Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1500, 2/18) in "When Harry met the Trygon"
Old 19 Feb 2010, 14:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1500, 2/18) in "When Harry met the Trygon"

Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1500, 2/18) in "When Harry met the Trygon"

Hi All,
Another Dogboy adventure!
I managed to setup another Tyranid game, but only at 1500 (sadly enough, not enough bugs for a bigger game).
Rolf and Co were ready to go, and I had hopes I could do something (umm... meaningful) with them.
Still, the Nids are the new Codex, so we'll have to see how they do.
And for some horrific reason, I've accidently lost VASSAL.
Working to get it back. Will try to try to add pics later. Please try to be patient
Still, enjoy the fluff and the work and let me know how you like it!

Best,
-BT

Space Wolves (1500pts): 39 Infantry, 2 Vehicles; 13 KPs
Rolf "Dogboy" Blacktooth (Wolf Guard Battle Leader w/ Thunderwolf Mount, Power Fist, Stormshield)
Lady Agatha Brimstone (Inquisitor Lord w/Psycannon, Hood, Sage, Targeter, Mysticsx2, Gun Servitor w/Plasma Cannon)
Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith and "Peckers" the Cyberraven (Rune Priest w/ Chooser of the Slain)
Sigvald Ironfang (Iron Priest w/Thunderwolf Mount, Cyberwolvesx4)
Callidus Assassin
Grey Huntersx8 w/Meltagun, TH/C-Melta WG in Rhino
Grey Huntersx9 w/Meltagun, PF/C-Melta WG in Rhino
Thunderwolf Calvaryx4 w/PF, SS, Meltabomb
Long Fangsx5 w/ Missle Launchersx4, Wolf Guard

Tyranid Swarm! (1500pts): 73 Infantry; 12 KPs
Warrior Prime w/Toxin Sacs
Hive Guardx3
Zoanthropesx3 in Pod
Genestealersx8
Hormagauntsx20 w/Toxin Sacs
Termagauntsx16
Termagauntsx16
Tervigon w/Toxin Sacs
Tervigon w/Toxin Sacs
Ravenerx3
Trygon

"Well, that planet's right screwed."

A number of the Space Wolves had to agree to "Mad Harry" Runesmith, Rune Priest of the Space Wolves. Their Battle Barge had dropped out of Warpspace a short time ago, and was orbiting a small planet known as Auric IV. The planet had clearly seen better days, as it was beset by a small arm of a Tyranid invasion (relatively). The local PDF forces had done decently well at keeping it back, but then it was beset by an Ork WAARGH (Grumgutz!). The remains of the PDF could not keep both threats at bay, and as if responding to the Greenskins, additional Tyranid forces started to arrive. Tyranid and Ork forces started to battle in space, and the fighting continued on the ground. It was, in short, a mess.

However, that same chaos allowed the Space Marines to slip in unnoticed. Lady Agatha Brimstone of the Inquisition was more interested in something else. The Tyranids normally generated a substancial "Shadow" in the Warp, which made psychic powers difficult. Normally, the "uninquisitive" minds of the Imperium had left it as such, but Agatha had looked into the ebb and flow of the Tyranid's Shadow. Just before the new onslaught of Tyranid forces, there had been a significant spike in Psychic effects, which lead her to believe that a significant Tyranid had been spawned in the area. If this "Master" of the Swarm could be found, and then psychically destroyed, it might send the Swarm into disarray, if only temporarally. It was a great deal of conjecture, but if the influence of the Hive Mind could be stymied, it would give the planet a fighting chance.

She glanced over to her friends and the Space Wolves.

Sam and Samantha, the Mystic twins, had grown a bit since they were out of stasis. They were holding onto each other's hands with a death grip. As psychics, they could feel the alien nature of the Tyranids all too well. Elsa the Combat Servitor, stood as quiet as ever in the corner, waiting for orders. Although not too happy about out in the open, the Callidus had joined the others, and was currently wearing the form of a young woman. Agatha smirked a bit, as the Long Fangs kept trying to "casually" wander around the room, taking more than a gander at the skintight outfit the Assassin was wearing. The distraction kept most of the Wolves from interfering with her work, except for the leaders of the Space Wolves: Iron Priest Sigvald Ironfang and Wolf Guard Battle Leader Rolf Blacktooth.

She sighed, watching the two men talk about whatever it is Space Marines talk about before a massive battle. Although they were a bit different than what she was hoping for, the Space Wolves still continued to impress her. She hoped that they would be able to make an impression on the Tyranids as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you think they're sisters?"

Iron Priest Sigvald Ironfang glanced in disbelief at his best friend, and commander, Wolf Guard Battle Leader Rolf Blacktooth.
"Rolf, are we still talking about this? We're going to be assaulting sodding Tyranids in a few hours."

Rolf nodded, scratching his head.
"So... cousins then?"

Sigvald sighed, "Rolf, the Inquisition is not a family business. There's millions of them, and the chances that two Agents could be related is very, incomprehensibly small."

Rolf nodded.

"That, and the one wearing black has better cheekbones."

Rolf looked at his friend in surprise. "Sigvald?"

"I'm not dead Rolf. I just don't feel the need to transform into a drooling moron whenever a pretty girl walks by."

The Iron Priest paused, adding, "But it doesn't mean that I don't notice things. And it's nice to at least meet a woman who doesn't incessantly chatter and send us off to secret death missions without telling us anything."

Rolf shrugged, "Well, it's not as if we would do much differently. You know Sigvald, I'm really quite excited, I've always wanted to fight Tyranids!"

"So you keep telling me Rolf. We just have to be careful, remember that they're more dangerous than they look. Especially the big ones. And..."

"Mr... Mr. Rolf?"

The two Space Marines looked over to see the quivering forms of the two Mystics, Sam and Samantha. The two youngsters had grown attached to Rolf (as Rolf was the only one who had ever thought to put them on his shoulders and play "Thunderhawk") and looked nervously at the planet below. The twins rarely spoke, and when they did, they did so in an eerie simultaneous fashion.

"Oh, hi Sam, Samantha, is something wrong?"

"We... We... We think you're going to die." The two Mystics paused, still looking down at the planet. "Yes, the two of you. It'll be painful. We're... (sniffle) sorry."

Sigvald paled a bit, but Rolf shrugged.

"Well, yes, we're fighting Tyranids. But we'll try not to. You know, die. Thanks though."

The twins looked at each other. "You're... you're not mad?"

Rolf scratched his head. "Not really, we all die, and if you die well, you get to go to meet the All-Father and Russ and have great parties and all. But it's good to know that there's a chance of it. Do we die well?"

The twins paused, "... Probably."

Rolf nodded, "Oh, then there's nothing to worry about."

Rolf ruffled their hair and sent them on their way.

Sigvald paused, shaking his head, "Rolf, I don't know if you're a genius or a dolt at times."

"Well Sigvald, if it makes you feel any better, I don't know either. Still, it's good to know that there's a good fight down there. What could go wrong?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deep in the Forests of Auric IV, the Swarmlord and the remains of the Tyranid force began to muster. There was little to be done at this point, as the Orks of WAARGH Grumgutz had brought them to a standstill. Additional reinforcements would be necessary. The Swarm was having difficulty fighting through the belligerant greenskins, and was still suffering losses from PDF batteries. No matter, as a small contingent of Tyranids had managed to survive and join up with the Swarmlord. Still, the Swarmlord noted that his presence would be needed elsewhere. The Orks had stormed one of the larger Hive Ships, and the loss of such needed Biomass would be unforgivable. The Swarmlord quickly excavated a massive hole and crouched into it, pulling the dirt in after it. Although it could feel it's mind moving back to the engaged Hive Fleet, it's body would be protected by the remainder of the Tyranid forces until it could return. It was a gamble, but the Swarm cannot be stopped.

Mission: Command and Conquer
Setup: Pitched Battle
Terrain: Forest

Pre-Game Thoughts: Oh this is going to be a doozy. Never fought against the Nids with Marines before, and this is going to be interesting. Wow, that's a lot of guants, and with two Tervigons, that means there's more on the way. And the Warrior Prime and Trygon are going to be troublemakers that's for certain. Podding Zoe's are going to be problematic I'm sure as well. But it'll be a good fight, that's for certain!

SW win the roll and setup first.

The Terrain was fairly open, with a few hills and quite a bit of forests. A single piece of terrain was in the back of one of the sides. Liking one of the hills quite a bit, I took that side, and put the Long Fangs and Agatha on it. Harry with his Rhino went to the right, with Sigvald and his Cyberwolves next to him. Rolf and his Thunderwolves went to the left, with the other Grey Hunter Rhino there as well. The SW objective goes down in front of the Long Fangs and Agatha.

The Nids took a bit of time to setup, but did so pretty well, with the two Termagaunts in front to screen the rest of the troops. The Hormagaunts went in the center, linked up with the Warrior Alpha who stood near the center. Also in the center was the Raveners and the Hive Guard. One of the Tervigons went to the right flank, with the genestealers in front of him. The other Tervigon went to the now very crowded center. The Nid objective went down front and center, just in front of the patch of cover.

With all of that setup, the Nids tried to steal the initiative, but failed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agatha checked her modified Auspex again. Increased heat signitures in the area definitely meant the Tyranids were headed this way. Unfortunately so were the Orks. Still, the green Xenos had managed to push the Tyranids out of the deeper sections of the woods. They seemed to be congregating in one section, and that meant that her target was perhaps close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 1: SW
Before anything happens, the Callidus does her magic and pushes the Hormaguants in the back out and partially into cover, making sure to wedge the Warrior Alpha in there nice and deep.

The Rhinos move a bit to the right and the Iron Priest and Thunderwolves all run forwards.

Shooting is pretty well straight on, as Agatha and Elsa manage to take down a Hive Guard and put a wound on another. The Long Fangs and Harry join forces to Krak Missle/Living Lighting the center Tervigon and take a few wounds off the big bug.

Turn 1: Nids
The Tyranids all move forward. The Warrior Alpha separates from the Hormagaunts, as he's just too stuck in. The Guants all run forward as does, well, everyone.

One Tervigon manages to poop out 8 gaunts, but then gets burnt out. The other Tervigon, for some reason, decides not to make any guants, but pulls back a bit.

The Tervigons try to use catalyst, but with a mental Inquisitorial Backhand, Agatha's Psychic Hood shuts them down.

Turn 2: SW
The Rhinos move to the right and disembark their two squads of Grey Hunters. They rapid fire in and destroy one unit of Guants. Harry casts Murderous Hurricaine and takes down a Genestealer.
The Long Fangs and Agatha combine shooting forces, and manage to take down a Ravener and another Hive Guard.

Assault is pretty nasty, as Rolf and the Thunderwolves assault in and hit the Hormagaunts and a big Gaunt block. They take no wounds and down a dozen of the little gribblies! After no retreat wounds, they're entirely destroyed. Sigvald runs in and assaults the Tervigon. The Tervigon wiffs entirely, and takes grevious wounds. After it's No Retreat wounds, it's taken down as well.

Turn 2: Nids
The Pod fails to come in (yay!).

The Tyranids all move up, except for the genestealers who struggle to move towards Sigvald and lose a few due to Murderous Hurricaine (yahoo!).

The Gaunts fire a few shots at the Grey Hunters, but it is all for naught. The Hive Guard also tries to hit a Rhino but misses.

The Tervigon again tries to use Catalyst, but again Agatha shuts him down (She just made back her points in spades, good girl!).

Then assault hits, and the Nids show why they're the assault race as the Tervigon, Warrior Prime, Trygon and the Raveners assault the Thunderwolves. The Genestealers assault the Iron Priest.
The Stealers down all of the Wolves in a frenzy of rending six's, but the wolves and Sigvald manage to take down all but one stealer.

The Thunderwolf fight is just... nasty. The Trygon and Warrior Prime gang up and kill ALL of the Thunderwolves. Rolf however, bags a big Gribbly and takes down the Warrior Prime with a well placed Fist shot (or err... three actually).

Sigvald holds.

And Rolf at a -5 penalty... holds. <insert Space Wolf facepalm> Why, Rolf, why??

Turn 3: SW
Oh, Rolf was not supposed to hold. Darn too reliable Space Wolves!

The Callidus becomes available and I place her right next to the last Hive Guard.
The Space Wolves get into their Rhinos and drive further down the table.

Wolf shooting is pretty awesome as the Long Fangs, Harry and Agatha manage to eliminate the last of the guants, and the Callidus fries the last of the Hive Guard.

And assault... goes wrong, horribly wrong.

The Trygon hits with all of his attacks and Rolf ALMOST makes all of his 3+ Invul saves, but not enough and is brought down. The Nids all move forward.

And the last Stealer hits Sigvald and wounds him once. I fail his 2+ save...

Turn 3: Nids
The Pod still does not come in, but the Tyranids don't really need it.

The Raveners move towards the Rhinos, the Tervigon moves towards the Assassin, the Stealer heads towards the Nid objective and the Trygon... moves towards the Long Fangs...

Oh, so not good.

Assault is pretty bloodthirsty as the Trygon hits with 6 attacks and utterly obliterates the Long Fangs. The Raveners try to hit the Rhinos, but only one hits and fails to do any damage. The Tervigon wiffs on the Assassin, who wounds it back! It takes another wound from No Retreat.

Turn 4: SW
"Bollocks!" yelled Harry. "Do I gotta do everything myself?"

