Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemon Hunters vs Tau 1000pts [07/02/2010]
Old 07 Feb 2010, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Daemon Hunters vs Tau 1000pts [07/02/2010]

Brought out my Daemon Hunters yesterday, for some Saturday gaming. Even came back with a whole bunch of free white dwarves too, which is nice.

My 1000pt list.

Stern
two 9 man squads of Grey Knights. Justicar w/Unguents of warding, frags, targeter, meltabombs.
Storm troopers x7, x2 meltaguns
Dread with missile, lascannon, extra armour, blessed
Melta Torpedo.

My 1500pts list.

Stern.
Two 9 man squads of Grey Knights. Justicar w/Unguents of warding, frags, targeter, meltabombs.
One Grey knight squad of 5 men, x2 psycannons, justicar armed as above.
One Grey knight Teleport squad of 5 men, x2 Incinerators, justicar armed as above.
Inquisitor w/Scourging, artificer armour, two mystics, plasmacannon servitor.
Two dreads with blessed, extra armour and lascannon. One with missile launcher too.

[hr]

First game against Tau, 1000pts

Crisis Suit hero, w/ two sheild drones, plasma rifle, missile pod.
Suit with AFP, flamer
3 stealth suits, one with target lock and fusion blaster.
One large squad of fire warriors
One unit of 12 Kroots
Devilfish with six or seven pathfinders.
Hammerhead with burst cannons, railgun.
Broadside with missiles and railgun.

Mission was Dawn of War, secure and control. A rive cut the table in half between us, with woods in the middle, multi-level flat-roofed building on my right flank, bastion in the top right corner, and other assorted terrain around. We both deployed out objectives amongst craters and woods in the middle, with around an 8" gap between them.

He won first turn, so he deployed his Firewarriors in the bastion in the top right quarter, and the kroots in the woods near his objective. The commander suit deployed near the bastion, hidden.

I deployed my stormtroopers behind some woods near the back of my deployment, and stern and one of the 9 man units to the left of the clump of woods in the middle, in order to avoid the fire warriors.

I then stole the Initiative! Yay!

Turn 1

I bring in the Dread behind the build on my right, while the Second grey knight unit also comes in at that same spot. I chose the Tower ruin in the back middle of my opponents Deployment zone as the target for my Orbital strike durring deployment. The storm troopers move into the woods, while stern and his entourage move towards the kroot. I fire all my units at the kroot, but due to night fight and him going to ground, he lost only three models.

My opponent had opted to deepstrike the suits in reserve, while the broadside and hammerhead come on in the far right flank, while the pathfinders and their fish appears in the middle of the table. His kroot are pinned, and nothing else of his can fire, due to night fight.

Turn 2.

Orbital Strike fails to arrive . I keep creeping my Grey knights closer to the middle. Dread fires at the Devilfish, stunning it. My Grey knights and Stormm Troopers all shoot at the Kroot again, who predictably go to ground and save most of their wounds.

In his turn, the Stealth Suits pop in behind my dread. His commander creeps around the building.

In shooting, his fire warriors, Broadsides all fail to shoot my grey knights due to Shrouding. The Stealth suits shake my dread with their fusion blaster, and drop one marine from on greyknight squad near them. The pathfinders makerlight my stormtropers to reduce their cover, while the hammerhead smacks them rough with it's submunition. The only model I have left is a meltagun dude, he passes moral though.

Turn 3
Orbital Strike comes in.

Storm trooper pops out of the woods, to lead the charge on my opponents objective, followed by stern and buddies. THe other Grey knight unit also dashes into the middle. Dread spins around to charge the stealth suits. Not so sneaky now are you? The shoot phase has me shooting at kroot again, felling a couple more. They chose not to go to ground. Dread charges the Stealth suits, which end up having one of their number crushed to a bloody pulp by my dread, and flee across the table. Almost forgot about the Orbital strike, it missed everything.

The Crisis suit drops in this turn, right in front of the squad without Stern, while the stealth suits keep running. The devilfish jumps next to the kroot, who all pile onboard. Pathfinders mark sterns squad, but the shrouding makes all the rest of his shooting mostly pointless. The commander is finally able to shoot my dread, but the shots ping off my armour, while the drop-pod suit shoots it's ordinance and flamer at my Greyknights squad, killing one knight.

