Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hive Fleet Argos Vs CSM: The Condemned----1500 points----2/16/10
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Hive Fleet Argos Vs CSM: The Condemned----1500 points----2/16/10

Silently the victorious fleet left behind another lifeless planet. On board the ships there was no rejoicing, no celebrating, or awards; the hive mind had no need for such things. Instead the new lessons were spread amongst the collective consciousness of the alien species, and even now their DNA was mutating to accommodate new and more deadly bio-warriors and weapons.

Hive fleet Argos, a splinter fleet from Leviathan named by the now extinct Harrow Trok PDF, narrowly escaped Sondheim V before exterminates could be performed. The fleet spent the next few years in the edges of Imperial controlled space building their biomass to a sufficient level before engaging formidable opponents.

Their numbers swelled to twice their size after consuming the world of Harrow Trok. It was there that the hive fleet adopted their new color scheme and learned the importance of breaking the human psyche. Lictors reported the stripped patterns of an omnivorous herd animal confused predators, and blended the herd as one, making it difficult to pick out individuals. Also seen were tree dwelling creatures that lurked in the shadows and held would be attackers at bay by brandishing what appeared to be many glowing eyes. The hive mind concluded the multiple eyes made the predators believe the danger to be too great as the number of prey were far greater than could be overcome. The local PDF ran in terror at what they thought were millions of Tyranids in an endless wave of black and white, while the actual numbers were a fraction of that.

Now the fleet descended onto Parsec VII following the beacon of a genestealer cult. Bioscans showed the planet rich in biodiversity, but that it was protected by the forces of Chaos. Hive fleet Argos adjusted its tactics, weaponry, and organism creation to meet the challenge, ready to claim another planet. The horde set up an ambush in a bombed out section of the industrial city Chelltin.

************************************************** ************************************

Mission: Annhilation
Deployment: Pitched Battle

Tyranids: Hive Fleet Argos
HQ:
Tyranid Prime, lash whip and boneswords = 95

Elite:
Zoanthrope = 60
Zoanthrope = 60
Hive Guard X 2 = 100

Troops:
Warriors X 4 with boneswords = 160
Termagants X 19 = 95
Tervigon with toxin sacs and catalyst = 185
Genestealers X 8 = 112
Hormagaunts X 20 with toxic sacs = 160

Fast Attack:
Shrike Brood X 4, barbed strangler = 150
Gargoyles X 16 with toxin sacs = 112
Spore mines X 3 = 30

Heavy:
Mawloc with adrenal glands = 180

CSM: The Condemned
Winged Daemon Prince Hytar of Slaanesh with lash
Winged Daemon Prince Tafarius of Slaanesh with lash
Chosen X 5, flamer X 3 in rhino
CSM X10, melta gun X 2, lead by champion Toshun in rhino
CSM X 10, plasma gun X 2, lead by champion Bocktar in rhino
Havocs X 10, heavy bolter X 3, plasma gun lead by champion Ish'katulaiomnis
Predator with autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons
Predator with autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons

Deployment: Hive fleet Argos won the roll but conceded first turn to the Condemned. All positions are realative to the hive fleet. Hytar and Bocktarís rhino deployed on the right flank, with the two predators taking up firing lanes in the middle. Tafarius deployed in front of the havocs, who are in a crater, and flanked on the left by Toshun in his rhino. The chosen decided to outflank the Tyranids.

The tervigon skulked behind a building on the right with the termigants, a zoanthrope, and the hormagaunts to his left. The Prime joined the warrior unit in the middle, and was flanked left by the shrike squad and the gargoyles who took cover behind an immense ruined church. The other zoanthrope and the hive guard made up the far left flank where the mawloc waited to burrow. The genestealers , natives to the planet, lay in ambush on the right flank behind a building.

This will be the only picture since I proxied the whole damn army. The craters and buildings were 4+ cover, the buildings with craters in them were difficult terrain. The aegis shilelds were 3+ cover, and the tank traps 5+ which also were impassable to vehicles.

Turn 1: The trap is sprung
T: The hive mind awakened the horde at once, and lulled the Chaos Marines into a trap by stealing the initiative (first time ever!!!). The entire line surges forward eager to use tooth and claw, while the mawloc digs deep into the ground. The hive guard wandered out of synapse but are able to stay focused and immobilized Toshunís rhino. The genestealers dart from the rubble and assault the rhino and predator, one managed to sacrifice himself by detonating the fuel cells in the predator tearing it apart in a massive explosion. A turret gunner on the rhino was decapitated as well the rhino now down a weapon.

C: The doors on the rhino open up and Boktarís men readied their bolters at the genestealers. Tafarius flew more to the left to get line of sight on the gargoyles, and Toshunís men disembark knowing what their prince had in store. Bolter fire tore through the genestealers, and in the end none were left alive; acceptable loss thought the Prime as they did their job. Tafarius called upon the powers of the warp and forced the gargoyles forward into rapid fire range of Toshunís men. In the end ten winged beasts were felled by them, and heavy bolter fire, though a few were spared by cover. Hytar also forced the swarm to move against their will and shifted the hormagaunts backward opening up a clear firing lane to the warriors by the predators. One warrior lost his head to autocannon fire and the Prime was wounded by a lascannon.
Score: T: 1 C: 1

Turn 2: Tremor time
T: Boktarís rhino is jostled forward as the ground erupted underneath it and the squad. Seven marines disappeared in the hole or in the mawlocís mouth. The rest of the horde used the distraction and rushed forward. With the rhino closer the zoanthrope blasted the left track off the tank immobilizing it. The other zoanthrope, with the help of the hive guard, took two wounds off of Tafarius. The shrike squad charged into Toshun. Two marines fell to scything talons and one warrior took a pair of wounds as well.

C: Hytar and the remaining marines in Bocktarís squad maneuvered around a couple of spore mines to engage the termagants. The predator rotated to bring its guns to bear on the mawloc and glanced him with the lascannon. Hytar lashed the termagants forward into charge range, while his brother failed to call upon his psychic powers. Four more gargoyles are brought down by heavy bolter fire, though they would have been wiped out if not for their effective use of cover. The shrike brood are brought down by Toshunís power fist, and seven termagants are slaughtered by Hytar and Boktar.

Score: T: 1 C: 2

Turn 3: Beware the shadow of the warp
T: Once again the mawloc burrowed deep into the earth as the horde advanced and the two remaining gargoyles took cover behind a building. The terivgon produced sixteen termagants to aid in the battle, but ran out of biomass to create more. The new termagants raced forward at the immobilsed rhino in front of them. A spore mine detonated on Boktar vaporizing two termagants, but clearing a pathway to the daemon prince. The hormagaunts took advantage and charged towards the melee. Shooting was ineffectual but in assault Boktar and Hytar are slain by the hormagaunts and the rhino is wrecked by the termagants who all consolidate toward the havocs.

C: Tafarius wandered too close to the zonathrope and couldnít concentrate due to the shadow of the warp. This ruined the plans of the marines and they were forced into dire circumstances and the Prime and his warriors stayed safely in the church out of line of sight. The havoc opened up on the hormagaunts and killed five but faced many more. The predator hit the right side zoanthrope dead center with its lascannon, but the shot was deflected by a strange warp field.

Score: T: 4 C:2

Turn 4: Reinforcements arriveÖÖtoo late?
T: The Prime busted through the church door, but was slowed just enough to leave Tafarius safe from his charge. The hormagaunts fleet between the havocs and Toshunís squad, while the termagants stay out of line of sight from the heavy bolters. The mawloc again burrowed up on target and swolled three of Toshunís marines. The left zoanthrope and hive guard send Tafarius back to the warp with shooting. The Prime, warriors, and hormagaunts charged Toshunís squad and wipe them out, the Prime cleaving four in half by himself.

C: The chosen finally decided to join the fight and come in on the left flank, disembark from their rhino, and flame the Primeís squad. Between promethium and bolter fire the Prime is killed along with two warriors and a pair of hormagaunts.

Score: T:6 C: 3

Turn 5: The end is nigh
T: Everything that can surges into charge range. A chosen is blown apart by the lone warriorís devourer, and their ride is immobilized and the crew stunned by the hive guard. The lone warrior and remaining hormagaunts charge the chosen, and the mawloc stumbled into the crater to tie up the havocs. One chose is ripped apart to one hormagaunt, and the mawloc does the same. The termagants swarm over the predator and dismantle a lascannon.

C: The predator crew gunned the engines to try and escape, but manage to immobilize the tank in a crater. A chosen stabbed the warrior in the chest but was then pierced several times by a hormagaunt along with another marine. The last chosen tried to flee but was easily caught by the hormagaunts. The mawloc was unable to crush any of the nimble havocs, and took two more wounds to the power fist.

Score: T:7 C: 3

Turn 6: The slaughter continued
T: The hive guard blew up the chosenís rhino, and the predator was torn open by the termagants, and the crew killed. The warrior and hormagants aided the mawloc and dispatched havocs at the loss of the last warrior.

Score: T:10 C:4

Result: Another city purged of life by Hive Fleet Argos

Postgame thoughts: Well this was a trial run to see if I wanted to start collecting Tyranids again, and replace my Space Marines. All I have to say is, ďbye bye marinesĒ. The new nids are so different and fun to play. I was worried about the double lash, since I had no vehicles to hide in, but his list wasnít optimized to take advantage of the power.

So, now Iíll do a bit of my observations on the units:

Tyranid Prime:
He really is cheap for what you get, and I like that he canít get insta killed by lascannons. That helped a lot in the beginning of the game. I felt like his unit was too slow though, and my opponent said I should put them in a pod but I donít want to rely on reserves or build my army around that theme. As can be seen with his chosen reserves can kill you. Plus heís synapse and in a pod my gaunts would be vulnerable to instinctive behavior. Wargear wise I think he was perfect. Canít wait to convert one.

Zoanthrope:
I know these things are all the rave, and Iíll probably still always include two, but having only one shot hinders them. Iím used to the massed fire of Orks, and even with his BS4 youíll miss. I feel like I have the same luck with my hammerheadís railgun; lots of 1ís and 2ís to hit, or on the damage chart. They are synapse though, so that is a bonus, plus their blast shot is great.

Hive Guard:
I really liked these guys. My first list didnít include them, but I think they are well worth taking. Their guns are longer range than the zonanthrope, and not needing LOS helped a lot. Having two shots a piece meant I was always doing some damage too. I wish they were AP3, but then theyíd probably cost a lot more. I failed my institive behavior once, but that was just bad deployment on my part. They still ended up shooting what I wanted to though.

Tyranid warriors:
These guys were decent, I just need to keep them from getting insta killed. I think in the future Iíll give them adrenal glands. Itís nice that boneswords are power weapons, but they only hit at strength 4, and Iím used to Ork weapons granting strength bonuses. Iíll also kit them out to be entirely close combat by taking the devourers off and giving them scything talons. They need to be running, so I donít want to tempt myself by giving them guns.

Termagants:
With the adrenal glands from the tervigon these guys were beasts and took out a rhino and a predator. I think Iíll have to buy a lot of them in case my tervigon spits out more than 16. Iíll keep these guys bear bones too, since theyíll get the buffs from the tervigon.

Tervigon:
I really liked this unit. Iím used to playing vehicles so I hide him first round, but I should deploy him in the open and close to the gaunts to buff them and add synapse. That will probably draw some of the fire off my warriors too. I like the fact that you can choose whether or not to make gaunts, since we were playing KP I didnít want to spit out a ton of units so I waited, and it worked out nicely. I will add toxin sacs to him next time in addition to the adrenal glands though. If my termagants had the toxin sacs I donít think the daemon prince would have charged them. I never ended up using the catalyst power, but Iíll keep it for now because I know it can come in very handy.

Genestealers:
When I think of Tyranids these are the first bugs I think of. Having a fleeting/infiltrating unit for just over 100 points is nasty. I know a lot of people probably outflank them, but in 5th most seem to forget about infiltrating, and I think its more useful. I gladly sacrificed them to take out the predator, plus it got the marines out of the rhino who were then rapped by the mawloc the next turn. I actually might take out a warrior from each squad to add another squad of genestealers. They are the perfect distraction unit.

Hormagaunts:
With toxin sacs and their speed I can see them being the bane of monstrous creatures, and with their high intitiative they did very well against the marines as well. I know they lost some movement, but I found them plenty fast enough with their new rules. Iíll always take them, and want another squad too if I donít end up getting more genestealers.

Shrike Brood:
Like the genestealers their job was to be a distraction, and they did that. They are nice and fast, but the one thing they lacked was hitting power. My next list has them all with boneswords and lash whips. I felt like they were wasted in combat since the talons still let the marines take armor saves. What are people using for wings on these guys?

Gargoyles:
I always liked them, and I had the flamethrowing ones in 2ed; wish they still had that option. They were nice and fast and distracted the havocs well. If he didnít have lash Iím sure they would have done better. Hopefully theyíll do actual damage against my next opponent.

Spore mine cluster:
I only added this cause I had 30 points left over. Against a mechanized army they really wonít do much, but if you play horde a lot I can see them being nasty. Also in dawn of war deployment you can really screw with your opponent. They were pretty much ignored in this game, but when the last two blew up it did kill just enough termagants to let my hormagaunts charge the daemon prince.

Mawloc:
I really really liked this creature. That terror from the deep power is so cool and effective. Iím sure in the future people are going to place their fire lines in buildings to stop them from dying, but that is still making them play your game and reacting to you. It never came up but we werenít sure if youíd get a cover save from the damage taken as he arrives. I figure you would if the unit his was in terrain. He did kind of suck in close combat though with so few attacks and hitting on 4ís. I think Iíll just use him to burrow or go after vehicles that canít strike back in the future.

Hope you enjoyed. C & C welcome and appreciated.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 04:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to TraceofToxin
Default Re: Hive Fleet Argos Vs CSM: The Condemned----1500 points----2/16/10

I find the best thing to do with warriors is field large groups of them. 7 warriors is expensive (300 point range with upgrades), but it eats up a LOT of the opponent's heavy fire. With a few Zoes/Hive guard, they have to decide if they want to kill your troop killers or your tank killers, meanwhile you can field -hordes- of gaunts who are very underrated.

Great job though. Got pretty lucky using the stealers on that predator!
TraceofToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 05:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks. Hopefully it will be the first of many Tyranid battreps.

Maybe if I was playing a higher point game, or got rid of all the flying creatures I could field a larger warrior squad, but not now. I think if he didn't have lash I would have been ok because I would have gotten the 4+ save from being behind the hormagaunts.

I wasn't too lucky with the genestealers. I was 12" away from the start, so I didn't need great fleet or move through cover rolls to get to it. I split the squad, 4 on the rhino and 4 on the predator. Both were immobile so I auto hit, and that's 12 hits on rear armor 10 so any 6 is a penetrating hit due to rending. Statistically I should have penned both tanks twice, but that didn't happen. I got lucky in the explosion only killed one genestealer. Didn't matter though cause I knew they were going to die in my opponent's turn, but that was the plan all along.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 05:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to TraceofToxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Thanks. Hopefully it will be the first of many Tyranid battreps.

Maybe if I was playing a higher point game, or got rid of all the flying creatures I could field a larger warrior squad, but not now. I think if he didn't have lash I would have been ok because I would have gotten the 4+ save from being behind the hormagaunts.

I wasn't too lucky with the genestealers. I was 12" away from the start, so I didn't need great fleet or move through cover rolls to get to it. I split the squad, 4 on the rhino and 4 on the predator. Both were immobile so I auto hit, and that's 12 hits on rear armor 10 so any 6 is a penetrating hit due to rending. Statistically I should have penned both tanks twice, but that didn't happen. I got lucky in the explosion only killed one genestealer. Didn't matter though cause I knew they were going to die in my opponent's turn, but that was the plan all along.
Using hormies as a screen is pretty effective since they're almost guaranteed to be infront of the warriors. Although, psychologically, using the warriors in the center of the map helps draw attention away from the swarms on the sides. People tend to focus on HQs and what they perceive as threats. 6 warriors is a big unit of what they expect to be brutal damage, whereas 20-30 hormagaunts people look at as something as a secondary threat. Sadly they're mistaken.

Statistics aren't all that reliable Getting an explosion on the first turn, I consider that some good luck.
TraceofToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 11:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

Excellent report! +1
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2010, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the cookie; my bugs were hungry. I think you can move this to the battrep sub forum now, since its getting to the bottom of the page, and so others can see it. Thanks.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Scoutfox!
Where was this one hiding?
Keen rep, if a bit brutal midway through.
Understandable about the proxies. I feel the weight of concern.
Didn't know you were a formal Nid player
And I do have to lament the "loss" of another Ork player...
(Although it's more like diversification!)

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 00:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Likin' the fluff. Following a splinter fleet into becoming a full fledged fleet of its own is a cool idea. Especially liked the part about using herd tactics to confuse the PDF.

As for the game itself, that mawloc seemed like it was out of control! Seemed like it was eating chaos marines every turn.

Beating lash is tough, so I give you full marks for strength of schedule here. Well done!

As bigtoof alluded to, it's kinda funny that the three of us have all diversified. Droofus with IG? BigToof with Space Wolves? Scoutfox with Tyranids? Something is wrong with the universe! ;D But it's definitely a good thing. I'm liking your idea for nids. Looking forward to seeing more of them.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

@Bigtoof: The mods on the nid boards like people to post the battreps there first so the players get the first look at them, and karma can be rewarded.

Well I have 12 termagants now so that's a few proxies gone, and I've got 15 hormagaunts and a zoanthrope on the way. Hopefully I'll be able to trade away my space marines and get all the units I want. Then I'll be able to take some pictures. Its much easier to see what's going on through photos/vassal rather than just words.

Back in the day, a long time ago, I played nids as a teenager. Back then I got my butt kicked a lot though because everyone just murdered my bugs with overwatch shooting. I wish I knew where my old models were, but o-well.

Don't think I'll ever stop being an Ork player as they are too fun to model, play, and write fluff for. Even now I'm working on a pair of skorcha buggies.

@Droofus: Did you just refer to yourself in the 3rd person? Good to see the that even though we are getting new armies we're still staying on TO and posting battreps.

Glad you liked the fluff, I just hope the paint scheme actually looks good. Not sure how I'll keep telling their story though if I want it from an Imperial point of view or try writing as a nid.

Yes, that mawloc was nasty though he sucked once I got him into combat with the havocs. It pretty much ate an entire squad by himself. I hope it continues to be that good in the future. I see a lot more lists with trygons instead, but I like the idea of a monster coming out of the ground to devour the enemy.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 15:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
@Droofus: Did you just refer to yourself in the 3rd person?
It's okay. I put it in italics, so it's not crazy. Droofus does that all the time...
;D

Quote:
Glad you liked the fluff, I just hope the paint scheme actually looks good. Not sure how I'll keep telling their story though if I want it from an Imperial point of view or try writing as a nid.
If you can pull off writing as a nid more power to you! However, I think that your neutral observer narrator is pretty interesting, as it gives insight into both sides. If you want an actual in-story narrator, consider using an Inquisitor or Eldar Farseer who is trailing the splinter fleet and studying them.

Quote:
Yes, that mawloc was nasty though he sucked once I got him into combat with the havocs. It pretty much ate an entire squad by himself. I hope it continues to be that good in the future. I see a lot more lists with trygons instead, but I like the idea of a monster coming out of the ground to devour the enemy.
I just went on the GW site to look at the stat differential between the Mawloc and the Trygons. He's really a pushover in combat compared to them. But that's only in comparison to them - he's still a super tough monster that the enemy will find hard to kill. And as you say, being able to eat people as you arrive is just too cool.

You've definitely gone non-standard with some items on your list. I'm looking forward to your next reports.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote