Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels vs Chaos Marines - Feb 20/10
Old 21 Feb 2010, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Blood Angels vs Chaos Marines - Feb 20/10

Hey guys, Crazy here. I haven't done a battle report for a while so I figured I might as well. The first paragraph is somewhat pointless, but if you're bored go ahead and read it. Skip down to the army list if you're interested just in the report.

What? You're reading this? Jeez, you must be bored. Anyways, quick background: my LGS is running a challenge league. For those who don't know what that is, essentially it's a tier-based tournament that takes place over several months. Players can challenge those on a higher rank than themselves. If you hold the top spot for a few weeks or successfuly defend it twice (I believe, haha), then you get a spot in the final tournament that will take place over one or two days at the end. For the first month, it was essentially a "points race." You could play a game against anyone in the store to earn points. The number of points everyone had determined their initial position on the challenge board. I missed the first week of January so didn't get in quite as many games as I was hoping for. However, I still ended up two rows below the top. I played a couple of random players in the league (a couple of rows below me) and earnt a couple of challenge tokens, which allow me to challenge players on a row higher than me. Well, I had my first challenge game today against a Chaos player on the row above me. So, onto the report proper...

Army Lists

The Chaos list may not be 100% right, especially on the standard chaos marines. But it's very close.

Blood Angels
Dante
Corbulo
7x Death Company, 2 Extra, Jump Packs
5x Veteran Assault Marines, 2x Meltaguns, 1x Power Weapon, 1x Melta Bomb
5x Veteran Assault Marines, 2x Meltaguns, 1x Power Weapon, 1x Melta Bomb
10x Regular Assault Marines, Powerfist, Melta Bombs
10x Regular Assault Marines, Powerfist, Melta Bombs
5x Regular Assault Marines, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Rhino, Extra Storm Bolter

Chaos Marines
Sorcerer Lord, Terminator Armour, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash, Warptime, Combi-Melta
5x Chaos Termies, 1x Chainfist, 1x Powerfist, 1x Reaper Autocannon, 3x Combi-Melta, 1x Heavy Flamer
10x Berzerkers, 3 Plasma Pistols, Rhino, Daemonic Possession
10x Berzerkers, 3 Plasma Pistols, Rhino, Daemonic Possession
10x Chaos Space Marines, Icon of Khorne, 2(ish?) Plasma, Rhino
Defiler (stock)

The Game

Setup And Deployment

We rolled capture and control and spearhead deployment. He won the roll-off and elected to go first, picking the top left corner. The board was setup with one ruin in each deployment area as well as one in the top right. A few groups of trees were scattered about with one lonely hill in the bottom left. There was a piece of area terrain with a few vertical elements (cover saves! yay!) right in the middle of the map. He deployed first and I placed mine. After deployment, the board looked something like this:

Regular Assault Marines have yellow helmets, Veterans have grey. My 5-man RAS was in the rhino along with Brother Corbulo. Dante is attached to the RAS to the left. The Chaos player's front two rhinos contained his berzerkers while the rear rhino contained his standard CSMs.

Turn 1

Chaos

He advances his rhinos 12" and pops smoke on both of them. His termies advance 6" and open up on my RAS on the top right. Only one of the termies and the sorcerer lord are in range. I make my saves easily, but he lashes my squad. Movement... he gets 11"! He moves my squad far over to the left, right in front of the rest of my army. Bracing myself, I watch hopelessely as his defiler throws a shell onto my army... it hits dead on! My opponent grabs a fistful of dice, to which I respond with my own fistful. The end result... only a single marine is dead! o_O We take a second to stare at my dice before my opponent passes the turn over to me.

Blood Angels

"For Sanguinius!"

I move my VAS into position, one in front of each rhino. Dante switches which RAS squad he's with and positions themselves in-between the two rhinos. The other RAS move over to the left to prepare to charge and be in the way of his termies if something goes horribly wrong. Corbs' pimpin' chill ride slides up while his death company move up the flank. The left VAS unload their meltaguns into the left rhino, scoring two hits and two pens! My opponents rolls cover... a 4 and a 5! Gah, not a good start. My right VAS targets the right rhino and opens fire. Once again, two hits and two pens. Rolls for cover... box cars! Argh! Dante fires his perdition pistol into the left rhino, hitting it and scoring a pen. Roll for cover... 3! Hahaha! The rhino explodes, sending shrapnel 6" from its position. A single passenger dies while I lose 4 marines to the blast (would've been 5 if Corbulo hadn't been hanging around), one from each of my RAS and VAS. Dante, the left VAS, and the left RAS charge the berzerkers. All gain furious charge from Corbulo. My right RAS is unable to reach any of the zerkers, so they follow Dante into the other rhino. The zerkers get wiped out to man by the time their initiative arrives. He retaliates and fails to do anything. My powerfist swings and takes him out, finishing the squad off entirely. Against the right rhino, I manage to strip off its combi-bolter and shake it, but nothing else. In consolidation, I mainly try to spread out to avoid the defiler's template

Turn 2

Chaos

His termies advance on my left RAS. His zerkers hop out of their rhino, which proceeds to tank shock directly to the east. I pass morale on my VAS and RAS and my DC happily move out of its way. His termies lash my left RAS which proceeds to get mulched by another battle cannon round. Between the defiler and the termies, half that RAS is eliminated from the game. The zerkers throw some bolt pistol and plasma rounds into Dante's RAS and drop a few, Corbulo making another save. The termies charge my left RAS and the zerkers charge Dante's squad. On the left, the sorcerer takes out half the remaining RAS before they can swing. I make a couple chainsword swings but fail to do anything before I'm downed by power weapons. Dante kills a few berzerkers at their initiative, but the zerkers still make a ridiculous number of attacks before my RAS get to go. Saves are in and... Dante has made all of his and... I've only lost one RAS! My RAS swing back followed by my fist. After saves, only four zerkers are left of the original ten that charged me.

Blood Angels

I've lost a good number of my troops, but I'm not out yet. My VAS hop over the terrain and termies to head towards the defiler. They get obviously within 12", but seem to be out of 6". We'll know soon enough. My Death Company move into position to charge the terminator squad. My 5-man rhino RAS hops out and heads towards the empty Chaos rhino. Corbulo zooms forward to the left and continues to be the pimp master. In shooting, the first thing I do is head up towards my VAS and the defiler. Only one VAS looks to be within 6" of the defiler, so I shoot his squad first. The closest meltagun is exactly... 6 1/4" away! Gah! I fire anyways (might as well, eh?). I only score one hit. Roll to pen... 6! Roll on the damage chart... 6+1=7! It super explodes! The defiler dissapears, leaving nothing but a lonely rhino and a few chaos marines guarding his objective. In combat, my RAS on the right charge the rhino but fail to do anything (stupid 6's to hit!). Dante eliminates all but one zerker before they get to swing; the zerker fails miserably and then falls to my mighty re-rolling chainsword of doom. My death company assault the termies and make a mighty show of it! Two go into the sorcerer, who takes two wounds. The rest manage to down three of the termies (despite him stacking all my rends on a single termie, haha). In return, I lose four of my death company! Argh, the pain!

Turn 3

Chaos

He backs his top rhino up towards the ruin, a little wary of my VAS. His bottom rhino tank shocks towards my objective, but I pass my leadership. Moving right to combat, his sorcerer and termies manage to finish off my death company, but I down another of the termies before getting wiped out.

Blood Angels

My VAS head towards his objective. Dante and company head towards the sorcerer and his loan termie buddy. Corbs swings upwards to support the VAS. My bottom RAS run around behind the rhino to see what some glancing bolt pistols will do (... *rolls* ... nothing!). In shooting, my VAS wreck the rhino and out pop the chaos marines. Dante's melta fails to hit and the bolt pistols do nothing to the sorc. However, on the charge, Dante eliminates the sorcerer and the RAS easily take out the final termie. They consolidate upwards. My VAS both manage to roll high enough to charge the final chaos squad, so it's on to dangerous terrain. In my left squad, both my meltagunners managed to roll 1's, leaving only the power sword model. In the left squad, both the meltagunners there also manage to roll 1's (*twitch*); however, this means the two models behind them cannot even make it into assault! (o_O... O_O... >_&lt My lone VAS does the best he can, knocking out a single chaos marine before getting mulched. My RAS make the rhino explode (yay!), killing off one of their own (boo!). They consolidate onto my objective.

Turn 4

The Chaos player takes out the last of my VAS and sits on his objective. On my turn, Dante and co. move up. Corbs has nothing better to do, so moves 18" up and to the left as far as he can go. Seeing assault was inevitable, my opponent conceded the game.

Victory for the Blood Angels!

And, with that, I'm now one row below the top spot. If I can win my game against him (I've got one challenge tag left!), I'll be in a position to get a seat in the final tournament. Hopefully he'll be at the store this coming week, should be a fun game.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Blood Angels vs Chaos Marines - Feb 20/10

Awesome game!
It's good to see that the Blood Angels can do fine work.
It must have been nerve wracking to see that Shell go off. I'm a bit surprised that he didn't clear a fire lane for the Defiler, but well... what can you do, eh? Stellar job on the saves btw.
Also, I must compliment your use of VASSAL. It looks nice (although I think your Rhinos are all the same?), and it's easy to follow the mayhem.
BTW, did you take Corbs and Dante for the "bubble of death" or was there more insidious thinking in mind?
In short, great rep, keep it up, good luck on the league!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Thanks for the comments, man.

Now that I look at it, it is a little strange he blocked the fire lane. Oh, well, all the better for me, haha.

Yeah, VASSAL's a lot of fun, and very easy to use once you get used to it. The Rhinos are much more distinct in Vassal, but in converting from png to jpg and downsizing, the graphics got mulched up and the BA and WE symbols aren't nearly as clear as they should be. Something to keep in mind for next times, thanks.

Corbs is the only one I take for his bubble of death. I find I5 is all I really need to beat down most other assault armies (as I'm generally at least going simul, faster opponents tend to lose a lot to bolt pistols) as I avoid stupid things like twin lightning claws. Dante I take mainly as a beat stick. The effect he has on WS4 and WS5 opponents is ridiculous, never mind preferred enemy. People get thrown for a loop when their zerkers are hitting on 4's, haha. For me, he's a great hammer (reliably taking out a tac squad over 2 combat phases by himself? "Look at me, I'm invincible!"). It's just gravy that he makes everything around him better at combat. I can and have used other hammer units, I just really enjoy Dante.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 23:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Awesome report. I've never seen a chaos player use the wound allocation to their advantage like that. Props to him for thinking outside the box.

Kudos on the very well deserved win. Flying into the face of a chaos army with lash, bezerkers AND (just for good measure) an ordinance weapon, and coming out the victory is no mean feat. Still you managed it. Good job!

The rhinos were clear to me. His had bloody buzzsaws of death on their front. ;D
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote