Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Tyranid encounter.........
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default First Tyranid encounter.........

Hey all, Not a fancy report or anything just a wee bit about what happened.

I was down the local club again today when I seen a new face. The guy had set up a board and had his Tyranids sat on the table. I was about 30mins late to the club and started setting up my own board. After about 5mins he was still sitting there looking abit lost. I went over and introduced myself and had a quick chat. His friend was meant to be down to have him a battle but there was still no sign. I said well after you and your friend are done if you fancy a game let me know as I have never faced Tyranids.
I was playing my nephew and we where on about turn 2 when he came over and said his friend had come but did not have his force with him, So we agreed to have a match after I was done.

The match was 1750points, Seize ground, Pitched battle. The board had lots of building, walls and the like all round also 5 area terrain (Lols now I know why)

Am a Imperial Fist Space Marine player and use an anti armour list as I often have to deal with Landraider love. I basically used the same list I normally use but had to add 250points.

They failed to seize the initiative and I went first. As I have said I never played against Tyranids and never seen them used so I did not know what to shot at lol. I thought to myself take out the big guys standing back and not in a squad and thatís what I tried. I fired my Lascannon from my predator into one of his Carnifex thingies but was told about the Synapse rule (Bummer no instant kill.) The game pity much went ok in the shooting phase for me but I was just targeting random models. I think he was using a couple of Hormagaunt Broods on the right side, I was knocking them out a good bit. When he took his first turn it was a case of running and fleeting then 12Ē Assault!! I never heard the like but they where Beasts and could do that. Thankfully they had to come thought cover and failed to make the 12Ē mark. While he was shooting though with all his big guys I just thought to myself how many bloody blast templates and large blast templates can one army have.

As we played on I was just finding out about his units and they have some nice special rules and skills. The Gaunts have a weapon that was pity good, assault 2 range 18 and reroll the failed to wounds or something like that.

One thing that got me and I donít quite understand and I hope you lot can help me is, In an assault he attacked with what I think was 3 lots of Hormagaunt or they might have been a mix of three units. He attacked at I 4 and I 1?!! E rm there was a lot of attacks at the I4 and then about the same amount at I1 does any one know what could of happened here?

The other thing that got me was this area terrain he had made extra clear and told me about 2 times was area terrain. I had my Whirlwind and Demolisher nicely parked next to it when a Lictor magically appeared Via Deepstrike and assaulted my Whrilwind on the same turn LOL was funny thinking about it nowÖ.

In the end I won holding one marker, one free and one contested. Victory to the Imperial fists!!!

But I may say it was a great match and I think dumb luck pulled me though. I hope to learn more about this New Foe Called Tyranid and hope that you have managed to read this lot of random words I have put together as a Post.
;D
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: First Tyranid encounter.........

Quote:
One thing that got me and I donít quite understand and I hope you lot can help me is, In an assault he attacked with what I think was 3 lots of Hormagaunt or they might have been a mix of three units. He attacked at I 4 and I 1?!! E rm there was a lot of attacks at the I4 and then about the same amount at I1 does any one know what could of happened here?
I really don't know what to say because the hormagaunts cannot get an upgrade that allows you to strike at I1 as well as your normal attacks. He may have been confused on the pyschic power catalyst used by hive tyrants and zoantrouphes(that I know of) which means if the die both they can attack they still can attack back but after that they still die. Either way they only get to attack once.

That's good that you had this experience but I wouldn't research them a whole lot becuase their new codex comes out in January.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Quote:
I really don't know what to say because the hormagaunts cannot get an upgrade that allows you to strike at I1 as well as your normal attacks. He may have been confused on the pyschic power catalyst used by hive tyrants and zoantrouphes(that I know of) which means if the die both they can attack they still can attack back but after that they still die. Either way they only get to attack once.

That's good that you had this experience but I wouldn't research them a whole lot becuase their new codex comes out in January.
Thanks Mandalorian, That what he must of used and I might of got confussed about how he used it. But his Hive tyrant was at the other end of the board and I think he might of had a zoantrouphe some where nearby.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 02:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

It is a 24in pyschic power so he would have to roll for it first but whatever it is down with haha. No problem dude but like I said the new Tyranid codex is coming out and I think you should wait unless you are constantly battleing him or something haha.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Without having seen your game, it's not possible to know, but if he had multiple units, it would matter if he assaulted through difficult terrain. Some of his hormagaunts might have had flesh hooks (which count as frag grenades) and thus make those attacks come in at I4, while some of his hormagaunts might not have had them, and so their attacks could come through at I1 for assaulting through difficult terrain. All hormagaunts in a single brood (unit) must be similarly biomorphed, but if there were multiple units then they could be different. They also get a lot of attacks, 3x each on the charge, and you can conceivably have a huge unit (up to 32x) of them, so that might have been what you saw.

Lictors have special deployment rules. They *must* deepstrike into area terrain, and they will not scatter out of it. It represents the Lictor already being there and popping out of it's camouflage kind of like this. A lictor is placed, and then you roll the deepstrike scatter die for them, they'll only scatter up to the edge of the area terrain or any impassible terrain inside it (including friendly and enemy models as per pg 13 in the rulebook). It's kind of dumb at present, but according to the rules, your opponent would need to take a dangerous terrain test for the lictor when they deepstrike into the area terrain due to the difficult terrain as dangerous terrain rule under deep striking. They may assault out of the deep strike if they are in range as well. If you know your opponent has a Lictor, it's best to keep your vehicles out of assault range from any area terrain, at S6 + Rending (although not an MC) they often can pop the lighter rear vehicle armor in CC, assuming it's not something like a monolith or land raider. You can get around this though by covering certain pieces of area terrain you don't want them to be able to use with enough models so that there is no where they can place the Lictor so there is at least 1" on ever side of it away from your own enemy models - then the lictor can't deploy there as it's not a valid place to put it for deepstrike. More difficult usually, but if you have covered *all* area terrain like that and there is no valid area to place the Lictor, it rolls on the deepstrike mishap table, on a 5-6 it's delayed, but on anything else it's destroyed outright because there's no valid place to put it. That's about the only way they ever wind up on the deepstrike mishap table, seeing as they can't effectively scatter into a position they can't be placed.

Also, a Lascannon would not insta-kill a Carnifex it's T6 unit, you aren't ever going to double its T in S. Synapse is useful for keeping the mid-sized multi-wound T4 units safe, like Warriors, Raveners, Lictors, and Zoanthropes safe from insta-kill though.

As stated, the new Tyranid Codex is out in January, so things will change, but if you play him again before then, the above is how they work.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks Nezalhualixtlan very usefull info you give me there. Also the Youtube Vid is thats just what he did lol. If I play him again I will make sure to have piccs and do a proper report
Old 27 Oct 2009, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Glad to be of assistance.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote