Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Y'He Or'es Hunter Cadre vs Nob Biker Army [1850] 12.07.09
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Y'He Or'es Hunter Cadre vs Nob Biker Army [1850] 12.07.09

I would first like to say, that this battle didn't turn out in the slightest the way I thought it would. Not in the slightest. Talking to another player, we got onto the discussion about Ork Nob Bikers. "I have nothing to fear," I said. "I have an army list that will rip them apart."

"Really? Well, let's see about that."

I whipped out my Order of the Merciless Sun Witch Hunters force. With the amount of Faith and Str:8 AP:1 shots I was hammering into those Orks, I thought, surely any Ork force with Nob Bikers couldn't stand up to this. I have Heavy Bolters and numerous attacks + Faith for the hordes, and plenty of Str:8 AP:1 attacks for the Nobz.

Surprise, I came across this:

HQ – Warboss Biker
Power Klaw, Slugga, Warbike, Cybork Body

HQ – Warboss Biker
Power Klaw, Slugga, Warbike, Cybork Body

TROOPS – Nob Bikers
10 Nobz w/Warbikes and Cybork Bodies
4 w/Power Klaws
4 w/Big Choppas
1 w/Waaagh! Banner, Power Klaw
1 Painboy

TROOPS – Nob Bikers
10 Nobz w/Warbikes and Cybork Bodies
4 w/Power Klaws
4 w/Big Choppas
1 w/Waaagh! Banner, Power Klaw
1 Painboy

FAST ATTACK – Stormboyz
18 Stormboyz
Boss Zagstruk

You could imagine, I laughed--really, really hard when I saw this army list. I figured I was going to wipe him off the board by turn 3 or 4. We got an Annihilation game with a Dawn of War setting. My Sisters fought bloody, bloody hard, but it was a losing fight from Turn 1. I shot and charged with my Seraphim, my Dominions and Priest (with 6 melta weapons), and two squads of Storm Troopers. For the next two turns, it was a swirling combat because of that Faith keeping me with a 3+ Invul save, but I didn't have a single model left after that! This is an Anti-Terminator army list. I make my attacks power weapon hits on 6s to wound, add +2 to Strength, and make their saves Invulnerable. This I did with my Seraphim and my Canoness together. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I watched my army disappear to nothing by his turn 4, and I had first turn. He didn't lose a single kill point, and I lost my entire army. (Got close, got each Warboss down to 1 wound, and one unit to 1 Painboy and a wounded Nob.) I forced them to fall back twice, but they fell back far away enough to easily regroup.

You're not going to believe this, but one of the most destructive forces in this Ork army list was all that dakka! When those Orks shot for the first time, I mean 33 shots, hits on 5+, twin-linked, wounds on 2+, it was amazing!

And Zagstruk, oh my gosh! He came out of Deep Strike, and assaulted one of my Exorcists with that counts-as power klaws in the first turn of assault, coupled with being able to assault after Deep Striking?!? It was absolutely ridiculous. It was a rather embarrassing loss to say the least.

I copied the army list, and used it against my cousin's Eldar. He has a bit more wit than I do, but I was able to wipe out his entire army in 7 turns. He had a decent army list, with two Autarchs, almost his entire army in Reserve (came out in Turn 2 as he planned), and shot everything in my face, including 4 flamers and 2 Destructors. That FnP with 4+ armor/4+ cover shocked him to the core as it mowed down his force.

Zagstruk was also a surprise. After Deep Striking a bit far, and with three units tied in combat with the Bikers, the few Boyz that were left were just enough as Zagstruk hammered his way into a unit of Striking Scorpions and his Boyz attacked the Autarch accompanying Warp Spiders.

Most of my cousin's units lost every assault phase, turned around, and ran off the board. It was embarrassing, too, to see him lose this way. I don't wipe him out very often, rather, it is an extremely rare occurrence. Last time this happened was when I used that Calgar + Shrike army list combination that after 4 games he learned to defeat with ease.

Without further ado, I re-challenged my opponent, with shaking knees, with the Y'he Or'es Cadre. I did not expect to win this game. I have finally learned to respect Ork Nob Bikers...

[hr]
[hr]

“We’z da fastest, smashiest, killas on dis whole world! And we’z are gonna smash us some blu-skinz!”

In the race towards the battlefield, one of the Warboss’s bikes got a jam in it, causing his wave of Nobz to stay behind while he tinkered with it. The others revved their engines and kicked up a snowstorm on their way to the Tau battle lines.

-----------

Dram’Ka led the cadre together, nobody staying back. It was a rare thing, but holding back any forces against such a foe was not an option. Looking out in the distance, an oily cloud of snow rose up.

“It is time,” Dram’Ka said. “When they get close, get closer.”

---------

Calgar curiously observed this battle. Everything there was to know about this foe, he would learn it. He had watched this group of Orks, spearheading a whole Waaagh! destroy one of the most powerful armies of faith he had ever witness. Surely this Ork horde could smash its way into the Y’he Or’es Cadre, and stop it in its tracks before the rest of the Green Tide arrived.

[hr]

Y’HE OR’ES CADRE

HQ – Shas’o Commander Dram’Ka
Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster; Shield Generator
2 Shield Drones, Multi-tracker, Stims, Iridium Armor, target lock
Bodyguard
Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, multi-tracker, 2 Gun Drones, Failsafe

HQ – Ethereal and Honor Guard
11 Honor Guard
Hellfish
SMS, Burst Cannon
Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod

TROOPS – 8 Fire Warriors
All w/Pulse Rifles

TROOPS – 8 Fire Warriors
All w/Pulse Rifles

ELITES – 6 Stealthsuits
1 Team Leader w/ fusion blaster, marker drone, target lock
1 Stealthsuit w/fusion blaster

FAST ATTACK – Vespid
6 Vespid, 1 Strainleader

FAST ATTACK – Pathfinders
8 w/pulse carbines and markerlights
Warfish
SMS, Burst Cannon
Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT – Invincible
2 Burst Cannons, Railgun
Multi-tracker, Disruption Pod, Target Lock

HEAVY SUPPORT – Killer
2 Burst Cannons, Railgun
Multi-tracker, Disruption Pod, Target Lock

HEAVY SUPPORT – Lesser Important
Sky Ray w/2 Burst Cannons
Multi-tracker, Disruption Pod, Target Array, Blacksun Filter

[hr]

The basic strategy with this Ork army list is that you have one wave of Ork Nobz and the Warboss come in, and hit hard, and tie up 3+ units in combat. Winning those combats is irrelevant. Getting close and making it a pain to kill them all off.

The Stormboyz are designed to split enemy fire or to take care of that annoying unit the Nobz just can't handle. They serve mainly as tank hunters though.

The second wave of Ork Nob Bikers finish the job as the enemy is weakened by the time they strike. Seems like it works so far; you just can't kill all of those Ork Nobz in one turn, not even with your whole army at your disposal.

DEPLOYMENT
We got a Spearhead Capture and Control. I got first turn and, though I hated every corner, picked the bottom right-hand as it seemed to give me the most options. The Bikes set up accordingly. I'm a bit shaky on what I'm doing, and I kept telling myself, every turn, "I hope I know what I'm doing." And I did know what I was doing.

I was trying to force the Orks to come around that terrain, with the illusion that they could get close, but just not quite close enough. I was trying to get them to turbo-boost if my opponent judged the distance as well as I had.

===============

TURN ONE/TWO - TAU
But it didn't seem to matter. After I loaded up the Fire Warriors in Warfish, I lit up the Orks with fewer than average Markerlights, with only a total of 6. I shot the blast weapons first, and barely pulsed them with some SMS and some burst cannons. Dram'Ka got a lucky kill with his missile pod, (picking up the slack of his twin-plasma bodyguard as usual). I used 4 Seeker Missiles, and reduced their cover save -2, and forgot they had cybork bodies.

I killed a total of 3, but he failed his Leadership and fell back off the table. After that, I moved my forces around a bit to get ready for the second wave.

===============

TURN THREE
Zagstruk blew off course a bit, used the shooting phase to spread out some, and well... we killed them all.

===============

TURN FOUR - TAU

The Nobz and the 'Boss arrive, turbo-boosting into my face. My opponent laughs as he believes he sees what's coming next. He explains that I have no where to run or hide, that I have pushed my forces up too much when I should've spent my time pulling back.

"You are about to witness my Tau strategy," I inform him.

Everyone shot at them. Everyone with rapid fire was in rapid fire range, exactly the way I arranged it. I used the Markerlights I was blessed with to +1 BS to the Honor Guard, +2 BS for the left FWs, -2 cover for my HQ (and for the first time ever, Dram'Ka's bodyguard makes a kill!), -2 to cover, +1 BS for the Vespid. The other FWs, the Stealthsuits, and my two Devilfishes shoot without aid.

Not too much to my surprise, the Painboy is still alive with 1 wound, as are 4 Nobz and the Warboss with 2 wounds. That Waaagh! banner might be useless against Tau, but it sure does leave room for extra wound allocation.

So my opponent believes its all over for me now. His Orks can assault 5 units, and that's what he planned on doing: spreading out, and assaulting both FW units, Warfish, and my Stealthsuits in the middle. He expects to at least kill off or get on the run every unit, and damage the Devilfish. He didn't even expect to win all of the combats, but to stay engaged through my next turn. "It's all over," he stated. "Your Tau are very brave for getting this close, but I'm sorry to say that your strategy hasn't worked."

Then...

I did...

the unthinkable...

This is the Savage Cadre jack@$$. We charged Orks. My Savage Cadre charged Ork Nobz... and a Warboss, on Bikes.

And we almost tied combat. Dram'Ka and his Bodyguard wounded 2 Nobz, and the drones wounded the Painboy. Then I killed the Ork Warboss with the Stealthsuits, for a total of 5 inflicted wounds. He killed off 4 Stealthsuits, the Marker Drone, and a Shield Drone for a total of 6 inflicted wounds. The Stealthsuits failed their Leadership, but I got a re-roll thanks to the Ethereal.

===============

TURN FOUR - ORKS
Straight into the Assault Phase. This time we lost the combat (not as many fists to go in there). I didn't wound a single Ork, and he killed off Dram'Ka's other Shield Drone, both Gun Drones, and both Stealthsuits. Dram'Ka and his bodyguard passed their Leadership, but I re-rolled for the Ethereal, fell back, and Ka-boom! No more Bodyguard. In the name of the Greater Good, he takes an Ork Nob with him with Instant Death as Dram'Ka gets away.

===============

TURN FIVE - TAU
Neither of my Devilfishes got a chance to shoot. The FWs on the left didn't either (pic got it wrong); withholding 30 Str:5 shots from my total shooting. The two Railguns killed a Nob, wounded another, the Markerlights launched the last 2 Seeker Missiles (which failed to kill anyone), Dram'Ka got his shots in, and killed 1, the FWs in the ruins killed the Painboy, the Pathfinders failed miserably on their hitting, but it allowed a +1 BS to the Honor Guard (who killed 1, wounded another), +1 BS for the Vespid (killed another), and I didn't use the last one.

===============

TURN FIVE - ORKS
The Tau consolidated, made sure the Orks on the ground were dead, and took the Objectives.

[hr]
[hr]

POST-GAME CARNAGE REPORT
I hold 0 out of 2 Objectives. Point is mute, I win by default of elimination.

I killed a total of 1851 points.

My opponent killed 347 points (Stealthsuits, 2 Gun Drones, 2 Shield Drones, and the Bodyguard).

That leaves me with 1504 more points on the board than my opponent. This means I probably could've gotten similar results of victory if I were using a 1500 point army (I'd remove every unit that he killed). ... Again.

So there you have it folks. I haven't really hate Nob Bikers, and I still don't. I applied every single tactic and suggestion I made in my Complete Tau Tactica.

Not the all-time glorious victory you were looking for, and I'm sure to get ragged on by Enderwiggin or someone about something, like my opponent was childish, incompetent, or just an out-right idiot, and that my tactics don't really work and that I really don't know what I'm doing, that I just got really, really lucky, and that no statement about getting this solid of a victory means anything if the rolling was in his favor over me, that having even 2 units of foot-slogging Ork Boyz would've meant I probably would've lost horribly, etc., etc.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Y'He Or'es Hunter Cadre vs Nob Biker Army [1850]

Colonel Marksman:
Just wanted to say: Good work!
Impressive win vs the Nob Bikers, and it must have been a relief to have them fall back due to wounds.
Having played vs Tau with my Bikers, I was impressed with the way the Tau are able to really counter the Bikers' advantages (cover save negation with marker lights and S8 to insta-kill), and I must say it took guts to get in their face like that.
Also interesting that he chose to attack in waves, but I'm sure he had a very valid plan and I'm the last to criticize unusual thinking.
Sort of an odd question, but if the Orks were so beat up at this point, why not activate Failsafe with Dram'Ka?

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: Y'He Or'es Hunter Cadre vs Nob Biker Army [1850]

Thanks. I'm very proud of this little Tau force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Sort of an odd question, but if the Orks were so beat up at this point, why not activate Failsafe with Dram'Ka?
He did. Or are you asking, why did I?

Two words: Tau fun. It's the only bit of fun I get out of playing this army list. Everything else is just... so...

well every time I whip out this Cadre, I think of this, and replace Minbari with "Tau" and "Humans" with my opponent's race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNBJ...eature=related

This isn't the only time my cadre has done this:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,90734.0.html

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,90873.0.html

===========A GAME AGAINST A KHORNE ARMY=========

The Chaos Space Marine player did not show up. But a Chaos Marine player did, and he built up a list to 1850 and played against me this night in a Kill Point, Pitched Battle. At first, he wasn't so sure he could win by the end of turn two. That was after I had done a lot (and I mean, a LOT) of whiffing. I also made a mistake shooting anything at the Chaos Obliterators. I should have 100% ignored them in turn 1 and 2 and just try killing off 5 Chaos Space Marines and 10 Possessed instead. Game would've been less bloody for me.

He had Kharne the Betrayer with Khorne Bezerkers in a Land Raider, a Chaos Defiler, a large number of Khorne Bezerkers accompanying Abbadon the Despoiler (less than 20 but more than 10; I think 12), another unit of 5 Khorne Bezerkers, 3 Obliterators, and XX number of Chaos Space Marines (at least 15, one squad of 10, one squad of 5). It was a really good list, but his basic troops have no specialties (though those Obliterators made up for that very well).

He lost the Land Raider turn 1, which completely exploded, killing 2 Marines outside and 3 inside, foot-slogging Kharne and his Bezerkers before his first turn began.

On turn 2, he lost the Chaos Defiler. I had the Vespid Deep Strike behind the Dreadnought, turning it away from the rest of my army as they failed to touch it (ignores shaken results). It got the blood rage thing, and charged them. The Vespid held it up in close combat all the way until Turn 5. An unexpected result, but it turned out as good as what I wanted (not what I hoped for though).
Turn 2 also hurt me because my Savage Cadre, the way they are, allowed them to hold in combat, even a unit of Fire Warriors. This really hurt my game because I couldn't shoot at either unit. It is partially my fault I admit because I picked the wrong targets in my Turn 2.

Turn 3, my opponent is so shook up at what he's witnessing (his veins were showing and he was shaking like a rattlesnake in winter). He asked to have a smoke break. I lost the Fire Warrior, freeing up the Chaos Space Marines. However, I hit hard before that happened.

Fire Warrior: They want blood for their blood god?
Stealthsuit: They can have blood for their blood god!

And thus, Kharne the Betrayer and the rest of his Bezerkers, in all of their glory 3" away from my Stealthsuits and 4" away from my Fire Warriors, are easily destroyed. If he had 5 more Khorne Bezerkers, they wouldn't be there either. The Devilfishes finished off another 5-man Marine squad. Thanks to a railgun's submunition shot, I killed off another 4, and brought the unit down to 2 Bezerkers and Abbadon.

He did exactly as I expected in his turn (assault my HQ), but I forgot that Abbadon's Demon weapon doubled his strength, not +1. Had I thought about that striking in Initiative order, I would've gladly forfeited the fusion blaster and extra plasma rifle shot and Deep Strike further away, to draw Abbadon closer to my army like I continued to intend. But such was not so. Abbadon killed my bodyguard, which meant I lost the Failsafe Detonator, but Dram'Ka survived, taking only 1 wound from the Bezerkers. The Shield Drone killed another Bezerker, and Dram'Ka almost wounded Abbadon. He got Dram'Ka on the Sweeping Advance. This is extremely poor performance by Dram'Ka's standards.
In his turn, Abbadon used the consolidation move and got up to the Sky Ray and blew it up. To my surprise and despite our suggestion, his Marines completely ignored the Pathfinders that were right there and went after Killer. Krak grenades did him in. Elsewhere, Hellfish was destroyed by the Obliterators. He has now killed Dram'Ka, Hellfish, and Lesser Important and will pay in blood for his blood god for the losses.

In my turn 4, only the Stealthsuits failed Morale, but fell back something like 4-5". They were still all in range of the Chaos Marines, and after a hail of shooting, whittled down the squad (they got cover saves from the smoking wreckage). His Obliterators shot at Warfish, but only Immobilize and stun him. The Fire Warriors finish off the remaining Possessed sneaking around a building by, instead of moving backwards like pansies, forward like warriors and rapid fire them to death. Abbadon remains with 1 wound left. The Stealthsuits jump back towards Abbadon.

In his turn 4, Abbadon went on a wild goose chase, and the Defiler whiffed the Vespid. The Obliterators move around a bit and out of LOS from all of my units.

Now in my turn 5, my Stealthsuits moved in for the kill. Watching Abbadon was like watching a starved puppy try to reach a dog bone held on a string onto a red target in a firing range.
The Chaos Space Marines, 6 left now, tried to shoot upon the Stealthsuits have have been the constant thorn in his side, and are successful at killing the marker drone (I chose it that way), and a stealthsuit. His Dreadnought finishes off the final Vespid model, turns around and consolidates a full 6" towards my battle lines.

There is a turn 6, and the Stealthsuits jump closer to the Chaos Marines. Invincible fails to do damage on the Dreadnought (rolled a 1 on the penetration, he didn't miss). They proved extremely resilient as they take every armor save by great surprise to the both of us, but they are charged by the Stealthsuits. He kills 1 more suit before I pummeled his defiled Chaos butt into the ground. I consolidated behind Killer's wreckage.

In his turn 6, he achieved a shaken result on Invincible. The Obliterators have slowly made their way back and shoot at the Stealthsuits, but they make every save.

On turn seven, the Obliterators became easy pickings for the Stealthsuits and Invincible, unable to shoot any weapons, hides behind the hill. My opponent moved closer and fails to do any damage, Invincible is well again, but the end of the game had come.

It turned out to be a tie with 11 kill points on each side. In Victory Points, I had 491 points left out of 1850, having lost 1359 points. Not a single unit in his army made up for their point cost except that one Chaos Marine squad and possibly the Obliterators.

He had 125 points left out of 1850, having lost 1725 points (compared to my 1359). Once again, had there been another turn, I would win by wipe out as it is almost always is with my Tau. Overall, it was a fairly fun game as I dealt with stress by cracking jokes and making sound effects with my mouth. I engaged in a lot of good conversation all day with all the players in the store. As I talked about my Y'he Or'es army list, you could see the fiery passion in every player's eyes filled with the desire of testing such a powerful Tau army against their army. But I tried passing up the offers for a game in favor of waiting for my opponent.

(And no, I don't think he chickened out.)

I'm Tau-ed out for now. My Witch Hunters are fun to use with the reactions of my opponents, but they're also an aggressive, very powerful army. But other than that, my Tau cadre is taking a vacation and will be temporarily mothballed. If that CSM player shows up, he'll probably prefer to use his Black Templar he's building up, but I'll gladly do that (if any of you remember the bat rep I did when I last played against Black Templar).

If Eldrad rears his ugly head around or a Phoenix Lord lifts so much as a pinky toe in my cousin's next army, the Savage Cadre and their Y'he Or'es variation will respond.

=============CONCLUSION=============
Should the Tau community ever unravel what's underneath this cloak I'm hiding, may the dice gods forever have mercy upon all other opponents. I remain elusive and secretive because of the sacred Rule #0. Two years ago, I told people that Rule #0 was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard of. How could you play the game and not have fun? It was this concept and the Y'he Or'es that forever changed my mind.

Not a single opponent that played against this list had a whole lot of fun, and generally speaking, I didn't either. Every 1 in 10 words became a curse word, and that's playing fairly while allowing my opponents to back-track on mistakes.

[hr]
[hr]

So far, this army list has failed to completely or nearly wipe out the opponent's army list only on 2 or 3 occasions.

Wins: 14 (against every army except Chaos Daemons).
Ties: 1
Losses: 1 (2 kill points difference with every Tyranid in my deployment zone)

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Y'He Or'es Hunter Cadre vs Nob Biker Army [1850] 12.07.09

CM:
Oh you had to bring B5 into this didn't you?
Londo's one of my favorites from the series, and I think I may hear his voice when thinking of Dram'Ka.
Again, great fight and please keep them coming

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote