Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Orks vs. Space Marines, 1500 point battle (12/5/2009)
Old 08 Dec 2009, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Orks vs. Space Marines, 1500 point battle (12/5/2009)

Last Saturday, I had a game with my regular gaming opponent (whose posting name on Tau online escapes me). We've basically learned our armies by playing against one another, and we usually have a good fight. This game, however, was going to top them all. Quite simply put, it was the best game of 40k that I've had in a long, long time.

“So eh... boss. When is I getting that kill-krooza?” ventured Grubbynutz in a manner timid for him (which consisted of shouting very quietly). The only thing that a large and battle-scarred ork warboss such as him feared was an even larger, more battle scarred warboss. And you didn't get much older, larger or battle scarred than Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, the Beast of Armageddon.

“You ain't” came the rumbling reply from the supreme warboss. “Yooz gonna help me 'ere for a few more days. You can start by taking a couple grot mobz and looking for dat beaky boss dat gave us some problems earlier. I fink you can command grotz, right?”

“But boss, da beakies is gonna attack here!” protested Grubbynutz, stomping a huge and wart-encrusted foot into the concrete floor of the hive platform. Like lightning, Ghaz shambled forward and slashed his power klaw across the face of the smaller boss.

“Shut up and do as yer told!” Wiping the bright red blood away from his face, the smaller warboss nodded his acquiesence. Ghazghkull punched him in the gut, knocking him to the ground.

Several of the mega armored bully-boyz in Ghazghkull's retinue chuckled as Grubbynutz hauled himself upright. Grubbynutz silenced them with a glare. He was seething inside. But he knew that to attack the Supreme Warboss here would be suicide. Instead, he slumped his massive green shoulders and nodded.

“Yes boss.” He trudged off with his Nobz in tow, ready to take his frustration out on the poor grotz of the tribe.

Ghazghkull turned his beady eye to the assembled orks. Picking out a scrawny mek with idly spinning a wrench around his fingers, he pointed and shouted.

“You, dere! Mekboy! Get a shieldy thing and follow me. I know where da beaky boss is gonna come. We'ze gonna krump him good!”

Hands of Vengeance (Space Marine) List:

Chapter Master Yadon Napthal (Vulkan Counts-as)
5 Assault Terminators (Thunder hammer/stormshield)
mounted in Land Raider(extra armor)
Dreadnought (multi-melta, heavy flamer, extra armor)
mounted in Drop pod
Ironclad Dreadnought (heavy flamer, ironclad assault launchers)
mounted in Drop pod
10-man tactical squad (power fist, meltagun, missile launcher)
mounted in Razorback (t-l heavy bolter, pintle storm bolter)
10-man tactical squad
(power fist, meltagun, missile launcher)
mounted in Drop pod

WAAAGGGHH... err... Ghazghkull? (Ork) List:

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thrakka
Big Mek (kustom force field)
5 Meganobz
(3 kombi-skorchaz)
Battlewagon (plates, red paint, ram, big shoota)
30 Slugga Boyz (nob with power klaw, bosspole)
2 Killa Kanz (rokkitz)
2 Killa Kanz (rokkitz)

Mission: Seize Ground (5 objectives).
The board (after objective placement) looked like this:

(the battlefield)

Deployment: Spearhead. I won the roll off and let him select and deploy first. He selected a corner with a large building and several objectives within easy access. This gave me a corner with a smaller building but still within access range of several objectives. Deployment looked like this (don't forget that he has three pods and roughly half his army in reserve).

(deployment)

I decline my attempt to seize the initiative. In case you are wondering, I want to go last for a number of reasons. 1) it's an objective game and getting last turn still matters. 2) he has a heavy drop army and I want to see where he's putting those first turn arrivals before making my moves.

Space Marine Turn 1:

Both drop pods crash down on target and within melta range of Ghaz's battlewagon (6” for the ironclad, with the normal dread slightly farther back. His other forces stay put.

Some lascannon and missile fire proves ineffective against my kan squadrons (kustom force field and trees FTW!). He shoots both dreadnoughts at the front armor of the wagon. The regular dreadnought hits and penetrates, but the shot bounces off the Kustom Force Field. The iron clad fires its meltagun and hits but rolls a combined five on the penetration roll, failing to get through the armor. I breath a sigh of relief. If either had penetrated and gotten through my save, I would have been looking at him destroying my wagon on a roll of 3+ (due to the AP1 and open-topped rules for damage results). Understandably let-down, he ends his turn.

(Space Marine 1)

Ork Turn 1:
Priority number 1, kill these dreadnoughts!

To that end, the mek leaves the forward slugga squad and joins the one on the left. The Forward squads moves to engage the regular dreadnought, with the support of two kanz. The other two kanz join Ghaz, who hops out of his wagon with his meganobz in tow, to charge and try and destroy the ironclad. The righthand slugga squad (Snake Flicksquig's squad) moves out into no mans land with a good move and run roll. That objective will be mine!

Shooting sees some rockets bounce off the armor of the dreads. Oh well, at least the grotz are accurate today. In close combat, the slugga squad and two kanz charge the regular dreadnought and in a display of competence, the dreadnought explodes both kanz with its two attacks. A handful of orks die in the conflagration, but the nob manages to put a good hit on the dread, only for it to come up shaken. Oh well. I lose a handful more from combat resolution.

Only a slight distance away, the ironclad faces both ghaz and two kanz (the meganobz can't make it into combat due to the cramped confines of the battlefield. Knowing it can't possibly kill ghaz, he targets the kanz, but only stuns one of them (I would feel more badly for him had he not just exploded both the other kanz). The kanz fail to hurt the ironclad, but Ghaz rips it into pieces, killing yet MORE orks from the poor battered slugga squad. I think they're down to around 18 or so by now. Oh well. Sometimes you have to break a few orks in order to kill an ironclad.

Relatively satisfied, I turn the turn over to him.

(Ork Turn 1)

Space Marine 2:

The other drop pod comes in and lands on the other side of the hill from the main combat, near the middle objective. The tac squad combat-squads as it disembarks with the missile and 4 bolters going towards the central hill and the sergeant-led unit going to the right. Both units, supported by missiles from the combat squad that started in the ruined building and the razorback, open fire on the ork mob on the left (Snake's squad). Caught in the open, the orks lose around 10-11 orks in the shooting phase. The land raider arcs a beautiful half-court shot to toast a meganob. (failed my cover, basically).

In close combat, the dread kills an ork but is shaken again. That combat continues, as a draw. The remaining kanz, still in contact with the pod from last turns assault, explode it. Only a few orks die from this explosion.

(Space Marine 2)

Ork Turn 2:

Ghaz and friends load back up in the wagon. The lefthand slugga squad moves cautiously up through the trees. The kanz move to help out the sluggaz against the stubbornly hard-to-kill dreadnought.

Snake's squad (righthand sluggaz) charge the recently dropped tac marines. They get a measure of revenge for the beating they took last turn and kill the missile launcher tactical squad entirely. The sergeant and a single bolter marine survive from the other combat squad and they fall back 11” away from the orks. Snake's squad rolls a measly 1” consolidation, meaning that they won't be able to keep the marines from regrouping.

The kanz charge the dread, though one has to charge the drop pod. It never gets to strike, as the dreadnought immobilizes it, which counts as wrecked because it is part of a squadron. The other kan and the nob strike the dread and manage to rip its dreadnought cloes combat weapon off. Tied combat.

(Ork 2)

Space Marine Turn 3
His tac squad regroups and moves away from the sluggaz. He moves the land raider back over to the right, and along with the razorback, both drop pods and the combat squad in the ruin they fire on Snake's squad. Cover and some failures on the part of the marines ensures that only 5 or so orks are lost. The squad is at 11 and just barely fearless.

In combat, the dread is finally annihilated by the nob. Yet more orks from his squad die in the explosion.

(Space Marine 3)

Sluggaz on the left, led by the mek, advance to claim the objective in the rough ground there. The battlewagon waffles around midfield. The explosion-depleted slugga mob prepares to tempt fate once again by assaulting the drop pod (I couldn't be sure whether the darn thing 3” of the objective). The last kan prepares to join them. Snake's mob on the right runs to claim the objective in that area and also to take cover from the horrific beating being dished out on them by the space marine shooting.

In close combat, the drop pod is wrecked, not exploded. The remaining sluggaz (who just saw around 12 of their buddies get aced by repeated explosions) breath an orky sigh of relief.

(Ork 3)

Space Marine Turn 4

He moves his land raider over to get some shots against Snake's mob. The sergeant and the one remaining marine from the drop pod squad move up after the orks, trying to add to the tally. Despite his entire army firing (two twin-linked heavy bolters, 2 storm bolters a missile launcher and 3 bolter shots), only around 2 orks die (cover saves played their part). The remaining 9 pass leadership and remain in the fight. Hurray!

(Space Marine 4)

Ork Turn 4:

The mek and his sluggaz consolidate their hold on the left hand objective. Snake and his mob complete their migration into the southern building, leaving a luckless boy outside the building to hold the objective. The kan waddles towards the drop pod and unleashes a rokkit that shakes the marine lander. The middle slugga mob sends a boy out to claim the objective there.

At the end of 4, I have 3 objectives and my opponent has 1. Keep this in mind as you see the following turns.

(ork 4)

Space Marines Turn 5:

Knowing that they will lose the battle if they don't force the orks off some of the objectives, the space marine chapter master plays his trump card, namely himself and 5 assault terminators. The land raider cruises across the terrain and deposits the termies within assault range of my slugga boyz. Uh oh...

The remnants of the drop pod squad move and run towards the objective on the central hill, claiming it. The score is now 3-2, orks, with my go-ahead objective now in serious danger from the assault terminators. To make things even more interesting, the combat squad in the razorback advance and deposit themselves within striking distance of the objective, once the terminators clear it.

Seven orks die when vulkan unleashes his heavy flamer. The tac marines down three more. I take them from the back since there's no way he's not getting this assault. A missile from the squad in the tower block shakes the kan.

Then comes the assault. The twin linked, thunderhammer terminators, led by Vulkan, wreck he orks losing only one of their number in the process. The mob is just barely under fearless and I'll need insane heroism to stay. No such luck. The mob runs for the hills (taking the mek with them). The terminators consolidate to make sure the objective is contested.

Score at the end of marine 5 is 2-2.

(Space Marine 5)

Ork Turn 5:
The mek and slugga mob continue to run.

Slugga mob in the center moves up and around the drop pod, abandoning their objective and begins heading towards the marines on the central hill objective. Ghaz and company roar their battle wagon up to the terminators and dump out. Snake's mob stays put. The kan lumbers around the central hill. Aiming to position itself near the central objective.

I can't remember how long its been since I've declared the Waaagh this late in the game. However, the time is now. It critically allows the slugga mob in the middle to almost clear the woods, bringing them into a manageable assault range of the space marines. Rather than fire my skorchaz, I opt to take the move with the meganobz as well. I'd hate to kill one terminator and then get boned by a slow and purposeful roll to assault.

In the assault phase, my slugga boyz roar out of the woods and descend on the two remaining space marines, who are viciously chopped into bits.

But the main event is farther to the west, where Ghazgkull and his 4 meganobz face Vulkan and the same number of terminators. Vulkan kills a meganob before they get a chance to strike. One meganob goes after Vulkan and lands two solid, instant-kill wounds on him, but he passes his saves. Damn. Between Ghazkgull and his meganobz all attacking, only two terminators fall. Striking simultaneously, the terminators erase the meganobz, leaving Ghaz to take 5 fearless wounds, which he makes. Epic combat.

Objective count at the end of 5:
Orks 2 (central hill and southern building) Space Marines 1 (northern building)

(Ork 5)

We roll for game ending and....

It continues!

Space Marine Turn 6:

The land raider launches itself up the central hill and simultaneously tank shocks and contests the central objective. The orks pass their leadership test (forgot about the fearless part of Ghaz's waaagh lasting for the next player turn as well) and move out of the way. Meanwhile the combat squad that just disembarked from the rhino moves up to deal with the wagon. They make sure they also position one member within 3” of the objective.

In shooting the tac marines vaporize the wagon with their meltagun. The land raider uses its power of the machine spirit to kill the kan. Razorback and missile shots directed agains the squad in the woods kill only a couple orks.

In combat, Vulkan scratches feebly against Ghaz's invul save. In reply Ghazghkull puts four wounds on him. One save is failed and Vulkan is snipped in half. Hurray! The terminators likewise find themselves unable to hurt Ghaz. They take leadership and fail. Ghazghkull actually catches them in the sweeping advance, forcing 3 “no retreat!” wounds on them. One failed 2+ later and only one terminator is standing in combat with Ghaz. Oh how things change in the course of one turn.

(Space Marine 6)

Ork Turn 6:

The slugga mob, deciding that the land raider is probably beyond even the power of their nobz (6s to hit and 6s to pen? No thanks!) and move and run down through the woods to claim the objective that they started with. Snake's squad again stays put, happy to hold the objective.

