Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My orks completly toasted by a wall of yellow marines
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default My orks completly toasted by a wall of yellow marines

Today i played a 1500pt game against an imperial fist army. He had so many more models in his army than any other marineplayer i have ever seen. And i realized why - NO terminators.

Our armies were roughly as follows.

Orks 1500pts
warboss and 9 nobz (painboy, heavy armour) in a trukk
30 boyz (slugga) including 3 big shootas, and nob
10 boyz (shoota) including 1 rokkit and nob
10 boyz (shoota)
3 deffkoptas with rokkits, 1 with buzz saw
battlewagon with kilkannon and big shoota

His 1500pts
6 man command team
2x 10 man tactical squads
2x 5 man tactical squads
5 man devastator squad with 4 rockets
whirlwind
ironclad dreadnaught
10 man scout team with pistols
5 man scout team with snipers
techmarine and a hellfire cannon?(not sure on the exact name of it - but it was annoying for my boyz)

We were playing objectives, and he had about 25 tactical marines, ironclad and command squad in a wall like formation. These CHARGED into my nobz(in turn 2), made them fall back then sweeped them in advance. The dev squad killed battlewagon turn 1, and trukk turn 2 (Then charged in with his marines). my kommandos outflanked and defeated his scouts, but were killed by hellfire cannon next turn (all 11 models) I managed to take out whirlwind in turn 4, but then had only 6 boyz left in the whole board, before he continued to finish me off in his turn 4.

At the end of the game he had 20 models still on the table, and after turn2 he was outnumbering me. Not what an ork player wants against marines...

So my point is - marines can easily match manpower if they dont take termies or land raiders - if they play their points smart you cant run a default marine list. and i know that now.

Anyone have anything to add/ask?

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 16:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: My orks completly toasted by a wall of yellow marines

Your problem was not getting the charge. I've played more than enough games against orks to know that that alone will decide the victor when you're facing marines. Get used to judging distances and make sure to sit just outside of 12" the turn before you charge. The difference in kills is huge.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 16:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

crazy is right. Letting yourself get charged never bodes well. Not only are you striking 2nd to the Marines but you have less attacks, obviously, but more importantly you're only at S3 and need 5's to wound them back. It's a dance of sorts to set yourself for the charge, you really have to plan a turn or two ahead for being able to do it and not get charged yourself. If you really need to tie up a unit and aren't sure you're going to make it then remember to use Waaagh! to ensure you get there.

More to what you are saying, yes, Marines can put down a fair amount of models if they aren't diving headlong into the Elites and Heavy choices. Against Orks bolters are extremely effective and when fielded in such large quantities it can be rough going. Toss in all the templates he had and it's an uphill battle. In your case I'd have hid my Trukks behind my Battlewagon since you don't have a Big Mek with a KFF. Let them shoot the AV14 vehicles while your AV10 takes cover. You'll be moving slower but you can set yourself up to be in range to zoom around the BW, unload and charge. One of the hardest things for me to learn with Orks was patience. It's easy to take the Ork mindset and rush straight in at full speed but unless you're setup with a green tide list then it just falls short every time.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

He must have gotten insanely lucky (as in 6s followed by 6s) to kill your battlewagon first turn. For four devestators with rockets, its about a 7% chance each turn.

Next time you play, you'll have that kill kannon to make him pay for forming his tac marines up in a wall. That will force him to spread out more and allow you to take apart his squads piecemeal.

How did your deffkoptaz do? If you didn't outflank them then you should consider doing so. Also think about splitting them into two groups. 1 with the buzzsaw to go after the techmarine and thunderfire cannon and 2 with rokkitz to come in near the whirly and blow it straight to hell.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2009, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
He must have gotten insanely lucky (as in 6s followed by 6s) to kill your battlewagon first turn. For four devestators with rockets, its about a 7% chance each turn.
I didnt mention little things in the army list such as special weapons in his command squad - which included a lascannon boy. This squad set up on the far left and he lascannoned into the side armour of the battlewagon in his turn 1 to explode it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus

How did your deffkoptaz do? If you didn't outflank them then you should consider doing so. Also think about splitting them into two groups. 1 with the buzzsaw to go after the techmarine and thunderfire cannon and 2 with rokkitz to come in near the whirly and blow it straight to hell.
I got first turn, so i thought to use scout move, but he positioned his wall of marines too well - i went for the whirlwind but they were not close enough to assault after shooting into the side armour (which 2 of the 3 shots missed, even with rrolls. Third shot did not penetrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Against Orks bolters are extremely effective and when fielded in such large quantities it can be rough going. Toss in all the templates he had and it's an uphill battle.
The annoying thing about this marine player was that he did not shoot with anything that wasnt a lascannon, rocket or vehicle. All his tactical marines ran instead of shooting, and the ironclad dread did the same. He said he uses this tactic against all players and he wins a surprising number of games because it just isnt what an ork player would expect from marines.

Lucky he doesnt play Tau and use the same tactic :P

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote