Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1850pts) in "Beastly Love!"
Old 21 Feb 2010, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1850pts) in "Beastly Love!"

Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1850pts) in "Beastly Love!"

Hi All,
Yes, another Dogboy report!
This one a really good fight against, yes, Tyranids again!
But it's a big point battle that I haven't done yet with the Wolves, and it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Trying out a lot of new things against a veteran opponent, and yes, it turns into a good fight!

Best,
-BT

P.S. As always, C&C is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Darnation! Just realized that the pics are a bit too big. Apologies to all. Just got around to re-installing VASSAL.

SW List 1850pts: 50 Infantry, 4 Vehicles, 16 KPs
Rolf "Dogboy" Blacktooth: WGBL w/ TW mount, Runic Armor, Power Sword, SS
Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith: RP w/ Term Armor, Jaws of the World Wolf, Murderous Hurricaine
Inquisitor Lord (Lady Agatha Brimstone) w/Psycannon, Hood, Sagex2, Mysticsx2, Servitor w/Plasma Cannon
Wolf Guardx2 w/Terminator Armor, Combi-Melta and Storm Shield in Drop Pod
Sigvald Ironfang (Iron Priest w/Thunderwolf Mount, Cyberwolvesx4)
Callidus Assassin
Grey Huntersx9 w/ Melta, PF/CM WGuard, in Rhino
Grey Huntersx9 w/ Melta, PF/CM WGuard in Rhino
Grey Huntersx6 w/ Melta, PF/CM WGuard in Razorback
TWCx4 w/ TH, SS, MB
Long Fangsx6 w/MLx4, TA-CM WG

Nids of Doom! (1850): 70 Infantry; 12 KPs
Swarmlord w/Tyrant Guard
Zoanthropesx3
Hive Guardx3
Hive Guardx3
Hormaguantsx24 w/Toxin Sacs
Termagauntsx16
Tervigon
Genestealersx8
Genestealersx8
Trygon
Trygon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Harry, you're crazy."

Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith checked his Terminator Armor and shrugged. He gave a lopsided smirk at his two compatriots, Rolf "Dogboy" Blacktoof (leader of their motley crew) and Iron Priest Sigvlad Ironfang.

"Maybe lads, maybe. But you're just patched up, and frankly, there's a lot bugs out there. More than you can handle. The bugs are smart. We need something to be in their faces, grindin' away so we can swoop em' up and take 'em apart. You need Ol' Harry to do that bit of right crazy."

Rolf shook his head, but Sigvald paced a bit and then spoke.
"Harry? How did you think of this idea? I mean, it's not like you've ever used a Drop Pod before. Let alone a SINGLE drop pod with only two other marines. It's just... not your style, should I say."

Harry smirked, "Well, I must admit the idea did come by some... different means."

Rolf and Sigvald looked at each other.
Rolf asked, "Umm... different?"

Harry laughed, "When you go and save the life of a hardcore killer, well, sometimes she gets a bit grateful if you know what I mean."

Rolf's eyes bulged a bit. "You... you... She..."

The Rune Priest laughed heartily. "You'd be amazed what kind of work you can get done if you can look like anyone. Bangin' Saint Celestine for example's always been a lonesome thought in the back of my head..."

Sigvald gagged a bit as mental images that bordered on unrecoverable heresy fled through his mind, but Rolf's more simple thought processes were set on something else...
Rolf paused. "So... it's... not Agatha then?"

Harry's laughter bubbled up again, and the Rune Priest almost fell over.
"Oh, lad (wiping away a tear), you're so funny. No, I wouldna take that prim princess away from ya. You done marked your territory already, and Ol' Harry's understandin' that much. Though you might wanta get a move on, if you know what I'm sayin'."

The Rune Priest went back to checking the Drop Pod.

"Uh, lads? The pointy end goes up, right?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Agatha Brimstone checked her sensor logs again. It was clear that the Tyranids were routed from the forest. However, they had managed to hole up again and were reinforced with additional forces from orbit. The Swarmlord (as she now called it), would be there, readying a massive push to try and free itself from the Orks engaging it's lines. Although a bit more dangerous than she had hoped for, inserting the Space Wolves and herself into a small area would give them the best chance of catching the monster and releasing the planet from one of it's invaders.

She paused and turned as she heard... music?

Glancing over her shoulder, she looked at a sight that was, she had to admit, something she thought she would never see.

The Callidus Assassin that she had brought with her, was... bobbing her head in rhythm to the dulcet tone in the air. The Assassin was playing with a small box that played music. It was clearly of Space Wolf design and she was obviously... pleased. Maybe even... happy?

Agatha paused. She didn't think that the Assassin knew how to even conceive of that idea. Glancing over, she noticed a gilt strip on the top labeled, "To Cally: Best One Ever. -Harry"

The Inquisitor smiled. Would wonders never cease?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Annihilation
Setup: Dawn of War
Terrain: Wintery Forest!

Pre-Game Thoughts: Wow, I'm screwed. A different Nid player, very experienced, who wanted to take the Wolves on. This'll be an interesting fight for sure!
The only catch was that it had to be at 1850. There was a list I had been toying around with, but it wasn't tested... or you know... really thought out. Still, with the pressure on, I threw together what I could. The Pod, for example, is something I've always wanted to try. Wow, this could totally fail. Horribly. And Dawn of War... that's just not so good... Oh, and I do have 33% more KPs than the Nids... Hmm... not good.

Setup: The Nids wanted to absolutely deny LoS and put the single large piece of terrain in the center. As the majority of the Tyranid shooting didn't need LoS, I knew I was in trouble... A number of small bits of forest went here and there, nothing of importance.

Picture Caption: That big thing in the middle is really going to mess with me, I get the feeling...

The Nids win the roll to go first, and deploy the Swarmlord front and center, with the long string of Hormaguants straddling out the left side of the field, everyone up as far as possible. The Tervigon was put out to the right, hanging behind some trees.

The Trygons went to Deep Strike and the Genestealers went to outflank.
The Termaguants were put into reserve.

Trying a completely different deployment strategy, I put Rolf by himself out to the left, getting ready to charge the Hormaguants. Why? Actually, in retrospect it was because I had given Rolf Runic Armor instead of his usual Thunder Hammer, and I noticed a lot of Space Wolf players on the internet were loading their Thunderwolf IC's out and charging by themselves into combat. With 2+ saves and T5, I was hoping Rolf could at least tie up those Hormagaunts for a while, and there's plenty of them for him to be surrounded by and thus not be assaulted. I also put the Razorback hugging the back of the field in the center and a Rhino to the right, looking out at the Tervigon.

Picture caption: Now this might work... really... uh... kind of?

The SW try to seize, but fail (It's nice to know that some things are consistent, still, have never, EVER seized).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolf Blacktooth looked out along the forest treeline. The Thunderwolf Calvary next to him seemed... concerned.

"Sir? Are you... sure? You want to go out... alone?"

Rolf nodded, "Yes, yes, I'll have to. I need to prove to her that I can do it, that I can be that special someone! Yes, yes! I..."

Rolf glanced over at his men who were looked at each other in confusion.

"Uh, well, that is, yes, I'll draw their attention and then you take the flank."

The Space Wolves all nodded. It seemed suicidal, but maybe Rolf had something special planned...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1: Nids
As usual, the Callidus is already in operation and "Cally" manages to confuse the Tervigon with a tasty hunk meat left out in the open, and gets it to shuffle forwards as far as possible towards the Rhino.

Picture Caption: Ah, Cally, you always do throw a bit of monkey wrench into the works, don't you?

The Hormagaunts back off from the left side, moving in towards the Swarmlord, who shuffles a bit, but isn't sure where to go at this point.
The Zoanthropes come in near the back center of the Tyranid area and a unit of Hive Guard pops out to either side.
The Nid Shooting is spread out fairly well right now, and the Nids run around a bit, but not much else.

The Tervigon backs away at this point and puts Catalyst on itself, but trips up a bit in cover and doesn't get too far...

Picture Caption: Run, run as fast as you can...

Turn 1: SW
Hmm, odd, nothing's dead yet.

Well, Harry's pod comes crashing down to the right, it doesn't deviate and lands smack between the fleeing Tervigon and a unit of Hive Guard.

The Thunderwolves pop out to the right, running up the field. The last Rhino zooms forward near the center. The Rhino to the right moves forward, making sure to get within Melta range of the Tervigon.

Agatha comes in hugging the back of the board near the center, and the Long Fangs move up a bit to her right. Both Agatha and the Fangs have excellent fields of shooting right now...

Rolf moves forward chasing the Hormagaunts.
Sigvald and his wolves come in on the left.

Shooting begins!
Agatha pops a few hormaguants with her Psycannon. The Rhino to the right shines it's light on the Tervigon and meltas the Tervigon, taking a wound off the big bug. The Cyclone Missles (love 'em) from the Long Fangs take another wound off the big gribbly.

The Razorback fires at the Swarmlord, and does a lucky wound to the Tyrant Guard.

Harry manages to get off Jaws and fires it right down the Hive Guard's row, killing two. I umm... forget to shoot the combi weapons on the Termies to take them down... (doh!)

Rolf gets a great roll for his fleet and I decide to chance it and fleet him into the big Hormagaunt squad.
The Hormagaunts are rather pleased with Rolf's decision, as the Tyranid Player tells me that they have Preferred Enemy and have Toxin Sacs! Which means they re-roll all failed attacks and wounds, and wound on 4+. Wow. Umm... bad decision. The swarm puts a gives him a bucketload of wounds, and Rolf does decent and saves all but one of them, and even manages to take down three. Two more perish due to fearless wounds, but at least they're tied up now. Hmm... maybe this wasn't such a good idea...

Picture Caption: Mission Control we have tactical failure, repeat, tactical failure...

Turn 2: Nids
One Trygon and both units of Genestealers come in.
The Trygon deviates a bit, but lands right in front of Sigvald!
The Stealers both pop in behind Harry. Well, let's see how that'll go...
All of the nids who can, move forward.

The full unit of Hive Guard fire and immobilize the Razorback. The single Hive Guard fires and takes a storm bolter off the right Rhino. The Zoanthropes try to fry the Termies, but Agatha shuts them down with her hood!
The Tervigon tries to cast Catalyst again, but is again shut down by Agatha. (Wow, I think she just saved us).

The Trygon fires it's umm... whatever it is onto Sigvald, but the Wolves make all their saves.

Assault is pretty well... nasty, as the Hormagaunts manage to finish off Rolf (gah!), and the Termies and Harry are assaulted. The Space Wolves counter assault. They lose one terminator, but take down 3 Genestealers (wow!). The Genestealers hold.
The Tervigon smashes into the Drop Pod and wrecks it.

Picture Caption: And the trap is sprung! Sort of... ok, I'm really sort of screwed.

KPs:
SW: 0
Nids: 2

Turn 2: SW
Wolf Guard Ulf Greyfang swayed a bit in his Terminator Armor. The Long Fangs had managed to find a decent area to stand, right next to the pretty Lady. Yes. They were not drunk. No, no not again. That would be... be... Something bad. Probably. Ulf loved his Terminator Armor. Yes. Wow. Ok, maybe pretty drunk. Being assigned to the Long Fangs was much better than with Grey Hunters. The missile-toting wolves could hide drink anywhere. And it was pretty potent. Yes. But he'd still do... fine.
Ulf peered down at the big Tyranid standing out in the middle of everything. Yep. He could hit that, yep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, things could be worse...

And Cally comes in! The Assassin drops right in behind the Zoanthropes. The Nid player looks well... surprised!
Sigvald tries to head out to the left, but it looks bleak for the Iron Priest...
The center Rhino moves a bit around, but just tries to stay out of trouble.
The Rhino to the right continues to move forward, getting ready to cause more damage. The Thunderwolves also run in.

Shooting again!
Agatha and Elsa manage to put a wound on the Swarmlord with some fancy shooting (I've hit dead on with Elsa every time so far...)
The Long Fangs try and take out the Tervigon that is out in the open but with the worst rolling I've had in a long time... everything misses. Yes, six shots. Six Misses. Wow.
The Thunderwolves also get tripped up and get a 1 for their fleet. Oh that's not good...
The Razorback also tries to do some damage to the Swarmlord, but nothing gets through.
The Thunderwolves try to assault through a little patch of forest, but with a 1,2 for assault rolling... it just isn't happening...

Assault is again pretty hairy (ouch pun), but Harry survives a ludicrous amount of attacks. His Termie friend isn't so lucky and goes down. This seems to upset Harry as he takes down two Genestealers all by himself! One group of Stealers loses it's gumption (with a BAD morale check) and runs off the table! The other one decides to stay around.
Cally on the other hand manages to assault in, slays a Zoanthrope with three wounds (!) and another falls due to fearless rolls.

Picture Caption: Dice fail me! Cally, help!

KPs:
SW: 1
Nids: 3

Turn 3: Nids
Agatha twisted around to look at the swaying bunch of Long Fangs. They had just all missed a target the size of a house. And they were... inebriated? She sighed. Luckily she had taken into account such a possibility. Pushing a switch on her belt, she activated the toxin-clearing ampules that the Callidus had been putting in their drinks all night.

The Long Fangs winced in pain as a sudden pain wracked through them. A hangover the size of a Thunderhawk rose in all of them. Suddenly the battle was loud! Too loud! They looked at each other. Whatever was going on, they had to stop all this noise!

There was a sudden scream, as they looked over at the two strange children in Agatha's retinue, who were pointing out at the open ground and screaming about something.

Ulf was about to scream at the kids to shut it, when the ground split with a headsplitting sound and a massive
Tyranid monster appeared.

It screamed an ear-shattering shout, flailing it's limbs, but before it could finish, the Long Fangs slammed it's mouth shut with a fusillade of missile fire!

"SHUT UP!" screamed the Space Wolves. They didn't mind the fighting. Or even the dying part, as long as the damned things kept quiet for the next few hours...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Trygon and Termagaunts come in.
The Termagaunts come in and decide to huddle in the far left corner for the rest of the game
The Trygon comes in, but deviates a bit far... out into the open... near the Long Fangs and Agatha!
Sam and Samantha, the Mystics, go ape, screaming about "Death from Below!"
The Long Fangs finally find their purchase and hit and wound the Trygon five (!) times!
Wow, I guess the lads stopped drinking after all.
The Tervigon moves out to help the Zoanthrope, but things aren't looking so good...
The Hive Guard both move over to try and get some shots out.
The Swarmlord decides that the Trygon needs some major support and starts to move out to help.

Shooting was fairly lukewarm, but did the job.
The Trygon, now badly wounded, shoots out at Agatha, but fails to wound anybody (huzzah!)
The Hive Guard go into action and fires at the Razorback, exploding it, although no marines fall or get pinned.
The other, single Hive Guard fires at the incoming Rhino, but only manages to shake it.
The not-hurt Trygon fires at the now available marines, but none fall! (wow, good saves!)
The Hormagaunts move forward to encircle Sigvald.
The Swarmlord and Tervigon try their psychic trickery, but again Agatha just keeps shutting them down! (Wow, do not mess with her!)

Assault is pretty well... surprising!
The Hormagaunts all attack Sigvald... but again the Cyberwolves hold out! They take save all the wounds (!) and then kill back six guants. Five more fall due to fearless rolls.
The Trygon assaults in and downs four marines, but the Wolf Guard manages to put a wound on the big monstrosity.
Oh, and Harry, finally gets beaten down by the Genestealers, who try to consolidate into some trees, but it's not nearly far enough...
And Cally, a bit insensed that Harry has fallen, quickly guts the last Zoanthrope and consolidates closer to the Tervigon.

Picture Caption: Match... spiraling... out of... control...

KPs:
SW: 2
Nids: 5

Turn 3: SW
Wow, five to two? This isn't good... Have to make it up now...
The rhino on the right zooms over, the Grey Hunters disembark and get ready to fire!
Cally moves over to zap the heck out of the Tervigon and the single Hive Guard.
The Thunderwolves finally struggle through the trees and get ready to give out the hurt!
And the center Rhino moves forward and gets in the way of the Swarmlord and drops the Grey Hunters off in the face of the heavily wounded Trygon.

Shooting!
The Grey Hunters smirk at the Trygon and melta the last wound off the monster.
The Long Fangs and Agatha combine forces and really do a number on the Swarmlord, downing it's Hive Guard and takes the monster down to two wounds!
The disembarked Grey Hunters rapid fire into the Tervigon and take it down to two wounds.
Cally fires her Neural Disrupter and hits both the Tervigon and the Hive Guard. The Hive Guard takes a wound.

Assault is pretty brutal but necessary, as the Thunderwolves hit the Genestealers and easily wipe them out.
The Guants manage to take down two Cyberwolves, but Sigvald takes down two as well!
Cally assaults into the Tervigon and fails to wound it, but the Tervigon can't seem to get a bead on the Assassin...
And the Trygon finishes off the last of the Razorback Marines...

Picture Caption: Well... at least that's some... bugs gone.

KPs:
SW: 5
Nids: 6

BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1850pts) in "Beastly Love!"

Turn 4: Nids
The Swarmlord realizes that they need to make up points and fast!
The Swarmlord moves in to engage the Grey Hunters blocking his path.
The Hive Guard move around a bit, getting ready to try and take down more Rhinos.
And the Trygon decides that enough is enough and gets ready to assault Sigvald.
The single Hive Guard that has lasted somehow all game decides not to fire and lines up an assault on Cally (oooh!).

The three Hive Guards though, decide that the Rhino must die, and wreck it with a number of nasty shots.

Assault is pretty straightforward, as the Swarmlord moves in and assaults the Grey Hunters.
The Swarmlord downs four, but the Wolf Guard manages to do a wound, knocking the master of the swarm down to a single wound! The Grey Hunters try to run, but the Swarmlord manages to keep them from running... No retreat wounds take down a single marine, but that's all (whew).
The Trygon and the Guants finally down Sigvald, but the damage is done...
And the Tervigon and Hive Guard attack Cally, who then flips over them, jumps off the Tervigon's head and out of combat! (I love Jump Back, it really causes a number of face-palm moments by people...)

Picture Caption: Ooh, it's getting close now...

KPs:
SW:5
Nids:7

Turn 4: SW
The Space Wolves decide that hurting must be done!
The Thunderwolves, Cally and the now ride-less Grey Hunters all circle the Tervigon and Hive Guard.
With not much else going on, it goes straight to shooting!

With the sudden lack of Synapse on the board, the Nids could potentially be forced to run!
The Long Fangs and Agatha sight up the Hive Guard Trio that had been giving us so much in the way of problems and fire into them, downing two. The last one, though manages to hold...

The Thunderwolves, Cally and the Grey Hunters all shoot, doing some damage, but they assault in and finish off both of the Nids.

And with the best rolls ever, the Wolf Guard, now divest of his squad as the Swarmlord picks them all apart, swings, hits and the Swarmlord falls!

Picture Caption: The King is dead! ... Long live the King!

KPs:
SW: 8
Nids: 7

Turn 5: Nids
And it's all turned around now! The last bits of control are gone as Synapse falls and the reigns are off!

The Hormaguants fail their morale check and rage! They run in out of cover towards the last Grey Hunter. The Hive Guard moves forward, trying to get a bead on Cally.

The Trygon moves forward, deciding to try and fry the last Grey Hunter and get in the way of shots at the raging Gaunts.

The Trygon fires, but the Grey Hunter manages to survive all of the hits!

The Hive Guard fires, but is just short of the Assassin, who mutely watches it fall inches from her feet.

Picture Caption: Scrounging for KPs...

KPs:
SW: 8

Turn 5: SW
The Space Wolves ready their guns.

The Grey Hunters and the Thunderwolves move towards the last Hive Guard, but they'll be short. Cally runs behind a tree, it's clear her job is done.

And the lone Grey Hunter gets back in his Rhino and well drives off into the sunset (or the right half of the board, either way).

And then, in a massive wonderful shot, Agatha and Elsa fire and wound five Guants! The Guants go to ground, but it's not enough and enough fall. The Gaunts fail their morale check and run, never to rally again!
The Long Fangs also fire and in a swarm of hits down the Trygon!

Picture Caption: And the Long Fangs finally do right well. Good lads.