In combat, Ghazghkull absolutely mashes the remaining terminator, who fails to even hit him in reply. He consolidates towards the tactical marines.

Final Score at the end of 6:
Orks 2 (treeline objective on the left, southern building) Space Marines 1 (northern building)

(Ork 6)

We roll to see if the game continues and...

It does!

Space Marine Turn 7

In his turn, the land raider remains stationary, as does the razorback. The tactical combat squad advances to face down Ghazghkull, the beast of Armageddon.

The land raider uses the power of the machine spirit to split its fire. Both lascannons target Ghaz, but critically, both fail to wound (double 1s!). The meltagunner has more luck and manages to take one of Ghaz's wounds. The heavy bolter from the raider and the razorback only a kill a couple orks from the lefthand squad, not enough for a test. Not having a clear shot at that squad, the squad in the tower desperately sends a missile towards snakes squad. It scatter harmlessly on to one ork, who makes his cover save. The storm bolter from the drop pods tries as well, buti fails to even cause a wound.

In combat the tac squad charges Ghazghkull to try and force the draw by killing him and holding the objective. Ghaz takes a wound from the sergeant's powerfist (down to 2) but then proceeds to rip four of the five marines apart. The sergeant bravely stands his ground.

(Space Marine 7)

Ork Turn 7:

I hold on my objectives. We go straight to close combat. The powerfist sergeant fails to hit and is stomped into the ground.

Orks WIN! 2-1!

(End of Ork 7 and the game)

What a game! It went right down to the wire. I'll post some more in depth comments later tonight.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2009, 23:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The Orks vs. Space Marines, 1500 point battle (12/5/2009)

Okay, so Post-report thoughts...

As I mentioned in the outset, the majority our games are close and this one was not one of the exceptions. What was different about this game was the drama and tension going for seven full turns! Normally, one of us screws up and the other one wins, especially if the game goes to turn seven (more turns equals more chances to screw up). In this game, I think we both played our A Game. We both made a few questionable moves, but none that were out and out boneheaded upon reflection (you may disagree! if so, please let me know)

Another thing that added to the drama of this game was the fact that we both used special characters that effected our army.

Both players using a character is important. When one player uses a character like Ghaz or Vulkan, then no matter how gracious the opponent is, I think a tiny grain of resentment creeps in that the other guy has a hero of his race on the other side of the table and they do not. No such problem here. Indeed, the fact that two mighty heroes were meeting on the battlefield and that their presence could be felt outside of their own considerable combat prowess (meltas and thammers from vulkan, 6" waaagh and fearless from Ghaz) only added to the epic nature of the confrontation.

Finally, it went 7 turns! My heart was in my throat at the end of each turn, as I was winning and wanted it to end. However, that die kept coming up high and forcing another turn! I imagine my opponent was feeling the opposite, knowing that he had a chance to win if it would just go another turn. In hindsight, my decision to take second turn was probably the best decision I made in the entire battle. When two evenly matched players meet in an objective mission, the one who goes second often wins.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the fight! We certainly did.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 00:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Another excellent report, Droofus!

That was a good game, though in reading it I have to think that if I had jumped that Melta/Fist combat squad into my Land Raider and then went for the objective on the hill I could have pulled a draw...

But I was going for a win, baby! It's how I roll. ;D

Ghazkull is so nasty though. Giving your whole army the 6 inch Waagh! and a 2++ for that and the following player turns? Good God man! Where were my Psycannons? That'll put a hitch in your git-along! Anyway...

I love these reports, sir. Keep 'em coming!
Old 09 Dec 2009, 03:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That was a brutal game, full of epic win. Congrats on the hard fought victory. Snake had another great game too.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 14:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Rain
Another excellent report, Droofus!
Thanks man, I hope I did the game justice.

Quote:
That was a good game, though in reading it I have to think that if I had jumped that Melta/Fist combat squad into my Land Raider and then went for the objective on the hill I could have pulled a draw...
On turn 6? Maybe. Remember my maps are not 100% accurate. Your tac squad may have been farther back towards your end and thus unable to get within 2" of the land raider doors before movement.

But in any case, don't forget that the tactical squad killed my wagon that turn. I could have contested stuff with the wagon, which made your decision to kill it a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
That was a brutal game, full of epic win. Congrats on the hard fought victory. Snake had another great game too.
Thanks! He certainly did. Though most of the game consisted of his squad getting shot and surviving, he did claim an objective at the end ;D
Old 10 Dec 2009, 13:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Droofus!
Great game. It looked like it was a surprising nail-biter until the end.
Taking out both of the Dreads was critical, and I'm glad that you were able to weather the doom that is the Ironclad Dread. I still am not sure how to deal with that level of monstrosity (I mean AR13 is rough for Orks), but it is good to hear that Ghaz and co. were able to take it down.
Also surprised to see you take Ghaz, but it's good to see that he worked out so well for you.
His 2++ save is rather amazing as well
All in all, great game, and it's nice to see Vulkan-melta lists taken down.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2009, 13:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great report and awesome game all around. I think the biggest thing that hurt the Marine player was his troops. Combat squads are great, I make use of them too, but against an Orks or Nids where there will be a lot of bodies, it isn't always the best option. I may have, in his shoes, combat squaded one of them and left the other at full strength for the forward objectives.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 16:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Hi Droofus!
Great game. It looked like it was a surprising nail-biter until the end.
Thanks! It certainly was. We were both riding high on a adrenaline after this one, which is saying something since it was played late at night.

Quote:
Taking out both of the Dreads was critical, and I'm glad that you were able to weather the doom that is the Ironclad Dread. I still am not sure how to deal with that level of monstrosity (I mean AR13 is rough for Orks), but it is good to hear that Ghaz and co. were able to take it down.
I think Ghaz is the key. Any warboss can kill an ironclad, it's surviving to get strikes that makes Ghaz the more dangerous element. Grubbynutz has done it before, but only when Monster Rain didn't hit with any of his attacks. Normal warbosses don't like strength 10.

Quote:
Also surprised to see you take Ghaz, but it's good to see that he worked out so well for you.
His 2++ save is rather amazing as well
Ghaz rocks. Plus, Grubbynutz works for him (though he hates him - a lot), so it fits fluffwise as well.

Quote:
All in all, great game, and it's nice to see Vulkan-melta lists taken down.
Thanks, though it's those twin linked flamers that scare me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Great report and awesome game all around.
Thank you.
Quote:
I think the biggest thing that hurt the Marine player was his troops. Combat squads are great, I make use of them too, but against an Orks or Nids where there will be a lot of bodies, it isn't always the best option. I may have, in his shoes, combat squaded one of them and left the other at full strength for the forward objectives.
You could be right but, and I can let Monster Rain speak more to this, I'm not sure it would have mattered. Snake's squad dual-assaulted both combat squads after they disembarked from the drop pod and beat them down pretty good. I also play IG and I've found that the big combined squads (slightly similar to the beaky's combat squad dilemma) are just bigger targets for the big slugga mobz.

Now against a more speedfreaky list you might have the right idea keeping them at full strength, as 10 marines will be a difficult task for 12 orks to take care of. But 20 orks (assuming some casualties on the way in, as in this case), should be able to deal with 10 marines as easy as 5 marines.

Old 10 Dec 2009, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can't say for sure it would have mattered either *shrugs*

However, a bit of mathhammer here. Going with 20 Orks on the charge, say 1 is a Nob with a PK, and then his Marines as loaded out, Sarge with PF.

Marines: 9 attacks, 5 hits (rounded up), 3 wounds (rounded up), 2-3 dead Orks (we'll go with 3 dead)
Orks: 68 Attacks , 34 hits, 17 wounds, 6 dead Marines (rounded up)
Sarge: 2 attacks, 1 hit, 1 dead Ork
Nob: 4 attacks, 2 hits, 2 dead Marines

Marines Kill: 4 Orks
Orks Kill: 8 Marines

Orks win and Marines can choose to break off if they want (combat tactics - I know I would), or try and stay in the fight, either way the Marines survived the attack and that is the crucial part. Of course that's mathhammer and it could certainly swing more favorably either way but with 10 Marines they stand a good chance of taking the charge and living through it, well at 20 Orks anyway, more would mean the Marines get wiped out.

Just realizing that's what happened anyway with his drop pod. He did survive with 2 Marines left. Guess my example wasn't really needed :P
Old 10 Dec 2009, 18:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

lol

I was gonna point it out, but you beat me to the punch. I had no idea our combat ended up being average.

I think the only way for 10 marines to beat 20 orks is to get the charge, and even then it's not a sure thing. They'll may still lose out in the end.