Turn 4
Up until this point, the game was fairly straightforward. Shoot the kroot, ignore everything else, get into the middle. Shrouding was working well in my favor, turning the Tau's advantage into a disadvantage. However, moving the kroot would be trouble. The firewarriors were in a terrible spot, and the hammerhead and single broadside were of very little threat to me. I just needed to focus on clearing off the Kroot, and bunkering down in the middle.

The Greyknights on the left moved up next to the fleeing stealth suits, while the storm trooper and stern and pals approch the devilfish. In shooting, my Stormtroopers meltagun blows off the devilfishes burst cannon, while my dread immobilizes the Hammerhead with a nice pen. In assault, stern and pals are too far to charge the Devil fish, but the other squad charges the lone suit and the stealth suits in a double-charge, eliminating both targets. The storm trooper also charges the devilfish for the lulz, and actually hits it. But fails to glance with his frag grenade.

In the Tau turn, the Suit commander sneaks around the side of my dread. The Devilfish shoots it's gun drones at the last storm trooper, but I pass my save. Hammerhead and broadsides both kill a grey knight out of my right-squad, and the fire warriors also shoot them too, kocking down a few more, leaving the squad at three models. The Suit commander fires at my dread, and in a spectacular roll ends up getting two pens with the missile pod, and a glance with the plasmagun (Three sixs! Amazing!), the dread unfortunately wont find this as awesome, as he gets wrecked.

Turn 5

Game is nearly over, kroot in their devilfish are cramping my style, so I needed to be able to deal with both. My small three man squad, moves back to deal with the crisis suit (which in hindsight, I should have ignored). The storm trooper Shoots the Devilfish again, but misses, hilariously. The Grey Knights decide to do what the storm trooper couldn't. Stern, casts Hammerhand and tears the devilfish in half, the wreckage exploding debris all over the woods. The kroot and gundrones both suffer casualties and fall back. My other grey knights assaulting the Crisis suit bring it down, without much trouble.

The objetives were now mine, but I had to withstand at least one more round of the Tau fire.

In my opponents turn, he dedicated all his remaining fire into sterns squad and unfortunately, when the dust cleared only stern remained. At this point, the game ended with no one in control of either objective. Ended as a very close game.

Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2010, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Daemon Hunters vs Tau 1000pts [07/02/2010]

I've corrected Tau weapon list.

The Air fragmentation projector is not Ordinance (Tau has none of them), simply a barrage weapon.

Nice Game.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2010, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks! I knew it used the ordinance template, which is why I called it that. Not totally familiar with all the Tau gizmos and thing-a-ma-gigs.

Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08 Feb 2010, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good game, but as you said you would have won if you played the objectives better. I would have been shooting the devilfish with that dread instead of the hammerhead. Shrouding worked great for you, and that last stormtroopers needs to become a sgt. I fell like it took you forever to get to the middle of the table too; probably should have just run the marines instead of shooting at the kroot, or at least did a bounding overwatch approach.

Looks like the Tau and your army share the same color scheme, rogue inquisition turning to the greater good, or traitor Tau? Any chance you can get a close up shot of that bastion next time you're there, the paint job looks great from the pictures?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2010, 12:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, running would have been smarter, I also advanced a bit gingerly due to not wanting to be shot. I was not bold enough. I am not sure how upgrading the stormtrooper would make any difference. The SGT's are double the cost, but don't have any advance in leadership, and wargear will only make them more expensive. I would much rather pay 90pts for a squad, then 115pts for one of them upgraded as a SGT. with a powersword. Though, I am willing to listen to your suggestions for why a sgt. is worthwhile.

I am not sure how the guy has the same colours as me, pretty funny though. And I'll get a shot of the Bastion next time I am there for you.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08 Feb 2010, 12:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wasn't thinking gamewise you need to upgrade him to a Sgt, but just fluffwise because he survived. Maybe you could retire him instead.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2010, 12:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah okay, yeah I could do that. He had a meltagun though, so I cannot really upgrade 'him' but I can give him a medal or something. He did eventually die, but soaked up an ungodly amount of fire. I need to get a second squad of these bad-boys, or finish their Rhino.
Sigged.
~Friedrich Nietzsche