Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs. Tau 1000 point "paintball" match 12/2/09
Old 03 Dec 2009, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau vs. Tau 1000 point "paintball" match 12/2/09

This is gonna be a pretty quick and dirty report.

Played Tau vs Tau last night. Someone called it a 'paintball' match...

My (rough) list:
HQ
Tau commander battlesuit with TL flamer, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker
Tau bodyguard battlesuit with TL flamer, Burst Cannon, Multi-tracker

Eilte:
Elite with Fusion gun, Plasma gun, multi-tracker
6x stealthsuit, +BS. 2x with fusion gun, 1x marker drone

Troops:
12x firewarriors with pulse rifles, markerlight and multi-tracker
12x firewarriors with pulse rifles, markerlight and multi-tracker
12x kroot

Fast:
8x Pathfinders with devilfish (with no upgrades)

His list:
HQ
Battlesuit commander with Twinlinked missilepod and marker drone

Troop
7x FW with devilfish and a raft of upgrades
7x FW

Fast
8x pathfinders with devilfish and a raft of upgrades

Heavy
2x Hammerheads with railguns

Mission Annihilate
Deploy standard 12" table edges

He deployed across the center of his edge, firewarriors hiding behind the devilfish, railheads to the right of them and the pathfinders to the right of them in a forest.
Commander hung out between the two devilfish on the left.

I deployed my pathfinders in the center in some terrain planning on a scout move, and behind them were my two firewarrior squads.
devilfish on my right, the kroot behind them, and the elite battlesuit in the midst of that. Stealth suits infiltrated on the far right near the enemy pathfinders.
my commander & retinue would deepstrike.

turn one
Top of: he tries to marker the stealth suits and can't see them. then one of his railhead can't see them either, then the other railhead missed my elite suit. nothing else is in range. Overall, terrible round for him.

Bottom of: My stealth suits advance, so do my scouts, 1 squad of firewarriors, my kroot load up into the devilfish, in fact, almost everything moves up. My shooting is a bit better, I kill several of the pathfinders, one squad of firewarriors kills one while the stealth suits account for 3.

turn two
Top of: he stays put and markers the stealth suits, this time getting them. his shooting kills 1 suit, and stuns my devilfish.

Bottom of: HQ comes in to land next to the left most firewarrior squad. he scatters backwards out of range of the flamer. I decide to re-roll, and this time he scatters onto the firewarriors he was going to kill and the unit is lost. kroot unload and advance on the pathfinders. the other firewarrior squad advances while the first one stays put. I kill the pathfinders and put a wound on the commander.

turn three
Top of: He starts pulling back at this point, getting his commander out of pulserifle range. A little more shooting and I lose another stealth suit. most of the kroot squad is eliminated by his shooting. he lays into one of the firewarrior squad, kills a couple.

Bottom of:
I advance again, trying desperately to catch up to the fleeing units. I load the firewarriors into the now unshaken devilfish so I can reposition. By now I'm about 1/2 way across the table and sweeping left. I take out the rightmost railhead with a well-placed fusion gun.

--at this point I'm going to cut it off, as the rest of the game consists of me charging after him, and him running from me with mounted units. My devilfish dies on the top of 5 and the unmounted firewarriors are finished off by SMS and other pot-shots. I never successfully kill the commander, and in fact don't kill another whole unit.

Game ends on turn 5,
he wins 4kp vs 2kp.

I had made a number of minor mistakes throughout the game:
1. on annihilate, with him spread out such as he was, I could have had the kroot outflank and go after either the pathfinders or the leftmost firewarriors, while the commander went after the other side.
2. I forgot to take the scout move on the pathfinders at the beginning, losing an entire round of markerlighting.
3. against a mobile army, I should probably have put the suits in the middle board cover, in front of the pathfinders, instead of trying to sweep with them like I would with Hgaunts or something.
4. I need to know the tau list better, so I can take better advantage of weapons/markerlight/cover save/armor save combinations.
5. I really really really should have taken the upgrades on the devilfish, as it would have likely saved or mitigated some of the hits it took.
6. of course the worst part was watching my commander scatter into the troops. that alone probably lost me the game. I should have been more patient, taken the first scatter and used him next round. - I would have been able to at least use the burstcannons on the suits, possibly taking out a devilfish or some firewarriors.
7. I totally forgot to use the firewarrior's markerlights. Considering how aggressive I was with them, I might want to remove the markerlights all together.

All in all it was a great game, and I learned quite a bit from it.

I'm looking forward to the battleforce tournament this weekend.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Tau vs. Tau 1000 point "paintball" match 12/2/09

did you change rules for weapons that could be taken? because you have 3 fusion blasters on yours XV25s and you may only have 1 per 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2009, 04:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
did you change rules for weapons that could be taken? because you have 3 fusion blasters on yours XV25s and you may only have 1 per 3.
I'm sorry I was not clear with my army list (and incorrect anyway)
it was actually 6x stealthsuits, 2 armed with fusion.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 13:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

fair enough, my apologies.

6 man stealth team always does wonders for me. detsroys tanks and guns down hordes at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote