Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[PICS] Tau vs Tyranids :: 1000pts :: October 24th 2009
Old 24 Oct 2009, 11:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default [PICS] Tau vs Tyranids :: 1000pts :: October 24th 2009

This game was primarily played so I could see whether I had enough dakka to cope with horde armies. I specifically asked to meet this hordy nids list seeing as the changes I had made mostly made changes that took away volume of shots. Anyway, I want to be sure how I want my lists to look before I expand to 1500 points and I think I'm getting rather close. A couple more games against shooty lists (IG/Marines preferred) and I think I'll be good to go!

This is my first game (in 5th ed) at a 6' x 4' table by the way - I really enjoyed the extra space!

.::. Battle Report Tau vs Tyranids: "For the Greater Good!" .::.
[hr]

Army Lists

Tau
Shas’o – Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod. Hard-wired Multi-tracker
Shas’vre – Twin-linked Missile Pod, Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Hard-wired Multi-tracker
Shas’ui – Twin-linked Flamers, Missile Pod
10 Kroot
10 Kroot
6 Firewarriors in
Warfish – Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod and Multi-tracker
Railhead – Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod and Multi-tracker
Railhead – Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod and Multi-tracker
Broadside - Team Leader, Advanced Stabilization System, Hard-wired Drone Controller with 1 Shield Drone

Tyranids
1 Flying Hive Tyrant with melee nastyness
14 Termagaunts
14 Termagaunts
11 Hormagaunts
6 Genestealers
6 Genestealers
2 Zoanthropes
1 meleefex
1 shootyfex

Preparations
We rolled for mission, getting "Seize Ground". Deployment was "Table Quarters". I won the roll for deployment, choosing the south-east corner due to the lack of cover in the north-west corner for him and opted to go first. He tried to seize initiative but failed.

Units held in reserve
Tau: One unit of Kroot (after I forgot to infiltrate them)
Tyranids: The flying Hive Tyrant

Objectives:
Three Objectives were placed, and I won the roll for placement, placing 2 in fairly open places. He placed his in a fairly open place as well. I was pretty happy with the layout and objectives. The battlefield looked like this:

Deployment:

Turn 1
[hr]

Tau

I moved my right Hammerhead onto the building in the north-east corner. It had 2 floors which granted me a supreme overview over the entire map - perfect to lay down pieplates at his advancing gaunts. The rest of my force didn't move too much, the Kroot took up marginally better positions from which to shoot next turn while the crisis suits inched forwards to good firing positions, ready to lay down some missiles. My flamer suit which was originally placed to threaten a south-flanking approach suddenly seemed to be needed closer to the objectives so I moved it towards the central building.

In the shooting phase my AFP was just out of range of landing its blast on the carnifex with plenty of gaunts on both sides (it was less than an inch away!). The other two pieplates both scattered but due the densely packed nids still managed to kill a total of 9 gaunts. The commander and flamersuit opened up with missile pods on the stealers next to his shootyfex, downing 2 of their number. The broadside put a wound on the shootyfex since it lacked a better target.

Tyranids

Everything moved forward with mediocre runs across the board. His shootyfex landed a template on my Kroot - with a 'hit' on the scatter die I had 5 cover saves to take... I said "ok I'm going to roll them one at a time to see if I can copy the effect from my Hammerhead's cover saves last game against the Orks (in which 8/8 cover saves were passed!)". To my amazement, every single save was passed. I was told jokingly that rolling one die at a time was from now on forbidden. His Zoanthrope targeted the 'fish, being in range of a powerful blast. He passed his test, hit the fish.... and proceeded to roll a 1 for penetration. Phew!

Turn 2
[hr]

Tau

His meleefex had gotten across the terrain and was now in the open for me to target. The suits all moved to good firing positions, passing all their dangerous terrain tests. The Commander moved west to target the meleefex as did the Hammerhead.

My Commander, broadside and the Hammerhead in the building put 3 wounds on the meleefex, which left my other Hammerhead free to pieplate some more, with only 2 wounds left I was confident I could bring the fex down next turn. The tank and the Kroot killed another handful of Gaunts on the left flank.

Tyranids

His Tyrant arrived! He opted to land it close to my Broadside, behind the wall. It didn't scatter but I wasn't too worried with its position - it was far away from my main lines and the objectives and with its mediocre save I was confident it wouldn't be too much of a troublemaker, although my Broadside would surely bite the dust. The rest of his nids moved forwards, readying an assault next turn. His Zoanthropes both failed to do anything, one missing and the other failing to wound my Crisis suit with the AFP.

Turn 3
[hr]

Tau

The game was now proving to be quite action-packed! My Kroot arrived, rolling for outflank they came in on his side and I tried to move them into the cover of the hill. A poor run roll saw them standing 2" short of the hill, failing to get to cover from the shootyfex. My commander moved within rapidfire range of the meleefex while the other suits took up position to blast the gaunts on my right flank. I figured I could deal with the Hormagaunts and Tyrant later. The left Hammerhead moved away, placing itself on top of the building next to the Kroot who took up positions to rapidfire the oncoming Termagaunts and receive a Hormagaunt-assault next turn.

My commander killed off the Carnifex on his own, which was a major relief as the rest could now target the squishier units. In between the Kroot, a Hammerhead, the Devilfish and 2 XV8's, the remaining stealers and all but 2 gaunts died, which pretty much left that flank safe. The left Hammerhead blasted away at the advancing Hormagaunts, killing them down to 5 left and downing a couple of Termagaunts in the process, leaving only 4 alive.

The Broadside knows he's dead so he promptly puts a wound on the Tyrant for The Greater Good.

Tyranids

His 4 remaining Termagaunts decide to camp at the middle objective, getting cover from most of my lines. The Hormagaunts assault the Kroot and the Genestealers on the left fail to reach the Broadside, rolling a miserable '1' for their run. This means the Tyrant has to kill him off - delaying him from reaching my main line!

The 5 Hormagaunts manage to hit with an amazing 5/15 attacks! 2 Kroot die and the rest proceed to wipe the gaunts out! The Broadside dies in assault vs the Tyrant but it has done its job.

Turn 4
[hr]

Tau

My Commander moves within rapidfire range of his Tyrant. The Kroot move to assault the nearest Zoanthrope.

In the shooting phase my commander puts 2 wounds on the Tyrant, allowing my Hammerhead to finish it off. This leaves the other Hammerhead free to target a Zoanthrope which it wounds. The flamer-suit takes out the last 2 gaunts and the AFP-suit fails to hurt the other, as does my Devilfish.

In assault the Kroot fail to do anything and lose 1 in return, promptly failing their leadership test AND rolling a poor '2' for initiative test which means the Zoanthrope kills them easily with a roll of a '3'. Sigh, I guess I asked too much from them after they had survived a shootyfex-blast, killed off some Termagaunts AND beat the Hormagaunts back to the Hive from which they came.

Tyranids

Again his shooting fails to do anything so he decides to assault my flamer-suit with the 1 wound Zoanthrope! The Genestealers move toward the middle objective.

At this point the store we're playing at announces we have to leave soon (since they're closed already, we're lucky not to be thrown out instantly) so the game has to end after turn 5.

My Crisis fails to wound his Zoanthrope in melee, but worse, he passes his armour save having taken a wound from the Zoanthrope! This means I will not get to kill it off and claim the eastern objective with my Fire Warriors!

Turn 5
[hr]

Tau

The Devilfish moves 12" towards the middle objective where his Termagaunts have been the last couple of turns. I disembark my Fire Warriors as close as I can, hoping to be within 3" of it. The rest of my force target his remaining 4 gaunts and 4 stealers and properly kills them all.

Tyranids

Since he can't win and the game has to end, he simply moves the shootyfex up towards the objective and with a proper run roll of '2' he is close enough to contest it.

The game end and it's a tie with him having 3 models left on the table, 2 of which are already wounded.

[hr]

Thoughts:

For once the Commander seemed to be worth it, although it was mostly the CIB/plasma combo that was deadly. Missile Pods are still amazingly nice though, they have such a high range and with his BS you're guaranteed to get some hits. I originally thought about dropping him to an 'el and maybe invest the spare points in something else due to the lack of the Missile Pod but now I'm not so sure - he's expensive but versatile!

Turn 3 was a turning point, by the end of Turn 2 it looked like I wouldn't be able to hold him all off, however during Turn 3 my units really did their thing above and beyond the call of duty and took out a huge portion of his army. Granted, the setting was perfect but still downing so much of his force in but a shooting phase just felt great!

Kroot continue to impress me, I'm sort of annoyed I forgot to infiltrate the second unit. I would've put them in the building where my Hammerhead sat most of the game, as it turned out they proved to be fairly useless.

The Broadside's Shield drone hasn't really been worth it in any games, yet. That being said, I haven't played particularly nasty, shooty lists. It might be worth it against armies like IG/shooty marines.

I think my list performed pretty well, the Kroot actually do provide a fair degree of dakka and can even be counted upon (to a certain extent) to actually do something in melee!

~Olannon

Olannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2009, 21:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [PICS] Tau vs Tyranids :: 1000pts :: October 24th 2009

Nice win. Looks like hordes won't be a problem with that list.

I use the same loadout on my commander, and I've always liked it. I would drop him down to an El though, especially at 1000 points. Just add the targeting array to keep his BS.

I also put the plasma rifle and multitracker on my broadsides, just for deepstriking tyrants/terminators. Shooting 3 low AP shots at something, usually in the open, is quite nice.

I am a big supporter of kroot too. It amazes me how many people don't infiltrate them in 5th, and only outflank. Granted you forgot, but you intended to.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah it wasn't a win though, only a morale win ^^

If I drop my commander to a Shas'el I'll lose BS5 and 3 weapons - I'll either have to make him BS4 and 3 weapons or BS5 and two weapons. At the moment I love the versatility.

As for broadsides with plasma, I've thought about it and it definitely is viable, however that leads to them being very specialized and I'm not too sure I want to forgo the sms.

As for Kroot, it bothers me that I forgot to infiltrate them. Having them block one of the 2 main approach lines could've altered the game drastically. As it turned out, all they did was stop the shootyfex from targeting my main lines for a turn.

Anyway, I like how the list plays and intend to expand to 1500 with a few tricks ^^

Input on how I can make these battle reports cleaner/more organized is also very welcomed. Writing rather big posts like this is all about going easy on the eyes

~Olannon
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Somehow I missed the MP in your commander's description. I use the plasma/CIB loadout on my El. I feel like suits are better when they are specialized instead of take all comers.

Don't feel like broadsides with plasma are specialized though. Its more of an insurance policy for deep strikers/outflankers. I never moved towards the enemy to get the plasmas in range, I only have them as a defensive measure. The XV88's main role is still taking down tanks. Don't let the slight loadout change, make you alter their use at all.

I think your report was fine. Only way to really improve it would be to add fluff.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2009, 20:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

To be fair, the Tyranid list wasn't that good. Small broods across the table, and expensive synapse in 1000 points.

You did OK, and obviously you both should refine your lists a little bit.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Nice battle report. To improve something you might want to represent what direction stuff is facing in the Vassal pictures.

Im glad it was Objectives oterwise i would have been obliterated, something like 8 to 2 in killpoints :P
Seeing as it was an objective based game and i had 2/3 almost in my deployment zone i could just have lurked around in terrain waiting for the Tau to swoop in at the last turn hoping to survive my last turn assault, but that again wouldn't have been a very entertaining game, something to consider in a tournament perhaps but not in the regular friendly games.

@madcat The Tyranid army is currently on hold until the next edition of the codex, those 1000 pts is basicly all i have.
The army was begun at the end of 4th edition and was put on hold as i realised 5th made tyranids basicly a monstrous creature army and not the chittering horde of little alien bodies i wanted it to be.
With the new Edition i hope to drop most my monstrous creatures and go with the horde aspect again, imo the "real" tyranids
Old 28 Oct 2009, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat
To be fair, the Tyranid list wasn't that good. Small broods across the table, and expensive synapse in 1000 points.

You did OK, and obviously you both should refine your lists a little bit.
Fielding all comers lists, I don't see how you would make a semi-competitive friendly list with either of these two armies that clearly do better than both of them. Your comments here are also without much substance, which sort of makes them useless. You stated Tyranids had expensive synapse but apart from that you don't really give much reason for your statements.

As to the facing, I turned every model towards the other army at Turn 1 in vassal, however I didn't bother angling them after that.

If the nids would've lurked around the objectives they would've been in the open, but even then could've been rather hard to take down, even given 5 turns. Placing TMC's in front of the gaunts would've provided cover for the most of them etc. Regardless, would not have made for a fun game.

Regarding Broadside with plasma - I intend to add another suit in 1500 points and I can't give them both multi-trackers and A.S.S. If I am to play my 1k Broadside with plasma it would sort of make 2 inefficient I feel at 1500 points since they'll have different loadouts. It might be worth a try though, seeing as 1 extra sms rarely makes a difference.

Tomorrow I'm playing guard, and I will swap a minor element out of this list to try something new I intend to field in 1500 points. Stay tuned for another battle report within the weekend!

Cheers,
~Olannon
Old 07 Nov 2009, 19:56   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to AsKyyra Scorpios

Don't mind me, I'm a newbie. Just wanted to say I'm sure someone told me rolling a dice at a time (as in turn 1) is illegal but then again maybe they just didn't want people cheating by influencing their dice rolls (which is much easier with one dice I'm told) Also where do you get the "vassal" pics, I'd love to use them in a battle report I intend to post sometime this or next month.

Thanks in advance
Scorpios

GOVERNOR: "WTF!? Teh Imperium iz taxin' how much monies!?1?!/!?!? REBEEEEEEELLL!"
ECCLESSIARCHY: "Oh Noes! Teh Rebelz!"
SPACE MARINES: "Lol teh stupid fcukin' n00bz!"
GOVERNOR: "Nooo! Spess Mahrens pwnd meeee!"
*GOVERNOR is gib-fragged by SPACE MARINES.*
ECCLESSIARCHY: "U r teh new Governor now n00b! Pay teh tax or Marines pwn j00 2!"
NEW GOV: "Okay! Here teh monies! Plz don't spawn-raep!"
SPACE MARINES: "lol."
AsKyyra Scorpios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 00:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Rolling once die at a time as compard to rolling loads makes absolutely no difference mathematically. It does however make it a lot more exciting If you somehow possess the skills to throw a dice so that it always lands on one side I suppose it could make a difference, although it's not really likely that someone can actually be that good at rolling dice ^^

Vassal is a Java-based modular program at which there exists a 40k module which allows you to play/make battle reports. Google Vassal or something, should be pretty clear.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 05:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The Airburst Fragmentation Projector and the Cyclic Ion Blaster are both Special Issue, only one can be taken per army. Sorry if this is seen as a bit of Necromancy but I only just noticed.