Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Redshirt gracious in defeat from tau (not)
Old 02 Feb 2010, 08:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Redshirt gracious in defeat from tau (not)

I went into my local gw store today, and a redshirt said "what do you have here today?" i said "tau" he is like "how many crisis suits and broadsides do you have" i said "6 crisis suits to choose from, no broadsides, i use hammerheads for my AT"

He said "ill give you a 1000pt game with my guard"

My thought...guard, he knows hammerheads are my only AT, so he might take a few leman russes. I take 2 hammerheads in 1000pts, as well as 3 fire warrior teams and 3 crisis suits (with a really expensive commander at 145 points)

He took 2 sentinels, the rest guardsmen, except 1 veteran squad...after me telling him i use hammerheads for AT not broadsides. We rolled dawn of war, anihalation. I deployed first, pushing him back. 2 templates on his guardsmen a turn killed him quick, and after the first turn when he had lost about 20 models he said "your tactics and strategy with your units are too good to have a fun from your opponents point of view. If you want to play fairly you should run a strategy which opponents stand a chance. I would be embarrassed to take this list to a tournament because it is unfair. All your army does is has firewarriors shoot and markerlight in cover up the back, suits jumping shooting jumping, and hammerheads killing at will..how do you beat that?"

Another staff member came up and said to his store manager "mate, your only getting owned because this list is tailored to marines, it gets smashed against everything else pretty much so stop whining he is allowed to be compedetive, its not that cheesy"

then my redshirt opponent said that my strategy and the way i construct lists was so superb he invited me to join this tournament somewhere in march, saying that my list is a great core for a 2000point tournament list and that i would be a great tournament player because i am so compedetive.

The funny thing? another gw staff member used the same army (it belonged to the store), but under spearhead attack and he got first turn...and he won.

The thing i was most amazed with was this store manager was THE worst sore loser for the start of that game than any opponent which i have ever versed. I have beaten players much more considerably, and they had a ball losing. I have a ball losing because it forces me to get better. In my opinion, there is no cheese, because no army is undefeatable. even if i had 3 hammerheads in 1000points, how would i do in objective matches :P obviously he knew what i had and he took THE worst army i could even think of.

Anyone got any questions comments? has anyone else noticed some similar characteristics with gw staff? anyone have anything to add to this thread?

P.S. i didnt know whether this was meant to go in "general 40k" or "battle reports" but because it was kindof more of a battle report i put it here.

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 10:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02
Default Re: Redshirt gracious in defeat from tau (not)

If he'd have built a semi-decent list then he would have stood a good chance. The only reason you go infantry heavy with Guard is to get huge numbers of heavy weapons. Had he played as he should have he would have lost lots of cannon fodder on turn one, whereas you would have lost both of your hammerheads. Such is the weight of fire an Imperial Guard infantry force can bring to bear on but two medium armoured skimmers.

I have, I'm sorry to say, encountered likewise behaviour on a number of occasions from GW 'redshirts'. They seem to develop the idea that, as GW staff, they know the game systems better than anyone else; a point myself, Wargamer and Mkoll frequently enjoy reeducating them upon
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh did i mention when i jumped my crisis suit over from one side of a ruin to the other, he declared i needed a dangerous terrain check, because jump infantry have to take one when they go through terrain. I said "they jump OVER terrain" and he said they jumped through and needed a check. I had to grab the open copy rulebook and show him that the jump infantry actually jump! shame i thought he of all people would know :-\

And he did take lots of special weapons, but they were all plasma guns. Every one of them. Not even plasma cannons, plasma guns. He said the list was suited to "planetstrike and cities of death" missions where they pop right up in the face of the opponent. so how was he going to take down my hammerheads before his sentinels outflanked (which happened on turn3, and they died before killing a single vehicle) in fact i didnt even lose a model, but i took a wound. Not from his troops tho, i failed a dangerous terrain check on a crisis suit :P

Quote:
Quote:
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

The guy's a fool. That's not too bad though, I've had staff claim that powerfists strike at initiative before now, lol! ;D
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh the time one said to me that "open copy books are not for just anyone to open up and have a read. They are for us staff to teach new players of warhammer the rules of different armies. If we want to look at an open copy codex, we should bring our own in, or buy it"

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15 Feb 2010, 13:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sore loser indeed. I expected better from Warhammer 40k players.

Nice one Zambia, so at what turn did he (died from massive deaths) yield? :P

Oh,congrats on joining the tourney, 2k points are messy as hell, I bet.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 17:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik_torgeddon
The guy's a fool. That's not too bad though, I've had staff claim that powerfists strike at initiative before now, lol! ;D
I've seen staff members knowing less rules than some of the padawans at out local.

And they spend half the night acting like, well, kids.

I know its unfair, but I tend to treat all GW staff with utter contempt. I've been burned too many times in the past to even consider them as knowing what they get paid for.

There's been exceptions, we've had a few good staff at the local many years ago, but these days, as mentioned they seem to have the opinion "I'm a redshirt, I'm always right and always win"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Quote:
When the stomper was released, one the the staff members claimed the weapon it has that fires lots of shots was slightly better at denying terminator armour.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 18:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Quote:
When the stomper was released, one the the staff members claimed the weapon it has that fires lots of shots was slightly better at denying terminator armour.
This makes perfect sense to me...

Iv never had a problem with GW Staff, although the previous manager at my local store once took 2 Basilisks from a table during a game and hid them because "the guy had been gone for too long".

The store had closed for lunch, and the opponant got back before him as he was held up outside in town, so the Manager just took the Bassies and hid them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 18:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Quote:
This makes perfect sense to me...

Iv never had a problem with GW Staff, although the previous manager at my local store once took 2 Basilisks from a table during a game and hid them because "the guy had been gone for too long".

The store had closed for lunch, and the opponant got back before him as he was held up outside in town, so the Manager just took the Bassies and hid them.
LOL ;D

Was ther then a game of hunt the bassie and pie plates randomly landing on peoples heads?

If not it was a missed opportunity >

W o K