Warhammer 40K Forum

WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech Blood Angels (1850pts, 12/10) in "DRINK ME!"
Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech Blood Angels (1850pts, 12/10) in "DRINK ME!"

WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech Blood Angels (1850pts, 12/10) in "DRINK ME!"

Hi All,
I bring another Grumgutz!
This one pits Warboss Grimskull Gobsmasha against a bunch of nasty Mech Blood Angels with all the nasty fixins.
I won't spoil it too much, but there were highs, lows and a LOT of krumpin'.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S. As always, C&C is greatly appreciated!

WAARGH Grumgutz Alterate 64 "Grimskull's Gobsmashas" (1850pts) 72 Infantry, 3 Walkers, 3 Vehicles, 3 Artillary; 13KPs
Warboss Grimskull Gobsmasha (Warboss w/HA, PK, Cybork Body)
Big Mek Wingnut w/KFF
Da Lucky Seven: Nobzx7 w/Dokta Chop, PKsx3, BCsx3, Kombi-Skorchasx2, WAARGH Banner, BP (BW Transport, Counts as Troop)
TinEar and Da Deffboyz (Lootasx10)
Irongob and Da'Ard Boyz ('Ard Boyzx19 w/PK Nob, BP)
Shootazx30 w/PK Nob, Rokkitsx3
Da Fab Four (MegaNobzx4 w/Kombi-Skorchasx2)
Wartrukk (Trukk w/Ram, RPJ, Big Shoota, Boarding Plank; Dedicated Transport)
Da Beast (BW w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Armor Plates, Big Shoota; Dedicated Transport)
Da Big Red Cheez ((BW w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Armor Plates, Big Shoota)
BigToof (DeffDread with total 3 CCW, Skorcha; Counts as Troop)
BigToof's Steelgrots (Killa Kansx2 w/Grotzookas)
Kannonsx3 w/Runtherd Bogwog

Mechanized Blood Angels (1850pts): 35 Infantry, 1 Walker, 6 Vehicles
Corbulo
Assault Termsx7 (6xTLC, 1xTH)
Death Companyx3
Ven. Furioso Dread in Drop Pod
Tac Squadx10 in Rhino, Meltagun, ML, PF
Tac Squadx5 in Rhino, Meltagun, PF
Tac Squadx5 w/Lascannon (Combat-squadded)
Assault Bikesx2 w/ Multi-Meltas
Assault Bikesx2 w/ Multi-Meltas
Baal Predator
Baal Predator
Land Raider Crusader w/Multi-Melta

High Priest Corbulo looked at the scans. The results were not comforting. Mestiphon himself had been humbled by these Orks, and their numbers had only grown since that fateful encounter. However, the Blood Angels could not stand idlely by and watch the Green Menace engulf another planet. Steeling himself, and looking at the Red Grail for inspiration, the High Priest peered over the orbital scans again. He noted a pair of large Ork vehicles, no doubt transporting leaders of their strange armada. If they could be taken down, perhaps the WAARGH would be slowed enough for the rest of the Imperial forces to clamp down and bring the spreading green stain to a halt. Although it would be costly and endanger the lives of many Blood Angels, the valiant Space Marines could not sit idle any longer. To Battle!

Big Mek Wingnut looked over at Warboss Grimskull Gobsmasha. The Warboss had grown significantly in size after his last few battles, and now rivaled that of Warlord Grumgutz Bitzgrabber. The now-slightly-less-than articulate Warboss had plans of his own, and the Big Mek didn't like them one bit. Still, at least the Warboss was easy to persuade, although it had to be simple enough.
Grimskull was stroking his (admittantly very dead) pet Squig, Kaptin Lucky and looking out at the horizon.
"Uh, Boss, whatcha..." ventured the Big Mek.
"WHAT YOU TELL GRIMSKULL TO DO?"
The large maw of the Warboss let loose a veritable howitzer of spittle that painted the Big Mek and his Battlewagon.
"Uh, what I meant was, ain't we gonna go find a fight or somefin'?"
Grimskull nodded, brought the Squig up to his ear, looked around, and nodded again.
"KAPTIN LUCKY SAY BEAKIES COME DIS WAY. DEY WANNA FIGHT US. DAT GOOD. ME GRIMSKULL WANT FIGHT NOW!!"
The Warboss leapt up and down in his Wagon, jostling the occupants around, while looking expectantly at the sky.
Wingnut only sighed. If Kaptin Lucky said it was going to happen, that seemed fair enough, although it was high time that the Beakies came back for a proper krumpin'!

Pre-Game Setup: I can't believe it, an actual Space Marine army and not something messed in the head!
But... Wow, that's a lot of Melta. Not too surprising in this day and age, but it's a lot of melta and some pretty hard hitting vehicles. Oh, and a Furioso Dread in a pod (shudder). This could go really bad or pretty bad, but there's no doubt that the Blood Angels are out for err... blood, and won't be kind about it!

Mission: Command and Conquer
Setup: Pitched Battle
Terrain: Ruins

Setup: Well, at this this board has some potential. It was ruins (again), with a good deal of decent sized (but not too large) buildings scattered around. The BA's won the roll, but passed it to the Orks. (Being C&C, this wasn't too surprising of a move)
The Orks took half with the more centralized cover, with the Lootas in a patch of cover to the left, the Kannons to a ruin in the right. Between them, the two massive Battlewagons with their cargo of Nobz+Wingnut and 'Ard Boyz+Grimskull stood ready to go. BigToof went to the left, and the Kans were placed to the right. The shootas peppered the area behind the Kans/Wagons. The Orks placed their objective in front of the Lootas.

Pic Caption: 'Ere we go! Off to get whatever is uh... going to be out there!

The Angels deploy heavily to the left, with the Baal Predators and Land Raider (with its Corbs+Termies) to the far left, one Rhino (with 10 man tac squad) near the center behind some LOS-preventing cover, and put a Lascannon squad on the second story of that same cover. Both of the Assault Bike squads were clustered in the back, ready to go and safely out of Loota range and LOS. The Dread and the last Rhino were in reserve. Oh, and the BAs put their objective behind the Lascannons (surprise!).

Pic Caption: Mech? Why is always Mech?

Turn 1: Orks
Wingnut and Grimskull looked out at the cluster of Marine vehicles. Wingnut nodded. The huge armada of vehicles dwarfed their own, but that was alright. The Beakies should get some kind of leg up in this fight. Wouldn't be sportin' otherwise.
Grimskull peered out and looked around.
"BEAKIES NO COME! BAD BEAKIES! YOU NO HIDE FROM GRIMSKULL!"
Before Wingnut could say anything, the Warboss slammed his Power Klaw on the roof of the Battlewagon, and the vehicle shot forward. Knowing better than to stay behind, Wingnut nodded to his crew. If the Warboss wanted a fight, a fight he would get...

Deciding to try some Eldar-like tactics, everyone rolls a bit forward, heading to the right in a sweeping-tactically-outflanking sort of business.
The Trukk meanwhile, shot to the left, trying to get sneaky and head towards the Predators.
Shooting is rather short, but profitable, as the Lootas fire and shake the right-most Baal Predator.

Pic Caption: It's blurry because of the speed lines, uh, right!

Don't mind us! We're just looking!

Turn 1: BAs
The Angels all move forward cautiously, the shooting from the lone operating Predator taking down a few Lootas, but they hold.
The Blood Angels turbo their Assault Bikes around and put a pair near the rear of the board. Hmm... Bait? Why yes?

Turn 2: Orks
"BEAKIES THERE! HAHA! BEAKIES NOT GO FAST ENOUGH!"

Grimskull and his Tuffboyz have apparently never heard of this "bait" concept and drive up close to the Bike Squad, leaping out and getting ready to bring the hurt.
Realizing that the assault flag has been dropped, the MANZ do the same, zipping forward and dropping out decently close to the LRC. (Hmm... how close is close anyway?)
Random fire from the Kannons take down a Lascannon Tac.
BigToof fires and takes down another! (Almost made up the cost right there!)
Unfortunately, the Lootas fail to shake the Preds...
And... Grimskull calls his WAARGH!
The Warboss and crew easily assault the Bike Squad, wiping them out in exchange for a flesh wound on the Nob.
And in a sad, sad attempt at a WAARGH, the MANZ utterly fail in their assault attempt. (Mork, is 7" too much to ask??)

Turn 2: BAs
Both the Dread and the Rhino come in from reserves (uh oh).
Just as the BAs are wallowing in their good luck, Lady Luck proves herself fickle and slams the BAs upside the head with some funky rolling madness!
One Pred attempts to kick in his super-engines and immobilizes itself!
The foamy-mad Furioso Dread comes down right in the face of Da Beast. Wingnut realizes that yes, trap this is. Smart maybe this was not. (However, he wasn't aware of Mork and Lady Luck getting ready for some madcap antics)
The other Rhino also comes in on the right side, making sure to be within 6" of the BRC.
Now for the shooting phase, and the BA player is readying his multi-colored dice of Melta goodness!
However, all is for naught, as the Mass melta (i.e. Bike Squad, Dread, Rhinos)=nothing! All miss or fail to penetrate the KFF!
The Orks hoot, holler, and proceed to heat their squig dinners on the nicely toasted armor of the Battlewagons.
Assault, however, was a completely different story.
The Assault Terms and DC (completely pumped up with Corb's Magic Mountain Dew of Furious Charge) destroy the MANZ with a horrid number of no-armor-saves-for-you wounds.
Just utter destruction. The TH Termie didn't even have to swing...
And just to make a point, the Predators wreck the Trukk.

Turn 3: Orks
Grimskull and the Tuffboyz look out and realize that suddenly there's a lot of Beakies in their laps, sitting there with a look of awe and staring dumbfounded at their fancy guns. This meant only one thing: MEGA-ASSAULT TIME!
The Warboss and the 'Ard Boyz spread out and get ready to assault the Bikes and both Rhinos (I mean, why not?)
As if reading some instinctive signals (or maybe the Warboss yelling, "KRUMP ALL DEM BEAKIES!"), the Nobz leap out and head for the rear of the Furioso dread.
Shooting begins with a pretty big surprise for the Blood Angels, as they are introduced to the concept of MASS DAKKA.
The Assault Terminators look around and notice that the Kans and Shootas are looking at them... Oh look... guns.
Mass Shooty from the Shootas and Kans destroy the Terms with a harsh amount of Dakka to just 2 of the big Beakies.
BigToof assaults in (unfortunately through the wrecked Trukk) and destroys Terms in swath of mutual destruction. (Sniff, that's the way 'Toof, that's the way...)
And in the same turn of assault madness, the Nobz politely get the crazed Furioso Dread's attention by flaming it in the rear with two Kombi-Skorchas, stunning the Dread.
They then run in, and as if reeling from the bar-b-quing, the Furioso Dread wiffs all of his attacks!
And the Nobz hit back, not destroying the Dread due to its jammy Veteran rules, but immobilizing the Walker and tearing off both arms (good enough for now).
Oh, and not to be outdone, Grimskull and his Boyz assault in and utterly destroy Bikes, blow up Rhino (darn), killing a pair of marines, but the explosion fails to harm the Orks despite a handful of wounds (Love the Heavy Armor, just love it!)

Turn 3: BAs
With the BAs still reeling from all of the destruction, Lady Luck turns around and roundhouse kicks the BAs square in the nads.
Needing an extra boost badly, the Preds try to overcharge their engines and BOTH immobilize themselves! (At this point, the BA player pointedly picks up both of the dice and "quarantine" them from the rest.)
Getting desperate, and realizing that the BA's are in real danger of being overrun at this point, the LRC rolls forward, going over the wreckage of the Trukk and deploying Corbulo!

Pic Caption: Balls out? Yes. Tactically necessary? Uh... maybe

In addition, realizing that that the Warboss and his crew need to be exterminated right NOW, the small Rhino squad gets out, the Sgt warming up his Power Fist. (After all, how hard can it be to take down 20 Orks?)
Then began the shooting phase...
The LRC fires at point blank range and manages to kill... 0 Orks. Yes, that's right. Horrible jammy cover saves on my part and horridly below average wounding on the part of the LRC.
Corbulo and the DCs assault the big (and entirely unhurt) Shoota squad, downing four.
Both tie each other up, as Corbs takes a wound, but is saved from Insta-death by his fancy cup!
All of the Tacs and Preds shoot at Grimskull and his Boyz, but fail to do much of anything (The still pretty sizable mob lose maybe 3-4 Orks? Again, Heavy Armor. Don't knock it.). Oh, and yes, Grimskull absorbed all of the Lascannons and Meltas like a sponge. Go Cybork Body!
The Marines can't believe it, but since they're already committed, the small Tac squad assaults in, takes down 2 'Ard Boyz, but 4 Marines are downed with PK! Perhaps realizing that things are going downhill fast, the remaining Sgt runs off table!

