Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WAAAAGH Grubbynutz Takes on Daemons (11-21-2009, 1750 RTT Game 1)
Old 23 Nov 2009, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default WAAAAGH Grubbynutz Takes on Daemons (11-21-2009, 1750 RTT Game 1)

Over the weekend, I had the privilege of attending a tournament at The Game Castle in Londonderry, NH. They have absolutely beautiful tables and friendly players. Well worth the trip from almost anywhere in New England (and its centrally located for most of us!).

Arriving in the morning in the company of my fellow northerners (coming from the chaos-wasteish hinterlands of Vermont and New Hampshire), we found a buzzing store. Unfortunately not everyone was there to play in the 40k tourney, as there was a variety of other gaming going on at the same time. Still, there was a good turnout of around 20 40kers.

Here's the list I took:

WAAAAAGGGHH Grubbynutz
1750 Points

Warboss Grubbynutz
Power klaw, bosspole, cybork body, attack squig
Big Mek Klickinklak
Kustom force field
8 Lootaz
Deffguns
8 Nobz
1 Powerklaw and slugga, 3 big choppas and sluggas, 2 choppas and sluggas, 1 waagh banner, choppa and slugga, 1 painboy
Battlewagon
Armor plates, reinforced ram, red paint job, big shoota
30 Slugga Boyz
Nob with powerklaw and bosspole
30 Slugga Boyz
30 Slugga Boyz
1 Deffkopta “The Dreaded Black Baron”
Buzzsaw, twin linked rokkitz
3 Killa Kanz
Rokkitz
3 Killa Kanz
Rokkitz

Pretty standard for me. Even though I've been playing orks for less than a year, I've become very familiar with the Greenskins and have a pretty good idea of what is effective (and fun!) in the codex. This list was the product of some head-scratching over the previous few days, but I was pretty happy with it. It has a good mix of hard hitting speed and resiliency, with just enough ranged firepower to cover my advance. There are a few weaknesses, as will become apparent to you during the course of my reports.

The missions were straight out of the book, which is infinitely superior to the odd and random b.s. that marked the old rogue trader system (Battle in the Eye of Terror being a good example of a game that should never be use to decide a competitive tournament). Wins are 16 points, draws are 12 and losses 8. 1 bonus point was given for each of the following: 1) killing your opponent's highest point HQ, 2) killing his highest point unit and 3) having a scoring unit in your opponent's deployment zone at the end of the game.

My first opponent of the day was Shannon. He was a local player with a beautifully painted Daemon army. Here was his list (roughly):

Bloodthirster
Herald of Khorne on Chariot
Herald of Khorne on foot
8 Bloodletters (fury of khorne, icon)
14 Plaguebearers (noxious touch, icon)
14 Plaguebearers (noxious touch)
Daemon Prince (Mark of Khorne, Wings, Ironhide, unholy might)
Daemon Prince (Mark of Slaanesh, wings, ironhide, unholy might, various nasty slanneshi upgrades)
Soul Grinder

So a pretty tough daemon list. Those monsters would combine with the toughness of the plaguebearers to produce a very nice synergy. I'm always surprised at the lack of Fateweaver in Daemon lists. That big bird is just awesome.

The mission was Annhilation on Dawn of War Deployment. There are few armies at this point level that have fewer kill points than me, but Shannon's daemonic host is one of them. He won the roll for first turn and decided to cede it to me (no surprise).

“We'ze back, Klicky!” chortled the massive warboss as he leered out of his battlewagon, drinking in the wasted terrain of this strange world. “No more running errands for zogging Ghaz! No more guardin' power stayshuns and whatnot!”

“Yes boss, but-” ventured Klickinklak as he jogged alongside the wagon. The big mek was... well... big for an ork, (having outlived many of his less successful mek comrades by being utterly indispensable to his Goffik Warboss) but he was dwarfed by Warboss Grubbynutz. Snorting, the Warboss cut him off.

“But nuffin' Klicky! We'ze gonna stomp all da humies on dis world!”

“But dat's da ting, boss-” Klickinklak tried again, huffing noticeably as the battlewagon picked up speed.

“By Gork we're gonna do it. And once I bring da biggest loot back I'ze gonna be a Warlord even if I has to slap Ghazzy til he gives me da title!” Abruptly he stopped and gazed up at the sky. It was a swirling mass of red and he could see the faces of horned creatures uglier than a strangler squig reflected in the clouds.

“Klicky, we'ze not hear to fight 'umies. Is we?” Grubbynutz asked flatly, only the rapid flexing and unflexing of his powerklaw betraying the rage building within him.

“No boss, dat's what I was trying to say. Ghaz sent us to a world where da warp boyz live! Dere's no umies 'ere at all. No loot to steal! Just a bunch of zogging warp boyz who just fade after ya krump 'em!”

Grubbynutz's howled curses of Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka were lost in the braying of brazen trumpets as the Daemons began to manifest.

Deployment:
I obligingly plopped 60 orks and a big mek down on the board. Such formations are large enough to hopefully force the daemon player to drop more conservatively than he otherwise might. Predictably, the Daemons do not try and seize the initiative. After deployment, the board looks like this:

Ork Turn 1:

The rest of the horde roars onto the board. The lootaz get a bit tripped up trying to climb the hill in my deployment zone and their run is equally disheartening, leaving them well below the crest and meaning that I'll have to move again next turn. My kanz and nobz come on centrally, trying to position themselves to react either way. The squad with the big mek spreads itself out to advance while leaving the mek farther back to cover the kanz and battlewagon with his force field. The last thing I want is some daemonic punk landing and blowing up my battlewagon with a rear armor shot.

Daemon Turn 1:

He rolls for and gets his chosen wave, which consists of the khornate prince, the bloodthirster, the herald on a chariot, the bloodletters and the soul grinder. He deep strikes and runs his khornate forces to make a nice little wall of red in the middle of the board. The soulgrinder scatters back, almost off the board (but not quite, dangit!). The soulgrinder fires a phlegm shot and his harvester at the advancing ork squad and kills 4.

Ork Turn 2:

The dreaded black baron arrives from reserves on the left hand side of the table. This is far far away from the Daemons, so he turbo-boosts his way into the center of the board. Seeing where the daemons have decided to make their stand, I begin aligning my units to attack. The forward righthand slugga squad surges forward to engage the daemon prince and chariot, who are standing in the front rank of the daemonic army, while the other two slugga squads move and run to get towards the fight. The lefthand sluggaz are tripped up terribly running through the ruins and I realize it will be several turns before they come into play. My nob wagon positions itself behind a wall to support the assault of the forward sluggaz. Shooting is good as well, as one squadron of kanz fires rokkitz into the blood thirster and does it one wound. Hurray!

Close combat sees the charging sluggaz lose five models to the combined attacks of the khornate prince and herald (pretty bad performance by the daemons) and do two wounds to the prince and three to the chariot. WAAAAAGGGH!!! Tied combat!

Daemon Turn 2

Rolling for reserves, he only gets a single squad of plague bearers. He puts them well behind his lines off the icon of the bloodletters. He then proceeds to move his bloodthirster and bloodletters to engage the sluggaz. The soul grinder fires at my other right hand sluggaz and mows down 6 between the phlegm cannon and its harvester. In combat, the slugga boyz are predictably beaten and run down, but not before they do a wound more to the Daemon prince and the chariot, leaving each at 1 wound! After butchering the sluggaz, the bloodthirster consolidates forward towards my lines, while the daemon prince moves to get cover from the lootaz behind the ruin. The herald and bloodletters consolidate poorly and are only able to edge back from the oncoming orks.

Kill point tally: Daemons: 1, Orks: 0

Ork Turn 3:

Time to strike, I think. My slugga mob on the right trips over the walls but nevertheless gets into charge range of the thirster. The nobz roar forward and unload in the middle of the khorne lines, positioning themselves to charge the bloodthirster, the herald, the bloodletters or all of the above. The lefthand sluggaz trip through the ruins again, going around a total of 3 inches between their run and their movement.

The Black Baron zooms forward to shoot the daemon prince, missing miserably. The lootaz, unphased by the ruin between themselves and said prince, finish him off with a hail of deffgun fire, sending the bloodsoaked monster back to the warp. Both kan squadrons, having moved up to get range and LOS, unleash their rokkits on the bloodthirster and kill him! Woot! Go grotz! (To be fair, my opponent did not make a SINGLE save with his bloodthirster). Deciding that the only way I'll be able to bring my sluggaz forward to help the nobz deal with the herald and the 'letters is to call the waaaagh, I do so. Unfortunately, the sluggaz on the right hand side roll a one and are well out of charge range of the bloodletters. Oh well.

Fortunately, the Nobz and Warboss prove up to the task and rip the khornate daemons apart for the loss of two nobz and a few wounds here and there. The area to the right of the ruin is turning into a huge graveyard for various troops. Fitting that it is the final resting place of most of the khornate contingent of the daemonic host. The nobz consolidate backwards to prevent a charge from the soulgrinder.

Kill point Tally: Daemons 1, Orks 4

Daemon Turn 3

In his turn, none of his reserves show up. Obviously, sending so many daemons back to the warp in one turn has reversed the polarity and made it difficult for daemons to manifest (or my opponent was having atrocious luck). The plaguebearers edge forward. In shooting the soul grinder lands a phlegm shot right on my nobz. I lose 3 to insta-kill and a wound off grubbynutz (yay for toughness five!). This leaves grubbynutz, a big choppa nob, a regular choppa nob, and Doctor McOrky, the painboy left alive. The nobz pass their leadership test. He can't quite make charge range with his plaguebearers so we go on to turn 4.

Ork Turn 4:

Everything that can moves up and fires on the plaguebearers. Between the kanz, the lootaz and some stray slugga shots, I manage to drop several with shooting. The baron tries his luck against the soulgrinder with rokkitz. He hits and glances, but only stuns the massive walker, which is duly ignored. The nobz charge the plaguebearers and rip into them. But a combination of the nurgle daemon's toughness and the nobz being reduced to three models plus Grubbynutz means that I'm not quite able to wipe out the nurgle daemons. Several remain, including the all-important icon bearer.

Daemon Turn 4:

Arriving in off the doomed plague bearers icon, the remaining daemons arrive. They form up in front of the soulgrinder, with the Slaaneshi Prince out front standing shoulder to shoulder with the khornate herald. The plaguebearers lurk behind the champions of the other gods, ready to unleash their weeping blades on any orks that get too close. In shooting they do some running to reposition and the soulgrinder fires again, blasting several orks from the righthand slugga squad with its phlegm and harvester.

In combat the first plaguebearer squad is finished off.

Kill points: Daemons 1, Orks 5

Ork Turn 5:

Not relishing the thought of certain death at the hands of the soul grinder, Grubbynutz and his nobz prepare to charge the plaguebearers. Both slugga mobz continue to converge. The righthand one will be in charge range this turn. A hail of rokkit, loota and big shoota (from the battlewagon) fire conspire to slay the daemon prince, while sluggaz from the advancing mob are plenty to kill the herald (who, though an independent character, cannot join the plaguebearers since they belong to a different god). In combat, Grubbynutz and friends massacre the plaguebearers with a combination of amazing luck on my side (Grubbynutz hit and wounded with all his attacks and the daemon player failed all his saves) and the worst saves in the world on his side (he lost by 9, and had to make 5 of them to survive – he failed 7, even with feel no pain).

Kill point tally: Daemons: 1, Orks, 8

Daemon Turn 5:

At this point I think Shannon realized that he had lost (having a single soulgrinder against almost my entire army), but he is determined to try and salvage some battle points. With this in mind he shoots and charges the nobz. The shot goes wide, but in combat the soul grinder neatly snips Grubbynutz apart. Losing combat, the nobz flee the scene, never to return. This nets Shannon +1 point for killing my highest point HQ and +1 point for killing my highest point unit

Kill point tally: Daemons: 3, Orks: 8

We roll and the game continues.

Ork Turn 6:

My after some rokkit fire from the kanz immobilize the 'grinder, the orkish mob nearest charges it. The nob unfortunately whiffs big time. In response the soul grinder crushes a few orks. A few more die from fearless wounds.

Daemon Turn 6:

In combat, the nob once again whiffs. However, he is matched by the soulgrinder, which misses or fails to wound with its attacks as well.

We do get a second turn but it is similarly uninspiring. I think I manage to pull off a weapon and he manages to kill a few more orks.

