Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tyranids vs Ultramarines 01.27.09 -- 1850 pts
Old 28 Jan 2010, 23:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Tyranids vs Ultramarines 01.27.09 -- 1850 pts

This was probably one of my favorite games of all time. It had everything a game would want:

1) Gentleman-style play

2) Jokes and imaginations of epic duels

3) Close match between two players trying to out-wit one another

4) Very close match with tactics to match

5) Laughs with exchange of learning rules for both sides

6) Close match (mention that before?)

7) Strokes of bad luck for the both of us

I met him on Vassal. Just as I was turning away, he mentioned that he had defeated the new Tyranids 4 games in a row. So I decided to put my Y'he Or'es Cadre aside and see about testing a few things in the new Tyranid Codex. Well, this game's end result was due to a clash of genius since luck, spam, and outright cheese wasn't working for either of us.

For those not familiar with the new rules, I have laid out some very brief, general rules for each unit so you can understand a little better what's going on.

TYRANIDS
HQ – Queen Tyrant
Wings, Hive Commander (+1 to Reserve rolls)
2 sets of Scything Talons (re-roll failed hits)

HQ – King Tyrant
Heavy Venom Cannon: Range: 36” S:9 AP:4 Assault1, Blast
-1 penalty to vehicle damage table
Stranglethorn Cannon: Range: 36” S:6 AP:5 Assault1, Large Blast, Pinning
Armored Shell: 2+ Armor Save

TROOPS – 9 Tyranid Warriors
[MOUNTED IN MYCETIC SPORE]
1 w/Venom Cannon
4 w/Rending Claws
Devourer: Range: 18” S:4 AP:- Assault3, -1 Ld

TROOPS – 20 Genestealers

ELITES – 3 Hive Guard
Lurk
Weapons require no LOS, has BS:4. Range: 24" Str:8, AP:4, Assault2

ELITES – 2 Hive Guard

ELITES – Doom of Malan’tai
[MOUNTED IN MYCETIC SPORE]
Can force any unit within range to take Ld test on 3D6. For every point failed, the unit loses that many wounds.
All wounds inflicted become new wounds for the creature (max 10). It's Strength is equal to its number of wounds.
Cataclysm: Range: 24” Str: Wounds AP:1 Assault1, Large Blast

ELITES - Lictor
Lurk
Pheromone Tail: Works kinda like Homing Beacon, but can't be used same turn it comes out
Also grants +1 to Reserves

NOTES:
(I accidentally took another Elite choice. But the Lictor was outright useless, so I don't think it mattered.)

When I realized how cheap the Doom of Malan'tai was, it was the first choice on my army list. I knew it wouldn't be that great against Space Marines, but I was hoping that if I could stick it in a good spot, that it would take out a horde of guys, soak up fire, and then spit it back out in the form of a terrifying blast.

The Tyranid Warriors were the second thing on my army list. I might have missed a spot that limited their numbers in a Mycetic Spore, but I figured if they each took up 2 spaces that they totaled 18, and the Spore can hold 20. If I missed something, please point it out.

The King and Queen Tyrant have been old friends of mine since 3rd Edition. But I was grossly disappointed. After I realized how easy it was to make a Hive Tyrant expensive, I became aware of how easy it would be to include other monstrosities. I mean, for a few dozen points more, I could've replaced either Tyrant with the Swarmlord.

But the King and Queen Tyrant (representing a King and Queen on a board of chess) have served me well before, so I decided to make them new Nid equivalents.

It was too late that I discovered the new Hive Tyrant has only a BS:3.

-----------
(I forgot to save his army list, but I'm sure this is the gist of the list.)

SPACE MARINES
HQ - Captain on Bike

TROOPS - 6 Bikes
Sergeant w/Power Fist
2 Bikes w/Meltaguns
Attack Bike w/Multi-melta

TROOPS - 10 Marines
[MOUNTED IN RHINO w/Extra Armor]
1 w/Plasma Gun
1 w/Lascannon

TROOPS - 10 Marines
1 w/Plasma Gun
1 w/Lascannon

TROOPS - 10 Marines
[MOUNTED IN LRC]
1 w/Plasma Gun
1 w/Lascannon

FAST ATTACK - Land Speeder
Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer

FAST ATTACK - Land Speeder
Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT - Land Raider Crusader
Extra Armor, Multi-melta

HEAVY SUPPORT - Thunderfire Cannon

-----------

TURN 1 - TYRANIDS

TURN 1 - MARINES

TURN 2 - TYRANIDS

TURN 2 - MARINES

TURN 3 - TYRANIDS

TURN 3 - MARINES

TURN 4 - TYRANIDS

TURN 4 - MARINES

TURN 5 - TYRANIDS

TURN 5 - MARINES

--------------

TIE!

POST GAME NOTES

Mycetic Spores
If you take Mycetic Spores and plan on doing a little damage, arm them. And not with the twin-linked Deathspitter. They can do some decent damage, but not with anything with shots. I have tested them with any other weapons, but here's what I'd suggest: Barbed Strangler. It's a large blast pinning weapon. It isn't very strong, but it's better than the Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack. Do this on the Spores that come with Gaunts or Genestealers so you can help them clear the way of anything that's going to be shooting at them.

Arrange them so they will get a cover save around whatever model you use for the Spores (I'm sure GW or Forge World is cooking up something nice). Those Spores won't make up for cost unless you're fighting a Horde army. But I will say that they are more useful than drop pods. Don't forget about them! Also, if you arrange your nids so that he can't get in combat with them without getting into base contact with the spore, do so. The Mycetic Spore comes with "Lash Whips", which reduces any model in base contact to Initiative 1. No, your opponent does not have to be attacking the Spore to get this.

Hive Tyrants
Shooty Hive Tyrants are no longer what they used to be. The number of shots with the smaller guns is significantly smaller, and you can't upgrade the BS. You're better off foot-slogging across the board and taking out targets with standard weapons.

Scything Talons have their uses, even though the Tyrant comes with a very high WS. Against vehicles; you re-roll all hits, not just those with WS. Also, if you find yourself giving a Hive Tyrant a lot of upgrades, re-examine the cost of the other HQ choices and especially the Swarmlord.

The Swarmlord is almost like Eldrad. If you equip the basic thing too much, you'll end up being equally or more expensive for less awesomeness.

The Doom of Malan'tai
This is only so cheap because it is subject to Instant Death. But if you can take out the anti-tanks in your opponents army, this thing can absorb a whole lot of kroot-shtlk. Not very good against heavily mechanized armies but hordes will definitely suffer a lot from this.

Personally, for the points, I think its worth the risk.

Zoanthropes
These guys were the only ones that made up for points. I played against them, played with them, and noticed them in the Codex and noted them in my Tau Tactica. They are the most dangerous beasts that Warhammer 40,000 has to offer. Ever. Ever. I say this simply because of their point cost. They will slaughter the numbers as much as they will tanks and heavy infantry.

They don't require to be up close and personal, they can take a fair amount of beatings, and will do a lot of hurt. I recommend at least 1 in every Tyranid army unless its specifically themed. Because, even if your opponent chooses to shoot or assault them, they're worth the points as damage soakers. The only time they will be weak is when your opponent takes a lot of anti-tank.

The other weakness is that they will take up a whole Elite slot where most of the goodies are.

Trygon
I think this guy would be good for the points. I should have removed the guns on the shooty Tyrant and taken out some of the Hive Guard to take a second. This would've been a whole lot more useful.

Hive Guard
Just as dangerous as I expected. Once the Spores start raining, these guys will find themselves largely ignored as the new threats are focused upon. If you have a Tyranid that counts as an IC, join them to these guys. They would work as great bodyguards because unlike the slightly less expensive Tyrant Guards, they can shoot.

Lictor
Worthless. Unless you're fighting Tau. If you want a Lictor, go with the Deathleaper.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 09:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tyranids vs Ultramarines 01.27.09 -- 1850 pts

Might want to change some of the stats you have there, against GW's policy.

Otherwise, a great report! Though, I wonder, what was the deployment and game objective?

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 12:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
The Doom of Malan'tai
This is only so cheap because it is subject to Instant Death. But if you can take out the anti-tanks in your opponents army, this thing can absorb a whole lot of kroot-shtlk. Not very good against heavily mechanized armies but hordes will definitely suffer a lot from this.

But remember, it can only do one thing at a time because it can only cast 1 power a turn. So you have to be careful about keeping it alive once it starts sucking up energy.

Personally, for the points, I think its worth the risk.
It doesn't have any psychic powers. Just special rules. You can absorb people with Spirit Leech, then shoot them with Cataclysm.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 12:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually, Cataclysm is described as a 'psychic shooting attack.' Spirit Leech, however, is a passive ability, not described as psychic, and not requiring a psychic test.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
Actually, Cataclysm is described as a 'psychic shooting attack.' Spirit Leech, however, is a passive ability, not described as psychic, and not required a psychic test.
WHAT? You mean I had a Strength 7, AP:1 Large blast I could've shot at against the Bikes? And make up for points right then and there?

Games in the Past Month:
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

yep. The Soul Leech is passive, it just happens at the beginning of EACH PLAYER'S shooting phase (so i'v heard, anyway).

Quick question: why did you only bring 2 Troops choices to a game? it wasn't Annihilation, and the only time I can see bringing only 2 choices is if you knew it was going to be that kind of game.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyBomb
yep. The Soul Leech is passive, it just happens at the beginning of EACH PLAYER'S shooting phase (so i'v heard, anyway).

Quick question: why did you only bring 2 Troops choices to a game? it wasn't Annihilation, and the only time I can see bringing only 2 choices is if you knew it was going to be that kind of game.

I almost always bring 2 Troop Choices. Exception is in themed lists. With my Tau, I don't have to worry about it because I just destroy the enemy army list and win because my opponent has nothing left.

But uh... its a little harder for me to do with other armies. I am thoroughly indoctrinated in Tau methods of war. Objectives are only important to me on Turn 5 if my opponent has any troops left. Until then, I'm trading Troop Choices for the ability to destroy my opponent's army list.

Sitting around on an Objective wasting away points is just not my method of winning. If my opponent does that, I'll place Objectives in the wide open space. Because if he wants to hold the Objective, he can do so in the open ground without cover. Just gives me an easier time destroying his army list.

So, players come by all the time, browse by my army list, opponents and TO members alike and say, "How can you win with just 2 Troop Choices in Objectives?" I respond, "By saving points on the Troop Choices for more destructive things."

"But you can't hold Objectives well."

"I don't care about holding Objectives. I care about wiping my opponent's army list out."

"If my opponent can hold Objectives, he's wasting that many points on not killing me while I'm killing him."

"If my opponent's list has all of his Troop Choices removed, and I have 2 measly little 2 Troop Choices that he's going to be ignoring, I can hold Objectives better than he can."

It's like trying to have a debate with a broken record player. So I post my many battle reports with my Tau that demonstrate on how I win, and win consistently.

I took 20 Genestealers because I knew they would look scary, and if they were ignored they'd be pretty worthwhile. I took 9 Warriors because I believed them to be a spine to Tyranid victories; cheap, multi-wound, many shot weapons, and many close combat attacks. According to this battle report, not as effective as I thought.

If I take any Troop Choices, maxed out at all, then I am utilizing those Troop Choices as a method of completely destroying my opponent's army list. If I take minimum Troop Choices, my opponents can shoot/assault them as an investment. It sounds completely reasonable. But nobody does it because I take so many other dangerous things that threaten the very survival of my opponent that he can't afford diverting attacks at the Troop Choices.

Most importantly, its not a theory on paper. It's a proven method of winning that I demonstrate almost every time I play.

Also, as far as Tyranids are concerned, I don't believe in the Gaunt species.

Games in the Past Month: