Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark and Spikey vs. Green and Krumpy (2000 pts, Dark Eldar vs. Orks 1-2-2009)
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dark and Spikey vs. Green and Krumpy (2000 pts, Dark Eldar vs. Orks 1-2-2009)

It was supposed to be the last place to have a good scrap on the planet. Mainly because it was where the last fighting humans on Antragynos IV still held out. As soon as he had heard, Grubbynutz had gathered up the fastest of his boyz and raced up to get into the fight before another boss beat him to it.

However, the settlement was eerily quiet as the orks entered it. Of course, the orks didn't notice, on account of them making enough noise for four towns plus a three ring circus and a demolition derby. Klickinklak was the first to notice, approximately thirty minutes after the first ork entered the town. He was in the middle of ransacking a human street car for parts.

"Ey... where's all da 'umies?"

The nearby lootaz shrugged and continued with their ransacking. Klickinklak shook his head. He'd love nothing more than to stay and rip up more human stuff, but this was probably one of the things that Warlord Grubbynutz had insisted he be told about.

He found the boss in the central square, helping his nobz prise the head off of the statue of a sad-looking beakie that stood there. Grubbynutz nodded slowly when the mek trotted out his observation.

"Yep, Klicky, dey'ze gone all right. Er..." he squinted down at the mek, obviously struggling with the wording ".... thanks?"

"Yer welcome boss!" Klicklinklak said, a huge grin overtaking his face, "What'z we'ze gonna do now?"

"We'ze gonna find where dey went! As a reward for tinkin up da fact dat dey're missin' you get to take Krakalak's and Brok's mob out of town to go find dem. We needz loads more workers for da workshop back at Gorktown".

Klickinklak sighed and dashed off to collect the mentioned mobz. For a minute there he had thought he was going to receive an actual reward. Instead, he was probably off to get himself shot at... again.

"The orks are doing what?"

The question hung in the air for a moment after Dracon Thace Sciereh spoke it. The mandrake kept his eyes firmly on the black marble floor. All around him the warriors of this Kabal were cradling their weaponry eagerly. They knew blood was about to be spilled. The mandrake willed his voice calm and spoke.

"As I said, mistress, they are closing in on our portal. We expect contact within 20 minutes."

"20 minutes, mandrake?" the Dracon repeated, flexing her agonizer lazily "The Archon will be most displeased... I do not understand how this was allowed to transpire on your watch, Mandrake. We left the entire town's wealth intact for the orks to 'loot' and yet you have allowed them to find us anyway-"

"What did you expect would happen, Dracon?" a cold and imperious voice stated from the throneroom's doorway. The Mandrake turned and dropped to one knee. All around him, the Kabal warriors did the same. Archon Cidea Delil stood in all her finery, her scars and weaponry only added to her beauty in the opinion of the mandrake. With a glance and barely perceptible nod she acknowledged the presence of the mandrake before turning her attention fully on her lieutenant.

"Did you honestly think that the orks would take your paltry bait? Have you learned nothing about these creatures? They desire combat, Thace. You should have left a portion of the human defence force intact for them to fight. That would have covered our retreat in a satisfactory manner."

The Mandrake was very grateful for his mask, as his smirk would have earned him a swift death at the hands of the Dracon. He had suggested just such a course to her prior to the raid, and she had dismissed his plan. Now she paid the price, standing pale and sputtering before the fury of her mistress. He let his smirk grow into an outright grin.

"Mistress, I-" began the Dracon. But she was cut off with a wave of the Archon's gauntleted hand.

"Silence. As I said, the orks desire combat. And someone must give it to them, no? Due to your actions, that someone must be our Kabal, Thace. Ready your Incubi. I will allow no more of your failures today. I will lead the Kabal into battle personally. Pray that you find a way to redeem yourself."

With a grace and precision that spoke of years of experience, the Kabal was armed and airborne in less than five minutes. The sleek forms of their skiffs and bikes raced through the greasy Commorragh sky towards the portal and the world that lay beyond it.

This past saturday, I had a chance to play one of the armies that my Orks have yet to fight - Dark Eldar (I think this just leaves Dark Angels). It was against Jester, one of my buddies and longtime opponent. We always have extremely bloody games, no matter who wins or loses.

His list looked a bit like this:

Archon (shadowfield, jetbike, punisher, combat drugs)
Dracon (agonizer, combat drugs)
-6 INcubi (1 is Drazhar, master of blades)
-Raider (Dark Lance)
8 Wyches (Succubus with Agnonizer) Drug Result: +1 WS
-Raider (Dark Lance)
10 Warriors (Splinter Cannon, Blaster, Sybarite with Agonizer)
-Raider (Dark Lance)
-Raider (Dark Lance)
-Raider (Dark Lance)
10 Warriors (2 dark lances)
10 Warriors (2 dark lances)
6 Reaver Jetbikes (Succubus with agonizer, 2 blasters) Drug Result: Reroll failed to hits
Ravager (3 disintegrators)
Ravager (3 Dark lances)

My list was the same one I took to the tournament last month. You can view it here:
http://tauonline.org/index.php?conte...my=179&sub=227

Mission: Capture and Control
Deployment: Dawn of War

Deployment:

I win the roll for deployment and cede board edge and first turn to him. Never go first against skimmers. Not AS important against Dark Eldar (because their skimmers have a nasty habit of dying) as their more robustly armored cousins, but still a good rule of thumb. He selects a side with a two story building and puts his objective and one dark lance foot squad on the roof while the other dark lance foot squad sits on the second story. Quite a fortress.

I go for classic, full on dawn of war ork deployment. That is, 60 orks and a mekboy. I concentrate them on the right side of the table. Their mission is clear, get to the dark eldar objective, kill the dark eldar and hold it. As always, this plan will become more complicated and less reliable as the game goes on.

I decline to seize the initiative.

Dark Eldar 1
He rolls onto the board and sends a bunch of shots at my lefthand sluggaz. I think he kills around 5-6. Fortunately, the ravager's aim is foiled by nightfight.

His wyches hop out and hope for a lucky first turn charge with their fleet, but fail to get it when they only fleet 2".

Note his Dracon and Arcon are both positioned to my left.

Ork 1

In my turn, I also bring my entire army on. The battlewagons zoom up on my my middle left, while the kanz and remaining sluggaz head out to challenge the dark eldar strong flank on my left. The lootaz take up a protected firing position on the right.

Shooting sees me stun his Dracon's raider, and not much else.

In close combat, I'm able to assault the wyches by a hair. Hurray! However, combat doesn't go as well as I hoped and the wyches hold me in place with a draw (3 models lost per side).

Dark Eldar 2

He rockets his bikes and one raider on the left forward and makes quick work of my left-most kanz squadron. Ouch. 3 Shots = 3 kills. The dark lance ravager explodes my nob wagon, despite a cover save. No nobz die in the blast (a few sluggaz who were standing nearby take some shrapnel to the face) but then the ravager with disintegrators winds up and blasts away one nob and wounds the painboy. The squads he has on his objective building scythe into the squad with my mek, killing a handful.

In combat, 3 orks are sliced into pieces, but in response 3 wyches and the sybarite are dragged down . He makes his leadership test to stay. Darn.

Ork 2

The big mek's squad trips through the terrain and gets a similar run role, putting them at least one turn away from a charge on the closest DE squad.

The meganobz race forward and disembark, and the warboss and his nobz disentangle themselves from wreck of their wagon to hop into the meganobz's former ride.

THe remaining kan squadron targets the dracon raider again and succeeds in blasting its weaponry off and immobilizing it. The lootaz explode the disintegrator ravager with a hail of dakka. Hurray!

In combat, the meganobz wreck the wyche's raider, while the last wyche is dragged down by sluggaz.

Dark Eldar 3

He sends another warrior raider over to the left, moving flat out to get out of meganob charge range. On that side, the bikes and the other raider open fire on the kanz, downing two this time. The dark lance ravager opens up on the remaining wagon, scoring a penetrating hit. Fortunately, it is saved by the Big Mek's Kustom Force Field.

On the right, the slugga squad that just wiped out the wyches absorbs firepower from all three nearby dark eldar squads (two in the tower plus one in a combat-speed-moving raider). They are halved in number.

Ork 3

WAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Grubbynutz and his nobz drive the wagon through the difficult terrain, disembark and waaagh into the two raiders on the other side. Both are exploded. The warrior squad loses two models from the explosion and is pinned, but the other raider disgorges 6 angry but unharmed incubi and an even more angry dracon.

The sluggaz perform a similar maneuver and catch the archon's bike squad with a waaagh and charge through the ruined temple near my board edge. They lose 8 orks but wipe out the bike squad, leaving only the archon in combat with them.

The meganobz risk the dangerous terrain test and climb over the raider they just wrecked and waaagh to get into assault range of the dark lance ravager and rip it apart.

The depleted slugga mob that just absorbed so much firepower attacks the raider right in front of them and wrecks it, forcing the warrior squad to disembark.

The Bik Mek's slugga squad FINALLY gets to the building (18" and 3" up never seemed so far) and rips apart the warrior squad on the second floor. The warrior squad on the roof remains, but they are in easy assault range for next turn.

Dark Eldar 4

On the right, the warriors who just got forcibly ejected from their transport shoot the slugga boyz in the open and kill a handful. The remaining sluggaz fail their ensuing check but are convinced to stick around by the nob and his bosspole (the recipient of the wound even lives!). The doomed warrior squad on the roof of the building shoots down through some cracks in the floor to kill a few sluggaz.

On the left, the last remaining raider takes its precious cargo of warriors near the objective. The lance from the raider and the blaster from the squad inside combine to only stun the sole active kan.

The dracon leads a charge with her incbui into the nobz. Through some serious dice-related ineptitude, they fail to do more than kill a single slugga-choppa nob. Due to some equal dice-related ineptitude (and the fact that his charge reaction was unable to bring Grubbynutz into combat), my nobz only off two incubi. Tie combat.

Farther south, the archon kills 4 slugga boyz but has her shadowfield broken by the slugga attacks and is finished off by the klaw-nob. The squad consolidates towards the last raider.

Ork 4

The now-empty wagon tank-shocks the warrior squad that had been pinned, squashing the blaster-armed warrior after a failed death or glory and sending the squad running, albeit very slowly, away (he rolled a 2" on his flee move). The lootaz target the dark eldar squad in the crater on the right, trying to soften them up for a charge from my few remaining sluggaz. I only drop a couple.

On the right the mek's squad runs up to the roof of the building and butchers the final dark eldar squad for a few losses. I am now in pretty firm control of the dark eldar objective that resides there. My own objective is another matter...

The slugga mob on the outside (now number only a handful and the nob) charge the recently-disembarked warrior squad in the crater. However, the dark eldar prove to be more than up to the task and kill off all the remaining orks and send the nob running. They consolidate towards the dark eldar objective building.

On the left, the slugga mob that just killed the archon runs towards the raider that's hovering dangerously close to my objective. They wreck it, forcing the warrior squad to get out. The warriors are unpinned.

In the nob/incubi combat, the dark eldar wound four nobz. They put two wounds on grubbynutz but they are saved with the mighty cybork body. The nobz slice and dice all the remaining incubi and put a wound on the dracon, which is enough to tie the combat.

Dark Eldar 5

The fleeing squad is unable to rally, but decides to run only a little bit faster (rolling a 3). They pour their shots into the slugga squad nearby, killing a few. The warrior squad that had their transport wrecked the previous turn move up and claim the objective. He shoots them at the kan, hoping to remove one threat. He hits and fails to pen.

On the right, the dark eldar squad over there charges my orks, dragging the guys who were holding the objective on the third floor down to the first and out of objective claiming range. The dark eldar are predictably butchered, however, and the orks consolidate up back up to the second floor (I would have needed a 6 to get back up to the roof). I"m really glad I have last turn here.

In other combat-related news, Drazar and the Dracon are pulled down for the loss of a couple nobz. Grubbynutz leads to the victorious nobz towards their wagon.

It's worth noting that at the end of his turn 5 he was winning 1-0. He was surrounded and virtually out of troops, but he was winning.

Ork 5

I move my boyz back up to the roof of the dark eldar building and claim the objective there. Then I tank shock the dark eldar on the objective with my battle wagon. They try a death or glory shot with their blaster but he fails and gets squished. They then proceed to fail their ensuing leadership test and head for the hills. With two fleeing warrior squads left (who are about to get the hammer dropped on them) and me in control of two objectives, he concedes.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaarggghh!" the nob roared as he hung onto the front of the battle wagon. It plowed into the Dark Eldar warriors, crushing one that was frantically trying to aim a dangerous look projectile weapon. As the Xenos scattered, the nobz dismounted from the wagon to look around. Grubbynutz stomped over to the nob who had made the exclamation.

"Err.... when you waaaaaaaggghhed back 'dere.... you did it wrong."

"Wrong, boss?" ventured the Nob, scratching himself with his power klaw (a dangerous activity for a trained professional, which no ork was).

"Yar, you added an 'r' tingy to it. Youze has to say it 'waaaaaagghh'." Some of the other nobz nodded at this, mainly because nodding when a warboss was talking was a very prudent thing to do.

"I dunno boss... I 'eard some of Gitfang's lad's dat we picked up sayin' it like dat. Dey was tellin' me 'bout dis freebooter warboss dat-"

"Ey boss!" a shrill voice broke up their conversation. Klickinklak raced up, panting from running with his massive kustom force field strapped to his back. Grubbynutz raised his one organic eyebrow (the other was decorative squig hide over steel). The mek only ran when he was excited or scared.

"You'ze not gonna believe dis boss, but... we'ze been called... on da talky-box." The mek gasped out. Grubbynutz snorted and stomped the dark eldar that the battlewagon had hit. He hated bad new.

"Ghaz again? I 'spose dat get wants us to go to da center of da sun or somefing..." he growled. The mek shook his head.

"No boss... it's from some 'umies. Dey says dey want to 'elp us."
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Dark and Spikey vs. Green and Krumpy (2000 pts, Dark Eldar vs. Orks 1-2-2009)

Postmortem:

What a game! Around turn two, when he was blowing up my wagon and killing my kanz, I started to get a little worried that this would end up being one of those games that end in a draw. Well, they are a draw until the fast guy gets something over to contest the enemy objective in the final turn.

I think we both played the objectives well. For most of the game I was in pretty real danger of losing my objective to him (though at the same time he was in pretty real danger of losing his objective to me).

In some capture and control missions one player stands off until turn 5 and then makes a couple half-hearted moves to force the draw. It's probably down to the armies on each side, but it certainly wasn't so here! We were both commited to fully attacking both objectives. I did hold my meganobz and nobz as mobile reserves to see where he was attacking most heavily (it ended up being the left). I couldn't wait too long though, with all those dark lance just itching to turn my mobile reserves into smoking wrecks.

I got rather lucky on a number of things, namely his incubi whiffing terrible on their to-hit rolls (again, the waaagh banner is the greatest invention in all orkdom) and some turbocharged waaagh rolls (Grubbynutz must have really belted out the waaagh of his life there).

That said, a lot of the result came down to the way our lists matched up (we both used our tourney lists). My army is best against light armor and light infantry, which is basically 90% of his army. Meanwhile his army has loads of dark lances, which are great for popping mech armies out of their transports, but not as good at facing down the horde.

In any case, it was a great game and I hope to have a rematch against Jester at some point. The aggressive-speedy style of the Dark Eldar are an interesting matchup with my own more plodding aggressiveness.
Old 04 Jan 2010, 08:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Dark and Spikey vs. Green and Krumpy (2000 pts, Dark Eldar vs. Orks 1-2-2009)

Hard to tell, but it seemed like the DE player didn't really capitalize on his maneuverability. I would have stayed away from you until I killed all your transports and kans.

Good fight against an opponent people rarely play opposite of though. I've only ever fought them once, and that was with my Tau. I've been trying to get the Codex on Ebay, but people keep outbidding me.

So, do you have a team/apoc game coming up?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2010, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Droofus:
You have just lived my dream of playing vs a non-proxied DE force!
I've yet to see them played out in person, but it was nice to see that you waded through all of that Dark Lance spam to come out on top. (My name? Lance, Dark Lance. At your service.)
Also surprised to see them so aggressive, but I suppose you were putting the pressure on, top speed!
It looked like it was close up until the end, and the carnage was rife and well done.
I personally hope the rumors of new DE models is true, as I'd love to see more of these kinds of shenanigans.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2010, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Scoutfox, you're most likely right, although in the case of the Slugga charge on the Jetbikes, it was merely a case of someone rolling far more 5+ difficult terrain moves in a row than can reasonably be expected. Hmm...not really too much to say about this one actually.
Jester, The Honorificless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2010, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Good fight against an opponent people rarely play opposite of though. I've only ever fought them once, and that was with my Tau. I've been trying to get the Codex on Ebay, but people keep outbidding me.
Thanks!

Yeah, it's an odd codex - outdated in many ways and yet extremely powerful in others. How did your Tau do against them? That would be another interesting matchup, I would guess.

Quote:
So, do you have a team/apoc game coming up?
LOL you see right through me. Yeah, a team tournament (at Game Castle in Londonderry on the 16th - grab a buddy and head up). I'll be fighting alongside the Hands of Vengeance. We're currently crafting the justification, and I think it's going to be a good un.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
You have just lived my dream of playing vs a non-proxied DE force!
Yeah, I dunno about it. I guess it's like seeing a siberian tiger in the wild or something. You're elated and then a bit worried.

Quote:
I've yet to see them played out in person, but it was nice to see that you waded through all of that Dark Lance spam to come out on top. (My name? Lance, Dark Lance. At your service.)
Well I was one KFF save away from probably losing my other wagon, so it definitely was scary. The fact that they're B.S. 4 makes their lances SO much better than the regular eldar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toof
Also surprised to see them so aggressive, but I suppose you were putting the pressure on, top speed!
I think, and Jester can correct me if I'm wrong, that they're an aggressive army out of necessity. Fragile transports means that they can't sit back and wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toof
It looked like it was close up until the end, and the carnage was rife and well done.
Thanks! I was so glad I ceded first turn to him. Would have been a bit different if I had gone first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester, The Honorificless
Scoutfox, you're most likely right, although in the case of the Slugga charge on the Jetbikes, it was merely a case of someone rolling far more 5+ difficult terrain moves in a row than can reasonably be expected. Hmm...not really too much to say about this one actually.
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. When playing my IG I learned that it just happens that way far too often when you want to stay out of combat.

We do need a rematch though.

How was the fluff? I stole the character names for your Archon and Dracon right out of your sig. Hope I did them justice.
Old 05 Jan 2010, 03:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Those fragile transports don't stand up well to ion cannons, missile pods, railguns, and pulse weaponry. I pretty much took out all his transports in the first two rounds and then the submuntion round was wiping out a squad/shot. It was pretty nasty, and they didn't stand a chance.

I'm not working the 16th, but the new baby is keeping me busy. If I can manage it somehow I'd make the trip. What are the points, times, entry fees?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Those fragile transports don't stand up well to ion cannons, missile pods, railguns, and pulse weaponry. I pretty much took out all his transports in the first two rounds and then the submuntion round was wiping out a squad/shot. It was pretty nasty, and they didn't stand a chance.
Never thought about that. There's really no reason to fire the solid shot from the rail cannon against Dark Eldar. It'd be submunition all the way.

It would be ugly to face them in dawn of war with a shooting army though.

Quote:
I'm not working the 16th, but the new baby is keeping me busy. If I can manage it somehow I'd make the trip. What are the points, times, entry fees?
They usually start registration at 10AM.
$10 entrance fee (probably per player).
1750 (per player, so a whopping 3500 per side)

Hope to see you there!