Hmm, time to help out. One unit of Grey Hunters disembarks and with a flurry of bolters and melta take care of the Raveners.
Harry and his crew move forward and disembark in the face of the Tervigon, daring it to assault them (and more importantly, cutting it off from the objective).

Turn 4: Nids
The Pod finally comes in.
It drops next to the Nid objective and the Zoanthropes pop out.

The Trygon moves next to Agatha, who just nods, readying herself for a very nasty assault.
The Tervigon moves over towards Harry.
And the Stealer manages to make it behind some LOS blocking cover to contest the Nid objective.

The Pod fires at the far away Rhino, hitting it, but only manages to shake it.
The Nid player had a tough choice at this point, as he really wanted to drop death down on Harry and the Grey Hunters, but he really needed to take out that Rhino.
The Zoanthropes try to hit the Rhino as well, but Agatha again shuts them down except for one Zoanthrope who manages to hit the Rhino, but only manages to knock off its Storm Bolter.

Assault is pretty predictable, as the Tervigon, trying to salvage the Zoanthropes (and perhaps enraged by Harry and Co's taunting regarding it's lack of sizable genitalia), assaults Harry and his crew, but the Rune Priest and his mates tear the wounded Tervigon apart for only a single loss.

The Trygon hits Agatha and her crew with another massive 6 hits and the Inquisitor falls...
And it gets a massive hop in consolidation, moving it back up the field.

Turn 5: Space Wolves
The Grey Hunters get back into their Rhino and zoom forward.

Harry and his crew look out at the massive Pod and Zoanthropes and realize they need to go down!
They move in close, and the Nid player can't believe that I'm going to assault them all! (Madness? This is not madness! THIS. IS. SPACE WOLVES!)

Harry's Rhino tank shocks the Genestealer, moving it away from the objective.

The Rune Priest assaults the Pod and the Grey Hunters hit the Zoanthropes.
The Zoanthropes (being brains on a stick), don't hurt the Grey Hunters, but the Hunters tear them apart. And Harry... oh, Harry...

The Pod wiffs it's attacks and Harry hits it, and "turns the key" of Force Weapon insta-death, killing the Pod! Mass cheers go up from the Space Wolves!

Harry and the Grey Hunters consolidate onto the Nid objective, blocking off any hopes of the Stealer taking it.

Turn 5: Nids
The Stealer hides, biding it's time and hoping for Turn 6.
The Inquisititor and Long Fang-smashing Trygon continues to move up the board, getting again an enormous run roll.

The Wolves have it... if the game ends...

And it doesn't. (gah!)

Turn 6: Space Wolves
The single empty Rhino maneuvers to try and block off the Nid Objective. The other Rhino full of Grey Hunters moves in and drops them off. Harry and a mass of Grey Hunters shoot the stealer to pieces.
Oh, that Trygon is so close... It has to get around a Rhino. But that other Rhino is too darn close to the objective though...

Turn 6: Nids
We check the distance, and he needs a 6 to get in and assault the Rhino, which would put him within 3" of the objective...
The entire game boils down to one roll...
Which he gets. The Trygon races in, fails to kill the Rhino, but it matters little, as he's within 3".
Now the Wolves need another turn....
Which doesn't happen.

Game Ends!

Result: Draw!

Post-Game Thoughts: Now this was a game! I thought it was pretty well wrapped up, but that darn speedy Trygon just took everything apart. Have to try and target him earlier next time. Six re-rollable attacks with an MC is just so, so wrong...
In any case, a good fight, and some amazing, lucky for with the Nids.
Everyone played well, but the fight's MVP's for the Wolves has to go to Harry, who cleared the entire backfield in a single swoop and pretty much almost took the fight after the others had dropped the ball. Oh, and of course Agatha who shut down all but one of the Nids powers with her massive Psychic Hood. If I could, I would smack Rolf upside the head and tell him to run away more often! And I'm kicking myself for rolling that one with Sigvald... (sigh)...
In any case, a great game, and that Trygon is now Public Enemy #1!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mad Harry" and the Grey Hunters snarled at the massive Trygon. The Trygon was big, nasty, but Harry had just taken down a big gribbly and one more wasn't scaring any of them.
The two forces of destruction looked at each other, and then they turned as they heard a familiar, far away sound.

"'Ere we Go!" "Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks!" "Get them bugs lads!"

Harry and the Trygon looked at each other, and swore in their respective gutteral tones.
The Orks would be just too much for either of them. As if understanding each other on some subconcious level, the Space Marine and Tyrand looked at each other with respect (and the assurance that the fight would continue at another time), turned, and headed away.
The Rune Priest sighed as he and the Grey Hunters began to quickly pick up the injured. He nodded that girls and children weren't dead and that Rolf and the Iron Priest were both heavily concussed and nearly dead, but only marginally more useless now than when conscious.
It was a good fight, too bad he had to finish it himself.
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2010, 14:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1500, 2/18) in "When Harry met the Trygon"

Wow you didn't win. LOL ;D

Unlucky by the way, some real luck on both sides and a great end result deserved by both sides. Seemed like an enjoyable game.

Brilliant as usual.

W o K
Old 19 Feb 2010, 15:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Wolves vs Tyranids (1500, 2/18) in "When Harry met the Trygon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will of kaos
Wow you didn't win. LOL ;D

Unlucky by the way, some real luck on both sides and a great end result deserved by both sides. Seemed like an enjoyable game.

Brilliant as usual.

W o K
Thanks for the reply!
It was a heck of a game. I was really crestfallen, as I thought I had it wrapped up pretty neatly until that Trygon just went nuts.
As for the win/tie/loss ratio:
I have to say that the Wolves are much harder to win with than my Orks, but I know that's probably inexperience (and that I have too many proxies! )

Best,
-BT
Old 19 Feb 2010, 19:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nice battle Bigtoof, I like the games with the Wolves as it adds a bit more variety.
The lack of pics doesn't really bother me, it makes the page load faster and due to the high level of proxies, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Again the fluff is superb and I couldn't ask for more on that front.

Gamewise, great as normal. Makes a change that you didn't completely obliterate the enemy. Do you reckon you could have won with turn 7?

Anyway, there isn't really much that I can say so, well done, looking forward to the next one.
Old 19 Feb 2010, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
Nice battle Bigtoof, I like the games with the Wolves as it adds a bit more variety.
The lack of pics doesn't really bother me, it makes the page load faster and due to the high level of proxies, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Again the fluff is superb and I couldn't ask for more on that front.

Gamewise, great as normal. Makes a change that you didn't completely obliterate the enemy. Do you reckon you could have won with turn 7?

Anyway, there isn't really much that I can say so, well done, looking forward to the next one.
Hi Cammerz!
Thanks for the reply.
Hmm, you don't mind it without VASSAL pics? Then maybe I won't struggle to find it then if that's people's feelings. Hope that the high points are clear.
Glad you liked the gameplay. Really, if Rolf could just have pulled back, then the Long Fangs and Agatha could have really taken the Trygon down a few pegs and it would be at least dealable. And I would have really pumped more shots into the Warrior Alpha if I knew he was that killy. He and the Trygon basically destroyed all of the Thunderwolves by themselves.
As for the Turn 7 win it would have been debatable. I had 4 melta shots (which can be unreliable), Harry's powers, and two WG with power fist/thunder hammer. And a bunch of Grey Hunters. Possible. Not sure, but it would have given us a fighting shot at taking it down. Heck, who knows, Harry might have Insta-killed the Trygon as well. I'm very tempted to give him Saga of the Beast Slayer after this one...
Also, glad you liked the fluff, as it helps explain where the Swarmlord and all those Nids disappeared to (i.e. dead). For some reason this tale had a lot of Harry, but I guess because he's the one that made it to the end this time.

Best,
-BT
Old 21 Feb 2010, 02:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Updates on VASSAL:
Replacement has been found. Possible pics up tomorrow!

Best,
-BT

P.S. People do want these, right? Just want to know before I invest in it
Old 21 Feb 2010, 05:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes! Pics good!

They really are; even though I can visualize the terrain at some times it's much more helpful to tell what is going on if you don't have to keep the terrain in your head as well as units' positions. I liked the report because the game was really good, but for some reason I felt it a bit lacking. :-\ Might have been the lack of pictures, but I also felt it was a little short on fluff.

Still waiting for the Triumphant return of the Drunken Long Fangs taking center in the fluff... but that's just me.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2010, 13:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
Yes! Pics good!

They really are; even though I can visualize the terrain at some times it's much more helpful to tell what is going on if you don't have to keep the terrain in your head as well as units' positions. I liked the report because the game was really good, but for some reason I felt it a bit lacking. :-\ Might have been the lack of pictures, but I also felt it was a little short on fluff.

Still waiting for the Triumphant return of the Drunken Long Fangs taking center in the fluff... but that's just me.
Ah!
Then I shall go right to it on VASSAL. I hope my skills are not too lacking.
And the fluff is too light?
Hmm... will have to do something about that.
And there is another Dogboy BatRep in the works as well. This one does have the Long Fangs doing... uh... what they do best. Sort of.

Best,
-BT