Pic Caption: Yeah, those beakies in the back are in trouble... Just as soon as I roll my consolidation...

And in a spectacular demonstration that head-butting PK Nobz is not the best way to fight, the Nobz finish off the Furioso Dread (not a particularly hard feat when 2/3 of the damage chart will wreck it).

Picture Caption: Ok, yeah, that should do it. Good lads.

The Orks consolidate onto the BA objective.
At about this time, we checked the clock to find that things were getting really late, and it didn't look like we were going to finish a fourth turn.
However, with the certain krumpin' coming up (and the utter failure of melta+Preds), the BA's admitted the Greenskins had taken the day!

Result: Ork Victory!

Pic Caption: Never bring a cuppa if you're not going to share!

Post-Game Thoughts: I really can't fault my opponent in anything really. He played straight up, but Lady Luck (and maybe Gork and Mork) just had it out for him. I felt like a fat kid in a dodgeball tournament for a while, but when the dice fell, the melta just rolled right off the Battlewagons. And the Blood Angels really need a better mechanic!

Corbulo rolled around on the ground, reaching out for the Red Grail. Battering away a pair of Orks fighting over the artifact, the horrendously wounded Marine grabbed the Blood of Sanguinus and ordered the retreat. The last Death Company marine came to his senses and the pair leaped away just as the Orks were about to bring their Choppas down.
Corbulo nodded to himself. Perhaps Tycho was right, the Orks are not to be underestimated. But there would be a next time...

Warboss Grimskull Gobsmasha walked amongst the broken Beakies and their gear. He was the biggest, baddest Warboss that ever walked (he was certain of this), and it was high time that Grumgutz figured that out. A vicious grin spread across the Warboss' face as plans for straightforward but awesome levels of destruction filled his mind...

Edit: Ran into the BA player today, and he told me that the Nobs actually took three wounds during their fight with the Furioso Dread. We were a bit rushed in that last fight, and I totally didn't hear him. It wouldn't have changed too much anyway, as we would have tied combat (even if I had failed all of my invuls), but I would be down a bunch of Nobs in any case. Just wanted to set the record straight!
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech Blood Angels (1850pts, 12/10) in "DRINK ME!"

Another fantastic edition in the Grumgutz Saga. great work.

Cant wait to see Grumgutz put Grimskull in his place, or get beaten down, which ever works best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: WAARGH Grumgutz vs Mech Blood Angels (1850pts, 12/10) in "DRINK ME!"

The Man They Call Jayne:
First off, great name! (Loved Firefly, but won't get into that now...)
And thank you for the compliment! It really feels great that people are enjoying the fluff.
This isn't the first time that WAARGH Grumgutz has had a (Un)civil war, and it probably won't be the last... I'll just have to find another person who won't mind playing one side.
It'll be interesting, that's for sure!
If Grimskull wins, I guess I might have to rename the army, and give Grimskull his Mega-Armor that he's been wanting so badly (at least that I've been wanting to model).
Then again, Grumgutz is darn crafty, so I'll have to see... Not sure how I'll split the forces yet, as I want it to be fair, but I don't think it'll be hard to find someone to play one side...
If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear it!

Best,
-BT
Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

My question is, whats going to happen to Wingnut and the Pan-zee. whos side are they on? or are they craftily coming up with a plan of there own?

I can see Wingnut and Louie planning to overthrow the Warbosses and lead the army themselves using Louies common sense and Wingnuts Gizmos and Bitz.
Quote:
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Old 15 Dec 2009, 00:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Man They Call Jayne:
Wow, that's a great suggestion. Of course it would mean more than one fight as the massive fallout were to occur. Still it would be fun
I'm not sure if Lorilune would have the initiative to lead the army (she's better at divining the future than making it), and Wingnut, well, he hasn't lead an army yet for a reason...
Still, they are a fun couple, and it would be nice to see the Panzee and Wingnut going against the Balls-Out forces of both Bosses! (That'd be a game, I wonder who'd win?)

Best,
-BT
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well the Meks are some of the most "intelligent" orks, and An Eldar farseer is no fool.

I could imagine Grumgutz and Grimskull charging at each other with there armies behind them, Louie and Wingnut standing off to one side with a look of Cunnin in their eyes. As the two hordes collide and start to hack eachother to bit, Louie focusses her powers through Wingnuts Shokk Attack Gun and calls a 'uge Rift in the warp into existance and takes out all the other potential leaders that could take over the WAAAAARGH!. The rift closes and the ork survivors look up to Wingnut, standing on the roof of his own kustom Battlewagon, Shokk Attack Gun on his shoulder, still glowing and smoking, and they all realise as one, that things are going to be a bit different from now on.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15 Dec 2009, 01:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Great battle report once again BigToof, I enjoyed this one a lot

Perhaps instead of an Ork v Ork battle, perhaps some special mission objectives against a willing opponent.

So for example, let the Waaagh meet up again and both Warbosses work together to lead the army against a dug in enemy, cityfight or something like that.
In addition each Warboss has his own agenda to see the other one disposed by the end of the fight.
So they have a competition, who can kill the most, both charging headlong into the enemy to see who can cause the most distruction and thus confirm their place as the biggest boss.
Of course, if one warboss falls to the enemy and the other lives than its a clear winner.
If they both drop, well it might be back to the Ork v Ork battle again.

this would mean not having a KFF at the next battle, but the idea is not self preservation, its about being the last one standing.

It would be great if you had an opponent using a high model count army, to give the bosses the options to kill lots of models each
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 02:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A very well written report, BigToof!

It seems like your Orks have a handle on mech armies, since they're so predominant these days. While your opponent's luck seemed to desert them early on, they still fought valiently. Personally, I would have fielded a larger Death Company unit...marines with Feel No Pain and Rending attacks are pretty mean. Also, I would've started the Furioso on the table; like the Ironclad, those buggers are pretty durable, especially with only a few rokkits in your list.

As for your next report, I agree with Sargaule; instead of an outright fight of Orks vs. Orks, make them compete against each other to knock out something big. Perhaps have an Apocalypse game, and find a partner to play another Ork army. Create some special rules that awards your warboss a point any time they accomplish a goal (destroy a super-heavy, destroy a walker or independant character in Close Combat, capture an objective, survive a wound that would cause Instant Death, etc). Then, the Warboss with the most bragging points to his name takes over the WAAARGH. Perhaps get your Blood Angels opponent back, and have him field one giant army featuring some of the Blood Angels biggest names. Maybe even have them backed up by an Eldrad-led Eldar army, to represent the farseer scanning the strands of fate and realising that either Warboss surviving would be a deadly result for the galaxy!

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 09:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you all for your replies (and ideas!):

The Man They Call Jayne:
A very keen idea and story concept. I'm not sure if I'll use it in exactly such a way, as it does sort of deux ex machina the whole business of the power struggle, but who knows...

Sarguale:
Glad you liked this one
It would be an interesting competition, and it's a good idea!
Double Bosses, eh? You're asking a bit of a lot for this one tactically, but it's an interesting idea...

irishdelinquent:
Well, the DC were really a pain, but I think he was really pushing his point limit with what he had. The Furioso was made to sort of Roadblock any fast movers, and thus was used in reserve.
Also glad you like the report!
An Apocalypse game?
Hmm, now that is an interesting thought. Haven't played in one yet with my Orks, but it is a good concept as well!

Best,
-BT
Old 15 Dec 2009, 09:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Another great report BT, I'm glad you finally found an opponent with a slightly different army, it's been awhile since we've seen any marine reports.
Sounds like some exceptionally bad dice-rolling on the behalf of the marine player though but it all leads to yet another victory for Grimskull.
(Does seem a while since we've seen Grumgutz though, I'd like to know how he and his nob bikers are doing).
Anyway, since we're throwing suggestions round a bit, i'll give you my suggestion, that being why not set up a planetstrike campaign and bring back your primary grumgutz list to see how they all do.

Oh, and I've seen your recent topic on the Ork board about using choices which many people disapprove of. One thing I don't think I've seen you use is a unit of Flash Gitz, I'd love to know how they'd do in one of your fights, maybe if they were just brought in for a battle or two.

Anyway, as I've said many times before, keep up the good work and can't wait for the next one

Job's a good 'un!