Regardless, the game ends with an orks victory. I fulfill all the bonus points and thus get a 19 to 10 victory over my opponent.

Kill points
Orks: 8 (2 Daemon Princes, 2 plaguebearer squads, bloodthirster, 2 khornate heralds, bloodletter squad)
Daemons: 3 (slugga boy squad, nob squad, warboss)

Klickinklak gazed contentedly at the chained soulgrinder. The thing had killed almost twenty orks before the nobz had been able to snip its claws and legs off. But he had given them strict orders not to kill it. He knew Grubbynutz would never allow such a thing, but Grubbynutz was currently being sewn and welded back together by a combined team of painboyz and meks.

The Soulgrinder roared as it thrashed against its bonds. But it was helpless. Klickinklak knew he had only a matter of hours before the thing faded back into the warp, but he was determined to use those hours to learn and take everything he could from the captured beast. Firing up a burna and setting it to "kut", he approached the chained daemon's hull.

"Now den, let's see what kind of engine you'ze hiding under all dat metal."

Postmortem:

I think my opponents luck really cost him in this game. Would I have lost if he had been able to make a few saves with his bloodthirster or his plaguebearers? Maybe, maybe not, but it would have been a lot harder and closer of a game. His strategy of refusing a flank effectively put one slugga boy squad out of the action for the entire game, which was wise, but he was punished mercilessly with my shooting, which compounded with his bad luck was enough to seal his fate. I am so happy I brought my lootaz to this battle. They acquitted themselves well.

The stars of the game for me have to be the little grot pilots of my two kan squadrons. Not many grotz can say they sent a bloodthirster back to the warp.

Stay tuned for report #2, in which my orks run afoul of the dreaded Space Wolves and the feared Njal Stormcaller.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: WAAAAGH Grubbynutz Takes on Daemons (11-21-2009, 1750 RTT Game 1)

Droofus:
First of all, great fluff and great post!

I must admit, I have heavily edited this post, as it started with humorously chiding you for taking such a merciless stance against a brave lady who would indulge herself in fighting against a rapscalious bunch of hair-filled 40k players in the near-dead of winter!

And that's when I re-read the post and noticed the pronoun you were using in discussing "Shannon."

Whoops. <cue BigToof quickly editing post>

A great fight. Just had one somewhat like it against Daemons, and I'm glad to see that sometimes the Khorne luck isn't as good.
I'm a bit jealous you were able to move around packs of 30 Boyz like that. That is a skill to be valued, no joke.
Also pleased to see that the six Rokkit Kans are paying off. If I could make an investment, it would be in more Kans...

Silly question: Why no Deffrolla on the Wagon? I usually use the Deffrolla quite often against Walkers (especially Soul Grinders), and it works pretty well. It would also help to bunch up the Plaguebearers while negating their FNP! (Just suggestions )

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 03:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I must admit, I have heavily edited this post, as it started with humorously chiding you for taking such a merciless stance against a brave lady who would indulge herself in fighting against a rapscalious bunch of hair-filled 40k players in the near-dead of winter!

And that's when I re-read the post and noticed the pronoun you were using in discussing "Shannon."

Whoops. <cue BigToof quickly editing post>

LOL. Yeah, this Shannon was indeed a man (and a gentleman, I've never seen anyone take such horrible luck in stride). There were a few women in and out of the store all day and they were much ogled. I weep for our hobby sometimes.

Quote:
I'm a bit jealous you were able to move around packs of 30 Boyz like that. That is a skill to be valued, no joke.
I'm in possession of something you may not have, but it's not skill...

I present the Gale Force Nine Tac Template (It has four sides: a 6", a 2", a 1" and a 4") - savior of my sanity and the principle reason that I can actually finish my tournament games on time. And no, I don't get paid by Gale Force Nine - though I'd be willing to take this thing on the road if they asked. It's that useful.

Quote:
Silly question: Why no Deffrolla on the Wagon? I usually use the Deffrolla quite often against Walkers (especially Soul Grinders), and it works pretty well. It would also help to bunch up the Plaguebearers while negating their FNP! (Just suggestions )
Not a silly question at all. I've often asked myself why, for 15 points more do I not put one of my wife's hair applicances on the front of the bosswagon? I'm just lazy, I suppose. I built the wagons (both of them) in a hurry and didn't leave myself time to convert. I think if I ever got another wagon it would probably get a deffrolla. It just looks like too much fun.

Just in case anyone was curious what Grubbynutz looks like here he is:

That's a Hands of Vengeance Space Marine that he's eviscerating, by the way.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Droofus:
Oh, a tool! That's the secret to your skills Well, I'll have to look into it now. Soon I'll be whipping around great mobz as well!
Great Job on Grubbynutz, and re: the HoV SM... ow. I guess he got on the Warboss' bad side.
He doesn't represent anyone's army I hope
Especially like the horns, they give a surprising amount of character.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 10:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nicely done, I always like to see Daemons crumped by Orks. One of my good friends plays Daemons and I don't think they've ever beaten the Wamp Gataz. That guy did have some bad luck though with those reserve rolls and saves. My friend usually does really well with saves, but never gets his preferred half.

I'm going to try out a pair of rokkitkans at a tournament later today. I'm not giving up on my zookakans though, as I'll be bringing two of them as well. I was short on anti-tank and TLBS 3 rokkits should help.

Next time that place has a tournament you should post something in the regional boards. Its only about 1.5 hours from my house, and if it was a whole day thing, and I had the day off I'd make the drive. The place I usually play tournaments at is in Westborough Mass. Funny how many Ork players live in NE huh? Go Pats!!!
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Great Job on Grubbynutz, and re: the HoV SM... ow. I guess he got on the Warboss' bad side.
He doesn't represent anyone's army I hope
Especially like the horns, they give a surprising amount of character.
Thanks! I wanted to make him a little different than Zanzag (which is obviously the basis for the model). My greenstuff skills are paltry at best, but it serves the purpose for an ork helmet (I.E. an ork helmet would likely look lumpy and beat up - orks: the refuge for novice modellers since forever!) .

The HoV does indeed represent my main opponent. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Nicely done, I always like to see Daemons crumped by Orks. One of my good friends plays Daemons and I don't think they've ever beaten the Wamp Gataz. That guy did have some bad luck though with those reserve rolls and saves. My friend usually does really well with saves, but never gets his preferred half.
Yeah, I like stomping daemons too, though I usually only get to beat up the pink variety. As you alluded to, a LOT of how a daemon army performs comes down to luck on the reserve rolls. That's why I think they're a hard to use tourney list unless you're going Fatecrusher.

Quote:
I'm going to try out a pair of rokkitkans at a tournament later today. I'm not giving up on my zookakans though, as I'll be bringing two of them as well. I was short on anti-tank and TLBS 3 rokkits should help.
Good luck! My rokkit kanz did very well for me in this tournament. Not to foreshadow too much, but don't be afraid to fire them at armor 13. 5 and 6s happen.

Quote:
Next time that place has a tournament you should post something in the regional boards. Its only about 1.5 hours from my house, and if it was a whole day thing, and I had the day off I'd make the drive. The place I usually play tournaments at is in Westborough Mass. Funny how many Ork players live in NE huh? Go Pats!!!
Saturday 12/12, they're doing a 2000 pointer at Game Castle. You should totally come and check it out. I'll be there!

Go Pats!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I actually have the 12th off from work, and my wife seems to be ok with it. I'll have to check and see if I have a track meet that day too. Post the details in the regional board, time/points/cost, and I'll see if I can get Nez and some other TO guys to come. Would be nice if Bigtoof and Thor made it too.

What is their policy on scratchbuilds, WIP builds, painting, and proxies? As you know my force isn't really a GW one.

Edit: Guess I can't come. My buddy is having a birthday party for his daughter that day. Maybe next time. Get Thor and Bigtoof to go though.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Damn. Sorry to hear that, Scoutfox.

BigToof, Thor? Care to make a roadtrip to Londonderry, NH on the twelfth?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 18:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

*Ahem* If I recall correctly, your Boyz Nobs had their claws set to 11 in that last game, and I believe there was a mention of Loota's with fertilizer on their balls because they passed 2 LD tests in a row they should have failed horrificly. You will feel the wrath of the pink Daemons.

Please avoid pink. Pink is unreadable and give me a massive headache.
Boneguard
Jester, The Honorificless is offline   Reply With Quote