Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I get featured?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jan 2010, 09:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default How do I get featured?

Seriously I never been featured, what are the requirements I feel i deserve to have been featured by now at least once.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 09:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How do I get featured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Seriously I never been featured, what are the requirements I feel i deserve to have been featured by now at least once.
If by featured do you mean have an article put on the main website?

In that case you post up something helpful, entertaining, useful, interesting etc of good quality, a Librarian come's along, see's the article, reads it, likes it, deems it worthy and adds it to the main site.
I'm not sure how many Librarian's read through the Battle Reports regularly though, I know I only visit sparingly.

But if you write a piece that you feel deserves to go up on the website you can always just send a PM to any of the librarians and ask them to check it out, you can find a list of the librarians in the "Staff" section.

As a side note, by going off your above post it may be your grammar or something similar, although it's still understandable and easy to interpret if you read the sentence as it's written it makes little to no sense, you could always improve your efforts there.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejivar Konj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
If by featured do you mean have an article put on the main website?

In that case you post up something helpful, entertaining, useful, interesting etc of good quality, a Librarian come's along, see's the article, reads it, likes it, deems it worthy and adds it to the main site.
I'm not sure how many Librarian's read through the Battle Reports regularly though, I know I only visit sparingly.

But if you write a piece that you feel deserves to go up on the website you can always just send a PM to any of the librarians and ask them to check it out, you can find a list of the librarians in the "Staff" section.

As a side note, by going off your above post it may be your grammar or something similar, although it's still understandable and easy to interpret if you read the sentence as it's written it makes little to no sense, you could always improve your efforts there.
I think he means a featured battle report like they have a battle report they recommend you read. it would require good pictures a well detailed and entertaining narrative with an explanation of tactics as you go. And to make it entertaining to read.
[hr]

If it is getting it on the website don't ask us. We put what we deem good enough on to the website and it isn't always easy. Having the author of the topic ask us is a surefire way to decrease your chances.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

I dare say my battle reports fit the requirements yet no features mmm perhaps not enough people reading them?

=strokes non-existant beard= Puzzling indeed...
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

For a while we were slacking on featuring reports, I think about the time you were putting them out regularly. Before that when we were doing it more often, Boneguard and myself, would often discuss and evaluate 2-3 reports on average to figure which one would be featured. You may have been nominated back then and we may have decided on another report for various reasons. Of course I can't recall all our discussions back then so can't say for sure.

As to your question, Unholy Harbinger pretty well nailed it. It should be in a nice readable format, easy to follow. Pictures are not required but they do help. Entertainment value does help for sure. That doesn't mean you need paragraphs of humorous fluff, just something that's catches attention. That could be your writing style, pictures themselves, some fluff, any number of things. Really there's no hard and fast rule on what gets a report featured, it varies report to report.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I see i see.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I too would quite like my recent battle report on the website, but if that's not possible, no problem.

scar.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 10:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

I looked at some of your bat reps and have a few observations.

Your reports are good at showing us the nitty-gritty details of a fight with the pics. We can easily see what's going on.

However, I suggest doing some of the following:

1) Show your opponent's army. Try getting a list from them or make out a rough idea of what they had in their force. At the very least, you can take a picture of their force and your force, pointing out what is what. Otherwise, its hard to tell exactly what's going on especially with a bunch of primed, unpainted, and some painted models running around the board.

2) Pick your colors carefully. It hurts our eyes to try and read white text over white sheets of paper on the board. Likewise, using purple on a dark blue background is equally bad. You need to find colors that contrast with what you have, like white on black or dark blue on orange. Also, try clearing the board of debris, dice, and papers to not obstruct our view so you don't get a calico mix of colors, which makes putting down words very difficult and reading them moreso.

3) Explain to us everything that's going on. One of the biggest advantages of having a camera is showing us what's going on in a clear picture. But people who can describe their battles can achieve the full-effect of a battle report. You take a lot of pictures, but you don't really organize them or detail them. Instead of focusing on tiny little aspects, try to take full pictures of a turn sequence, like your movement, shooting, and assaulting; the same with your opponents. Take photos of interesting battle scenes.

The main idea of a battle report is to show us how you played a game and the events that occurred within it. Vassal provides a clear-cut birds-eye-view with big spaces that allow easy commentary. But a picture of a real board with varying colors hurts the eyes.

This is why players who use blocks and basic Paint-style symbols can make great battle reports without taking pictures of the board. It's easy to follow and see all that is going on.

Your descriptions are also incredibly vague; its hard to tell what exactly it is you're doing, your opponent is doing, or what. It's important to note what every unit is doing. Even if it completely whiffs or fails to do anything productive, it is important to note it to the readers. This tells them that you were paying attention and made a tactical analysis of each and every element of the board, not just those of utmost importance.

4) Make the Bat Rep personal. Telling us what you were thinking and how some of the rolling went will also give flavor to the report. What you're showing us looks more like a news reporter's display of a battle rather than a show of your military genius and employment of your units in a classroom/briefing room setting.

For your particular style, try mapping out a key. Like blue line means friendly troop advance, red line means ranged shooting attack, or whatever your fancy. This will allow us to clearly see what's going on. If it becomes too complex and jumbled, then you need to either take a higher, better shot of the board (not so close) or find a more simple method of markings.

People have their likes and dislikes, you can't please them all. But by giving your battle reports a certain flavor, you'll start a group of fans who will follow your series more often and allows others to look in and easily see what's going on.

5) Think about the pics and notes you're taking. Because its a picture and not a movie, we can't tell what's going on. We can only see models in a chaotic positions with no direction. You can know what's going on very easily. You were not only there, you played it! But you have to document it as if the rest of us don't. You want to make sure that nothing is missed. If you want to take close-ups, that's fine, just be sure to link the pictures together.

You will mention a unit in one location that seemed really important, and then we don't hear from them again. Also, you state that something has taken damage. When you have a squad of multiple-wound monstrous creatures, that could mean 2 measly little luck-fails, or serious, almost-died casualties. We don't know, your models don't bleed and we can't read the dice marking the wounds.

Whatever you do, try not to crowd your picture. If you can get away with it in a sequence in small pockets of explanation without ruining the picture, then do so, but make sure its easy from point-to-point, e.g. left to right or clockwise.

6) Remember we aren't there. You have to assume that your readers are stupid. And we are because we aren't there. That means, you can't leave room for thinking, "Oh, its obvious that this unit over here they can't see is doing this and this. So I won't take a picture or note them down." -- not a good way of doing it.

Imagine that you are an invisible ghost and you are trying to collect battlefield data to be analyzed. You want to report to your authorities about both sides, how they seemed to work, and what happened where. When you think of yourself as a collection of drones or servo-skulls gathering battlefield information, you will want to make your reports the best in detail and explanation.

To me, it looks like you're just tossing out units on the board and seeing how they do against someone else who randomly puts units on the board and see how they fair. It seems like its just a collection of random occurrences with no sense of direction. That might be true, but if you win consistently, then my experience dictates through logic that it is not.

---------------

I would really enjoy watching you play and observe the new Tyranids in action before I dedicate my Tau to them and crush them utterly without mercy as I have done against the Orks when they got their new Codex, the Imperial Guard when they came out with theirs, the new Space Marines (nothing new), and my proudest achievements against the Space Wolves.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Old 23 Jan 2010, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I heard some one say something about Battle Reports. How do I post them?

If that doesn't scare you out of your frilly pink leotards, guess what: You are an idiot and you hate America.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 13:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well you play a match, and take notes about how it goes, then you follow those guidelines.

And voilà!

Edit:
Marksman does bring in a few good point. It's always enjoyable to read a well done batRep like yours, but that little extra touch that you put in can make the difference.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Closed Thread