so well against him, and played with a list that most people would not field against Nids (no safe vehicles, no suits… nothing between you and the Nid), and turned the entire battle around, and all I got was a point, and he got six. To me, the game was a lot closer than the score would say.

Oh well, at least I got to see my honor guard take down two lictors!
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Tau VS Tyranids (4th ed) - 750 points - February 28, 2010

Not bad.

I guess Victory was based on Kill point or maybe victory point and having removed 3 of your unit, I can see how this would be seen as a major victory.

But still I got to admit it interesting to see a Fire warrior only harmy dealing against tyrannid and performing well like that.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
I guess Victory was based on Kill point or maybe victory point and having removed 3 of your unit, I can see how this would be seen as a major victory.
As the mission link describes, the condition of a major victory was to be sitting on the remains of the daemon with a Troop unit uncontested.

In order to sit on the remains, you had to have killed the daemon, so I felt a little burnt that I one-shot the daemon with a single FW unit, got one point from it, and he got 6 because all he had to do was rush in and secure the site (which is easy when you are deep stiking lictors and outflanking on a 4' x 4' table.

In hindsight, I should have let the daemon live, keep my formation near my table edge so that he would have to come to me, and each of his units would have been very exposed.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch
In order to sit on the remains, you had to have killed the daemon, so I felt a little burnt that I one-shot the daemon with a single FW unit, got one point from it, and he got 6 because all he had to do was rush in and secure the site (which is easy when you are deep stiking lictors and outflanking on a 4' x 4' table.
How can that be?? By my understanding of your BatRep your HQ was contesting the objective...unless they were not close enough.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
But still I got to admit it interesting to see a Fire warrior only harmy dealing against tyrannid and performing well like that.
Yes, the all firewarrior lists have been surprising me as well. It is amazing how much firepower you can move around, and the Ethereal with honor guard is absolutely amazing at shooting (and not useless in combat). I actually want to try more lists in standard games with firewarrior formations surrounded by kroot in order to protect the flanks. I would also need some anti-vehicle... perhaps broadsides to walk with the FW formation.

I think every Tau player should try this once... I think it gives you more of an appreciation for what the FWs are capable of, and how great they actually are.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch
How can that be?? By my understanding of your BatRep your HQ was contesting the objective...unless they were not close enough.
No, my HQ was not close enough, because it shifted somewhat towards my right flank in order to deal with those genestealers. When my HQ started moving up on Turn 5, it was running parallel to the objective, as I was no where close (just making sure I could rapid fire).
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its nice to see people not play the standard missions all the time. I do think you would have been better off letting him try and kill the daemonhost, as it may have taken out a unit for you. I know you felt burned, but you did fall into the pittrap of not playing the objectives and trying to kill your opponent. The special mission didn't say you had to be the one to kill the daemonhost to claim the body, so I would have set up more defensively and guaranteed the genestealers couldn't hit me the turn they outflanked. Hope to see more reports from you, especially if they're all going to be non-standard.

In the future try to modify previous posts instead of double posting.
Fixed for him
Boneguard
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 20:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Its nice to see people not play the standard missions all the time. I do think you would have been better off letting him try and kill the daemonhost, as it may have taken out a unit for you. I know you felt burned, but you did fall into the pittrap of not playing the objectives and trying to kill your opponent. The special mission didn't say you had to be the one to kill the daemonhost to claim the body, so I would have set up more defensively and guaranteed the genestealers couldn't hit me the turn they outflanked. Hope to see more reports from you, especially if they're all going to be non-standard.

In the future try to modify previous posts instead of double posting.
Fixed for him
Boneguard
It sucks to lose, and I am sure that didn't make my opinion any less sour, but I do believe that if something is neccesary to win, then it should probably be a requirement for a major victory. And yes, in hindsight, I should have waited, especially after forgetting the fact that the lictors do not scatter off of terrain pieces. I appreciate your enthusiasm for my posting, and yes, I will try to add more. Perhaps I can recall some of my old games, if not, I will wait for the others. I think I did a fairly good job at portraying the battle, and they help me to analyze my mistakes after you sit and type about it.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 22:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

It only sucks to lose if you don't learn anything from the battle. As long as you can modify your tactics for future games I call it a win. While it would have made sense to give bonus points for killing the daemonhost, it wasn't in the conditions for victory. Be very careful when looking at mission objectives, especially if playing in a tournament.

I think you did a good job of portraying the map. Pictures or the use of Vassal shots make battreps easier to read, but its not required. I would say play newer battles and report them, so people can see your tactics improving, and so the games fall under 5th edition rules.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 02:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I would say play newer battles and report them, so people can see your tactics improving, and so the games fall under 5th edition rules.
This was 5th edition rules, but Tyranid players were given the option to use either the old or new Codex, since it came out during our tourney.

Edit: I changed the title to avoid more confusion, as I thought you were playing a 4th edition game, and not that your opponent was using the previous Tyranid codex. ~Scoutfox
Old 06 Mar 2010, 02:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Enoch, it sounds like your opponent is stuck in 4th ed rules a bit. Lictors don't give reserve rerolls anymore. Besides that, interesting game.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote