Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard VS (mostly) Khornate Daemons - 1000 points - October 9th, 2009.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim
Default Imperial Guard VS (mostly) Khornate Daemons - 1000 points - October 9th, 2009.

So, on Friday me & a friend decided to play each other for our first game of the club's Planetary Empires campaign (though it turned out it hasn't actually started yet, d'oh!).

Army Lists

Imperial Guard (me)
HQ
-Command Squad with laspistols, regimental standard, voxcaster & power sword
Troops
-Platoon 1:
Platoon Command with laspistols, 3 meltaguns, voxcaster & power sword
Infantry Squad with voxcaster
Infantry Squad with voxcaster
Special Weapons Team with 3 demolition charges
-Platoon 2:
Platoon Command with laspistols, autocannon, voxcaster & power sword
Infantry Squad with autocannon, grenade launcher & voxcaster
Infantry Squad with autocannon & voxcaster
Heavy Support
-Leman Russ Punisher with heavy bolter sponsons & heavy stubber
-Manticore with heavy flamer & hunter-killer missile

Chaos Daemons (him)
HQ
-Bloodthirster with instrument of Chaos, unholy might, blessings of the blood god & death strike
Troops
-10 Bloodletters with instrument of Chaos & Chaos icon
-10 Bloodletters with instrument of Chaos & Chaos icon
-10 Daemonettes with instrument of Chaos
Fast Attack
-5 Flesh Hounds

Match
Pregame
I won the roll-off & rolled Dawn of War & Sieze Ground (5 objectives!). They were deployed in the same way as the '5' on a dice; 2 in each deployment zone & 1 bang in the middle.

Objective 1 was placed in the Cities of Death Sanctum Imperialis in my opponent's zone. Objective 2 was placed at the very top of the tall CoD Basilica (inside my deployment zone). Objective 3 was placed in a cluster of ruins in his zone. Objective 4 was placed in the far right corner of my zone. Objective 5 was placed bang in the middle of the board. (after a quick look at the rulebook just now, it seems we forgot the rule about them not being within 12" of the board edge, oops :-X) Additionally, there was a Manifactorum in between Objectives 4 & 5.

I chose to go second & set my units up with the Manticore, the Infantry Squad with just an autocannon from Platoon 2, & an Infantry Squad from Platoon 1 surrounding Objective 1. The Platoon 2 Command Squad was located in the center-edge of my zone & I placed the other Infantry Squad from Platoon 2 & the Company Command Squad in the Basilica. Finally, the Punisher, Platoon 1 Command, Demo Team & the last Infantry Squad were placed near Objective 5.

My opponent's preffered cohort featured a Bloodletter squad, the Flesh Hounds & the Daemonettes.

Turn 1
Daemons
The preferred cohort was successfully rolled for & he deep struck the Daemonettes next to the Punisher, the Bloodletters next to Objective 1 & the Flesh Hounds in the Manifactorum. No scatters, hurrah. The Bloodletters ran further into the Sanctum.

Guard
The Platoon 1 Command & Demo-chargers move up to secure Objective 5, whilst the nearby Infantry Squad moves round to get a clear line of sight to the lurking Flesh Hounds.

The first shot of the battle is rolled with 35 others, as the Punisher unleshes a torrenting hail of shrapnel & mass-reactive shells at the foul daemons of Slaanesh (or am I just wierd when I describe bald women with lobster claws & feet big enough to put Ronald McDonald to shame as 'foul'?). Anyways, he manages to fail exactly 10 saves - just enough to wipe the squad out. The moving infantry squad opens fire at the growling, blood-soaked hounds of the blood god, using 'frfsrf'; a well-renouned - if unprenouncible - technique. However, only one falls. The Manticore then decides to show off & wipe the remainder out with a single large blast from one of its rockets. No LoS can be traced to the Bloodletters, so my turn ends.

Losses
IG
-none
Daemons
-10 Daemonettes
-5 Flesh Hounds

Turn 2
Daemons
Out of the two remaining chosen of Khorne, the lesser daemons stand by to watch the almighty & rightly feared Bloodthirster (who I respectfully dubbed 'pancake-face') attempt to tear itself from the very ground near which the foolish mortals dared to step. Though he managed to scatter into the Platoon 1 Command Squad & then have a 1 rolled for mishap. "Balls!"
In spirit of the game, though, I decided it would be much more fun to shoot the living bejesus out of it, & so let it simply appear as he planned - which was pretty much on top of Objective 5 & surrounded by masses of small arms & weapons designed for taking out suitably large tanks. Just as a blood-obsessed thing should do!

Said giant, raving, psychotic, flat-faced monstrocity proceeds to throw a large axe at the voxcaster-carrier for Platoon 1 Command, leaving a large smear of blood across the ground & a not-very-pleasant sight at the end of it.

Guard
Simple enough here; everything in the surrounding area (Platoon 1 Command, Demos & Infantry) was moved directly towards the Bloodthirster, forming a thick semi-circle around it.

Shooting! And plenty of it too. The commander of Platoon 1 gives his momentarily stunned squad the order to "Bring IT DOWN!", which they pull off a little by knocking a wound off. 3 to go... The commander of Platoon 2 sees this & precisely follows suit - though this time by yelling "IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZ0RZ BLAAAARGH!!!". The Punisher goes next, taking another off, leaving the greater daemon with just one. For 'teh lolz', I decided to try to kill the Bloodthirster through use of the humble lasgun. Sadly, it saved the 3 wounds they somehow managed to inflict upon it. It also ignored everything the squad placed in the Basilica shot at it.
Because this was it's first use, I then decided to see if I could take the beast down with the Manticore. 2 blasts, no LoS & 6 dead Guardsmen later, the thing was still standing. And I had 2 morale checks to make at the end of the phase. Whoops...
Finally, because there's nothing left with range & sight, I used what I should have used long before - the 6-inch-range Battlecannons. So I can now happily say that my army has taken out a Bloodthirster by demo-charging it to the face ("is there ever a situation where demo-charging something to the face ISN'T a good idea?").

The heroic men then proceed to run away.

Losses
IG
-the voxcaster guy from the Platoon 1 Command Squad
-4 men from the Special Weapons Squad & 2 meltagunners from Platoon 1 Command (friendly fire)
Daemons
-a Bloodthirster

Turn 3
Daemons
Not very encouraged by their leader's downfall (& now it seems DEEP into "f-it" territory), the Bloodletters depart the warp & arrive face-to-face with a vehicle carrying 2 large rockets & a smaller missile sticking off the side of it, along with twenty men quizzically staring at them.

Guard
The Demolition Team, their job done, continues to retreat, while the rest of the army moves towards a newly sighted enemy. The Manticore - half its rockets expended - lets the men around it move aside so it can trundle forwards, & places the muzzle of its hull-mounted heavy flamer up against one of the red devils' heads (in fact it could only touch the wierd pointy bit at the top of their head).

The flamer shoots forth a stream of promethium, hot enough to boil the blood the daemons are drenched in, & sending 4 of them back to the abyss. The rest are promtly finished off by the work of the nearby handy punisher cannon.

Losses
IG
-none
Daemons
-10 Bloodletters

Turn 4
Daemons
Assuming their brethren are taking control of the rest of the battlefield, the Bloodletters inside the Sanctum Imperialis continue to wait. Their job is undignified, & they lust for the killing they can imagine the rest of the army to be doing. They begin to squabble amongst themselves, some saying loyalty to the Blood God requires them to remain where they are for now, whilst the others argue that loyalty to the Blood God requires them simply to kill in His name.

Guard
They are promptly blown to pieces by a storm eagle rocket that split into 3, just after the remenants of the demolition charge carriers run away from a foe that now no longer exists.

Losses
IG
-the last 2 members of the Special Weapons Squad (friendly fire & cowardice)
Daemons
-10 Bloodletters

Aftermath
Imperial Guard win primarily by tabling. They also hold 3 objectives.

Total Losses
IG
-3 members of the Platoon 1 Command squad & the Special Weapons Team (all bar the voxcaster of Platoon 1 Command due to friendly fire)
Daemons
-20 Bloodletters, 10 Daemonettes, 5 Flesh Hounds & a Bloodthirster

The Manticore certainly made its points back (unless we deduct some for killing 'friendlies'), & the Puniser certainly took its fair share of the kills. It seems though that what made the battle was the deployment of the daemons. Admittedly, there wasn't really anywhere they could go where they would be safe, but I doubt the best place to dump the Bloodthirster was in sight & range of most of the army. I doubt it helped that he wasn't in the best of moods & the child by us who kept asking for us to use his Cyclops certainly couldn't have made things better, but still.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 03:13   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Imperial Guard VS (mostly) Khornate Daemons - 1000 points - October 9th, 2009.

Great Battle report (and funny too)
Zaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2009, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Imperial Guard VS (mostly) Khornate Daemons - 1000 points - October 9th, 2009.

Good battle report. It was very funny and entertaining. ;D

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2009, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Why thank you, it's pretty much all just the images I got in my head as we were playing. ;D

I was a bit worried I'd made it too long at first, but maybe the length's okay.