Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TOdex Version 3.0 Vs Imperial Guard. (2500 points)
Old 23 Jan 2010, 04:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default TOdex Version 3.0 Vs Imperial Guard. (2500 points)

Ok, so here is a Playtest of the TOdex against 5th Ed Imperial Guard.

My opponant was our very own Field Marshall R Ironballs, known for his somewhat Powergamey list, so I knew this would not be an easy fight.

This may take several posts so bear with me.

You can find the Field Marshalls list over in the IG Area.

He took an additional Basilisk, for a total of 3. A squad of 6 Ogryns, and 7 Stormtroopers, to bring his list up to 2500.

I Took the following:

HQ:

Shas'O 'Chip' Hazard:

Hazard Commander
Fusion Cascade
TL Heavy Flamers
Drone Controller
Sheild Drones x2
Ablative Armour
Shield Generator

Elites

Team Alpha.

XV8 Crisis Suit Shas'Vre
Multitracker
Shield Generator
TL Ion Rifles
Missile Pod
Drone Controller
Shield Drones x2

XV8 Crisis Suit
Multitracker
TL Ion Rifles
Missile Pod
Shield Generator

Team Hammer

XV9 Hazard Battlesuit x2
Fusion Cascade Blaster
TL Burst Cannons
Ablative Armour
Drone Controller
Shield Drone
Shield Generator

Team Spectre

XV25 x6
Canister Rifle x3
Burst Cannons
Drone Controller
Marker Drones x2

Troops

Firewarrior Team A
Shas'la x5
Shas'ui x1
BattleNet

Firewarrior Teams B & C
As above.

Fast Attack

TX-42 x2
Fusion Blasters
Targetting Array
Disruption Pods

Pathfinders x 8
Shas'ui
BattleNet.

Remora

Hammerhead Gunship

Railgun
Submunition
Weapon Drones
Markerlights
Disruption Pods
Multitracker
Target Lock
Seekers x2

Hammerhead
Fusion Cannons
Shield Drones
Disruption Pods
Multitracker
Target Lock
Commander Steel.

XV88 Broadside Shas'Vre
Railrifles
Shield Generator
Drone Controller
Shield Drones
Advanced Target Lock
BattleNet

XV88 Broadsides x2
Railrifles
Advanced Target Lock
Shield Generator

Total Points Cost

Battle Report to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 06:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: TOdex Version 3.0 Vs Imperial Guard. (2500 points)

The Mission is Anihillation, the set up is Pitched Battle.

Ok, I managed to get to set up first, and Ironballs failed to seize the Iniative.

Tau Turn 1

Crisis Team Alpha jump forward and open fire on the squad of Devildogs with their Missile Pods, and succeed in taking of one Melta Cannon turret.

The XV88 Team take aim at the Sqaudron of LRBTs and use their BattleNet uplink to Wreck one and destroy the Turret of the other. Their Railrifles try to damage the AutoBolter Chimera but fail to inflict damage.

Team Spectre bring their Canister Rifles to bear on the Leman Russ Demolisher and manage to cause a Shaken result with the EPM Grenades.

Commander Steel attempts to melt the nearby Devildog but fails to do any damage what so ever (Come on Steel, get your act together! You were expensive!)

Firewarrior Team B fire at the side of the Flamer Chimera, but it passes its cover save and escapes unscathed.

Firewarrior Team C attempt the same thing to no avail.

Imperial Guard Turn 1

The Devildogs move towards Steels Fusionhead and fire their Meltas at it, achieving nothing.

AutoFlame Chimera and Flame Chimera Move 12 inches and then pop smoke.

AutoBolter Chimera also moves 12 and smokes.

Demolisher Moves 11 and smokes.

The 3 Basilisks fire on the Fusionhead from behind their hill of Homepride Pasta Sauce Jars, scatter wildly and hit nothing but ground.

The Remaining LRBT fires its Lascannon and the Railhead missing by a country mile and vapourisng part of the landscape behind it.

The Ogryns, having disembarked their AutoFlame Chimera near the XV88s, open fire with their Ripper guns and manage to kill a whopping 1 SHIELD DRONE!!

Tau Turn 2

Reserves: Team Hammer IN
Remora IN

Hazards Land behind the AutoBolter Chimera and roll 2 6s for the Fusion Cascade. 6 shots slam into the back of the Chimeras vunerable armour, and do nothing!

Firewarrior Teams A, B and C, Team Spectre and Crisis Team Alpha all take aim at the 6 Ogryns milling around the Chimeras rear hatch. And Completly Obliterate all 6. (36 Heavy 2 Pulse Rifle shots, 6 Missilepod shots, 12 Ion Rifle shots, 9 Burstcannon shots, and 3 Area Saturation Grenades) 5 units to take out 1 unit of Ogryns, I hate those things!

The Railhead fires on the LRBT and misses in return.

The Remora, having landed behind the Flame Chimera and manage to Wreck it with a well placed volley of Heavy Burst Cannon Fire! Exellent.

'Chip' Open fire on the nearby Devildog Squadron with 3 shots from his Fusion Cascade Blaster and rips through its Promethium tanks causeing a huge explosion. The Fusionhead manages to Glace the other Devildog. Melting one of its Tracks to a heap of slag, Immobilising it.

IG Turn 2

Reserves

Vendetta IN
Stormtroopers IN

The Immobilised Devildog takes revenge on the Fusionhead and stuns it.

The Flamer Veterans, having disembarked from the Flame Chimera that was Wrecked last turn cover Firewarrior Team B in The Emperors Holiest Promethium and reduce every last one of them to a smouldering heap.

The AutoFlamer Chimera Spots the floating Remora and seeks revenge for its brothers destruction with its autocannon and flamer, The Autocannon shell being decieved by the Stealth Field at the last minute and the flamer barely singeing the paintwork.

The Stormtroopers deepstuck near the Railhead and discharge their Meltas into it. Causing both Immobilised and Stunned results.

The Demolisher targets the Squad of XV88s, firing everything it had into their midst. The Demolisher Cannon, Lascannon and 2 Plasma Cannons Explode FREEEM and Burn there way into the squad of tank hunters and spectacularly do nothing.

The AutoBolter Chimera follow up the Demolishers performance with 4 Melta Guns and a Plasma Pistol. A Single Drone bites the dust. (Melta Gun Replacement Batteries are on order.)

Now the big guns are bought to bear as the Vendettas get a bead on the miraculous Broadsides, 6 heavy bolter rounds and 6 lascannons slam into the Battlesuits and 2 of them are turned into bubbling heaps on the floor.

The AutoBolter Chimera attempts to finish off the last 88 with its Autocannon, but the shells bounce harmlessly from the 88s heavy armour.

The Basilisk battery target Crisis Team Alpha Scatter wildly and all 3 templates cause the squads drones to die.

The Stormtroopers advance on the Railhead and throw 7 Meltabombs onto its rear armour, and vaporise it, several times over.

Tau Turn 3

The Pathfinders disembark there Devilfish and stand ready.

Firewarrior Team A fire on the Flamer Vets and drop 3 of them, and the Remora backs them up and takes out 3 more.

The remaining XV88 turns its gun on the Vendettas then killed its teammates and Wrecks one with ease.

Team Hammer jump in behind the Demolisher and manage to Slice the turret clean off with their Fusion Cascades.

The Firewarrior Team C and Pathfinders combine their fire and manage to gun down 6 of the 7 Stormtroopers

Team Spectres EMP Canisters shake the Demolisher.

IG turn 3

Reserves
Sentinals IN

The Demolisher, robbed of its chance to fire this turn, turns on Team Hammer and Tank Shocks from almost point blank range, but the agile suits keep there wits and leap to safety.

The still living Vendetta, having deployed its Plasma Veterans (Team 1), turns its guns on 'Chip' and causes a single wound. Its former passengers follow suit and take out both drones and cause another wound on 'Chip' with 7 plasma shots and 10 las shots.

Crisis Team Alpha meet a hot and firey end when the Plasma Veterans from the downed Vendetta sneek up behind them (could we have a rule for a 'Spider Sense' please Ravager?). The Vets lose a man of their own as his trusty and reliable Plasma Rifle overloads.

The surviving Flame Veterans have moved towards the lone XV88 and fire there 2 Flamers and one Plasma Pistol, causing the XV88 to come apart at the nano-rivets.

The AutoBolter Chimera spots and Fires on Team Spectre and does nothing, so the Company Command Squad inside show the transports gunners how its done, 4 Meltaguns and 1 Plasma Pistol later, 4 XV25 are vapourised.

Tau Turn 4

Reserves.
TX-42s IN

'Chip' takes his revenge on the Plasma Vets that had damaged his Suit the previous round, his Heavy Flamer and Fusion Casacade Blaster Reduce the Vets to empty shells of armour.

The TX-42 float on from my table edge and Rip through the hull of the AutoBolter Chimera, the resultant explosion causing 2 wounds on the Company Commander.

Team Hammer finally hits a weak point in the Demolishers hull and 5 Fusion Cascade Bolts Wreck the War Machine.

The 2 remaining members of Team Spectre fire their EMP Canisters a the AutoFlamer Chimera, hitting the armour but being let down by dud Canisters and failing to do any damage.

The Remora swings about and its Burst Cannons rip the 3 remaining Flame Veterans to shreds.

Firewarrior Team C fires on the Company Command Squad, killing a single member.

The Pathfinders call in 2 seekers on the LRBT and manage to shake it.

IG Turn 4

The Vendetta brings it lascannons to bear on Team Hammer and mangle the 2 Drones.

The Company Command Squad fires its 3 Meltaguns and the commanders Plasma Pistol at the TX-42s and the plasma Wrecks one.

The AutoFlame Chimera spots and targets the Remora, scores a single penetrating hit and rips off the Burst Cannons.

The Squad of Plasma Vets from the downed Vendetta take aim at 'Chip' and strip him of another wound, leaving him with 1. The 3 Sentinals try to match this feat with there AutoCannons and a Multilaser but fail to do any damage.

The Basilisk Battery targets the Remora, but the additional scatter causes the barrage to land very close to the AutoFlame Chimera, badly singeing its paint, but doing no real damage.

The Company Command moves into CC and slaps some Melta Bombs onto the hull of the remaining TX-42. Turning it back into its componant part with minimal effort.

Tau Turn 5

The Remora uses it Markerlight to lightup the AutoFlamer Chimera, and Team Hammer jump it neatly behind it, Wrecking the flimsy transport.

'Chip' targets the Vendetta from below, Rolls a 1 for number of shots, and Whiffs majorly against the Vendetta. His Heavy Flamer having a similar effect.

Team Spectre target the LRBT and fail to hit, rolling snake eyes.
The Pathfinders Devilfish open up with its chin turret and kills a single member of the Company Command Squad.

Firewarrior Team C fire on the remnants of the Company Command Squad, and kill the Company Commander and a Melta officer. With just one surviving meber left, a kill point is unfortunalty not earned. (ruddy guard commanders not being independant...)

IG Turn 5.

The Plasma Vets see and fire upon the Remora and manage to kill it.

The Sentinals fire upon 'Chip' and fail to defeat his armour.

The LRBT fires on the Pathfinders with its bolter sponsons, and its lascannon, killing 3 Pathfinders.

The Vendetta turns on 'Chip' its 3 Lascannon blasting him into atoms.

Battle result.

Tau 6
I.G 9

Imperial Guard Win.

Opinions:

Hazard Suits: Well worth the points. Very good weapons and survivability.

Fusion Cascade: Fantastic, simply Brilliant. If it was S8, it would be broken beyond beleif, but S6 makes it perfectly balanced. It is far from a perfect Tank Hunter, but its potential rate of fire makes up for this. A unit of 3 hazards with 2 of these each, whilst expensive, would be able to take on any enemy you care to name. so possibly limit it to just 1 cascade per suit, and the other must be different. 18 S6 AP1 Melta shots that can move like that, and deep strike, would become a very dominant force on the table.

Ion Rifle: Didnt get much use out of these unfortunatly, but very good at what they do. Well worth the points. Would make the Perfect second weapon when paired with the Cascade on the Hazard suit.

Canister rifle: Excellent, well balanced and good value. a vital peice of kit.

New Stealth Field: Given how fast armys can move now, I really didnt notice much of a difference, and the field really didnt stop much of the fireing. but it is definatly a good upgrade.

Hammerhead Railgun: Ordnance is just what this weapon needed.

Vehicle Shield Drones: Very good, although the Feild Marshall suggests that they may be abit much on every vehicle, and that they could work as a custom upgrade on Commander Steels personal Hammerhead.

H2/A2: This is where I was expecting an argument, however Ironballs also feels that this is very balanced, the trade of of firepower for mobility.

XV88: He hated its Ro'cha, feeling that it was far too powerful. I countered that considering the cost of a Vendetta isnt more than 30 points above a kitted out XV88, and given what the vendetta can do in comparison the the 88s One Trick Pony, it wasnt that bad. He still disagrees though.

The BattleNet: We like this alot. Passing Ld to use it is very simple and you will get it most of the time. It diod see minimal use this game, but we can both see the value of it.

Apologies for the lack of detail in this BatRep, esspecially in regards to movement of units. I will try to do better in future.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Quote:
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 11:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

That was one of the poorest employment of Tau forces I had ever laid eyes upon. Not the worst though, I'll give you that.

The worst was this. I don't know who was playing that Tau force, but if I ever met him, I would take the 40k Rulebook and bash him so many times he died from his brains being spilled all over the floor. I've seen players lose battles better than he won.

Anyway, first thing I'll say... a 2500 point match? That makes an incredibly crowded battlefield and completely overrides the norm. You could've reduced over half your upgrade options on taking so much firepower. Why nibble down on heavy upgrades when you could've swarmed and swamped him with so many things that he couldn't possibly do enough to take anything out.

And why the hell didn't you do anything about those Basilisks? It's like you purposefully left them alone on purpose so you can see the game balanced out. You also pulled a lot of mindless stunts that isolated your forces and backed you up into corners.

What you did was present a unit on unit scenario. You don't need a bat rep to do that. Just grab a few models and produce what-if scenarios.

Though I'm happier with the cascade weapon now. Str:8, AP:1, small blast, twin-linked? That was just too much. Str:6 is much more believable.

Still, you didn't use any of the basic units of the Codex that can shove some god-cheese up that IG @$$ with relative ease.

If you had taken nothing but FWs, two units of XV9s, loads of screening, infiltrating Kroot, strip the Hammerhead of all of its upgrades, give Steel the basics of what he needs to be cheapest, and give him the Manta Drop. And a unit of Pathfinders without a Devilfish.

That 5-shot, Rending Ion Cannon hitting on 2+ with re-roll hits on a 6 with Tank Hunters would've devastated those Basilisks; I'd be surprised if you didn't destroy or heavily damage all 3 of them. Your markerlights with all of those Fire Warriors would've just swept aside anything else with overexposure to pulse and would've taken out those Chimeras in a hurry.

Your choice and employment of units was also very poor. Give me the Codex and I'll wipe Ironballs from the table while dominating every single turn in a 2k match three times in a row with each of the different missions.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 11:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, First off, lose the attitude, i don't need it nor is it welcome here. you want to make constructive critisim feel free, you wana sit there and Bash everything i did then GTFO.

Now. as for why I didnt do anything about the basiliks, i couldnt, due to an annoying quirk, they were fully hidded behind a mountain range out of los, and the only way around there was blocked by the LRBT I wrecked in turn one.

As for the units i took. i took units that i had models for, with the exeception of the Hazards, and units that i felt would make for a fun game, that i would enjoy, which to me is more important than winning. Im not apowergamer, i prefer a fluffy list, so who the hell are you to tell me that I played wrong?

Both myself and the Field Marshall had legal lists, i had an opponant who knows his own army inside and out, and has built a very powerful list, and most importantly, is not me.

I didnt do this so that i could say "Aha, the TOdex is massivly powerful and should be re-written to suit my ideals of a Tau Army." I did this for the fun of the game. this list suits my play style, i was happy with it, and it tried out some of the weapon systems that havnt been properly playtested before.

I had a great 4 hours playing this game, against a very good friend who also enjoyed it very much. that is what i was about, and i happened to be able to provide a service, poorly written as it may be, to Ravager and the other writers of the TOdex to help them improve there work.

Now if you want to play Ironballs, im sure he would love to oblige, and Im sure you can powergame him to hell, and im sure he can do the same to you. but what will you learn? nothing more than you know how to read a codex. Congratulations.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 11:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne

-snip-

Opinions:

Hazard Suits: Well worth the points. Very good weapons and survivability.

Fusion Cascade: Fantastic, simply Brilliant. If it was S8, it would be broken beyond beleif, but S6 makes it perfectly balanced. It is far from a perfect Tank Hunter, but its potential rate of fire makes up for this. A unit of 3 hazards with 2 of these each, whilst expensive, would be able to take on any enemy you care to name. so possibly limit it to just 1 cascade per suit, and the other must be different. 18 S6 AP1 Melta shots that can move like that, and deep strike, would become a very dominant force on the table.

Ion Rifle: Didnt get much use out of these unfortunatly, but very good at what they do. Well worth the points. Would make the Perfect second weapon when paired with the Cascade on the Hazard suit.

Canister rifle: Excellent, well balanced and good value. a vital peice of kit.

New Stealth Field: Given how fast armys can move now, I really didnt notice much of a difference, and the field really didnt stop much of the fireing. but it is definatly a good upgrade.

Hammerhead Railgun: Ordnance is just what this weapon needed.

Vehicle Shield Drones: Very good, although the Feild Marshall suggests that they may be abit much on every vehicle, and that they could work as a custom upgrade on Commander Steels personal Hammerhead.

H2/A2: This is where I was expecting an argument, however Ironballs also feels that this is very balanced, the trade of of firepower for mobility.

XV88: He hated its Ro'cha, feeling that it was far too powerful. I countered that considering the cost of a Vendetta isnt more than 30 points above a kitted out XV88, and given what the vendetta can do in comparison the the 88s One Trick Pony, it wasnt that bad. He still disagrees though.

The BattleNet: We like this alot. Passing Ld to use it is very simple and you will get it most of the time. It diod see minimal use this game, but we can both see the value of it.

Apologies for the lack of detail in this BatRep, esspecially in regards to movement of units. I will try to do better in future.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Now this, this is valuable playtesting. Taking an all comers list (well, mostly) against another all comers list. In addition, it was played against a competent opponent by a competent player. This means here we get get to test averages (and, err, 'fun&#39 rather than powergaming extremes (which help reduce brokenness). Here is where we can learn balance, as it allows us to see which units are good, too good, and not good enough, rather than "OMGWTFBBQ tis unitz too powerful, nerf nao plz".

It's also good to see the unit breakdowns, and note that they were mostly being used against what they are intended to be used against. (Marksman, this is why it's a unit vs. unit, to help see if said units are fit for purpose).

And finally, big props to you, Jayne, for using the TODex and helping immensely with playtesting, and to Ironballs, for being such a good sport about it.

EDIT: The point about taking twin fusion cascades on a full Hazard unit is interesting, but we also have to remember that if you're doing that, they are bloody expensive, weighing in at a whopping 315 points before adding shields or ablative armour. When something costs that much, it kinda deserves to represent that level of meanness. Also note that said unit can die very easily in CC to power weapons, or be wiped out by a well placed demolisher round.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 14:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The point about the Cost of the unit is true enough, although i didnt realise it came to that much. In that case, anybody who absolutly wants to kill everything should take one. I could see these being used as Teq hunters.

A point that was raised, the Advanced Target Lock. i can fire each individual weapon at a different target. Does this mean that the Fusion Cascade can destroy a Chimera, then the TL Burst/Heavy Flamer/Ion Rifle, can fire at the Squad that are forced to disembark?

Would definatly like to see the TL Ion Rifle as a weapon for the Hazard, it Counterpoints the Fusion Cascade perfectly.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 15:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

I might be missing something, but a Remora? I don't believe those are in the TODex. Was that just the IA3 version?

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 15:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

It was. I have two of them. It was a last minute change from 2000 to 2500, so i added the TX42s, Pathies and the Remora.

I personally think remoras are fantastic units, a squadron of two can really harrass people. I was a bit dissapointed that they wern't added to the TOdex to be honest.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 23 Jan 2010, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Ok, First off, lose the attitude, i don't need it nor is it welcome here. you want to make constructive critisim feel free, you wana sit there and Bash everything i did then GTFO.
Then you can do the exact same to my battle reports.

Quote:
As for the units i took. i took units that i had models for, with the exeception of the Hazards, and units that i felt would make for a fun game, that i would enjoy, which to me is more important than winning. Im not apowergamer, i prefer a fluffy list, so who the hell are you to tell me that I played wrong?
The very purpose of play-testing is to find the strongest, hardest cheese about a unit/Codex. Playing for fun with it is a complete waste of time. Once you iron out the flaws, then you go back start being friendly with it.

Its easy to make an overpowered Codex and then lose with it if your goal is fun. This test is more null and dull than mine. Why? Because part of making something for fun includes making it completely fun and balanced.

Tools and power gamers can't win all the time because the game has a balancing force in it. I enjoy playing power gamers; beating them is fun. Power gaming isn't the source of winning. And as far as I'm concerned, Ironballs got pretty lucky in some aspects.

You still didn't address my point that it looked like you were just tossing out units here and there and picking random targets just to see how it would go. No wonder you lost; your opponent may be competent, but your style is not.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2010, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to PsyBomb Send a message via Yahoo to PsyBomb

Much as I hate to agree, Marksman has a point here once you look past the attitude. While your test did prove that the concepts are fun, the balance half is about pushing it to the further side of things. You did manage a large number of individual matchups that will be useful for later theory, though.

is there any way you can put up a mapped version? Or, failing that, a pic of what the starting map was like? Things like that will help us see what can happen against what.

Snow Forces of T'olku Sept: 3/4/2
... I like to think I'm learning, though
PsyBomb is offline   Reply With Quote