KPs:
SW: 10

And with that, the Nids concede. They have one Hive Guard and a small group of hiding Termagaunts, who have no chance of making up the points...

Result: Space Wolves (and umm... Inquisitorial) Victory!

Old 21 Feb 2010, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, this was a nail biter until the very end. Some tactical mistakes on both our parts, but the Wolves really came through. Harry did wonderful by distracting well... pretty much everything on the backboard, and tying up the Genestealers. The fact that he drove off a group of them pretty much by himself just... amazing.
Sigvald did likewise by just tar-pitting up the Hormagaunts who just couldn't take him down. The Trygon eventually did, but that's a big hammer that I was glad to see go off far away.
And wow, Cally did wonderful this time around. Granted, she's pricey as anything, but she did wonderful by tying up everything (taking down the Zoanthropes was key) and generally annoying the heck out of the opposition.
Oh and Agatha and the Long Fangs deserve special mention. Although a bit lukewarm in the beginning, the Fangs really did a number on that Trygon (with Agatha's help of course).
Agatha continues to have her red hot dice, as she pretty much shut down almost all of the Tyranid psychic mumbo-jumbo and just continued to be a very accurate, very regimented wound maker and deep-strike destroyer.
But extra special mention has to go to the Wolf Guard who held out against everything and took down the Swarmlord. I have no idea how he did it, but he did. Wow. Man's getting a special medal or whatnot...
And umm... Rolf. Well. Uh... Don't do that again 'Toof, don't do that again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolf Blacktooth sailed amongst the clouds on his giant magical Thunderwolf, taking down huge xenos monsters and Chaos Gods. He turned as he heard screams and looked out at the massive form of Horus himself clutching the tiny form of Agatha Brimstone! He kicked his Thunderwolf into gear, effortlessly cutting through Bloodthirsters, Eldar Avatars, and Swarmlords. He reached Horus and with a swift stroke, cut the foul monster's head clear from it's shoulders. Agatha started to fall, but Rolf caught her.

"Oh, Rolf," whimpered Agatha, "I've been such a fool. You with your manly power and breeding ability. How could I have been so blind?"

Then nothing needed to be said, as they kissed, but... it was kind of strange that Agatha kept licking his face and...

Rolf started to consciousness, looking in the face of his Thunderwolf who was licking him.
Sputtering a bit, the Wolf Guard Battle Leader looked around. The fighting was done, that much was clear. The surrounding Space wolves were cleaning up.

He turned to his mount.
"Umm, did we win?"

The Thunderwolf snorted an affirmative.

"Oh that's good. Uh... did we umm... turn the tide or something?"

The Thunderwolf gave Rolf an exasperated look, turned around, and walked off.

Rolf staggered to his feet, as he heard voices yelling, "Look! Look! He's alive!"
Rolf turned to accept their thanks, when he saw a mass of Space Wolves surrouding the bandaged form of "Mad Harry" Runesmith.

Harry smirked, a bit more lopsidedly now, and snorted, hugging the rather embarrassed looking Assassin closer to him.
"It'll take more than just losin' a heart or two to stop Ol' Harry! After all, I couldn't go off dyin' especially with a fine lass like this in my corner."

The Assassin, clearly not sure what to do... blushed.

This made Harry laugh even more.

Rolf nodded, looking over as he heard a familiar swearing. Sigvald was already concious, working on some sort of massive device. And Agatha was next to him.
Rolf hobbled over, but Agatha held up a hand to stop him.

"Please don't get any closer Rolf." Her voice sounded strange, and the strange hood that she wore was glowing brightly.

Sigvald snarled, "I still think you're balmy doing this. The thing's not dead! And you know only Tigerius has managed to touch the Hive Mind and survive. If you think that you can do the same and..."

Agatha interrupted, "I am not attempting something that improbable, Mr. Sigvald. I am merely... enhancing a certain response..."

Rolf leaned down and almost jumped out of his boots when he saw the massive Swarmlord, held down by chains, wires and a number of strange devices, many of which were impaled into the creature's head.

Sigvald continued, "Madness, just madness, what are you..."

Agatha concentrated, winced...

And then the sky cleared.

The Space Wolves looked up. The Hive Fleet was... breaking up. The Tyranids were leaving.
Sigvald gaped at Agatha. "What did you do?"

Agatha leaned on the device, "I... I... managed to enhance the Swarmlord's... feelings of... fear. The rest of the Tyranids... they follow orders without thought. The... need to retreat... It would make them leave..."

Rolf ran over to steady her, but Agatha waved him away.

"I'll be fine, Mr. Rolf."

Rolf glanced down at the now unmoving Swarmlord.
"I, uh, I think it's dead."

Agatha nodded, "It's consciousness has probably headed back to the Hive Fleet. They're leaving. For now."

"That's right good then!"

The trio turned to see Harry walking over with a massive chainsword.

"I need somethin' over me bedpost. Now get outta the way, don't want to get no ichor on you youngsters."

The three moved away from Harry who was readying his weapon.
It was the end of a long day, but in the end the world had a reprieve... for now...
Old 21 Feb 2010, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great report! Glad to see the Long Fangs making a return, and that Assassin is really working out well. That was definitely close in the beginning, but it was good to see you pull it out in the second half.

What was up with the Tervigon though? He didn't spawn any gaunts with it!

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
Great report! Glad to see the Long Fangs making a return, and that Assassin is really working out well. That was definitely close in the beginning, but it was good to see you pull it out in the second half.

What was up with the Tervigon though? He didn't spawn any gaunts with it!
Thanks for the reply!
It was actually a very hard fought battle, and I was almost going to throw in the towel, but the locals managed to convince me to stick it out Glad I did.
The Tervigon didn't spawn anything as he didn't want to give out KPs, as it was so very close for a long period of time. It might have helped him in a few situations, but I honestly had Rhinos for tank shocking holes enough for the Thunderwolves to get through. That, and Cally would have had a field day zapping them with her Neural Shredder.

Glad you're liking the Long Fangs. Hope the fluff is up to snuff
And hope Cally is an interesting character...

Best,
-BT

P.S. Probably not going to get the other VASSAL pics up today. Just too much...
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good report. A real come from behind victory. I am always impressed when mechanized forces are able to take down a hordish equivalent in KPs. All those rhinos and drop pods as KPs are tough to overcome when you're looking across the board at T6 monsters and 20+ units of gaunts. Well done!

I'm not sure if you play fantasy or not, but the new nids remind me a lot of orcs and goblins. Kill their leaders and the army starts breaking down.

Loving the fluff too. Methinks Harry will find out the terrors of becoming involved with a woman who can alter her appearance to look like anyone. ;D
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Great report there BT, even better than the last one. Better fluff and a better game overall.
One thing I've just noticed about the fluff is that when I first started reading your reports, there was a set story continuing throughout Grumgutz' conquest of his first planet. Now, a few months ago (really that long?), you started leaving that behind and having each report as it's own story (a bit like doctor who episodes, the classic series often had 10-week long stories whilst the new series are mainly one-offs with the occasional double or triple). I do notice however that the story is starting to come back on this one planet with all the nids, (I especially like how both of your armies are getting involved in the one storyline).
I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep up the continuous storyline, it's what got me to like your particular reports above anyone else's.

And you may have forgotten but your Orky robotic counterpart still has a couple of wolves in a big sack. That sounds like the sort of thing that could link the two storyline (maybe Bigtoof will lose them and Dogboy will find them causing Bigtoof to try and find them bringing the two armies into direct conflict).

Keep up the good work. The pictures are a bit big but you've already mentioned that.

Job's a good 'un, I can't wait for the next installment.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Very good report. This one helps me out pretty well since I at witch hunters and working out on my nid army. I'm kinda clueless on space wolves right now but really enjoyed this report.

Questions:
1. Does a plasma cannon really help you out. I've thought about it but hitting and getting to shoot seemed kinda slim for me to dish out 50 + points to do that. I'm using 2 sages and 3 veterans with plasma rifles. I've found I hit a lot on the 3+ and the sages help out with get hot. I've never lost a guy to get hot so far. On average I usally hit with my plasma shots.

I like the psycannon on your inquisitor. I'm using an inferno pistol for mine though. Which I hop my squad in a borrowed guard chimera.

Also what was he thinking with deepstriking near the mystics. I wished witchhunter could use mystics cause they' so wonderful.

2. How well did the poison homogaunts do. I'm alittle curious on how they did in close combat. I'm going to run a winged tyrant near th giving them preffered enemy.

3. How you think the tervigon model faired. I'm gonna run two for a troop choice and now see dawn of war is a very good scenerio with a tyrant and two tervigons up front.

Congrats on the Calladius. I've taken her out cause she never really worked for me cause I keep rolling bad with her in close combat. It was smart to target the zonathorpes. I've done the same but the zonathorpe peckede to death though.

Glad to see psychic hood worked really good for you. You must be really good in die offs. The hood is the reason why my inquisitor is hq instead of an elite. I'm playing with the ideal to throw in hammer of the witches but I haven't faced enough psychic armies for me to take it.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you all for the replies!
I'll try to get to them in something resembling order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Good report. A real come from behind victory. I am always impressed when mechanized forces are able to take down a hordish equivalent in KPs. All those rhinos and drop pods as KPs are tough to overcome when you're looking across the board at T6 monsters and 20+ units of gaunts. Well done!

I'm not sure if you play fantasy or not, but the new nids remind me a lot of orcs and goblins. Kill their leaders and the army starts breaking down.

Loving the fluff too. Methinks Harry will find out the terrors of becoming involved with a woman who can alter her appearance to look like anyone. ;D
First off, glad you liked the game. It was really hard fought and I think I need to make the 1850pt list a lot leaner. Really too fragile at 16KPs. I... umm... don't think I'll take the Pod again anyway...

I like to watch Fantasy, and I actually like Brets and Dwarfs (for some reason). The O&G book is a bit too... weird for my taste, as it seems very unreliable (and 40k Orks if built right can be one of the MOST reliable armies around). As for Synapse, yes it's now a doozy, as the Nids have to be very careful of spamming elites and Heavies without moving Synapse up. Granted the Synapse range is still decent, but the first time you see a Mawloc getting Tank shocked and running is just... funny

And also glad you like the fluff!
Cally is really starting to grow on me, both in the fluff and in the game.
She's kind of one of these cold-blooded agents who lives, breathes and is her job. But somehow, for some reason, Harry's been able to get into her head (and umm... other places). Shapeshifting girlfriends are a classic trope. Wonderful and umm... potentially terrifying as well. Certainly up there with the mind-reading significant other.

Best,
-BT
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Great report there BT, even better than the last one. Better fluff and a better game overall.
One thing I've just noticed about the fluff is that when I first started reading your reports, there was a set story continuing throughout Grumgutz' conquest of his first planet. Now, a few months ago (really that long?), you started leaving that behind and having each report as it's own story (a bit like doctor who episodes, the classic series often had 10-week long stories whilst the new series are mainly one-offs with the occasional double or triple). I do notice however that the story is starting to come back on this one planet with all the nids, (I especially like how both of your armies are getting involved in the one storyline).
I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep up the continuous storyline, it's what got me to like your particular reports above anyone else's.

And you may have forgotten but your Orky robotic counterpart still has a couple of wolves in a big sack. That sounds like the sort of thing that could link the two storyline (maybe Bigtoof will lose them and Dogboy will find them causing Bigtoof to try and find them bringing the two armies into direct conflict).

Keep up the good work. The pictures are a bit big but you've already mentioned that.

Job's a good 'un, I can't wait for the next installment.
Cammerz,
Glad you liked the fluff!
This one flowed a lot better, although I think it might be that I had more to work with (and you know, am actually getting used to the list).
I actually would love to do a Grumgutz vs Dogboy at sometime in the future. Just have to find someone who would be willing...
Right now though, the Orks would totally destroy the Wolves, as their list is much tighter with roles that are well-defined. (That and I'd be deff-rolling Thunderwolf Calvary all day long...)
And the comparison to a classic like Dr. Who is really... heartwarming. Thanks. It's amazing to even be put in that category.
Oh, and I haven't forgotten Mr. Fluffy and Fuzgob. If the Grumgutz v. Dogboy ever occurs, you know that they'll be a major point!

Best,
-BT