Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the great wolf and the bloody angel-batrep with pics 11/28/09
Old 30 Nov 2009, 03:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default the great wolf and the bloody angel-batrep with pics 11/28/09

I have had a love for the adeptus mechanicus mini's and fluff for a while, unfortunately outside BFG they do not have an actual playable faction.

So about a year ago or so i threw together a counts as adeptus mechanicus force using the deathwing army template as a basis of construction.
i was already a DW player and i also knew i wouldn't have to spend a ton of money to build up a small DW sized force. as most people know the DA codex is pretty horrid by comparison to what has happened to most other marine dex's that have been updated in terms of points costs and rules updates.

with the release of the new SW codex i decided to try out a new list using the same basic models and same sized armies to see how it faired.

i will preface this first by saying this is not a power build, i was attempting to use only the models i already have. i have already seen the 7 drop pod 31 terminator w/combi melta +logan and a dev squad build idea.

i decided to go all elite-this is logan grimnars command section on the battlefield, only the best units and the best equipment.

the list-
HQ-
.logan grimnar
.njal stormcaller
TROOPS
(wolf guard)
.X5 terminators, X4 combi-melta/bolters, X4 frost blades, X1 cyclone missiel launcher, arjack rockfist upgrade(he is logans champion afterall) in a drop pod
.X5 terminators, X5 combii-melta/bolters, X5 frost blades, X1 cyclone missie launcher. (logans unit)
.X5 terminators, X5 combii-melta/bolters, X4 frost blades, X1 cyclone missie launcher with chainfist.(najal's unit)
ELITES
.venerable dread with multi-melta, DCCW/heavy flamer, extra armor, wolf talisman, wolf necklace, drop pod.
.venerable dread with multi-melta, DCCW/heavy flamer, extra armor, wolf talisman, wolf necklace, drop pod.

i actually got 3 games in with it but i only took pictures of this one.

My opponant this game is this nicely progressing blood angels army( he has lots of time to paint).

His list-
HQ
.terminator chaplain(he is going back to his regular combi-melta/melta bomb chaplain after this test run really didn't help him any)
.corbulo
TROOPS
.assault squad X10, fist in rhino
.assault squad X10, fist in rhino
.X10 tac squad with fist, melta gun, las cannon, las razorback
Elite-
death company X10
.venerable death company furioso dreadnough, extra armor in drop pod.
.venerable death company furioso dreadnough, extra armor in drop pod.
HEAVY-
land raider crusader, extra armor

Game-
2,000 points
table quarters(spearhead)
sieze ground-one objective in each deployment zone.

I won turn 1

Turn 1
I decided to roadblock him dropping both dreads in on him. one went after his raider the other took on a rhino. i managed to pop the rhino and pin the assault squad inside, the other dread managed to only stunn his raider i parked njal on my objective and moved up logan for some tank hunting action.

his raider rumbled past me while his tacs, razorback went after 1 of my dreads managing an immobilised result, the other rhino tried to roll away but immobilised itself on terrain.

Turn 2
arjack stays on the battle barge, logan decides not to get assaulted by the land raiders contents and moves back and tries to tank hunter it. the mobile dread assaults the pinned tactical squad where he stays fo rthe next few turns. both he and naja's squad fire on the raider but fail to hurt it.
then a funny thing happens, i remember njals random weather effects. the land raider is in range for the #6 on the cart and take 3 S9 hits 2 of which pen getting me a single destroyed result, death company is walking.

his turn 2
his rhino tries and fails to self repair, he fires alot on my immobile dread. but mises or fails to pen. his DC with attached HQs move forward, run. his first furisos arrives and fires on najal's unit. no effect

Turn 3
arjack arrives right on time, on the other side of the DC, logan moves his unit up to pincer them. after a fulisade of melta fire(and a thrown hammer) only the chaplain and corbulo survive. i melt oneof his tac squad guys holding his objective.

najal seperates himself from the squad he is with so they can move up and melta/assault the furisos if neccisary, melta's damage it but fail to kill it. najal's random weather effect goes off-7 chain lightning

It hits the dread, the drop pod and the chaplain....and kills all three of them.

Only corbulo survies to face logans axe. the battle is brief and one sided.

His turn 3
he fires on the immobile dread again, rolling bad on the hit/pen rolls and stunns it. his other furioso drops and gets a melta shot off at njal while he is seperated, i fail my save and njal goes down, but he already did his job in spades. the other dread continues to chew through his units, he runs and i catch him.

Turn 4
njals squad fires into the furisos but fail to stop it, while logan and arjacks unnits move up to assist the dreads

his turn 4
He decides to castle up and hope for the best with the furioso. moving his combat squaded tac unit in the razorback back to get an additional shot on the immobile dread. he misses with every shot. his assault squads still hiding in the rhino get out and assist the other assault squad onthe verge of being overrun. he finally rips off the DCCW. his furioso charges njal's squad but i make my invuls and do some damage to his dread with the chainfist

Turn 5
logan moves up and with the combined fire of the immobile dreads flamer drops the tac squad with the melta. arjac moves up the backside but rolls a 1 on his squads run roll. i manage to take out the last of the oriiginal tac squad but am now tied up with a second and no DCCW on the other venerable. i make 2 more invul saves fighting his furioso and do more damage to it. re-rolls keep it alive again.

His turn 5
he fires into the immbile dread again, it survives another round, combat with the armless dread and the tac squad goes on. his furiosos finally kills 2 terminators but the chainfist finally gets him and the re-rolls don't save him this time.

Game goes to turn 6

Turn 6.
immobile dread flames the razorback to no effect. arjack's unit moves up, the horrible run roll has put him out of range to contest this turn so he fires on the tacticals in the building with hopes to make them run. the drop pods join thier fire, as does logans unit that has moved up. he looses a couple guys but stays.

his turn 6
His lone drop pod gets lucky and drops a terminator in njals squad, but they make LD and stick aorund. his tacticals shoot at logans unit a bit but do nothing. the dread and the assault squad continue to beat on each other.

dice rolls and game ends-tie!

The losses-
my dead pile
njal, 3 terminators and 2 dread weapons arms.

His dead pile
10 assault marines, 5 tactical marines, 10 DC marines, chaplain, corbulo, rhino, 2 dreads and a drop pod.

It was alot of fun to try this list out, it did far better than the DW build ever has. and njals weather effects make him a potent force even if he casts no offensive powers himself. had this game gone to turn 7 i would have taken his objective away from him.
Old 02 Dec 2009, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: the great wolf and the bloody angel-batrep with pics 11/28/09

In turn 2 you got a 6 on the chart? How did you manage that since its turn + d3
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2009, 10:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by space wolf bob
In turn 2 you got a 6 on the chart? How did you manage that since its turn + d3
i think we were on turn 3 actually, i was doing this batrep a day later from memory. all i know is it worked wonderfully.

Old 06 Dec 2009, 04:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Interesting report.

I do have to admit however, I've never seen "missile" spelled wrong three times in the same post before. And I do hope you mean turn 3 for njal's power...
VV1LD is offline   Reply With Quote