Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I get featured?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2010, 14:50   #21 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How do I get featured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindgobble Witherfume
You can also use BBC codes to resize images. I find that height 450 and width 600 is good for landscape photos. You can then link to the fullsize image in what ever place you store them online. The code would go into the [IMG] bracket like
Code:
[img width=600 height=450]www.Sexypicture.com[/url]
Like that. Would make the image that many pixels wide and high. Then you can still have the bigger pics if people want to look at them. I've used this method for a while and it's very easy to do, and quick. If you quote any of my posts with pictures (diplomacy, bat-reps) I do this with almost all of them.
I often do this too, though it doesn't save that much time compared to taking the pictures at the right size to begin with. It's a good fall-back option though, especially if you want to keep your pictures high-res but display them smaller on the boards. It can make pages a while to load if the image sizes are too large though (even if you make them smaller using code).
Old 25 Jan 2010, 22:24   #22 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

While the BBC code works for resizing, you can also resize them using PicOodle, which has an option to upload the pictures in pre-determined sizes.

Anyway, a battle report is a description of two army lists being used on a board, and lists the process of how one defeats the other.

But it sounds like you're more interested in posting the pictures of a game than actually posting a battle report. That's ok for some people, but at that point it's hardly a bat rep at all. Most of my battle reports have very, very limited text because I can portray all the movement and shooting by drawing lines. Then, I simply type what I was thinking and interesting results of what you see. Sometimes I add "unit speech" to emphasize those points. Some of my battle report pictures have as much as 2 sentences for one turn. It's probably why people bother to read them.

The point of pictures in a report is to eliminate your need to explain movement and location (and sometimes chosen targets). Most of a bat rep is very vague and brings up a lot of questions when you don't thoroughly explain everyone's locations, but at least you can see who targeted who, when, and a sequence of events. But pictures do not eliminate the need to explain. Remember, we weren't there, and you cannot assume that we can remember or tell what happened at location X and close combat Y.

If you want a lot of pictures, do something along the lines of this. These pictures are very clean and clear, and I can not only look at the minis, but see what they're doing thanks to the descriptions.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:24   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

I would like to point out that this thread was revived after a good deal of time from when it was posted, I find it kind of silly to be discussing it now of all things.

And fair enough if you guys prefer long narratives and essay style reports I have nothing against that, that's like people who enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby opposite to those who could care less for how pretty their toy soldiers look and are more focused on the play aspect.

I have nothing against either side, but personally i do not care about how pretty my toys look yes it is a nicer to have them painted but my focus is on competitive play. This is what I and others like me enjoy.

By that same logic I prefer short, easy to read battle reports that ANYONE can ease into and be done with in a short period of time and get a sense for the battle.

I'm not here to write a story for you, i'm not here to explain every last detail, and i'm most definetly not interested in spending 6 hours on such things.

If you do not like it fair enough that is your opinion and i will respect it. I did ask the question because from MY point of view those type of battle reports as done by Colonel and others are BORING and specially ones built with Vassal pictures those are hella lame to me.

If i would to read a battle report with long narratives/descriptions I would enjoy it on the level of a White Dwarf battle report which includes extensive nice crisp pics and the models facing off on the table over nice terrain is certainly a great thing to behold.

So to make this very and i do mean VERY VERY clear to the lot of you.

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND DIFFERENT TASTES IN THINGS.

Thus we can all agree to respect this fact of life. Can we not?
Old 29 Jan 2010, 19:33   #24 (permalink)
Shas'O

The thread is only days old.

And of course I agree. I feel like my post has been ignored though. I, for one, am not looking for a novel, a narrative, a massive amount of fluff. Just a bit of text to actually explain the game rather than a short battle report equivalent of a picture book.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 19:40   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Which post you talking about, Seth? I haven't seen any battle report from you.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 19:42   #26 (permalink)
Shas'O

I meant my post earlier in this thread, where I gave Akaiyou an honest critique, that he needn't write an epic, just some text to compliment the pictures and explain the game better.

No, I haven't written a battle report in years. I should get on that sometime... :P
Old 29 Jan 2010, 19:47   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
I meant my post earlier in this thread, where I gave Akaiyou an honest critique, that he needn't write an epic, just some text to compliment the pictures and explain the game better.

No, I haven't written a battle report in years. I should get on that sometime... :P
I agree I don't want anything really long but I want something to tell me what actually happened. I wrote a betrep a long time ago and I think it is quite good though I may have gone overboard writing a random story thing.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:08   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

I made the thread on jan 10 and the last post was on jan 12 and then no posts until 2 weeks later jan 23rd so by all means i thought this thread was dead and gone, why did it suddenly get revived?

And at first I did post a lot more 'text' in my battle reports if you look at my posted threads you will see I included a great deal of text and pics which took a ridiculous amount of time so I tried to shorten the length of time

Since i usually posted several reports anyway.

Any how not every report i've written has been a 'picture book' as you would call it. And still no features so fair enough all i wanted to know is what is the criteria here, since I personally feel i've made some reports of some VERY VERY epic games i've had win or lose

That i would think others would enjoy checking out as much as i enjoyed writting about it and taking epic pics of the fight trying to take 'action' shots and all for the sake of a more dynamic look.

But hey if vassal pics and random lines do it for you guys then fair enough, i personally can't be pleased by box of texts and stick figures no matter how fancy you try to make it it is just not my thing.

To each his own.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:12   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think this thread has served its use. Locking it down.