Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orks Waaagh! at Local Tournament - Jan. 16, 2010
Old 17 Jan 2010, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Orks Waaagh! at Local Tournament - Jan. 16, 2010

The local shop holds a tournament every 3rd Saturday of the month so I went down for my 2nd ever tournament game. My first time I played in it, well it was a learning experience. The whole battle points system, massacres, major victories, etc., was new to me and I spent 2/3 the time trying to puzzle it all out while playing. I know it's not complicated but when you find out last minute you can make the tournament and spend 30 minutes getting a list ready, army in the transport and head out the door then show up and find out it's not a simple win or lose situation, well it was a bit overwhelming. I did however manage to win best sportsmanship that first tournament and got a $40 gift certificate to the store, so can't complain.

Anyway, this time I prepared ahead of time and knew how it all worked so it was a matter of focusing only on the game, not a scoring system that was new to me. Here's the list I brought.

HQ
* Big Mek w/KFF, choppa, 'eavy armor = 90

Elites
* Kommandos x 10 w/rokkits x 2
- Nob w/big choppa, 'eavy armor, bosspole
= 145

* Nobz x 7 (Big Mek here)
- Nob w/slugga, choppa, bosspole, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Nob w/slugga, choppa, Waaagh! banner, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Nob w/slugga, choppa, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Nob w/big choppa, slugga, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Nob w/big choppa, slugga, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Nob w/PK, slugga, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Painboy w/'urty syringe, 'eavy armor, cybork
- Battlewagon w/ram, big shoota, boarding plank, armor plates
= 410

Troops
* Slugga Boyz x 12 w/big shoota x 1
- Nob w/PK, bosspole, 'eavy armor
- Trukk w/big shoota, ram, boarding plank
= 167

* Slugga Boyz x 12 w/big shoota x 1
- Nob w/big choppa, bosspole, 'eavy armor
- Trukk w/big shoota, ram
= 142

* 'ard Boyz x 12 w/slugga & choppa, big shoota x 1
- Nob w/PK, 'eavy armor, bosspole
- Trukk w/big shoota, ram, boarding plank
= 210

* Shoota Boyz x 20 w/rokkits x 2
- Nob w/shoota, bosspole, 'eavy armor
- Trukk w/big shoota, ram
= 160

* Grots x 11
- Slaver w/grabba stikk
= 43

Fast Attack
* Deffkoptas x 3 w/TL-rokkits x 3, buzzsaw x 1 = 160

Heavy Support
* Kannons x 3 w/ammo runts x 2, extra krew x 2
- Slaver
= 82

*Killa Kans x 3 w/grotzookas x 2, rokkit x 1 = 140

List Total: 1,749

I'm only going to summarize my games. After having played three games at two hours a piece all day yesterday, my head can't recall all the fine details.

Game #1

This was against a Space Wolf player. His list, from memory:

* Logan Grimnar (I get that right?)
* Dreadnought w/twin-linked heavy flamer & heavy flamer (Drop Pod)
* 5 Termies w/cyclone missile launcher
* 10'ish Wolf Guard who Logan joined. Various loadouts but mostly power weapons and a few power fists (Drop Pod)
* 6'ish Long Fangs w/missile launchers x 5
* 10 Grey Hunters w/meltaguns x 2 (Rhino)
* 10 Grey Hunters w/metaguns x 2 (Rhino)
* 10 Grey Hunters w/metaguns x 2 (Drop Pod)

Our game was to control the central objective and hold as many table quarters as we could. I had basically piled my fast stuff near the center and he had Long Fangs and Termies watching the center with Rhinos in easy range of it too. I advanced all vehicles to the center at full speed. He podded his Dread and Wolf Guard first turn. The Dread landed near my Kannons in my quarter and Wolf Guard to the center on the objective.

That first turn pretty well set up the rest of the game. From there out I knew my quarter was lost to the Dread. I'd rather feed my Kannons to the Dread and let him waste time there then turn around with a few Trukks and smash it with power klaws. All my transports kept moving centrally and big fights ensued there. Wolves are nasty in assault, even when being assaulted (damn you counter-charge!), but I was managing the upper hand in the center early on. His late game pod arrival of 10 more Grey Hunters titled it in his favor a bit but hope wasn't lost yet.

His Wolf Guard rolled through my 20 Shoota Boyz after those Boyz unloaded lots of dakka at them and cost them a handful of losses. The Wolf Guard were down to 3 total with Logan and I had my BW parked near the center with a lone surviving Nob from some Trukk Boyz in it. My only other scoring unit left were 'ard Boyz who were currently fleeing, though able to regroup. Logan and friends charged my BW, wrecked it, and later on assaulted my Big Mek and lone Nob to remove them. That took out my scoring unit in the center and my 'ard Boyz were never able to regroup. They would have next turn but the game ended.

He managed a massacre win on me by holding the center and two quarters. If you looked at the table you wouldn't have thought it a massacre, him only having Logan w/two Wolfguard, 2 Grey Hunters in a Rhino, 5 Long Fangs and a Dreadnought left where I still had pretty much 3 full units left, but eh, that's how it goes.

Game #2
Another Space Wolf player but very different. His list was roughly:

* Wolf Lord w/wolves x2 (whatever they are)
* 10'ish Wolves (the actual wolves)
* 10 Blood Claws
* 10 Wolf Guard in a Land Raider (various loadouts)
* 8'ish Long Fangs w/heavy bolters x 2, plasma cannons x 1, lascannons x 2
* 4 Wolf Guard w/jump packs, frost blades and storm shields (expensive little unit)
* 8'ish Termies w/assault cannons x 2

The objective here was we each had two objectives in our deployment zone and one in the center. We had to hold as many objectives as we could and wrack up kill points. He got first turn and basically moved forward to the center. Having second turn I had put all my fast stuff left and Kannons to my right. His left flank was weak and I wanted to hammer into it and roll him up, so I moved as such. By turn #2 the assaults were on, him assaulting my Kommandos near the center, who were bait and a distraction. My transports unloaded Nobz and Boyz and I beat down the Wolf Lord, killed some Termies who fled and killed some doggies who ran. I pretty much cleared out his left flank as I hoped so I got back into my rides.

His Land Raider was moving for the center so I had one Trukk go intercept it. I used my boarding plank and my Nob with a PK managed to immobilize it. He did later wreck my Trukk forcing my Boyz out but I squeezed him between those Boyz and my Nobz mob. Space Wolves are tough but not that tough and they fell, leaving me the center.

We ran out of time but I held 2 objectives to his 0. He had more kill points then I did, not by much though, so I took a major victory.

Game #3
This was against Chaos using a Thousand Sons list. List was something like:

* Araman (something like that)
* Sorcerer
* 3 Oblits
* 3 Oblits
* 10 Thousand Sons w/Aspiring Sorcerer guy (Rhino)

This mission was 2 objectives centrally in 2 of the quarters. We both had to deploy in the quarters without the objectives. This type of mission I love, spread out objectives where I can use my speed to quickly secure and I can afford to split my army in half to do it because of the size.

As you may have guessed this game just didn't go well for him. Long story short his Oblits failed horribly to remove my vehicles. I speed them out of sight of the Oblits by turn #2. He had sent 2 Rhinos with Thousand Sons, Araman and his Sorcerer to one objective and the last Rhino to the other. He just didn't have the man power or speed for this mission. Thousand Sons are cool but they are better off facing MEQs than Orks. I was able to just smash apart his army and in the end he was left with 3 Oblits. I held both objectives and amazingly only lost one unit the entire game, my Kommandos who did their job of being bait again. So, I took a massacre win here.

Conclusion
My first game did me in for battle points, scoring me a big 0. My second game wasn't bad and my third game I scored everything possible but it wasn't going to be enough. The Space Wolf player I faced in my first game went 3-0 and won the tournament. He had faced me and then 2 Eldar players. Another Ork player won best general. I did win best sportsmanship and got another $40 gift certificate.

I had a great time and got to play two guys I haven't had the chance to play yet. It was definitely more fun too going into it knowing how things worked too.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 03:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Orks Waaagh! at Local Tournament - Jan. 16, 2010

So, what are you going to get with the gift certificate? I've noticed lots of Space Wolf players in the tournaments in my area too, and two out of three are controlled by very good generals. I always thought the best thing about tournaments was fighting against different armies too. It can get boring always playing against your buddie's army over and over.

Question on the list though; that 20 strong shoota mob doesn't actually have a trukk does it, since that would be illegal?

Good job overall, and I hope you are the Ork winner next time.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 12:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Still debating the gift certificate. I was going to get a Loota/Burna box since next month is for 2,000 and that would beef up my Lootas enough to be fieldable at that level but I found enough bits to make the additional Lootas I needed. I may pick up a Trukk but not entirely sure on that since Trukks are easy enough to scratchbuild. Hmm...maybe some Bikers. I have 6 of them right now and found 6 to be too small to field in games this large. Oh the choices...

The one SW player who won the tourney was good. He's one of those guys who notoriously rolls 6's. The other wasn't the best but it was a fun list to face. Overall we had a good variation of armies having two of us Orks, two Space Wolves, two Eldar players, one Nid player (old codex though), one Ultramarine, one Deathwing army, and the Thousand Sons player. I got to play two players I haven't faced yet so that was nice too.

No Trukk for the Shoota Boyz. They were one of my last minute swap ins on the list and I'm really glad I did it. I needed more bodies and another scoring unit once I removed my Warboss from my first list. I figured with all the stuff speeding at someone that the Shoota Boyz would be ignored, which they were, and allowed me to just pump out lots of dakka.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 14:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Thor!
First off, great Rep and a solid looking list.
Glad you had much more fun this time out.
A bit surprised that there's relatively little PK in your list.
It isn't surprising that there's so many Wolves out there, as even blokes like me want to bumble about with them
Oh, and yes, that first list was pretty nasty. Not too surprising it won.
Glad to see the Orks still doing well (did you realize that we're almost getting <gasp> dated?), and looking forward to your next rep!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Funny how having a clue how a tournament works effects the fun you have

I've always advocated that Ork players look beyond the PK as being a required piece of wargear and maybe this will help further that. I only had 3 PKs in this entire list and I can't say I once found myself wishing I had more either. Take my Nobz mob, charging I throw down 27 attacks at WS5 and at I4, so swinging with MEQs and usually hitting on 3's. I'm then wounding on 3's and 2's, thats' a lot of saves to be making. My single PK in that unit then does cleanup. I would throw another PK into this unit if I had one modeled but alas I don't. Denying armor saves and wounding on 2's is nice but so having some stuff that actually has a decent initiative, at least on the charge.

Getting dated...our codex? It is a bit but it's still a competitive codex. I've played the puppies quite a bit lately, waiting to play the new Nids, and it was playing the puppies that made me revise my list. I enjoy going up against the newer stuff and seeing what I need to do in order to compete with it.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thor:
Nod, I truly understand the power of the Choppa, as it's always amazed me as to how well a decent Nobz Mob can do. It's wonderfully killy and always, always impresses me with Big Choppas. I was running with only one PK for a very long time in the Mob and it didn't really bother me. I only switched as I didn't like that Beakies kept fleeing from me all the all time.

Let me know how you do with the Nids. I'm eager to await the NOMNOMNOM as well.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 18:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good report, Thor! Glad to see you getting into the local tourney scene.

First Game:

Seemed like he had a tight list there. Good job in fighting him to a standstill. No shame in losing to the overall winner.

Second Game:

Wow, what a weird army. Flying wolfguard with stormshield and frostblades? It just seems wrong. I love seeing the boarding plank in action, and I love to see landraiders dying, so this battle was a good one!

Third Game:

Did he have the flamer power on his sorcerers, or did he have the anti-tank rokkit-style one? The flamer might actually make 1k sons viable against orks... Other than that, good job on the beatdown. It's tempting to become complacent in games where you think you have a good matchup. Looks like you never let up. Well done.

How did your koptaz do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Glad to see the Orks still doing well (did you realize that we're almost getting <gasp> dated?), and looking forward to your next rep!
The funny thing is that I have a generally harder time against some of the older codecies than the new ones. Black Templars and Chaos, for example, regularly give me problems, while Chaos Daemons and Space Marines are easier for me to overcome (except for a few players who are very good with these armies). As long as we have ork players in the top ten at 'ard boyz (as I believe we did last year) we will be a good codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Funny how having a clue how a tournament works effects the fun you have
Yes. Playing a tournament without knowing the parameters is like playing a mission without knowing hte rules! Madness!

Quote:
I've always advocated that Ork players look beyond the PK as being a required piece of wargear and maybe this will help further that. I only had 3 PKs in this entire list and I can't say I once found myself wishing I had more either. Take my Nobz mob, charging I throw down 27 attacks at WS5 and at I4, so swinging with MEQs and usually hitting on 3's. I'm then wounding on 3's and 2's, thats' a lot of saves to be making. My single PK in that unit then does cleanup. I would throw another PK into this unit if I had one modeled but alas I don't. Denying armor saves and wounding on 2's is nice but so having some stuff that actually has a decent initiative, at least on the charge.
Well said! My nob squad is a shining example of this. However, I must say that you have brass balls to go without PKs in two regular boy squads. Maybe running trukks makes it different though.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2010, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm in love with boarding planks now. I saw them in one of your reports, tried them out and have had amazing luck with them.

The Thousand Sons player I know had it on one of his Sorcerer guys as he hit me with it once but he was in a bad position and I only lost a few to it. The other ones were in the Rhinos and I was able to knock the Rhinos out, force him to get out and then get in my charge so I can't say what the other ones had. I did feel bad in this game though since the guy is a friend I met at the shop but it was a tournament and I wanted all the points I could get. He'd have been upset if I let up on him.

The Koptas did about what I expect out of them, show up, bust something up and then die. I had them originally at 5 strong but the problem was, though more likely to bust armor in shooting, it died just as much as the smaller unit of them did. Going smaller let me put the buzzsaw in there, couldn't afford it with 5 Koptas in the list, so I get less shots but have more reliable vehicle assaulting. Again, when someone wants those Koptas dead then whether I have 1 or 5 of them they end up dying anyway. This way I'm not pissing away 225pts for a unit that destroys one Rhino then dies.

I only had one Trukk squad without a PK, that Nob had a big choppa. You must be looking at my Shootas who were on foot, they didn't have a PK either. I would have put in on the Shoota mob but I don't have a PK version of that Nob and wanted to play it WYSIWYG. I do like the big choppa though in smaller squads like Trukk Boyz. Mostly because when they start taking any losses it hurts and if I'm down to say 7 Trukk Boyz and I need to charge into something I at least know my Nob will get in his attacks before he dies and that may make all the difference, those I4 attacks you throw down.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 14:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fantastic job! I was wondering how you like the mass trukk list? I'm also building a 4 trukk slugga boy list and have been worried on how well it will perform. Can you give me any insight?
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 14:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The basic principle is to keep your Trukks together to help screen one another and also having a Big Mek with a kustom force field around and giving the Trukks the 4+ obscured cover save. The other reason you want your Trukks running in groups is that you're using smaller units of Boyz and you'll want to charge at least two units of Trukk Boyz at any given target to ensure you overwhelm your opponent. Sending one unit of Trukk Boyz at something usually ends badly for them since even a few losses can mean losing combat and being swept. So run your vehicles together for safety and once you're about on your target you can branch them off a bit and slam into enemy lines.