Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Guard vs. Dark Eldar (1500 Points, 2-20-2009)
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealth Guard vs. Dark Eldar (1500 Points, 2-20-2009)

Warning. I got a little long winded in this fluff piece. Those who wish to skip right to the report can click here.

[tt]0830 Terran Standard Time
Imperial Cruiser Blade of Ternos
[/tt]
Captain Aldeus Kurtz reclined against the bulkhead and gazed out into the void of space. Truth be told, the men of the imperial guard were not allowed on the viewing deck, but the other truth was that naval security troopers were far too easy to evade. Kurtz smiled as he watched the blue-brown orb that was Halsphar III recede at an almost imperceptible pace.

He rubbed gingerly at a scar across his midsection that was to be his permanent memory of the campaign. A rebel gunner had gotten lucky with one of their poor quality rockets and exploded Kurtz's transport. Cole and Byep, two of his command squad had not made it out alive. Now the dirty, industrial planet of Halsphar III was their final resting place. Not that Kurtz rated their home planet of Corbryn much better, but it had the distinct advantage of being HOME.

He sighed and scratched a phantom tickle on his cybernetic right shoulder. God Emperor! Twelve years since Ghost 419 and still the damn thing itched.

"ATTENTION!" a shrill and modulated voice sounded through the speakers, "Senior Guard officers are to report to tactica control immediately." Kurtz raised an eyebrow and loped off through the corridors to report. What the hell is the problem now?

[tt]0845 Terran Standard Time
Battle Cruiser Blade of Ternos[/tt]

"Engine repairs?" Colonel Lassen said, contempt fairly dripping from his aristocratically refined voice, "You spent the last 24 hours reprimanding me for how long it took my regiment to embark. Now you say that your ship needs engine repairs?"

The Colonel was the only guard officer in tactica control uncowed by the freakishly tall commanding officer of the "Blade of Ternos". Captain Nagarin seemed all gaunt muscle and glaring eyes. He had ordered several guardsmen caught outside their quarters flogged on the last voyage. Now Kurtz was shocked to see Nagarin nod in agreement with the implied insult of the Colonel.

"You have my apologies, Colonel. But the repairs must be effected before we can enter the warp. We must return to Halsphar to pick up the supplies."

"What of the rest of the army group?" asked Chief Hetman Bolaos. Kurtz knew him as the C/O of the 25th Yallik Raiders, a low-tech formation that had fought bravely during the insurrection. Nagarin shrugged at the hetman's question.

"I have informed them that we will be late to the rendezvous point. Such problems are not unheard of in the navy. Fear not gentlemen, we will have you in position to die for the emperor soon enough."

[tt]1330 Terran Standard Time
Battle Cruiser Blade of Ternos
[/tt]
"You say they are not answering our hails. Are you sure that our comm is functioning, Ensign?" Nagarin said from his sedentary position in the command throne. Less than an hour ago, the ship had re-entered Halsphar III, only to be met by silence from the planet.

"Yes sir, our comm is operating at full function. I've confirmed this by contacting the moonbase and the listening station on the fifth planet. That's what makes it so odd sir, Halpshar Three isn't responding to their comms either."

What little color existed in Nagarins face swiftly drained from it.

"Contact the fleet. And summon the guard officers to me."

[tt]1630 Terran Standard Time
Drop Ship 915[/tt]

The roar of the drop ship almost drowned out the conversation. But the men of the 31st Corbryn had been in this position before and communicated in their hand signs when the sound became too loud.

“I thought the job was done, Captain!” growled Sergeant Blaine from beneath his beard.

“Yeah, did those preening t'auk'cka Koslari gak it up?” continued Sergeant Andrus, anger dotting his weathered features with color. “I bet they did, they let those rebels get back in the fight. By the God Emperor! They got lucky and pulled garrison duty, the least they could have done is do their damn job right.”

“I don't know, boys.” Kurtz said slowly, “but I doubt those rebels had the capacity to kill the comms systems of an entire planet. Colonel Lassen thinks it's a power surge or a failure at one of the main power plants. I still don't think that's the case either. We're coming in on the dark side and I saw the light of the cities.”

For a few moments, the only sound in the ship was the roar of the engines and the sounds of re-entry. Finally, sergeant Goyet spoke what was on their minds.

“So what, then? Xenos?”

Kurtz only nodded.

“But let's hope for a power surge, shall we?”

[tt]1715 Terran Standard Time
Kallerport - Planetary Capital of Halsphar III[/tt]

Panic ruled on Halsphar III.

From the moment the Corbryni scout company disembarked from their drop landers, they were beset by fleeing citizens. Terror was written across the face of each. Kurtz had to fire his pistol into the ground in front of the mob several times to allow the drop landers to take back off. Had he not intervened, the terrified herd would have forced their way on board. Once the mode of escape had disappeared the citizens began fleeing again.

Now, as the scout company fanned out to secure the area, Kurtz began to look around. Suddenly, he reached out grabbed a fleeing man by the coat. The man squirmed and tried to get free, but the Guard Captain had him in the grip of his cybernetic hand. He hauled him up in the air. The Koslari emblems on his jacket were plain to see. This man was a soldier of the Imperial Guard. Or had been.

“What happened here?” Kurtz shouted. The man cringed and looked away.

“Raiders from the sky! They came in the dark!”

“Speak plainly, you gakking idiot. Where is the rest of your unit?” asked Kurtz, using his organic arm to force the man to look at him. The man only sobbed. Kurtz dropped his hand from the mans head and wrenched out his laspistol.

“Where is your unit? Tell me or I will be forced to turn you over to the commissars!”

At this the man sobered up some. “My... unit. They're gone! The xenos took them all. We didn't have a chance! They took the governor too, and his family.”

Kurtz nodded and set the him down. The man immediately collapsed to the ground, shaking uncontrollably. He turned to Lieutenant Zadir, his second.

“Get him something to drink. Also, set up a staging area and give the report back to the fleet. Comms won't work so use one of the Astropaths. Have him tell the fleet we're going to need full deployment. Tell them that my initial judgment is eldar.”

Zadir nodded. “What about you, sir?

“I'm going to take my platoon and set up a little trap for these raiders. I have a feeling I know where they're headed with the governor.”

“With all due respect sir, how the hell do you know that?” Zadir said. Kurtz grinned.

“Remember those stone structures that we passed on the way to the front? Remember how I told them they looked xenos and you laughed. You owe me, son.”

Zadir only shook his head. “You should wait until the rest of the regiment lands. Then we can attack in force.”

“The raiders are withdrawing, Zadir. They've got what they want and if we wait until the regiment lands, they'll have gotten away with it. I have to do something now. End of discussion.”

Zadir nodded and moved off to set up the staging area. Kurtz began roaring orders to his platoon. No, these bastards wouldn't get away clean, he thought, Not this time.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Stealth Guard vs. Dark Eldar (1500 Points, 2-20-2009)

Hi all, recently my stealth army got in a game against a Dark Eldar Wyche Cult army, played by Jester. I'm still learning how to my play my unusual IG, and this would be quite the test.

Command Squad “Kurtz” (astropath, 4 meltaguns, camo cloaks):
Command Squad “DeBarre”(4 meltaguns, camo cloaks):
Stormtrooper Squad Alpha (2 meltaguns):
Stormtrooper Squad Alpha (2 meltaguns):
6 Ratlings:
Veteran Squad “Goyet” (forward sentries doctrine, 3 plasma rifles):
Veteran Squad “Blaine” (forward sentries doctrine, 3 plasma rifles):
Veteran Squad “Andrus” (forward sentries doctrine, 3 plasma rifles):
Veteran Squad “Cylis” (forward sentries doctrine, 3 plasma rifles):
Valkyrie “Aurora Aquili” (multiple rocket pods, door heavy bolters):
Valkyrie “Aurora Austeri” (multiple rocket pods, door heavy bolters):

Jester's Army:
Archite Rhattm Eda (Lelith Hesperax):
retinue of 8 wyches (plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus with agonizer):
Raider with horrorfex:
8 Wyches (grenades, wych weapons):
Raider with horrorfex
8 Wyches (grenades, wych weapons):
Raider with horrorfex
8 Wyches (grenades, 2 blasters, wych weapons):
Raider with horrorfex
8 Wyches (grenades, 2 blasters, wych weapons):
Raider with horrorfex
Ravager (3 disintegrators, night shields)
Ravager (night shields)
Ravager (night shields)

Mission: Seize Ground (3 Objectives)
Deployment: Dawn of War

For drugs, three of his squads got the dreaded 12” assault. Granted, the Archite's squad got to choose hers, but just my luck that he rolls it for two other squads. The other two got +1 WS and +1 attack respectively). I would have preferred “Always Strikes First” personally, but whatever ;-)

I won the roll for first turn and gave it to him.

Deployment:
He depoyed nothing. I put down squads Goyet and Blaine in the ruins on my side of the board. I figured he'd turboboost and I wanted to get shots first turn. I disperse them to give me the best chance to avoid being pinned from horrofexes. I hold my stormtroopers in reserve and declare their mission to be “grav chute insertion”.

Dark Eldar First Turn:
He roars on. 4 raiders, including his archites, and a dark lance ravager scream down the eastern side of the board. The other two ravagers move up the middle, while one lonely raider with 12” assault wyches move up in the west.

IG First Turn:
I bring everything in. Kurtz's command squad moves up behind the squad in the west, reinforcing their position while the other command squad moves up behind the eastern firebase. A valk with a vet squad appears between my two firebases, while another carrying the final vets squad appears far out to the east, right in the path of the marauding eldar. The ratlings amble on far out to the west, moving and running to get into some trees.

In shooting, I explode the raider that is all by itself in the west, killing two of the wyches. They pass both their pinning and morale tests. In the east, my valkyries and the veteran squads combine to wreck the lead raider. These wyches are pinned as they disembark.

No picture for this turn, sorry!

Dark Eldar Turn 2:
He rockets the wych squad with +1 WS forward. They land in front of the vet squad in the east. A few guardsmen are killed in shooting but they hold until the assault where they are butchered by the wyches. The scantily clad dark eldar huddle in the ruins, anticipating the guard firepower to come.

The lances split their fire between the two valks. The one farthest to the east is immobilized and it settles to the ground.

Farther out to the west, the wych squad who had their transport blown out from under them move out of the crater and zip across the board to charge the poor ratlings. Poor poor ratlings.

IG Turn 2:
Both stormtrooper units become available and land behind the two full and active raiders. Melta time baby. Unfortunately, they utterly fail to kill either raider. The one that doesn't have the archon loses its horrofex however. Yippee!

The mobile valk moves over a drops my vets off within 6” of the dark lance ravage in the middle and they wreck it. The valk itself targets the archite raider and manages to immobilize it. Small mercies at least. The other valk, grounded, can just BARELY see the eastern ravager over the crest of the hill and targets it. One penetrating hit gets through the cover and blows the ravager sky high.

The guys inside that valk combine with the command squad and some judicious “Fire on my target” orders to bring the wyches in the ruins down to three. They have to go to ground to save themselves, though they do pass their morale test.

In the west, the command squad and veteran squad also use “fire on my target” to kill off all but one wych from that squad. The lone wych breaks and heads for the hills.

Dark Eldar Turn 3:

Lelith and her retinue disembark from their immobilized raider and vault around 22 inches into combat with the veterans in the middle, wiping them out easily. The sybarite manages to shake the valkyrie in a dual-assault

The squad in the other raider that cheated death moves up and dual-assaults both the downed valkyrie and the guardsmen who just got out of it. The valkyrie is stunned by the sybarite but only one guardsmen is killed by the rest of the squad. The guard strike back and kill a wych. However, even a -1 leadership test is too much to ask for my elite veterans, and they get cut down horrifically as they run. The wyches join their three sisters in hiding in the ruins.

The stormtroopers are annhilated by the wyche squad that had been pinned last turn. The wyches, far from action and bereft of the 12” assault, content themselves with holding the objective.

IG Turn 3:
Not a whole lot gets done this turn as I don't have a whole lot left.

The valk flies over and picks up the last veteran squad from the ruins, protecting my precious last scoring unit. The command squad in the east moves up and blows up a raider, the explosion claims a wyche from the squad that is down to three. This proves too much for the two remaining wyches and they flee.

Kurtz's command squad moves up into the building to take cover.

Dark Eldar 4:
Pretty much everything focuses on killing off my valkyrie. His last active dark lances bounce off the front, as does the disintegrators from the ravager. The archite and her squad race over and assault it, but don't get as lucky this time with their agonizer attacks.

The other wyche squad assaults my command unit in the east, who miraculously ties combat 1-1.

IG Turn 4:
The valkyrie with the vets moves 6 away and decimates the archites squad with its weaponry. Kurtz and his command squad move out and blow away the archite with their melta weaponry. The immobilized valk is able to get LOS on the last active raider with its door heavy bolter and blow it up.

The command squad in the east finally gets butchered by the wyches.

Dark Eldar 5:
The wyches that just finished up the command squad move up and claim the objective. The ravage, as the sole remaining active skimmer, moves at combat speed and shoots the valkyrie. The wyches level their splinter pistols and blasters on the command squad. I moved over half the squad out of cover the turn before, so the squad is forced to go to ground in order to try and stay alive. The meltagunners die to a man while kurtz takes a wound to live. The astropath also survives (oh joy).

IG Turn 5:
The valkyrie moves over and disembarks the vets on top of the objective. It then turns its multiple rocket pods on the exposed wyches guarding the objective, most of them in a storm of firepower. The valkyrie in the east is able to help, again able to draw LOS through the terrain to the wyches. However, despite the firepower, the wyches survive by going to ground.

We roll the die and the game continues. I breath a sigh of relief. I'll have a chance to blast the wyches again next turn.

Dark Eldar 6:
The wyches have gone to ground in the middle and the other squad is gaurding the objective in the east. So the ravager is the sole unit. Knowing that if he kills the valkyrie, my other forces will be hard pressed to destroy the wyches on the middle objective, it opens up on the valkyrie and completely fails to hurt it.

IG 6:
The valk moves 12” over and targets the wyches. Between it, kurtz command squad, and the brave door gunner on the immobilized valk (who has to be running low on ammo by now), the last of the wyches in the middle are destroyed. Now the game is tied 1-1.

Sadly, the night field prevents some of my plasma from shooting the ravager, meaning that the eldar skimmer survives the turn.

We roll again for game ending and it continues! We both have a chance to pull a win out!

Dark Eldar 7:

The ravager turbo-boosts over to my objective and contests it. Curses!

Wary of my ability to do the same to him, the wyches form a cool little semi-circle 2.1 inches away from their objective in the east.

IG 7:
It all comes down to this. If my valkyrie can kill or move the wyches from his objective AND my veterans can remove the ravager from my objective then I can win. If I accomplish only one of those, then we draw.

First the valkyrie. It moves 12 and unleashes the fury of its multiple rocket pods and multilaser on the wyches. Due to them being spread out, I do 5 wounds. The wyches go to ground but still fail two saves. That's enough for a check!

In the west, Kurtz and the astropath races up to try and get within orders range of the veterans. Sadly, he can't quite make it with a 6” move, ending around 15” or so away. Darn, a "fire on my mark" order would have been very useful there.

The veteran squad opens up on the ravager. They get lucky and hit with 5 out of their 6 shots. From these they manage two penetrating hits and one glancing hits. You can cut the tension with a knife as he picks up the dice to roll his flat out cover saves against the hits.

He rolls the penetrating hits first. 4 and 6. Both pens are negated. My heart sinks. He picks up the die and rolls for the glance. 6! It is negated too! Now I know I can't do better than draw.

We turn our attention to the wyches. He rolls their leadership and rolls a 5, easily passing it!

Dark Eldar Win 1-0!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

What a game! This goes up there with my game with my orks against the hands of vengeance as a real nailbiter. Of course, I came down on the other side of the nailbiter this time, but the loss definitely didn't aggravate me in any way. It was simply a evenly played game on both sides.

It was real interesting how quickly most of my guys died (3 of four scoring units dead before the 4th turn - ouch!) and then how what little I had left was able to deal horrific damage to the wyches. Valkyries are seemingly MADE to play against wyche cults (just as 12" assaulting wyches are MADE to play against guard).

In any case, I hope you enjoyed the report. It will be the first in a series of guard reports from me. I promise that the fluff will be shorter next time. And speaking of fluff...

Kurtz sank to his knees as the last eldar skimmer boosted away from the confrontation. Its gravitic engines powered it through the stone gate. The terrified face of the governor and his family was the last thing Kurtz saw before the entire vessel disappeared. almost too much for him to bear. He tried not to think of the terrible things that the xenos had in store for their new playthings.

“Reinforcments are inbound, sir”. The voice of the astropath cut through his brooding. Kurtz now knew why the man had gone insensate through the last part of the battle.

“It doesn't matter,” he spat, “it's too late. So many of my men dead, and for nothing.”

“That's not quite the case sir, we did manage to free several of the prisoners that were being kept in the area. Several important leaders, including the ecclesiarch are among them.”

Kurtz nodded. He knew they were decoys, meant to distract pursuers from the real prize. He had no idea what they wanted with the governor or why the others were decoys, but the level of resistance he and his men had encountered was proof that the real prize had just been spirited away. It was, after all, how the raiders operated. A flight of valkyries roared over head, scouring the area for remaining eldar. Kurtz knew they would find nothing. He looked again at the gate structure in the distance. Yes... there might be a way to follow after all.

“Psyker,” he called “I need you to send a message to the Yulanos system. To the inquisitorial fortress there.”

“To whom shall I address it, sir?” inquired the astropath.

“Inquisitor Caius Drathax. Tell him I've found something here that he'll want to see.”
Old 21 Feb 2010, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well, I should clarify that all the Wych Squads had Succubi with Agonisers. Now I must contemplate adding the Dark Eldar side to this fluff, to further aggravate the fluff averse amongst your screaming fans.
Jester, The Honorificless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Too much fluff?
Never!
Great report Droofus, and it's nice to see IG fighting it out instead of just Alpha Striking. Very close loss though, you'll get them next time.
Has there been any fluff on the DE or your side?
You seem to have a lot of characters with well developed histories...

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester, The Honorificless
Well, I should clarify that all the Wych Squads had Succubi with Agonisers. Now I must contemplate adding the Dark Eldar side to this fluff, to further aggravate the fluff averse amongst your screaming fans.
Oh... well, I suppose that would be up to the mods. I suggest you post it, the worst that can happen is that it will get moved to the fiction boards. I'd definitely like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Too much fluff?
Never!
Ha ha! I agree!

Quote:
Great report Droofus, and it's nice to see IG fighting it out instead of just Alpha Striking.
Thanks! Dawn of war is the natural enemy of alpha strike, as most of the stuff that hits hard will be starting off the board. AND it's night fight.

Quote:
Very close loss though, you'll get them next time.
I hope so. But at the same time, I really don't feel too bad about the way this one went. After losing so much of my stuff by the third turn, I felt pretty good about being in contention at the end of the game.

Quote:
Has there been any fluff on the DE or your side?
You seem to have a lot of characters with well developed histories...
Jester can speak to the DE side, but for myself, IG was my first 40k army and the 31st Corbryn has a LONG history, both fluff and gaming wise.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 04:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I love it when a game comes down to the last few rolls in the final turn. Quite an epic battle. I'd love to read the DE fluff too. I'm with Bigtoof, you can't have too much fluff. To me it gives the games characters, and an actual reason for being played.

With that downed Valkyrie I was just picturing Black Hawk Down, and your door gunner sniping the enemies from his burning wreck.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I love it when a game comes down to the last few rolls in the final turn. Quite an epic battle. I'd love to read the DE fluff too. I'm with Bigtoof, you can't have too much fluff. To me it gives the games characters, and an actual reason for being played.
Thanks! I'm finding it easier to write fluff for guard than orks. Way more options for plot hooks. Though maybe it's because I don't have to try and get inside the head of a monstrous green killing machine.

Quote:
With that downed Valkyrie I was just picturing Black Hawk Down, and your door gunner sniping the enemies from his burning wreck.
Yes. He was a hero. And he survived the game!
Old 25 Feb 2010, 22:20   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That poor governor... forced to go back to Commoragh and listen to Emo music... :'(

Jester is a fine general and any game against him is a good one; the same goes for Droofus. Could there be any doubt that between the two there would be a match of epic mightiness?

I love a game that can end any kind of way all the way up to turn 7.